Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hello smogon and welcome to a thread that has been 2 and a half months in the making. I'd like to start this thread off with a quote from the final update i made in my weight-loss/muscle gain thread almost a month and a half ago.
"Unknown" incoming thread: First of all i want you to kick out of your minds any thoughts that i am planning to make a new thread for the next phase of my journey. I can assure you that this thread is something else completely. first off its not even about me. i don't want to reveal much, but i will say this; User Lee and I (along with a few others) have been working on this thread for over a month and a half now. I truly believe this thread can turn into something amazing that will help a lot of people out, including myself. although i wont be making a new personal thread to follow this one, i think my next fitness goal will receive just as much of an impact (if not more) from this new thread as it would from a new personal thread. so yes, please look forward to this thread being put up soon :).
so there you have it, this is that thread i promised. Originally this thread was born in June between Lee and i, but over the last 2+ months I've spoken to a lot of people and coordinated with smogon mods and members of the "aesthetics crew"/physical fitness crew. now you might be thinking to yourself "this is all nice Jesus, but what is this thread really about? also dont we already have a physical fitness thread?"

i'll start off with a quote from user Lee during one of our facebook back and forths.
I think the Sports Arena thread falls tragically short of its potential and it's too deeply set in its ways to fix that
over the past 2 months i've been putting together this thread in a way where it should hopefully end up being everything that the physical fitness thread should have been. but as with most things, the success of this thread is going to come down directly to the community.

The Physical Health/Fitness Thread
This thread is all about finding and achieving fitness goals with an emphasis on community. It is a thread for everyone of ALL fitness levels. The thread has 2 main focuses
1: Community
I do not know about you guys, but one of the most motivational and generally helpful things i've found when it comes to achieving fitness goals is numbers, more specifically, numbers in people. This thread is going to include everything from personal stories from the community, to daily work out logs (a personal exercise journal pretty much). It'll basically be a thread that is essentially a collection of stories similar to the one found in my previous thread, stories that will come together in time. Again i dont know about you guys, but i find it very motivational to know that people from all around the world and from a community that i'm involved in are doing the same thing i am. knowing that they are in the gym doing the same thing, its even better than a system of in real life workout buddies, and i say that from experience (no offense to my irl friends). this is what this thread is at its very core, the community supporting each other and motivating each other. one awesome giant interactive community support group, its a powerful machine that can produce powerful results. Dont get me wrong, we will see many many failures, even i know i will fail every now and then, but that's whats so great about a community that supports each other, the community will be here to help pick you back up and encourage you to continue. and as long as you do just that, continue, whether its immediately or after a period of time, as long as you continue on your fitness journey, then you haven't really failed yet.

2: Building good habits, building success
The second focus: the thread will mainly focus on helping people develop the habit of going to the gym and working out (or just being active in general). It seems that the current physical fitness thread is mainly people coming in and asking advice on their workout plans, or just coming and posting in hopes of getting/developing a workout plan, but not many people seem to stick to their plans and see them through once they receive said workout plan. I think we can all agree that the man with a great workout plan will always lose to the man with a terrible plan, but who has developed a great habit of going to the gym and actually working out (no matter how terrible his plan may be). My highschool PE teacher once told us a tale of a friend he had that had outstanding knowledge on nutrition and how the body responds to exercise, for it was his job to know his stuff when it came to physical fitness and the body, but this friend had terrible workout habits and was very fat. Till this day I dont know if my PE teacher was telling the truth or just trying to drill into our heads that it's not only enough to know your workout, but you must actually get off your butt and go execute it, but I don't care because the message was clear. I am a firm believer that its better to focus on developing the habit of working out in general instead of jumping straight to "whats a great workout plan guys? give me the best routine for the body i want". in fact most so called great work out plans are ones you have to build up to anyways, or they'll prove to be too difficult (whether immediately or in time) and kill your drive to keep working out.

