Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride

Choice Scarf Kyogre + Haban Berry Palkia has been one of my favorite attacking forces ever since early BW. However, to be perfectly honest, as far as creating a successful team with said combination goes, I have not been satisfied with what has come out so far. There seems to always be something I dislike about the final product, which for me is enough to stop using it. I realize that it's in no way possible to create a team that will always have a favorable team match-up, but I do want to come as close as possible.

The team:

I realize that this team looks like an extremely standard rain team (not relevant in my opinion), with the only possibly exception to this being Arceus-Water, which is more commonly used as a supporting option on sun based teams.

I would like to apologize for any grammar mistakes that I already have made or are still to come.

So, without further ado, let's get on, with, the show.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Why a Choice Scarf Kyogre?

Choice Scarf Kyogre is a massive threat in the Ubers metagame that combines excellent speed with great power. Even though Choice Specs Kyogre is arguably a bigger threat and a more popular option among the good players, I still prefer Choice Scarf Kyogre. Choice Scarf Kyogre is a pretty good revengekiller and keeps several offensive powerhouses in check.

- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Surf vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Darkrai: 109,96% - 129,54%
- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Water Spout vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Mewtwo: 138,53% - 163,17%
- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Surf vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Mewtwo: 87,54% - 103,12% (Guaranteed OHKO w/ SR)
- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Water Spout vs 0 HP/0 +1 SpDef Mewtwo: 92,63% - 109,07% (56,25% chance to OHKO) (Guaranteed OHKO w/ SR)
- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Water Spout vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Kyurem-W: 57,03% - 67,26% (2 hits to KO)
- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Ice Beam vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Soul Dew Latios: 52,49% - 61,79% (2 hits to KO)
- 252 SpAtk Kyogre (+SpAtk) Thunder vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Manaphy: 93,84% - 110,85% (62,5% chance to OHKO) (Guaranteed OHKO w/ SR)

All of these damage calculations factor in rain.

Why these four moves?

Water Spout is the main reason this set is so threatening. Even though Choice Scarf Kyogre's Water Spout isn't as powerful as Choice Specs Kyogre's, it still grants Kyogre the ability to break walls effectively and possible open up a late game sweeping opportunity for itself, Palkia or Arceus-Water. Surf is the reliable back-up stab move, and as you can see from the damage calcs, it still packs more than enough of a punch to do some major damage. Thunder and Ice Beam are Kyogre's coverage moves, allowing it to hit Pokémon that resist Water Spout and Surf, such as: Opposing Kyogre, Palkia, Giratina & Giratina-O, Rayquaza, Zekrom, Latios and Latias, Tentacruel and many more.

Why this EV spread?

The chosen EV spread in combination with a Modest nature allows Kyogre to be as powerful as possible while still outspeeding threats such as Darkrai, Shaymin-S, Mewtwo and Deoxys-A with a neutral nature for Speed. The remaining EVs are put into HP to increase Kyogre's bulk, helping it to absorb attacks such as Arceus' and Rayquaza's ExtremeSpeed a little bit better.

Changes I have considered:

- Timid Nature > Modest Nature

Palkia @ Haban Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Why a Haban Berry Palkia?

I chose Haban Berry Palkia as Kyogre's offensive partner, because I think they work extremely well together. Haban Berry Palkia has the ability to lure in and eliminate opposing threats that could compromise a Choice Scarf Kyogre sweep. Examples would be Ferrothorn, Choice Scarf Palkia, Choice Scarf Rayquaza, Choice Scarf Zekrom, Choice Scarf Kyurem-White and Latios. However, the fun doesn't end there. Haban Berry Palkia doesn't just support Palkia in sweeping teams, it can just as easily dismantle teams by itself. It has great speed, special attack, offensive typing and type coverage. All of that combined with the rain Kyogre summons doesn't leave much room for improvement, in fact, in my opinion Palkia is one of the most perfect Pokémon ever created as far as competitive play is concerned.

Why these four moves?

