Heatran (Gen 4, Metal Sound)*

Hi there. I decided to write up a set for Heatran using Metal Sound after I saw it in its analysis. However, it wasn't a dedicated Metal Sound set because the set was using Taunt and barely any Speed. So, I tested it out for a while and damn was it impressive. Enjoy!

Heatran

[SET]
name: Metal Sound
move 1: Metal Sound
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran makes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. With Metal Sound, Heatran can combat Pokemon whom it otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, Latias, and bulky Water-types. Because of this, Heatran can more effectively threaten its common switch-ins, making it harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran. In OU, only Latias, Salamence, and Dragonite resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power Heatran's Life Orb-boosted attacks have against opponents hit by Metal Sound, below are several damage calculations against Pokemon who would otherwise threaten Heatran.</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Timid Latias: 67% - 79%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Naive Salamence: 100%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Jolly Dragonite: 79% - 93%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs 24 HP / 232 SpD Calm Blissey: 46% - 54%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs 160 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Tyranitar: 89% - 100%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs 188 HP / 0 SpD Bold Vaporeon: 92% - 100%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Suicune: 87% - 100%</li>
</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on someone whom it can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound since your opponent will likely switch out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom it can set up on, that should be taken into account when using Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. If you are capable of scoring a Flash Fire boost, Heatran becomes powerful enough to OHKO Latias after being hit by Metal Sound with Fire Blast. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOes that it otherwise can't achieve, such as against Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with its overall bulk and it also lures in Grass-types, like Celebi, of whom Heatran can take advantage. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making it a prime candidate for setting them up. It also attracts Fire-type attacks and Pokemon like Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changes in blue
Removals in red
Comments in green

[SET]
name: MSTran

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine Heatran’s high Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, then Heatran makes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. Metal Sound helps Heatran combat Pokemon who it otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, Latias, and bulky Water-types. MSTran can essentially threaten its common switch-ins, making it more difficult to check.</p>

<p>When Fire Blast is used in tandem with Metal Sound, the damage output is ridiculously high, even against Pokemon that resist it. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for coverage purposes. The former KOes Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types that constantly shut down Heatran. This combination of moves is only resisted by Latias, Salamence, and Dragonite in OU; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power Heatran’s Life Orb boosted attacks have against opponents hit by Metal Sound [to me, "Metal Sounded" sounds pretty dumb], below are several damage calculations against Pokemon who would otherwise threaten Heatran.</p>

</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on somthing that it can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound as your opponent switches out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon that it [try to avoid doubling the subject] can set up on, that should be taken into account when using MSTran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or Overheat. If you are capable of scoring a Flash Fire boost, Heatran becomes powerful enough to OHKO a Latias hit with Metal Sound with Fire Blast. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor.</p>

Good job! I used this set a while ago, and can attest to its effectiveness. ;)

Even after a Metal Sound, Heatran still cannot beat many of the Pokemon listed. Latias, Sala, and Dragonite outspeed can OHKO, and TTar might be scarfed. Metal Sound is most useful against Blissey and CM users, but otherwise is outclassed by just attacking.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have to agree with Phantom, the calcs are not really doing much since they outpace and OHKO beat you most of time. I'd like to see Substitute on this set to successfully protect yourself from faster threats. With that said, Stealth Rock + Spikes would be nice to rack up residual damage.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Could we change the title to something like "metal sound heatran"? The move metal sound isn't common enough to be associated with the intials "MS" the way "BP" obviously means either baton pass or bullet punch. When I read the title my initial thought is that it's named after the user MS.

Thank you Philip and Snorlaxe.

@Phantom IV & j. franky: I only listed Salamence and Dragonite because these are other Pokemon that resist the Fire/Ground/Grass combination. However, these aren't "useless" calculations because that just means these Pokemon are unable to set up on Heatran like they would if Heatran wasn't carrying Metal Sound. That could easily save you in a match. Heatran can survive Surf from Latias (I've experienced this scenario before) so I kept her there. About Tyranitar, that calculation was assuming Choice Band Tyranitar, hence the 160 HP. This set is by no means inferior to other Heatran sets, so please don't bring that up.

I don't really like the idea of adding Substitute to this set because not only will it leave Heatran open to different threats (take out Earth Power lost to Heatran, take out Hidden Power Grass lose to Water-types), but Life Orb + Substitute + Stealth Rock + maybe Spikes = overkill. Unless you (or someone else) can convince me why Substitute deserves to be on the set, I'll add it in.

EDIT: Sure thing Scofield.

EDIT2: That's what I changed it too Phantom. And yeah, I kind of just named it MSTran because there's MSDos. :P

About the name change: perhaps naming the set Metal Sound would be more fitting. The only other set I remember with MS in the name is MS Dos, but that one's a humorous reference.

Hi there. I decided to write up a set for Heatran using Metal Sound after I saw it in its analysis. However, it wasn't a dedicated Metal Sound set because the set was using Taunt and barely any Speed. So, I tested it out for a while and damn was it impressive. Enjoy!

Heatran

[SET]
name: Metal Sound

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine Base 130 [repetition of heatran, sounds better] Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran makes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. Metal Sound helps Heatran combat Pokemon which it otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, Latias, and bulky Water-types. With Metal Sound, Heatran can much more effectively threaten its common switch-ins, making it harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon which resist Fire Blast will take a lot of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types that constantly shut down Heatran. This combination of moves is only resisted by Latias, Salamence, and Dragonite in OU; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power Heatran’s Life Orb-boosted attacks have against opponents hit by Metal Sound, below are several damage calculations against Pokemon who would otherwise threaten Heatran.</p>

</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on something that it can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound, as your opponent will likely switch out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon that it can set up on, that should be taken into account when using Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. If you are capable of scoring a Flash Fire boost, Heatran becomes powerful enough to OHKO Latias after being hit by Metal Sound with Fire Blast. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended, as it turns many of Heatran's mere OHKOs and 2HKOs into guaranteed ones, [what?] such as against Dragonite and Blissey. Metal Sound will also force switches, racking up damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with its overall bulk; it also lures in Grass-types like Celebi that Heatran can take advantage of. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making it a prime candidate for setting them up. It also attracts Fire-type attacks and Pokemon like Rotom-A, which Heatran can switch into without much fear.</p>
it should be worth mentioning that non-scarftran attracts shit like scarf ttar.

I think Substitute should be mentioned in here somewhere probably in place of Hidden Power [Grass] because if you get it so that you can be in the sub as Vappy and Suicune are sent out you can Metal Sound twice probably doing just as much damage if not more.

Thanks pluffers!

@Zeyre: I don't understand what you're saying. If you're using Substitute as Vaporeon/Suicune come in, you can only use Metal Sound once as they break your Substitute with Surf. I would rather catch them on the switch with Metal Sound and OHKO them after. I would lose less HP than I would if I used Substitute + Metal Sound + Earth Power (which wouldn't even OHKO).

<p>Combine its base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran makes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. Metal Sound helps Heatran combat Pokemon who it otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, Latias, and bulky Water-types. With Metal Sound, Heatran can much more effectively threaten its common switch-ins, making it more difficult to check.</p>
I'm not sure if this still needs a grammar check, but I feel like the inclusion of the word "it" in the first sentecne of the the first paragraph sounds better than having the word excluded.

About the set, it certainly seems viable as it can make full use of the unique move of Metal Sound.

Good job! I want to try out this set for a new team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)