Features of the thread
Below are a few "features" of this thread, things i not only hope to see and cannot wait to read about from each individual person, but hope they'll help keep this thread exciting, alive, and fun to participate in. after all this is ultimately about you. the success you see will be no one else but your own, and it is you that will get to enjoy your body, we'll just be here cheering you on. some of these things i'll reserve posts after the OP to keep track of/make a list of, as well as update over time as people change things

Biographies: I would LOVE to read some bios from people. In this community people look at me like i'm the go to guy when it comes to fitness, but this community has some amazing people in the field of fitness. some that have been in the fitness scene for years, and i mean YEARS. we have some amazing bodies in this community, and i would love to read about the stories behind those bodies. Stories themselves can be very powerful motivational tools, especially from the point of someone starting out and reading about someone else that has already made it. I was there once and reading about others like me that took on the same difficult task and conquered it helped me, it still does today. this is also a great way to get a fitness thread going

Motivation: Speaking of stories being a source of motivation, it would be nice to see people post about what motivates them, what keeps them going. whiles the rest of us just put our heads down, give up, lay on that couch and play video games instead, whats keeps you going? what makes YOU put down that controller and go to the gym. some people have unique motivations

Work out journal/daily logs: is this a workout diary? those who have me on Facebook have seen my daily work out update logs, this is the same thing in essence. i know i for one will be posting exercise logs, keeping track and have some sort of work out journal. How personal your experience in this thread ends up being is going to depend on you, and this section is going to be a huge factor in that. you can keep a personal journal; you can have your own personal story in here.

Progress: this is the shortest section, but the sweetest. one of the best things about this thread will be coming in here and seeing those progress updates/posts.

Supplements talk: I really mean it when i say that this will be a thread where we can talk about ANYTHING fitness related, and i mean anything. one such thing that inst discussed much is supplements. this is a topic that is mostly discussed among the experienced because most people starting out wont be thinking about or worrying too much about supplements. also supplements can be an expensive habit, even i waited until i was sure that i was serious about fitness and would stick to it before buying my first whey protein so i wouldn't be wasting money.

Diet: And finally we come to the giant that is diet. i dont even need to go into detail about this section because everyone knows what its about, and its a different situation for everyone. This section will probably be the most talked about and will dominate. feel free to post about anything, even what your weaknesses/cravings are. what is that one something that you are just powerless against and cannot help but stick it in your face. maybe someone here will offer a pretty neat and more healthier substitute, and finally help you conquer that food weakness.......maybe

Final thoughts
This was originally a thread that was intended to be introduced in the summer. we chose the summer because it is a great time to start working on your fitness goals. in the summer people tend to have more time, etc. But the truth is that there is really no "best time" to start. you have to choose to start, and whenever that is will have to do as far as best time goes. also long term goals are better anyways (as someone once told me :) ). school has started for many of us and it certainly wont be easy to get your work out in at times, but we all know school doesn't automatically mean failure for your fitness goals. I've seen some of my best results during the school year. i first saw my abs during the school year, so its doable. in short, it will all come down to you making that commitment. If you want it bad enough you'll achieve it, and you know we will all be here cheering you on both in failure and in success. well i guess it would be more like "encouraging" you during the failure sections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninahaza

Forever Young: A 1k post​
You know in the past i looked forward to this day with excitement that i could barely contain. Back then it seemed like i had so many ideas, so many grand plans for my 1k thread. The one thing i did not anticipate on (or plan better) was the time needed to pull off one of the many big ideas i came up with whiles daydreaming. In the end i decided to do something nice, simply and personal to me instead.

A reflection: What is a xk thread to you?
I thought about that question for a bit, and i came up with the following as my answer:
I've always looked at xk milestones/threads as a time for one to not only celebrate, but to reflect back on those 1000 posts. after all, there is a story and a journey behind a thousand posts whether you like to acknowledge it or not. in fact the only people who disagree with this are people that manage to make 1000 posts in the span of a few months, but this is not a thread to pick on anyone. For my 1k i decided to do 2 things. The first was to make the healthy lifestyle thread, something that is personal to me as well, haha. The second thing i decided to do was to reflect on the journey/story behind my first 1000 posts, try to capture it in some way or format, then share it with the community :). In the end a video was born from this idea and goal of mine. Just a simply video, nothing too fancy, but i really liked how it ended up coming together.

