1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Hearts Alive [OU RMT]

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by Lateralus, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus

HEARTS ALIVE

[​IMG]

Introduction: I've been looking for a team that not only lays down the entry hazards well but at the same time can pack a whallop. However, packing a whallop usually costs significant amounts of bulk. From what I've tested so far, this team is very effective at the whole "slow but powerful" theme I was aiming for.

It is very anti-metagame, as Spikes along with Stealth Rock and a Spin Blocker halt the large amount of s
    witching seen in this metagame. Opponents have to think twice before switching in or risk potentially game-breaking entry hazard damage. Add Sand Stream and a pokemon that can tear through worn down teams and a balanced defense, and that's my team :)

[​IMG]

WEAKNESS
    A.K.A. - TYPE CHART

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HEARTS ALIVE
    AT A GLANCE

|-
    [​IMG]-|-[​IMG]-|-[​IMG]-|-[​IMG]-|-[​IMG]-|-[​IMG]-|

[​IMG]

HEARTS ALIVE
    A CLOSER LOOK

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @ Lum Berry
    [​IMG]
    Ability:
    Keen Eye
    EVs:
    252 HP / 128 SpDef / 128 Spe
    Nature: Impish
    [​IMG] Taunt
    [​IMG] Spikes
    [​IMG] Stealth Rock
    [​IMG] Roost

Skarmory is key to the team's success. Not only is it extremely spongy, able to shrug off Scizor's Bullet Punch (among others), but it is a great user of one of my favorite moves: Spikes!

As a lead, Skarmory can take on a lot of standard leads, including, but not limited to Roserade, Swampert and Metagross. Taunt is great with Lum Berry. It shuts down sleep-inducing leads and other switch-ins such as Rotom-A, so Tyranitar can come in and get rid of it :)

With spikes down, the opponent will have to rethink that crazy switching that commonly occurs in the metagame, and that's magnified when multiple layers of spikes are down.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf [​IMG]
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    [​IMG] Stone Edge
    [​IMG] Crunch
    [​IMG] Pursuit
    [​IMG] Earthquake

Honestly, this thing has worked wonders for me. It's about as bog standard as it gets, but it does its job well!

The idea is to come in on something he resists and pummel it! It's my little solution to Latias and Salamence (if need be), among others.

There isn't much to explain here.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-H @ Leftovers [​IMG]
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
    Nature: Bold
    [​IMG] Thunderbolt
    [​IMG] Will -O-Wisp
    [​IMG] Rest
    [​IMG] Sleep Talk

This guy is awesome. Rotom-H does a great job at 4 things: Spinblocking, Explosion stopping, status absorbing, and Gyarados stopping.

Thunderbolt for STAB, and Will-O-Wisp is for stopping stall and messing up pursuiters :)

[​IMG]
    Latias @ Choice Specs
    [​IMG]
    EVs:
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    [​IMG] Draco Meteor
    [​IMG] Trick
    [​IMG] Thunderbolt
    [​IMG] Surf

To say this thing is anything less than sweet is a ridiculous understatement. This guy (or chick in this instance) is a pro at getting switches. It's STAB Specs'd Draco Meteor just decimated anything that doesn't resist it. Surf and Thunderbolt for coverage.

Trick for fucking up stuff :)

Lucario really appreciates this dude!

[​IMG]
    Lucario @ Life Orb [​IMG]
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    [​IMG] Swords Dance
    [​IMG] Close Combat
    [​IMG] Extremespeed
    [​IMG] Crunch

This here is one of my favorite pokemon. With multiple layers of entry hazards down, the team will be substantially worn down, enabling this dude to go crazy in the later part of the game.

With Stealth Rocks and Spikes damage, Close Combat and Extremespeed will OHKO almost everything. Crunch is for Gengar and those other pesky ghosts. Not much else to say on this guy here, he's pretty bog standard.

[​IMG]
    Salamence @ Life Orb
    EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    [​IMG] Draco Meteor
    [​IMG] Earthquake
    [​IMG] Flamethrower
    [​IMG] Roost

Ah, Mixmence. It's a love-hate relationship, because he's just so good but yet so devastating to face. Pretty bog standard new mixmence here.

Roost for longevity :)

Salamence is the type of Pokemon who fills so many roles that it's hard to predict what set he has until you see a move or two in action.

I love that mixmence just comes right out and destroys pokemon with no required set up time.

Possible Replacements:
    Feel free to make suggestions as to whether I should implement one or more of these :)

Show Hide

None atm :)

So thanks for looking at my RMT! Suggestions and comments are (of course) welcome! Hopefully, this wasn't too bog standard.
  2. Banryu

Banryu

It saddens me a great deal that the most creative part of most of the teams I'm seeing nowadays is the name.

EDIT: LOL. Even sadder then... BTW, I don't really have much to say about this, 'cause it mostly looks like you just grabbed sets from the Smogon main page analyses of each Pokemon... with some possible minor differences but not enugh for me to really care, sorry. :/
  3. Lateralus

Lateralus

Well, its actually a Mastodon song, so sorry to dissapoint you, but it's not that original.