Type. Coverage. These four moves allow Palkia to hit the widest amount of threats it needs to hit hard. Spacial Rend is a fantastic STAB option and a pretty reliable move for Palkia to use. The main reason I decided against Draco Meteor is because I don't think it's quite powerful enough. I love running Draco Meteor on Lustrous Orb or Choice Specs Palkia, but it has just disappointed me on Haban Berry Palkia. Surf is a fantastic and reliable STAB option, which much like Kyogre's Surf packs quite a punch in rain. Surf is used over Hydro Pump purely because I more often than not do not necessarily need Hydro's power, but I do need to hit. Plus, like I said before, Surf isn't a weak attack. Thunder and Fire Blast are Palkia's (amazing) coverage attacks. Thunder allows it to counter Kyogre quite effectively and also hits threats like Lugia, Kabutops and Tentacruel extremely hard. Fire Blast roasts Ferrothorn and does delicious damage to Groudon when the sun is up. Without it Forretress would also be able to set up on Palkia when the sun is up.

Why this EV spread?

Simply because Speed and Special Attack are the only stats this Palkia set should invest in. Investing in a different stat would simply be a waste, in my humble opinion. It can tank Kyogre's attack good enough already without significant invest in Special Defense, not to mention that I also have a Ferrothorn on this team. Maximum Speed investment allows me to outspeed threats such as Kyurem-White and Rayquaza, which is absolutely crucial. To summarize: max Speed, max Special Attack. Nothing else.

- Draco Meteor > Spacial Rend

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Why a Ferrothorn?

Ferrothorn. Not many Pokémon introduced in the fifth installment of Pokémon generations have made such impact as Ferrothorn, if any. Arguably the best defensive typing introduced so far (*cough MikeDecIsHere *cough*) and fantastic defensive stats allow it to be a top tier defensive option in both OU and Uber. It covers the weaknesses Kyogre and Palkia have perfectly and provides the team with valuable entry hazards. It also helps me combat Pokémon like Latios, Latias, Shaymin-S and Zekrom, who would otherwise be big threats towards my team. Literally the only thing I would like Ferrothorn to have is Water Veil as its Dream World ability, because Kyogre's Scald pisses me off to no end. So basically, why not a Ferrothorn?

Why these four moves?

Spikes are fantastic. Spikes inflict so much damage in the long run it is (always) worth the move slot in my opinion. Leech Seed in combination with Leftovers allow Ferrothorn to at least have some form of recovery and help it to remain healthy throughout the match. Leech Seed also forces switches, which in combination with the Spikes it lays down racks up a serious amount of passive damage, effectively increasing the chances of a Choice Scarf Kyogre sweep. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are Ferrothorn's attacking options. Power Whip does huge amounts of damage to Kyogre, Manaphy and Kabutops, whilst also hurting Palkia and Kingdra. Gyro Ball prevents Pokémon like Rayquaza, Shaymin-S and Latias from setting up all over me. It also does huge damage to Mewtwo, Darkrai and Latios. Even though I love using Protect in combination with Leech Seed, I simply cannot afford not using any of the four moves I'm currently using. All four are crucial.

Why this EV spread?

I chose a specially defensive EV spread, because this way it has the least amount of trouble taking on threats like Latios and Latias. It for example helps Ferrothorn to take Hidden Power Fire in rain better. Ferrothorn is also my #1 option against Shaymin-S, which means it needs to tank multiple Air Slashes to stand a chance. Ferrothorn's natural physical bulk often times being enough also helps a lot. Choice Band Zekrom cannot 2HKO this Ferrothorn for example.

- A different EV spread. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Why a physically defensive Giratina?

Giratina does not die. It just doesn't. Ever. I personally love using this thing and I have loved it ever since 4th gen. I chose to use ''The Great Wall'' for a number of reasons. 1. Physically defensive Giratina is my favorite Rapin Spin blocker. Most Arceus-Ghost sets are beaten by Toxic, the only Giratina-O set that reliably overcomes Toxic is Rest + Sleep Talk, but that isn't as bulky as its older brother (genderless w/e) and can't hold Leftovers. Giratina is my main switch-in to Groudon, Arceus, Ho-Oh, Kabutops, Blaziken and Terrakion as well as other things. Giratina is one of the most sturdy Pokémon I have ever used and never seems to disappoint me.

Why these four moves?

Rest and Sleep Talk are currently Giratina's options to form a ''reliable'' recovery tactic, which is something I'm not going to pass up on. Will-O-Wisp is a fantastic weapon for Giratina, helping it send chills down the spines of physically offensive threats even more. Roar allows me to shuffle my opponent's team around, which in combination with the entry hazards and the burns Giratina spreads around through Will-O-Wisp creates an extreme amount of indirect damage. Dragon Tail is a very tempting option to use over either Will-O-Wisp or Roar, but I quite like Will-O-Wisp and Roar. The only thing is really don't like about that is that Taunt completely shuts Giratina down.

