Heart Gold | Soul Silver In-Game Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to say that Mr Mime definitely needs to move down. Even with the ability to learn Thunderbolt, hardly anyone is going to get the TBolt TM at that time(since it's one of the Game Corner TMs), and Mr Mime isn't that easy to find either. He's at most equal to Natu.

Stantler's main attraction is that he has fully evolved stats at the time, but his main problem is that he is weak to the Fighting Gym, can't hurt the Steel Gym, has no super effective STAB, and in fact will be running Stomp/Confuse Ray until level 38 when it gets Zen Headbutt.

You could teach him Shadow Ball, but that also has little SE coverage, and you'll have trouble with fighters.

Stantler has Intimidate and Hypnosis, true, but he will have a hard time killing things unless you level him up a bit.

I'd like to restate my suggestion for Magby (assuming this is for Pokewalker Pokemon, too)

Nice little ability (Flame Body), you can get it super early on, access to early fire STAB and a dark move. Note: Magby boded extremely well in Azalea/Ecruteak/Olivine gyms, to name a few. It's got 75/70/83 offensive stats and evolves into a decent fire type as well. All in all I'd say it's the best fire alternative when not choosing Cyndaquil.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think Steelix should be put on the list alongside Onix. While rare, it CAN be found as a Steelix in Cliff Cave on Route 47. Although Onix has higher Speed, Steelix has higher everything else, and learns the elemental fangs and Crunch instead of Sand Tomb. However, it is INCREDIBLY rare, with a 2% chance of finding it in Cliff Cave.

I think Steelix should be put on the list alongside Onix. While rare, it CAN be found as a Steelix in Cliff Cave on Route 47. Although Onix has higher Speed, Steelix has higher everything else, and learns the elemental fangs and Crunch instead of Sand Tomb. However, it is INCREDIBLY rare, with a 2% chance of finding it in Cliff Cave.
So your saying it's a good idea to waste days walking around in those cliffs? In the time it takes to find one, (unless you are lucky enough to get one just walking through) you could grind everyone else like 5 levels. Or just plain finish the game.

Staryu should be listed in high or at least mid, because you can just spend 20 minutes doing the pokeathlon to get a water stone. Assuming were taking into account changing the day via the DS's clock and the pokeathlon.

okay, a couple of things here. one, kangaskhan should definetly be uber, for all the reasons stated, you can get it really early in the game, and it has an excellent mix of power,, bulk and speed. most of his best moves are level up too,, so no need to waste tms.

second, about dratini. if you get it in goldenrod, it will be an excellent member of your team. keep in mind that you can teach it powerful moves like draco meteor, fire blast and surf, all of these being multi use moves. when it evolves, a simple moveset of fly,, dragon claw, surf and FB lets it decimate kanto. hypothetically, you can get it as soon as you reach goldenrod, since you don't have to use mooney to get it. just follow the voltorb flip guide on gamefaqs. also, dragon rage lets it 2HKO basically everything in the mid stages of the game

So you are saying its a good idea to spend countless amounts of time looking for a pokemon with poor typing and crappy stats who also gets a shitty movepool? Not to mention Geodude you can get much easier and earlier who is a far better choice as far as Rock/Ground types are concerned. Even Sudowoodo is a better choice. Sorry, but Onix fucking sucks. Even Steelix isn't that much better.

So you are saying its a good idea to spend countless amounts of time looking for a pokemon with poor typing and crappy stats who also gets a shitty movepool? Not to mention Geodude you can get much easier and earlier who is a far better choice as far as Rock/Ground types are concerned. Even Sudowoodo is a better choice. Sorry, but Onix fucking sucks. Even Steelix isn't that much better.
Except it's the best physical wall in the game, and Red's Pikachu suddenly becomes a lot less powerful when it must face a Steel/Ground type with base 200 base defense. I've used Steelix in-game from the Violet City trade, and I must say, it's better than you all are saying. Even if it needs TM EQ to function.

And Screech is hardly useless.

I suggest you split slowpoke in two into slowpoke and slowking. Using the pokeathlon games, you can get a kings rock after only a few days. You can then evolve it into slowking quickly using the gts glitch or a friend, allowing you to rampage through the early gyms.

I think Staryu deserves higher than mid; maybe high.