Forever young: A journey through time

Unfortunately I wont be doing shout outs for my 1k. i know some of you will be let down by this, and i apologize. as i stated in the opening sentences, time hasn't been on my side. I've been busy :(. rest assured that i'll make up for this in a future thread though. there have been a lot of people that have made my time here and the story behind my 1000 posts special. i have had a lot of fun, and isnt that what it really is about? if you can reflect on your time here and not say those words, then cleary you arent doing it right. I am not saying peoples experiences should be "magical", nor am i saying that its your fault. what i am saying is that if you cant reflect on your time here (or any other online community) without a smile coming to your face, then somewhere, something is/went wrong. Anyways, thank you everyone. thank you both the smogon community and the VGC community. Thank you for the laughs. thank you for the late nights. thank you for the shenanigans, for the memories and for all the great times. Its been one hell of a ride, and i look forward to the next 1000 posts and the new memories and tales i'll have to tell for my 2k thread.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
you forgot chaos on your list, sorry

happy 1k JJ, lolling at the reserved posts HOW SNEAKY

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Thanks for getting this up Jesus! I'm looking forward to sharing my goals and experiences and I hope others feel compelled to do the same. A thread full of stories such as the ones found in your own weight loss/muscle gain thread sounds like my kinda place so bookmarked!

And congrats on 1k, but seriously 2+ years to get it? tut tut:evan:

still don't understand why we had to shutdown the other thread. How about we keep the other thread for people who actually lift and bodybuild in it's rightful place in sports arena and you guys can have the ''healthy'' thread. What does this 1k thread have to do with anything. Instead of a thread with solid advice we get this thread full of congratulations posts and boring walls of text.

tl;dr: wanted to keep the powerlifting/bodybuilding thread

Lee

@ Thick Club
Just use this one for discussing powerlifting/bodybuilding - there was just too much overlap between this thread and the old fitness thread that we couldn't keep both. Besides, the fitness thread has been stagnant for as long as I can remember...it was just a repeating loop of the same old questions and substanceless posts - it's no big loss. Give us a chance with this thread Nos, we've got some cool plans!

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
nice troll lee

edit: I'm not hating on you Nina, you know ily bro and grats on your accomplishments, I just don't get why Lee doesn't think weightlifting is a sport and why he hates the other thread so much (if it's activity youre worried about Lee then post a link to the thread in your sig or something).

Anyway, my goal is to be weigh 25 pounds less than I do right now....someday, Idc when because setting up a date is dooming yourself to fail imo. I'm not overly big or anything but it'd be nice to get rid of the ol' beer gut and make way so some muscles or something...I dunno. Seems like a good idea lol.

my progress:

december 23rd 2011: 59 kgs
august 23rd 2012: 77 kgs

bodyfat is between 12-15%
dont have any photos

happy with my progress, looking to bulk to 84kgs then cut to 9% bodyfat at 80kgs by july 2013
another goal of mine is for 15-16 inch arms, currently like 13.5 inches at 6 ft 170lbs, not so good :(

Lee

@ Thick Club
was trying to avoid posting until I can get up my own goals/stats etc but couldn't resist posting to say that that's an incredible weight gain in such a short time Razza and it's even more impressive that you managed to keep your body fat percentage fairly low as well. How did you manage to gain 18kg of presumably predominately lean mass in 9 months? That's like 1.1 pounds a week for three quarters of a year, kudos man, seriously.

ala said:
it's activity youre worried about Lee then post a link to the thread in your sig or something).
my sig is phenomenal, not changing it for the world

Ninahaza

@ Hip, Natgeo, stathakis, zach
Thanks guys :)

you forgot chaos on your list, sorry

happy 1k JJ, lolling at the reserved posts HOW SNEAKY
what? come on DM, there is a legitimate purpose for those 2 reserved posts. they will be filled with things/info in time

Thanks for getting this up Jesus! I'm looking forward to sharing my goals and experiences and I hope others feel compelled to do the same. A thread full of stories such as the ones found in your own weight loss/muscle gain thread sounds like my kinda place so bookmarked!

