Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

i'm having a ton of fun with these new cards. my 50 packs weren't anything stellar but avianna is a ton of fun to win and bm with :> i'm also enjoying lock and load a lot, been tinkering with a mech spare part + lock and load deck to get a ton of cards. it's not as broken as I thought it would be but damn the scope is cool

Pretty decent pull from my end. Had 24 packs of gold saved up in addition to the 50 prepurchase. Saved me the trouble of crafting Paeltrsss and Chillmaw, which I wanted to try but not have to spend my dust on. I got golden dreadscale to go with Acklow's acidmaw. The real kicker was the last pack, from which I got the golden Varian. I'm looking forward to trying the cards out tonight when I get off work.

5800 gold plus the 50 preorder packs = 108 Stars of Destiny

got both the valkyrie twins, fizzlebang, paletress, ice howl and THREE EADRIC THE PURE :/

I bought 18 packs with gold, got a Anubarak and around 5 epics one of which was gold, havent tried any wacky decks yet though.

Yogg-Saron looks a bit OP, 9 mana 13/8 with good text on cards(one of which has immediate effect) >.>
Other than that I like the pirate theme and you even included inspire/jousting, good stuff my dude

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like Flame Channeling is just a strict upgrade to Flamestrike, letting you play that on 7 or 5 with an unstable portal like benefit on 2, plus it lets you put 2 more flamestrikes in your deck as control mage. I like a lot of the designs. Oceanwell seems incredibly powerful, though, especially as a neutral card.

In other news, basically all the new decks are still steamrolled over by a solid Patron list, and over the last two days I was able to climb from 5 to legend with minimal effort. I haven't heard a convincing argument yet for trying any of the dragon lists out there, but I've been having some fun putting Saraad, Paletrss, and Fjola in board control priest (at least until I get hard countered by the totem shaman lists that are floating about), and messing around with smaller reimaginings of bigger archetypes.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lost Plunderer is by far the most interesting card in the set since it's reasonable balanced by class card standards. The rest are pretty damn good. Almost too good I'm

Yogg-Saron looks a bit OP, 9 mana 13/8 with good text on cards(one of which has immediate effect) >.>
Other than that I like the pirate theme and you even included inspire/jousting, good stuff my dude
Maybe, but making a really strong 9 mana card with a super unique effect was the goal :P I definitely don't think it'd be so OP that it would break the game. It's kinda of an interesting option in place of Ysera, and the main body is very easy to remove. It's very comparable to Cenarius, the trade-off being you get extra bodies but the 8/5 is much worse than the 5/8 and there's no option to get the board buff

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like Flame Channeling is just a strict upgrade to Flamestrike, letting you play that on 7 or 5 with an unstable portal like benefit on 2, plus it lets you put 2 more flamestrikes in your deck as control mage. I like a lot of the designs. Oceanwell seems incredibly powerful, though, especially as a neutral card.
Well the drawback of Flame Channeling is that your opponent would know with 100% certainty that there's a Flamestrike in your hand. The card would definitely be super sick in Tempo or Control Mages though that's fo sho. Oceanwell's interesting because you're paying 5 mana for something with 0 attack, it's insanely slow but extremely powerful if it lives for a while. Not sure if decks would run it over Antique Healbot.

Lost Plunderer is by far the most interesting card in the set since it's reasonable balanced by class card standards. The rest are pretty damn good. Almost too good I'm
Yeah I think Plunderer's design is super cool too. Get dat Gorehowl back in the meta! :o

mtg art :D
haha it's really hard to find good cardgame art, so in a lot of cases I caved and used some of MTG's beautiful images :D

Thanks a ton for the feedback everybody!

I guess but even if they know there's a 5 mana flamestrike in your hand there's not a whole lot they can do. There's a reason Flamestrike costs 7 instead of 5, it's pretty impossible not to get blown out by it on 5 mana unless you essentially skip turns or run a very specific deck. Even then if you really care about the information you can always just play it on 7 like a normal flamestrike. Unstable portal gives a similar advantage, sure, but if it draws Antonidas every time for 2 less for example it'd be OP. The randomness offsets the advantage. I think to design a card like flame channeling, assuming flamestrike is costed effectively (imo it is) it needs more of a drawback. Maybe the flamestrike you draw costs 1 less for a total of 8, maybe they get a flamestrike too but yours is the only one that's discounted.

Last edited:
I guess but even if they know there's a 5 mana flamestrike in your hand there's not a whole lot they can do. There's a reason Flamestrike costs 7 instead of 5, it's pretty impossible not to get blown out by it on 5 mana unless you essentially skip turns or run a very specific deck. Even then if you really care about the information you can always just play it on 7 like a normal flamestrike. Unstable portal gives a similar advantage, sure, but if it draws Antonidas every time for 2 less for example it'd be OP. The randomness offsets the advantage. I think to design a card like flame channeling, assuming flamestrike is costed effectively (imo it is) it needs more of a drawback. Maybe the flamestrike you draw costs 1 less for a total of 8.
To get the Flamestrike for 5 you're taking the tempo loss of spending 2 mana earlier in the game to accomplish nothing. And there is certainly things the opponent can do when they know there's a Flamestrike in the opponent's hand, I've played enough arena to know how to do that :P I really like the design because it would be a card that rewards skillful and timely playing both with and against it, which is something Hearthstone needs more of imo

Hey guys, I hit Legend earlier today with a pretty fun Beast Hunter deck. It was absolutely demolishing all the Secret Paladins and Dragon Warriors that are out there right now. Anyone that's trying for a last second climb should give this list a shot

Speaking of arcane dust mines, I recently went ahead and dusted almost all my bad cards (stuff like Demolisher and Questing Adventurer), as well as all my golden cards that I already had two regular copies of. I now have Dr. Boom and 1350 Arcane Dust. It feels great to be able to craft cards if I need them.

Also, I may have dusted Eadric. How much am I going to regret this decision?

I'm scared to dust cards that I perceive to be mediocre right now, because of stuff like Secretkeeper for example suddenly becoming a very meta relevant card right now. I sure as hell never would have predicted that

i'm so glad dragons finally became viable! i'm having great success with the dragon priest (w/ 2 lightbombs and novas, the clears are really nice to have in the board control centered meta). a control oriented dragon mage with effigy and duplicate has also been working really well thanks to the disappearance of face hunter n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)