Haxorus (Analysis)

after thinking of another possible set, (the idea being stuck in my head unfortunately most of the day (lol)) i came up with a simple substitute set. substitute allows for mainly this strategy in mind. to get 2 hits on a wall that with only one u might not be able to beat. to bypass/scout scarfers that try to switch in predicting boosting sets (timid sazandora comes to mind). or to break a steels balloon with little cost to you. here's the set.

@ leftovers
Ability: mold breaker
Nature: adamant
48 hp 240 atk 220 speed

-substitute
-dragon claw
-earthquake
-brick break

the 48 evs is 305 hp, a leftovers number +1 for sub abuse. dragon claw is for that dragon stab and scarf sazandora/garchomp coming in predicting dragon dance. 220 speed evs i felt is necessary to outspeed max speed +nature base 80s by 1 point. the rest are put in attack and i doubt if onono will really miss 3 points as it already will hit incredibly hard from 429 atk. brick break will hit balloon steels or rocks harder than dragon claw. it also 2hkos 252/4 nattorei, an extremely common stop to onono, after any prior damage if im not mistaken. whom onono couldnt otherwise beat because of gyro ball or fear of thunderwave. after the first brick break though if you see it wont ko the 2nd time your betting off getting out. i do know brick break and eq have a lot of similar coverage but with the advent of balloon it seems viable when you plan on being behind a sub and your only normal hard counter is steels. that's all i really have to say about this set i came up with. tell me what you might think! (feel free to add to the analyses if its felt good enough)

after thinking of another possible set, (the idea being stuck in my head unfortunately most of the day (lol)) i came up with a simple substitute set. substitute allows for mainly this strategy in mind. to get 2 hits on a wall that with only one u might not be able to beat. to bypass/scout scarfers that try to switch in predicting boosting sets (timid sazandora comes to mind). or to break a steels balloon with little cost to you. here's the set.

@ leftovers
Ability: mold breaker
Nature: adamant
48 hp 240 atk 220 speed

-substitute
-dragon claw
-earthquake
-brick break

the 48 evs is 305 hp, a leftovers number +1 for sub abuse. dragon claw is for that dragon stab and scarf sazandora/garchomp coming in predicting dragon dance. 220 speed evs i felt is necessary to outspeed max speed +nature base 80s by 1 point. the rest are put in attack and i doubt if onono will really miss 3 points as it already will hit incredibly hard from 429 atk. brick break will hit balloon steels or rocks harder than dragon claw. it also 2hkos 252/4 nattorei, an extremely common stop to onono, after any prior damage if im not mistaken. whom onono couldnt otherwise beat because of gyro ball or fear of thunderwave. after the first brick break though if you see it wont ko the 2nd time your betting off getting out. i do know brick break and eq have a lot of similar coverage but with the advent of balloon it seems viable when you plan on being behind a sub and your only normal hard counter is steels. that's all i really have to say about this set i came up with. tell me what you might think! (feel free to add to the analyses if its felt good enough)
I like Sub sweepers alot myself for the fact that it eases prediction, but with such a "grounded" offensive movepool, you're going to be forced out a lot on guys you can't do much to in two turns or less. Many physical guys can easily take this and use it to set up or support. Substitute itself should be mentioned in OC for specialized sets, but with the example given, there's no real reason to use it above any of the other sets currently up there. If he had Fire Blast and more Special Attack, he could have gone the old "ChainChomp" route, but...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, most non direct moves cant get rid of a substitute. If you dragon tail a pokemon protected with sub will it be forced out?

name: Choice Band

Set Description:
  • Dragon Claw is the crux of this set. It allows Ononokusu to use a reliable STAB move with no drawbacks, unlike Outrage, which will lock it in. Double Chop can also be used: you lose a bit of accuracy, but gain the ability to break subs. Earthquake is here for obvious reasons, while the fourth move is your choice of filler that won't be used too often.
Minor nitpick, Dragon Claw and Double Chop have the same power, but Claw has 100 accuracy vs 90 for Double Chop

In the counters section. Skarm, physical def Nattorie and Forry need mentions as Ononokusu struggles greatly with them and are the best counters this thing has.

Skarmory wins with Brave Bird (2hko with SR or LO recoil) against anything not called Swords Dance. Drill Peck also 3hko's with SR and LO recoil. Nattorie can take ANYTHING any set throws out apart from CB Brick Breaks and mauls Ononokusu with Gyro Ball. Physically defensive Forretress works in a similar manner too, except isn't weak to Brick Break or anything at all.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
from the choice set:
Watch out for Bronzong. It can switch in on Outrage and proceed to KO with Gyro Ball.
Bronzong is 2hkod by Choice Band Outrage, so I don't think it should be listed as a counter. I just thought this was funny because Bronzong can take every move Onono has except for the exact one you listed.

from the choice set:

Bronzong is 2hkod by Choice Band Outrage, so I don't think it should be listed as a counter. I just thought this was funny because Bronzong can take every move Onono has except for the exact one you listed.
Also loses to Earthquake because of Mold Breaker.