And congrats on 1k, but seriously 2+ years to get it? tut tut:evan:
I know, i need to post more :(. Maybe if i'm lucky this thread will cut some time off from my next 1000 posts, and, with all the activity i'll have in here, help me not take another 2.5+ years to reach 2k

Ok uh I guess I'll just post saying that ever since starting college, I've been actively trying to lose some weight and muscle up. I'm not really fat (near the heaviest of the healthy end of the bmi w/e) but you all know how wanting to look and feel better about yourself feels. We have a pretty fantastic gym on campus, which I'm mainly currently trying to figure out how to use lol since I never gymmed much. Diet wise, I've been generally going off like multigrain cheerios / fiber one / nutrigrain bars for breakfast, salad and a soup with some sort of meat in it for lunch, and a salad and grilled chicken sandwich or cheesesteak or something for dinner. Been drinking a lot of milk and protein shakes / smoothies and such. I've been going to the pool every day for a bit and swimming laps--I don't have much stamina so I have to stop a lot after lengths but I don't leave the pool until doing at least 40 lengths (25 yards each), with one day a week I do 100. Still not really sure how to gym yet though since the machines are scary lol so I'm going to do free weights stuff / push ups / sit ups more upper body wise and just use the leg machines since I know how to do those. I'm not really starting with good muscles or anything at all, but I want to tone down the fat and muscle up a little. Not interested in bulking or getting really big. Just wanting to look better, feel better, and get stronger. I've lost two lbs thus far I think and I really just don't feel good / content if I don't swim on any given day (except today since my foot hurts a fuck ton and the gym is 25 minutes of walking I don't want to subject it to), so I don't see myself stopping or quitting any time soon. I'm also trying really hard to eat right on my shitty meal plan, and I think I'm doing okay--I eat like sandwiches or more nutrigrain bars or protein shakes or something for snacks when I want them. I really can't afford to eat much better though lol. I'm hoping for progress, but I know I won't see too much right away so I'm okay with it going slowly. I have the whole year!

Congrats on the 1k, this looks like it will turn out to be a cool thread.

I like that specific goal making is mentioned but I think you guys should add the importance of working towards them every single day, a tiny bit of progress is so so much better than none- if you can't deadlift / benchpress whatever everyday I'd say spending 15-20 mins learning about things like form / nutrition on the other days will add up help your progress in the long run.

I'm naturally very skinny, was 6"2 160 lbs when I wasn't active "eat a box of pizza and play PS3 all day" and I looked really thin even at that point, but now with the same eating habits (I ate an XXL burrito and a personal pan pizza at Taco Bell yesterday) and serious cardio work I've dropped to 148 which baffles me because I look the same in the mirror. I had kept a strength gaining routine for a year solid getting in 6 doses of 25 ish grams of protein a day but probably only gained about 5 lbs of actual muscle in that time, so with the first year jump I would factor in I didn't think it was worth the time overall.

I am however very into long distance running, do it 30-60 mins every day occasionally doing a Run-Swim-Run. My goals atm are to achieve the following-

-Turkey trot 10k time 40 mins or under Thanksgiving day
-Maintain a jog through an entire half marathon's distance before Christmas
-Complete a marathon before the end of 2013

I generally treadmill run when I'm not on the beach mixing it with swims because I don't have good running shoes and it's not as punishing on the treadmill, plus I like doing math in my head while I'm running. I went from maintaining 7.2 mph for 40 mins last week to 7.8 today, it feels great inching that little bit closer every day.

Edit- Great reason for everyone to do some cardio every day. Obviously this isn't completely established science and people are different but if you open a little time every day it's great motivation to see how you are helping your heart.

Ninahaza

Congrats on the 1k, this looks like it will turn out to be a cool thread.

I like that specific goal making is mentioned but I think you guys should add the importance of working towards them every single day, a tiny bit of progress is so so much better than none- if you can't deadlift / benchpress whatever everyday I'd say spending 15-20 mins learning about things like form / nutrition on the other days will add up help your progress in the long run.