Why this EV spread?

Giratina has to primarily switch into physical attacking threats, so maximum physical investment isn't that farfetch'd. Furthermore, Giratina's natural special bulk doesn't require much of a boost anyway. This EV spread greatly benefits Giratina when it has to block Rapid Spin as well, seeing as even Adamant Life Orb Excadrill has an extremely hard time breaking through, especially considering that Excadrill loathes getting burnt by Will-O-Wisp.

- Dragon Tail > Will-O-Wisp or Roar
- Giratina-O > Giratina

Looking at how susceptible my team is to Spikes, changing Giratina to a Giratina-O with a similar set has come up a number of times. However, Giratina just always performs so well that I never really made the change.

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 96 HP / 136 Atk / 200 SDef / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Why a Mold Breaker Excarill?

Mold Breaker Excadrill fulfills a number of roles my team still didn't have a good option for. Excadrill functions as my Stealth Rock user and my Rapid Spin user, which are two of the most important roles, if not the most important roles in competitive battling. For that reason, I have tried not to add any more pressure on Excadrill than absolutely necessary. The few other roles it has on this team is that it (sometimes) switches in on Dialga, Calm Mind Arceus-Steel (without Will-O-Wisp) and helps me beat Substitute + Hone Claws Zekrom, other than that it sets up Stealth Rock and uses Rapid Spin. Mold Breaker Excadrill is one of favorite Rapid Spin users to use on a rain team, because it matches up relatively well against quite a lot of the commonly used sets on the commonly used Rapid Spin blockers.

Why these four moves?

Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin are key moves to almost any good Ubers team, in my opinion. Earthquake in combination with Mold Breaker provides decent enough coverage. The biggest niche this combination offers is hitting Giratina-O, even though it has Levitate as its ability. Earthquake and Toxic allow it to cripple Arceus-Ghost and most Giratina-O sets to the point where the team can eventually dispose of them.

Why this EV spread?

I realize the EV spread looks random and unnecessarily complex, but the EV placement actually makes a lot of sense. The Special Defense EVs in combination with the HP EVs allow Excadrill to come in on Dialga, provided that the rain is up. The attack EVs hit a bonus number, while also helping it take down Giratina-O, especially with Stealth Rock already set up. The Speed EVs allow it be faster than the base 90 Speed Ubers and some of their sets that include minor Speed investment. I did not create this EV spread myself, this EV spread was (as far as I am aware) created by syrim.

- Swords Dance / Substitute > Toxic
- A different EV spread. Again, suggestions are more than welcome.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SDef / 112 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Why a Calm Mind Arceus-Water?

To be perfectly honest, I never really planned on using a Calm Mind Arceus-Water. I had decided on Arceus-Water to cover up a number of remaining weaknesses, such as Kyurem-White, Reshiram and Rayquaza. My only real requirement was for me to run Ice Beam, so I could reliably take out Rayquaza. Then I started thinking about possible sets, and the first thing that came to mind was a support set. However, since I already had Ferrothorn, Giratina and Excadrill, I really didn't want another supporter. Plus, using a more offensive approach, in this case, didn't make me weaker to the aforementioned threats.

Why these four moves?

This moveset was quite the ''no-brainer'' for me. I knew I needed Ice Beam and Recover, those were crucial. Then I decided on using a Calm Mind variant, so obviously Calm Mind would take up one of the spots. After having three out of the four possible slots filled, I still hadn't chosen a STAB move, which not only is a more powerful option (duh), but also provides good coverage alongside Ice Beam. I decided to go for Surf, mainly because I really like Surf (you may or may not have noticed this by now lol) and the only other alternative would be Judgment. Even though Judgment is (slightly) more powerful, Surf has more PP, which ended up being the deciding factor.

Why this EV spread?