Hi guys! i am brand new to smogon! before i just used to creep on this site to steal pokemon ideas and such but now i can maybe make a contribuation! but probably not! tell me if i do stuff wrong cause i dont wanna irk people off. anyways haxorus has a massive attack and is an all around great dragon. but his speed seems so trollish to me because the other brand new dragon in fifth gen (sazondora not the one with base 55 speed) has a base speed of i beleive 98 when haxorus is 97? its going to be interesting to see who becomes the salamence and who becomes the flygon so to speak of this new gen

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
?!?

Why were the Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets merged? They play completely differently! The Choice Band plays a cool game of hit and run (More effective against slower stall teams/bulky offense) while Scarf sets revenges / cleans up lategame. The Scarf also has that surprise factor, because everyone assumes Ononokusu is running a Choice Band. It should get a separate set in my opinion.

If you do plan on de-merging the sets, I recommend running Adamant over Jolly to further differentiate Choice Scarf Haxorus from Choice Scarf Garchomp. That drop in speed isn't noteworthy since there is nothing common that Haxorus outspeeds in that speed range.

?!?

Why were the Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets merged? They play completely differently! The Choice Band plays a cool game of hit and run (More effective against slower stall teams/bulky offense) while Scarf sets revenges / cleans up lategame. The Scarf also has that surprise factor, because everyone assumes Ononokusu is running a Choice Band. It should get a separate set in my opinion.

If you do plan on de-merging the sets, I recommend running Adamant over Jolly to further differentiate Choice Scarf Haxorus from Choice Scarf Garchomp. That drop in speed isn't noteworthy since there is nothing common that Haxorus outspeeds in that speed range.
I myself preferred them split since there's so much to write about in one merged set, but so many people wanted it merged, as you can see in the thread. I'll wait on SDS to get me a final opinion.

I think lum berry berry should be slashed on the swords dance set. I'm using Haxorus as a wall breaker and I find it helpful as many things come in thinking they can status and cripple you while you get a free swords dance up. Another note is that double chop should be slashed on the swords dance set just to take out things that like to hide behind subs (Breloom >.<). You are wall breaking, after all.

Oh and about the evs, you really only need to reach 318 speed so you can outspeed base 95s (unless speed ting raticate, luvdisc, and silgyph is that important). So there's like, what 16 speed evs going to waste? Maybe throw that into hp or a defense?

People who play ingame rather than on a simulator. Even if the majority of Smogon players play on PO, there is still a strong wi-fi community, not to mention the many more people who visit Smogon and play on their retail carts exclusively. Sets should not be written with only a simulator in mind. They should work for actual cartridge play as well.

Also, I set some of my mons to female on simulator teams.
Don't forget female only pokemon as well and *Cough Chansey/Blissey* (Also In the real world if you get a good pokemon gender is irelivent outside breeding) And alot of people me included, only care about gender for breeding purposes.

Not sure if this has been said, but it is worth mentioning that Double Chop has the same amount of power as Dragon Claw when the hits are combined.

Dragon Claw has 80 BP, STAB makes 120

Double Chop has 40 for each, making 80. STAB then makes 120. Aside from breaking Substitute, this attack still works on Pokemon that haven't subbed. It's SLIGHTLY less reliable in accuracy, but it is still worth being first option, in my opinion, due to the move itself having its own niche besides just hitting hard.

I might be wrong, and only one Chop gets STAB, but I still believe that this is the case.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remove that bit about sacrificing power for Dual Chop. Both it and Dragon Claw amount to 80 BP overall. Maybe you meant accuracy?

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Pretty good! I'd put Band in front of Scarf, since Flygon / Garchomp truly outclass it there. Then I'd remove Dragon Tail; Taunt is cool since you can do some ridiculous shit like get to +4 on a Skarm switch-in.

Other than that, it looks good. Approved.

Sets look as dangerous as they were thought to be. Overall, good stuff RGB.

All these sets work great in double dragon, with him being lead or not. I think im going to continue to run my "weird" "Bulky" Ono that I've used for so long, but still, good stuff.
Could u post ur bulky Haxorus set pluz

bc I am no longer updated on pokemon competitiveness...
what's the general consensus on double dance hazorus? *DD,SD,EQ,Outrage-
from the current analysis,
when you need a wallbreaker, SD; and when you need sweeper, DD.
this follows the same 'reasoning' as a double dance Terrakion.

While the double dance is probably worth a mention, I'd argue that Terakion pulls this set off a lot better, as Terakion has 108 Speed, which lets him naturally outspeed base 100's, and Rock Polish doubles his speed instead of +1. Because Haxorus's speed is at that wierd 97 number he still gets revenged easily by the likes of common scarfers, such as Scarfrachi or Scarfchomp. Speaking of speed, I was wondering if there were any signifigant speed tiers you can outspeed with Jolly compared to Adamant, as you lose a good bit of power(I think like 40 attack) when you go Jolly. Maybe Modest Volcarona/Hydreigon? Or Neutral Musketeers?

After my post i remembered Brozong, but never knew that MB bypasses multi scale and sturdy too o_O
Mold Breaker negates nearly every ability that hinders attacks.

If Haxorus ever got Fire Punch, it could hit Heatran with it despite Heatran's Flash Fire.

Also, wouldn't Max Speed Jolly Haxorus have a slight speed advantage over say, Hydreigon if it hadn't invested as heavily in Speed? It's a shame they couldn't spare another point or three for that base speed with all the fast dragons we've gotten back this gen...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)