I'm naturally very skinny, was 6"2 160 lbs when I wasn't active "eat a box of pizza and play PS3 all day" and I looked really thin even at that point, but now with the same eating habits (I ate an XXL burrito and a personal pan pizza at Taco Bell yesterday) and serious cardio work I've dropped to 148 which baffles me because I look the same in the mirror. I had kept a strength gaining routine for a year solid getting in 6 doses of 25 ish grams of protein a day but probably only gained about 5 lbs of actual muscle in that time, so with the first year jump I would factor in I didn't think it was worth the time overall.

I am however very into long distance running, do it 30-60 mins every day occasionally doing a Run-Swim-Run. My goals atm are to achieve the following-

-Turkey trot 10k time 40 mins or under Thanksgiving day
-Maintain a jog through an entire half marathon's distance before Christmas
-Complete a marathon before the end of 2013

I generally treadmill run when I'm not on the beach mixing it with swims because I don't have good running shoes and it's not as punishing on the treadmill, plus I like doing math in my head while I'm running. I went from maintaining 7.2 mph for 40 mins last week to 7.8 today, it feels great inching that little bit closer every day.

Edit- Great reason for everyone to do some cardio every day. Obviously this isn't completely established science and people are different but if you open a little time every day it's great motivation to see how you are helping your heart.
Heh, it's funny you say that because there is nothing more I hate than doing math on my runs/cardio workouts. This hate is primarily because when I was starting out I did nothing but run and I would always be doing the math to figure out how long I had until I was done, how long until the pain would be over. doing the math always made things worse for me, so I just outright banned all math on my workouts. But whatever works for each individual person haha. I just found it very interesting when I read that in your post. What I LOVE to do during my cardio workouts is daydream and develope fantasies. Each Daydream/fantasy is directly affected by what song is playing on my iPhone and the daydream/fantasy usually starts at the beginning of each song as well. It's a weird and amazing system I have come to perfect over time, almost to the point where the only thing better is when I am asleep and actually dreaming. Some weird and amazing things have played out in my head during my workouts, it's pretty damn awesome.

Also today I returned to the gym after taking a break that was longer than it should have been, and I bet if I had not put up this thread yesterday, that break would have continued until, Oh God with school it would have become a very long break. It's hard to get back into exercising once you stop for awhile, even a week (at least for me). Already this thread is doing work for me :). Anyways, I am not looking forward to how sore I'll be tomorrow. Sore days ahead of me. Also I need to set up a short term goal soon, perhaps where I want to be by the end of this year.

after a solid 30 pound dirty bulk, i now have a physical dependency on mountain dew

i've had two 24 packs this week

my 5 meals a week thing is helping me not go over 220 though, so that's good.

but yeah 48 12 oz mountain dews is not a good thing, i think i'm going to enlist my roommate in helping me not drink that many

note to self: smaller bulks in future, especially if dirty. actually maybe don't do dirty bulks in the future until food willpower is better

edit: cold turkey time, lee inspired

edit2: sorry lee, didn't work out

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Alright time to get my journal entries started. Bulked up from about 78 kilos to 87 over the past few months. There are some photos on the "wall of mirin'" on the #lifting IRC chan, and my arm looks like this (in a flexing position, but untensed)

My current goal is to go on a bit of a cut over the next ten weeks seeing as my abs aren't anything special and I kinda want to get shredded for summer. Cutting down on drinking, HIIT two-three times a week, slow burn cardio once and eating a bit cleaner. It's a bit of trial and error for me cause I'm a bit terrified of losing a lot of muscle in the process, so my aim is to reach an happy medium where I maintain as much muscle mass as possible and lose a bit of fat. I've just started taking Xtend BCAA's a bit less then a week ago and already I can see a difference...sadly due to my poorness I buy those Musashi protein shakes after a workout rather then a good whey protein isolate, but that's next on my "to buy" list! Will keep everyone updated how I go with my goals. At the end of the next ten weeks and for the summer, not only do I want to be shredded (or on the path) but I also want to be stronger and a lot faster (these two goals are more of a long term one rather then a 10 week goal). I'm considering playing as a linebacker for a local gridiron team (don't have to be as big as in the states obviously) instead of basketball this year so a decent fitness base wouldn't be bad either.

was trying to avoid posting until I can get up my own goals/stats etc but couldn't resist posting to say that that's an incredible weight gain in such a short time Razza and it's even more impressive that you managed to keep your body fat percentage fairly low as well. How did you manage to gain 18kg of presumably predominately lean mass in 9 months?
did gomad but with 2l of milk (4 is just ridiculous)and noob gains did the rest, currently holding some water weight from bulking and creatine too, growth is slowing down now though which really frustrates me, seriously considering aas in the future lol.