Sure, you get it kinda late (around 6th badge), but it doesn't even need TM's to be effective. Surf just wrecks most things in the game, and if you wanna be stingy and not teach it Tbolt/Ice Beam than Swift makes a decent enough replacement. On top of that it can also heal itself eliminating the need for potions. Idk, I just find it odd that shit like Rattata and Sentret are above it.

breh

強いだね
I feel that it's not so high up because it:

Requires a water stone to evolve
"Hits like a girl" as somebody mentioned in the smogcast a while back xD
Is overall inferior to slowbro (is obatined FAR earlier, has a better movepool (learning Fire Blast is nice, as is Yawn)) and levels up faster
Takes until level 51 for it to really "complete" its movepool (Surf, Recover, Confuse Ray, and Cosmic Power)... I.E. way after the elite four

Overall it's just not that good without playing the unholy voltorb flip :(

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Starmie's just not worth the time investment (Voltorb flip, Water stone) for it to be high.

And it "takes hits like a girl", it hits quite hard actually.

Water Stones take like, 5 minutes to get at the Pokeathalon thingy whatever; if rarity of stones is a factor than why are Growlithe and Vulpix a tier higher?

Staryu's level up movepool might not be as great as Slowbro's but it's much faster. I'm sure many people appreciate that. Also, you can buy the Thunder and Blizzard TM's which are good enough substitute's to Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. I just think it deserves the be a little higher because even with just Surf / Swift it can sweep through a lot of the game on its own.

I do agree stones are very easy to get in this game along with evolution items. Normal water is pretty good coverage.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yanma should be dopped down. Speed Boost Yanma is pathetic. It gets Ancientpower, U-turn, Hidden Power, some STAB I forget and has a ton of weaknesses. It will lose to each of the Dragonites in Lance's party which sucks when you are relying on it to damage them with Ancientpower. It is simply too underpowered.

Yanma is terrible, but Yanmega is amazing, especially if you get a Tinted Lens one. But maybe that's because I bred mine to have Signal Beam (even then it still sucked until evolution).

Yanmega is amazing, especially if you get a Tinted Lens one.
Yanmega is nowhere near good enough to justify the amount of time and effort it takes to raise Yanma from level 12 to level 33. By the time Yanma hits level 33, you'll have access to many Pokemon that are flat-out better than Yanmega from the start, and they carry the benefit of not requiring you to use a terrible Pokemon like Yanma for 19 levels.

The Hoppip line is way better than everything else in Bottom and most of the stuff in Low. It might get a bad rep because of its terrible typing and attacking stats, but it is in debilitating that it excels.

Within twelve levels of catching, it learns its attack, all three status powders, and evolves. By the time you reach the latter part of Johto, it is a huge help in taking down key Pokemon in every important battle. Steelix and Poliwrath are easily outsped, Sleep Powdered, and Leech Seeded by even Skiploom. Piloswine and Kingdra (as well as much of the E4 Kanto) are likewise outsped, put to sleep, seeded, Cotton Spored (assuming your entire team isn't freakishly fasted), and then hit with SE Mega Drains or U-Turned on. Keep in mind all of this being down at several levels under them.

The one thing that puts it miles ahead other grass-types at status-abusing is that its moves all stack nicely with each other and can't just be Full Healed off.

It may be hard to train, but with it's main job being boss killing and then switching out, it gets a chunk of many large exp gains. It also gets STAB on grass, which gives it easy KOs on the weak ground, rock, and water types that flood this game. Plus it can get away with just being a lower level.

Keep in mind it also comes before the first gym, so it has the Sprout Tower Bellsprout Elders on its side (who can only attack at 4x resistance).

Slugma can actually be obtained as early as pre-volker via Primo (though around Bugsy and a bit underleveled in realistic terms). Use the generator on Flib.de to obtain an egg with it. (Mareep and Wooper can be found in the wild then and there, so they don't matter)

http://www.filb.de/games/tools/aikotoba?l=en

Dratini also deserves a lot higher. He comes fairly early if bought at the game corner (which is very easy with basic math taking 20 mins maybe), can easily get a good nature from it (as you can save scum on that), and comes with Dragon Rage (at a point that Dragon Rage will 1 or 2 hit KO EVERYTHING, while 3 hit kos only come around the time he starts getting better options) and Thunderwave (Great for captureing AND battle). He becomes a strong hitter when he evolves. It takes no more effort to obtain than say... Magby (from Pokewalker), which I can say from experiance having used both, who seems to be high on the tier list.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I will be taking this over CM and making a new thread. I will be making the tier list almost identical to what Jubilee has done with hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)