Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
In the Generation III games, can you use Swagger on your partner Pokemon in a double battle in the same turn that Pokemon uses Protect?

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In the Generation III games, can you use Swagger on your partner Pokemon in a double battle in the same turn that Pokemon uses Protect?
Yes, but Swagger will fail. Protect has +3 Priority (+4 post Gen IV), so Protect will activate, and then your other Pokemon will use Swagger (+/-0 Priority) which will hit the Protect and have no effect. Protect works against every move except for Curse, Doom Desire, Future Sight, Imprison, Perish Song, Psych Up, Role Play, Sketch and Transform in gen III.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Same for Golbat, it says something like "Golbat is evoving .... and then ?" and it stops
It doesn't even do that. It just doesn't evolve at all. FR/LG are really strange when it comes to Dex completion/allowing other things onto the carts when you don;t have the National Dex. IIRC it even blocks you from selecting non-Kanto Pokemon to go to a game where you don't have the National Dex. Not sure if trading eggs get's you around this particular thing but hey.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't evolve because FireRed and LeafGreen don't want you to have anything past #151 before you get the National Dex.
Same for Golbat, it says something like "Golbat is evoving .... and then ?" and it stops
It doesn't even do that. It just doesn't evolve at all. FR/LG are really strange when it comes to Dex completion/allowing other things onto the carts when you don;t have the National Dex. IIRC it even blocks you from selecting non-Kanto Pokemon to go to a game where you don't have the National Dex. Not sure if trading eggs get's you around this particular thing but hey.
That's what I thought, but I was just curious if they planed for trade evolutions (I didn't know if they just blocked happiness evolutions).
I do know about trading eggs: you simply can't trade eggs over until you have the National Dex.

That's what I thought, but I was just curious if they planed for trade evolutions (I didn't know if they just blocked happiness evolutions).
I do know about trading eggs: you simply can't trade eggs over until you have the National Dex.
I tried it once by trying to trade over an Onix with Metal Coat to Leafgreen (before league). The Onix refused to evolve and it just came through like any other Pokémon holding a Metal Coat.

Looking to learn if there's any special way to reset for Nature/IVs for event Pokemon. (Picked up in Pokemon Center from delivery girl.)

Got the Jirachi wondercard on the last day, so it would have my birthday as the day met, and hope to reset for some competitive IVs natures.

Currently sitting on a Jolly, 31/14/31/10/31/11
Which I imagine is far from the best.

Looking to learn if there's any special way to reset for Nature/IVs for event Pokemon. (Picked up in Pokemon Center from delivery girl.)

Got the Jirachi wondercard on the last day, so it would have my birthday as the day met, and hope to reset for some competitive IVs natures.

Currently sitting on a Jolly, 31/14/31/10/31/11
Which I imagine is far from the best.
There is some information here

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/soft-resetting-guide-pokémon-xy-and-oras.3523818/

although I'm not aware if there is anything specifically on SRing for competitive event Pokemon. I'm fairly certain that it's just luck (unless you are using RNG manipulation), but I may be incorrect. Otherwise, get ready for grinding away your time.

There is some information here

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/soft-resetting-guide-pokémon-xy-and-oras.3523818/

although I'm not aware if there is anything specifically on SRing for competitive event Pokemon. I'm fairly certain that it's just luck (unless you are using RNG manipulation), but I may be incorrect. Otherwise, get ready for grinding away your time.

Aye, that's what I've been able to find, which is an incredibly useful source for later on. (I've not even finished @S yet, first pokemon game in nearly a decade and I just spent 2 months (with only 5 badges) just breeding and wondertrading my way up to a semi competitive team, which happened to also work with the upcoming flash clash.)

I'm hoping there's more than luck involved with event pokemon but I've not found any evidence contrary.

Hey guys, would a guide on completing the Living Dex something you would like to see, I have a written out version of my experience completing in, and what it is as well as pro's and con's if anyone would like to read, just to see if any one is interested before posting. I am going to sleep at the moment, but send me a private message, or a quote to let me know. Thanks :)

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do I make a spoiler, like in ZAquanimus's post?
Also if you want your spoiler tag to say something (Eg. "Spoiler"), then do it like this:
Code:
[hide=Spoiler]<Contents of spoiler tag>[/hide]
So for example:
Code:
[hide=Your Text Here]content[/hide]
becomes
content

Does anyone have a spare Darkrai code or think they could grab an extra? I don't live near a Gamestop. Shoot me a PM if you're willing to help!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Does anyone have a spare Darkrai code or think they could grab an extra? I don't live near a Gamestop. Shoot me a PM if you're willing to help!
Might be better off asking in Wifi if you have not done so already, but I think they have rules against begging for codes... :P

Hi all. Long time lurker and rarely a poster. I just picked up ORAS and am currently working through the story. I haven't played a pokemon game since Black/White previously, and I'm looking to get back into the scene. I've kept up with research on the metagames to an extent, but I'm curious as to what teams are currently good, but won't take an exuberant amount of time to create.

Just a few things someone may know before suggesting.

1) I don't have any friends that play, so it'll be hard to get trade pokemon/harder to obtain.

2) I've never once bred a single competitive pokemon. I've read and bookmarked several great guides that I plan to use, but I'm still a breeding Virgin lol.

3) Thank you in advance!

4) Apparently I just fought a pokemon with pokerus as well too haha. So I guess I have that going for me. Willing to give anyone pokerus if needed.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi all. Long time lurker and rarely a poster. I just picked up ORAS and am currently working through the story. I haven't played a pokemon game since Black/White previously, and I'm looking to get back into the scene. I've kept up with research on the metagames to an extent, but I'm curious as to what teams are currently good, but won't take an exuberant amount of time to create.

Just a few things someone may know before suggesting.

1) I don't have any friends that play, so it'll be hard to get trade pokemon/harder to obtain.

2) I've never once bred a single competitive pokemon. I've read and bookmarked several great guides that I plan to use, but I'm still a breeding Virgin lol.

3) Thank you in advance!

4) Apparently I just fought a pokemon with pokerus as well too haha. So I guess I have that going for me. Willing to give anyone pokerus if needed.
Ok, so if you really want to breed a good team for a certain meta then I'd recommend trying it out and improving it on Pokémon Showdown, then getting it in-game. On the other hand, if you want a good team for the Battle Maison, I'd recommend looking over the thread. Luckily for you, thanks to the Pokenav Plus you're able to find pretty much any Pokémon (most legendaries included) and if you want a version exclusive, you can put the one you have on the GTS.
If you're stuck on team building, try the following:
  • Check out RMTs other people have posted, or teams in the Battle Maison thread.
  • Try using DexNav to get a Ditto with a few good IVs. Due to its breeding properties it can prove to be a tremendous asset. It can only be found in
    Mirage Spots
    though which is a problem.
  • Get right into it! This kind of contradicts the stuff I said earlier about testing your team on PS earlier, but battles are really fun on cartridge! True, PS runs more smoothly but in-game animations are just beautiful. Can't decide which Mega to use? Just use your favorite and go with it!
  • Make your own RMT! Read the rules first (and maybe lurk a bit), but I've personally found the RMT sub-forum to be really helpful.
Also, sorry but this isn't really the place for non-Battle Maison related stuff i.e. competitive battling. That sort of thing has a bunch of sub-forums for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)