Lee

@ Thick Club
@Stallion: you're poor 'cos you're saving for Smocon, right?

Styval said:
edit: cold turkey time, lee inspired

edit2: sorry lee, didn't work out
oh ffs :evan:

Ninahaza

lol stylish interval. man, what lee said v_v

Alright time to get my journal entries started. Bulked up from about 78 kilos to 87 over the past few months. There are some photos on the "wall of mirin'" on the #lifting IRC chan, and my arm looks like this (in a flexing position, but untensed)

My current goal is to go on a bit of a cut over the next ten weeks seeing as my abs aren't anything special and I kinda want to get shredded for summer. Cutting down on drinking, HIIT two-three times a week, slow burn cardio once and eating a bit cleaner. It's a bit of trial and error for me cause I'm a bit terrified of losing a lot of muscle in the process, so my aim is to reach an happy medium where I maintain as much muscle mass as possible and lose a bit of fat. I've just started taking Xtend BCAA's a bit less then a week ago and already I can see a difference...sadly due to my poorness I buy those Musashi protein shakes after a workout rather then a good whey protein isolate, but that's next on my "to buy" list! Will keep everyone updated how I go with my goals. At the end of the next ten weeks and for the summer, not only do I want to be shredded (or on the path) but I also want to be stronger and a lot faster (these two goals are more of a long term one rather then a 10 week goal). I'm considering playing as a linebacker for a local gridiron team (don't have to be as big as in the states obviously) instead of basketball this year so a decent fitness base wouldn't be bad either.
You know maybe its because for me it seems like i'm always cutting, but over time i have come to accept that size will never be something i can realistically expect or even hope for, at least not until i go on an actual serious bulk. i will come out looking like a skinny f#ck, but defined as hell ;). Anyways, funny you should say that you are going on a 10 week cut because my current cut has about a month more left to it. race yah :D. i think my cuts are a bit more........whats the word, deeper than those of other people? although i still work with weights, my diet is more restrictive and i do a ton of cardio when cutting.

i am still hammering out the exact details of my next short term goal (between now and January of next year), but the basic outline is that i am going to see the current cut i'm on through, then go on my first "real" serious bulk for 3 months. i say its going to be a clean bulk, but only time will tell. my dedication and control when it comes to foods/dieting is great as its been built up over time of doing it, but even then i'm not really sure if i'll be able to maintain a clean bulk. i can see things easily getting out of hand and me just consuming like a mad man making up for months of being restricted when it came to foods lol. I'm not too worried about it though, it could go the other way and end up being a very smooth and somewhat easy phase for me because cutting requires more control than bulking and I've already conquered that front.

What is the general consensus on creatine? I took it for a month about 3 years back and remember feeling much stronger and thinking 'this is great' but when it ran out I couldn't afford to immediately replace it and felt my strength dwindle. Therein lies my only gripe with it - it IS a performance enhancer, albeit a legal and totally harmless one. I wish my pride would allow me to take it but when I gain strength and hit my goals I want to know I did it off my own steam. Theoretically I might be able to bench xlbs while on creatine but only x-15lbs should I stop taking it and I don't like the idea of becoming 'dependent' on a supplement in that way. I dunno though, maybe I'm just being stupid and overly-stubborn...I'm happy to bow to the science on the matter if I'm mistaken (and I mean real science, not muscle mag bullshit that is often financed by the companies that sell these supplements).

So I guess, share your experiences with creatine? Are the benefits enough for me to stop being so petty?

@Stallion: you're poor 'cos you're saving for Smocon, right?

oh ffs :evan:
I tried creatine and i did not really notice much difference in anything. then again, i took it whiles cutting, so i wasn't focusing on gains. in fact i think my thought process was that i was wasting it because i was cutting. can someone touch in on that thought process for the future?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)