Out of all of the EV spreads, this definitely makes the least sense. ''Why would you invest so much in Special Defense when you're running a Calm Mind set?'' Well, that's because even though this is a Calm Mind Arceus-Water, it's a situational Calm Mind user, if that makes any sense. The EV spread allows me to come in on Kyurem-White and Reshiram, whilst still outspeeding Pokémon like Palkia, Landorus, Thundurus-Therian and Garchomp. It also allows me to survive a Draco Meteor + ExtremeSpeed combination from mixed Rayquaza. Even though I mentioned Arceus-Water is a situational Calm Mind user, the EV spread is definitely nice. I can for example easily engage a Calm Mind war against several other Arceus types, because I have a higher Special Defense stat, while we (likely) have the same Special Attack stat. An added bonus is that the difference in Special Defense will only increase as Arceus-Water calms its mind more and more, in my favor. I realize this isn't an ideal Calm Mind Arceus-Water set, but I believe it makes the team better.

- Swords Dance > Calm Mind
- Judgment > Surf

One final look at the team:

The biggest weaknesses:

- Entry Hazards

Entry hazards, especially Spikes, are the biggest weakness to this team and the main reason I decided to ask for your help. All six of my Pokémon are hit by Spikes, which is absolutely awful. Even though I have a Rapid Spin user, it's still a huge problem. There is no guarantee I will be able to Rapid Spin. I am still strongly considering to replace Giratina with a Giratina-O, which would at least decrease the threat somewhat, but it'd still be a huge issue. Any suggestions regarding this problem would be extremely welcome.

- Palkia

Palkia is a huge threat, which is something I abuse when using this team, however, it's also something I fear when I'm using this team. I usually just play around it using ''prediction''. Ferrothorn can come in on anything but a Fire Blast, Arceus-Water can come in anything but a Thunder and my own Palkia can hopefully beat it is using its Haban Berry (provided that the opposing Palkia does not hold a Haban Berry, because then it would come down to a speedtie).

- Ferrothorn

Ugh. Ferrothorn is extremely annoying to take down. If Arceus could use Scald I would've just went with Scald instead of Surf. Giratina can burn it, especially since they more often than not stay in to Spike / Leech Seed. Excadrill can come in and Rapid Spin the hazards it lays down, but Power Whip does quite a number. Palkia can Fire Blast for the 2HKO, but ''bluffing the Choice Scarf'' has become harder and harder to do with Palkia, especially with Protect varients.

- Zekrom

Mixed Zekrom, to be precise. Ferrothorn and Excadrill are able to beat every Zekrom varient out there, except Mixed. Mixed Zekrom has the potential to completely destroy every single one of my Pokémon, if the user predicts me correctly. Thank god this thing is rare, because it's a huge threat to this team.

Importable:

Code:
Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Palkia @ Haban Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 96 HP / 136 Atk / 200 SDef / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SDef / 112 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Surf
- Ice Beam
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read / rate my RMT. I hope my grammar wasn't too horrible and I probably should've taken a bit longer to write this, but Edgar needed inspiration. :] Feel free to ''Luvdisc'' if you liked this RMT / team and once again, thanks!

Hey there, Porygon2. This is a cool team, but I feel like there are a few flaws debilitating your team from being ideal as possible. Your threat list is misleading due to the fact that several of your weaknesses stem from having such a "passive" team. Ferrothorn can switch into half of your team with relative ease and set hazards, and your main response is to try and burn it with Giratina or weaken it with Excadrill. Maybe you switch your own Ferrothorn into opposing ones.. I'm still unsure of how you handle it. Mewtwo and Darkrai are both revenge killed by Kyogre, yes; however, Kyogre is not going to be able to switch in and they practically get a free kill everytime they get in. Ghosteus is also very problematic since Excadrill is 2HKO'd by Offensive varients on the switch and a +1 Ghosteus is a 6-0. You have to Leech Seed it and go to your own Waterceus.. or hope for a freeze or a crit. This isn't reliable, especially to one of the best Pokemon in the game. Your team lacks a way to break through opposing Specially Defensive Kyogre, and it's quite threatening to pretty much all of your Pokemon. CM or Toxic Arceus-Fighting can straight up plow through the entire team with Judgement / Ice Beam and you really can't touch it. Opposing Excadrill and Groudon cause major problems since you lack a Ground immunity or resist which I always find essential.. but to all their own. CM Arceus-Grass also 6-0's you since it can set up on Ferrothorn as well. Other random things like Toxic Arceus-Water with Flamethrower, Genesect's U-Turn + a sweeper, Thundurus, Thundurus-T, and mixed Zekrom are the biggest problems to your team. This is a lot of Pokemon simply due to the way your team was built: it lacks cohesion due to the fact that it's too passive for a balanced team. Giratina seems completely out of place as well. Fixing your team would require a lot of changes which I'm unsure you'd wish to do due to the fact that it would revert the aesthetic to a more offensive / stallish team, and you would probably not keep your Arceus forme.