Lord I'm funny :naughty:

Also, don't worry, I'm working on a gimmick team :)
  4. SirCumsAlot

SirCumsAlot

I would recommend Reflect over Overheat. Reflect/WoW on Scizor or t-tar is really helpful. It also helps your team against lead Champ.
    I would highly recommend you Switch T-tar with Skarm for lead positions. Skarm is able to take on more leads easier and can get up Spike Easier. Make t-tar scarfed for a good revenge killer. Run 252 HP / 128 SpDef / 128 Spe. Add Taunt over Brave Bird and add Lum Berry, this allows you to stop Sleep Power/Spore Leads. Such as Breloom, Roserade, etc...
    Otherwise good team.
  5. Eggbert

Eggbert

The incredibly common scarftar can outspeed and OHKO everything on your team except Skarmory and Rotom (who takes up to 78%).

You also should make at least one switch to help against stall. I think the easiest way to do this is to slightly alter Mixmence and run the Classic mixmence. This doesn't make a big change but can help the longevity of salamence who is dying quickly to LO/SS/SR.

With that said, you do not have a single scarfer, so DD Gyarados, salamence, ect can sweep, especially salamence, after a single DD. This is easily fixed by running a scarf latias, who also boasts trick.
  6. Curtains

Curtains

Don't listen to the guy above about creativity. You do You bro.

Rate: you might need a wish supporter since salamence will eat 25% every switch in + sand storm and life orb is like a belly drum for a +0 attack. I suggest removing mix-mence for a more survive-able pokemon like vaporeon or anything else you enjoy. Pick up the speed on rotom too so you have a solid lucario counter. Have at least 280 speed to outspeed adamant lucario.Decent team 6/10
  7. SirCumsAlot

SirCumsAlot

He could try old Mix Mence with Roost, then he will be able to roost off damage on Moves like Pursuits or Earthquakes. Brick Break 2Hit KO's Blissey and its quiet reliable.
  8. Lord Yawgmoth

Lord Yawgmoth

Switch Tyranitar's position with Skarm; Lead Metagross is far too common for Tyranitar to be of much use as a lead.
  9. Lateralus

Lateralus

Lots of changes made!

- Skarm changed to lead skarm, with taunt > brave bird, EVs changed
    - TTar made -> Scarf TTar
    - Rotom Reflect > Overheat
    - Salamence Roost > Outrage
  10. SirCumsAlot

SirCumsAlot

I just realized now with the Skarm Change, you have no SR provider. You could try SR over taunt on Skarm.
  11. Lateralus

Lateralus

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

If I get rid of taunt, I really lose a large part of what makes skarm a great lead.

If I go with stealth rock on TTar, I lose a valuable attack, not to mention he gets locked into SR and has to switch, which is a pain in the ass.

If I add a wishpasser such as jirachi over Salamence, I could possibly implement an odd moveset, such as Thunder Wave/Wish/U-Turn/Stealth Rock, or something along those lines.

Or something else. I don't know at the moment. I need help with this!
  12. Smith

Smith is a 90's bitch
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I'd get rid of Whirlwind for Rocks on Skarmory.

Pretty hardcore, you don't see any spike-stacking offense now-a-days. Regardless, I think you should change your spinblocker.Gengar could do the same 3 jobs your Rotom does, but while keeping a more offensive approach and just inflicting more damage. And yes, the bugger is major scarftar bait, so if you want, you could run a somewhat gimmicky set to lure in and kill it... Substitute + Focus Punch. This also works against Blissey, but your team really has no trouble with that. Not really necessary though.

Despite other comments, I'd keep Salamence, as he provides Lucario with an opportunity to switch in and just generally breaks cores.

I think it today's metagame, Cam Mind Latias isn't very good. I'd change that to Life Orb + 3 Attacks, who is good at breaking down cores for your main sweeper, Lucario. Of course this is sort of redundant with Mixmence so if you do choose this, I'd go with Support Jirachi in Salamence's place.

Just some suggestions. Again, good team.
  13. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Is this Pokémon XD? What is a Shadow Bolt?
  14. SandslashPWNS

SandslashPWNS

As Toxic Spork said, CM Latias is pretty underwhelming in today's metagame with the overflowing of Scarftar and CB Scizor. Anyway, I'd like to second the change of Latias, just not to LO +3 Attacks. Change her to Specs so she can leave MASSIVE dents in your opponent's team. Even those that resist, Scizor, take loads of damage from STAB boosted Draco Meteor. This will allow Lucario to finish up the mess late game.

Overall, cool team.
  15. Lateralus

Lateralus

Thank you guys for all of the comments!

I'm taking SandslashPWNS and Toxic Spork's suggestion to get rid of CM Latias. I implemented Specs Latias, which has worked great so far in testing.

@Toxic Spork: With regards to the gengar thing, I have found that it kinda pales in comparison to Rotom-H. I'm still testing though.

I'm still looking for Stealth Rock implementation. Possibly replacing whirlwind with SR on skarm. I'll see though.