Feel free to ignore this paragraph since this will be my attempt at making your team as solid as possible, probably destroying the dynamic you wish to uphold. First of all, I would definitely turn Giratina into Giratina-O. Giratina just seems too out of place, and it just makes you far too passive. Giratina-O makes you much less Mewtwo weak and it has a Ground immunity so Groudon isn't such a bitch anymore. You saw all the Calm Mind Arceus varients I listed earlier as threats, right? Well, changing your Kyogre into a more Specially Defensive set would allow you to check practically every Calm Mind Arceus bar Electric and Grass. Excadrill can check the former while I'll my next change will mitigate the latter's threat level. Since you did this change, you would have to add a Choice Scarfer, and although you would lose Spikes, Genesect instead of Ferrothorn retains two Steel types, lessens the threat level of Darkrai, Rayquaza + hazards, Mewtwo, and the Kyurems. Finally, using an Arceus-Fighting instead of an Arceus-Water checks several of the same things while being an effective Ho-Oh lure if it has Stone Edge and it makes you far less weak to Ferrothorn and much better against Darkrai and Extremekiller. The end result would end up being a much more offensive varient of your team, but I feel like it would end up working exponentially better. You just don't retain your original core at all, but your team was flawed in the way it was built so it required several Pokemon changes. For sets of the afforementioned changes, the standard Physical Attacker Genesect, Specially Defensive Kyogre, Stone Edge Fighteus with Toxic, and a Giratina-O set of your preference should suffice. For the Giratina-O, you could try out Magic Coat, Substitute, or even Will-O-Wisp with Defensive EV's You could try playing around with the Kyogre EV's and make it more mixed and then running a Calm Mind Fighteus with Ice Beam, or whatever. It'll just require testing.. Sorry I couldn't work with your current build and I was forced to change several things..

Anyways, good luck.

p.s. edgar sux

First of all, thank you for giving me an honest rate. No need to apologize for trying to help me make this team as solid as possible.

When you brought up the fact that my team was built ''too passive'' I immediately knew what you meant. I think it's because of the urge I have to make the teams I build weak to as few things as possible, instead of actually considering what it would do to the team itself. I'm too obsessed with having a counter or check to every threat out there and you (rightfully) called me out on that.

As far as your suggested changes go, I'll definitely try out Giratina-O again over Giratina. I normally do have a Ground-type resist or immunity on my teams, but I went for Giratina mainly because I was afraid Ho-Oh would destroy me otherwise. Changing Kyogre to a Specially Defensive set makes sense, but at the same time is disappointing, seeing as my goal when building this was to build it around Choice Scarf Kyogre. I do really enjoy using Genesect though, so I'll definitely give it a go. A Stone Edge Arceus-Fighting variant is a very interesting and clever suggestion. I'm not gonna lie, I would probably switch in my Ho-Oh without thinking about it twice.

Thank you again for your honest rate and I'll let you know how the changes turn out.

Palkia freely switches in on 4 members of your team, and can comfortably switch in 5 members of your team after a pokemon is Kod. Haban berry does not help with this.

Latias and Latios are similarly threatening, especially since Ferrothorn is easily pressured down by offense these days.

+1 internet point for the interesting team name, however

Hey P2, nice team you got here.

First up I agree with Princess Bri that you need to switch to Giratina-O. Yourself and Bri already covered the need for the change so I won't reiterate.

My only other suggestion is replacing Excadrill with Kabutops. It may not be taking hits anytime soon but it does a great job checking your threat list. When equiped with a Life Orb, Low Kick deals pretty savage damage to Zekrom, Ferrothorn and Palkia and in fact the majority of the overweight Ubers tier. It's also the fastest spinner around and can set SR reliably. In the fourth slot I'd give it Stone Edge for awesome coverage alongside LK and it also comes with the added bonus of bitch slapping Ho-Oh. Waterfall is your strongest STAB option in Rain but the coverage isn't great and Aqua Jets priority is nice but a bit weak outside of stormy weather (even in Rain in some cases), so I'd stick to SE.

Well that's all I got. Luvdisc*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)