You suck! I was too tired when I wrote this. Correcting now. :nerd:
  16. Eggbert

Eggbert

Two things about skarmory-

How does it match up against leads like azelf and infernape, and who are your switch ins?

If you need SR, it would have to go over whirlwind, as Spikes are the importance of skarmory, roost is 100% necessary, and taunt is what makes the set effective.
  17. Lateralus

Lateralus

Changed Whirlwind to Stealth Rock on Skarm
  18. jc104

jc104 Humblest person ever
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Two things jump out at me when looking at theis team - the lack or SR, and a huge DDmence weakness.

The first problem can be dealt with as mentioned above by removing Whirlwind for SR on Skarm. However, the lack of Phazing will provide additional weaknesses. This leaves you even more open to DDmence, and also to DDtyranitar. This would likely mean that you would have to put superpower over EQ on Tyranitar, opening un a CM Rachi weakness.

As for salamence, I would simply suggest Scarfing your Latias. At the moment, every member of your team is OHKOed by the appropriate move at +1, and you cannot even beat a Salamence locked into Outrage. Scarfing your latias will allow you to outrun and KO Salamence at +1, though this is still far from reliable, given Latias' pursuit weakness.

Good luck.
  19. Lateralus

Lateralus

Yeah, I forgot to add SR to skarm. I corrected it now.

DDMence is kind of a bitch, but it is to pretty much any team with the right checks removed, which is usually late-game, when Salamence makes its move.
  20. jc104

jc104 Humblest person ever
    is a Contributor to Smogon

The problem is that there are no checks to remove. Your current best hope is to use Extremespeed with Lucario for ~45%, then let LO and SS take their toll. I would expect that you might lose 2-3 pokemon this way at a minimum. This assumes SR and Sandstorm, which might well be unlikely given the pressure you are putting on Skarm to set up both varieties of entry hazard.

Edit - scarf latias is a very simple fix.
  21. Lateralus

Lateralus

Yes, DDMence is a problem, and I know I'm relying on SR + SS + Extremespeed and I'll probably lose a good amount of members if it sets up, but I don't see a fix without changing the team entirely.

Using my 24-hour bump as well.
  22. Sprinkles

Sprinkles

Hey. Pretty cool team but I see some issues. First off, your team has trouble switching into things like cbtar, and latias/mence. Also generic water sweeper like suicune combined with a pursuiter rapes this team as well, because the pursuiter kills off latias and rotom your best defenses against the water. Gyarados also shuts this team down. I think the best change to fix your weakness against some of these things as well as to stay alive against stall better is to run a restalk rotom over your current set. This will greatly improve it's longevity enabling you to spin block better and counter shit better. Now I think a solution to patching up the weaknesses to like tar and salamence is to provide a swampert somewhere to 1. Lay down sr and free a spot for skarmory, and 2. Counter physical threats. I think the best place for it would be over salamence because latias already provides great dragon firepower and salamence is just taking so much damage from sr and the like it won't last long. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck!
  23. Lateralus

Lateralus

Hey dude,

Thanks for the rate. Yeah, I like the idea of RestTalk Rotom and swampert. It looks great on paper, so I'll test it out.
  24. ToF

ToF
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 13 Champion

A lot of stuff has already been mentioned by other raters, so I'll just chime in with whatever I feel you could use.

Your Rotom-H set is just flat out ass. Reflect and WoW on the same set are worthless. Crippling an opposing Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp is good enough, adding Reflect is just overkill. Since you don't have a status absorber, I'd just go with a set of Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp / Rest / Sleep Talk. Works efficiently as a spin blocker and status absorber.

You are also quite DDMence weak and to an extent DD Gyarados weak unless you change Rotom-H to a RestTalker like I suggested above. You could kill two birds with one stone and just Scarf Latias as I think someone suggested earlier. Although you lose out on the power boost Choice Specs gives you, you at least have a reliable way of taking down a +1 Salamence.

That's basically all, this team is like your typical OU ladder team at the moment, so there's not much to really change anyway.
  25. muffinhead

muffinhead b202 wifi vgc
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I might recommend flygon over mixmence, as it doesnt lose that ridiculous amount of damage as it switches in, and can clean house just as well. As much as i hate using smogon sets, this one would work best:

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly / Adamant: 6 hp / 252 atk / 252 spd
    U-Turn, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Outrage.

With jolly, flygon can outspeed neutral +1 salamence, but tbh i think everyone uses naive mence. EV spreads could go any way you want. this set could work a lot better against latias than salamence because of U-Turn. Ground typing helps flygon in a sandstorm as well.

If you are worried about too many choicers in your party, then you could put DD on tyranitar. It uses up a valuable move slot, yes, but the outcome is amazing. Most ttars in-game are scarfed, so the opponent will most likely switch away into something that resists stone edge/EQ/crunch. With DD, they will lose a turn when they switch away from ttar, AND you gain not only 1.5 speed, but 1.5 attack as well. DD also does not have the drawback of locking into one move. Once ONE Dragon Dance is up, it's basically gg.

seems pretty solid after that :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)