Heatran: The Lava Loving Steel-type

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to give a big thanks to Jibaku, who wrote the parts about Taunt Heatran, Rest Talk, and the conclusion.

Introduction: Why use Heatran in Ubers?

When looking over Steel-types to choose for your Ubers team, Heatran is likely not your first choice. This is understandable, as it does have the unfortunate disadvantage of being countered by the most common Pokémon in Ubers, Kyogre. Despite this huge setback, Heatran has one huge advantage over every other Steel-type in the Ubers metagame: its immune to Fire-type moves. In Ubers, many Dragons such as Dialga and Giratina-O have started to use Fire-type attacks as their only way to defeat most Steel-types, and Heatran can easily take advantage of this with its resistance to Dragon-type attacks and Flash Fire, forcing these Pokémon to switch out. Heatran can also become an offensive threat in the sunlight provided that you have defeated Kyogre, as its Sunny, STAB Fire Blasts will deal a huge amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it (bar Blissey), and to even more absurd heights if you manage to get a Flash Fire boost!

SETS TO TEST

===========================================

RestTalk

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm / Modest Nature (+SDef/+SAtk, -Atk)
- Lava Plume / Flamethrower
- Toxic / Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

[As a note: A few people have used this set to a great success]

Heatran's amazing resistances are further abused through the use of this set. Mixed Giratina-O bothering your Forretress? Send in this Heatran! Mixed Rayquaza threatening your stall team? Send in this Heatran! and so on. Unlike the Taunt/Roar set, this set actually has a form of recovery in it, making it much tougher to take down.

The choice between Lava Plume and Flamethrower is up to you. Lava Plume can distribute burns, but Flamethrower 3HKOes Bulk Up Dialga (you need Modest for this). Roar can spread entry hazard damage (and works nicely with Sleep Talk too), while Toxic can poison floating Pokemon such as Latios and Latias.

Modest gives Heatran overall more firepower and also 3HKOes SDef Bulk Up Dialga when using Flamethrower. Calm will ensure that Choice Scarf Palkia’s Surf will never 3HKO in the sun, thus allowing you to Rest and let Toxic slowly whittle away at Palkia till it dies. Calm is generally the preferred nature as this Heatran is meant to act as some kind of wall.

Here are a few more calcs (all calced against 252/252 Calm Heatran)
Scarf Palkia’s Surf in sunlight
399 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (95 Base Power): 120 - 144 (31.09% - 37.31%)

Mixray’s Draco Meteor
399 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (140 Base Power): 114 - 135 (29.53% - 34.97%)

Mewtwo’s Aura Sphere
407 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (90 Base Power): 154 - 182 (39.90% - 47.15%)

More significant if you use Flamethrower here, and if Mewtwo's poisoned via Toxic Spikes.

Choice Specs Dialga’s Dragon Pulse
657 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (90 Base Power): 93 - 110 (24.09% - 28.50%)

Choice Specs Dialga’s Draco Meteor
657 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (140 Base Power): 144 - 170 (37.31% - 44.04%)

Darkrai’s Focus Blast, non Life orbed

369 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (120 Base Power): 186 - 220 (48.19% - 56.99%)
You have a good shot there. Not only is Focus Blast NOT a guaranteed 2HKO, it has a 49% chance of hitting twice in a row with it.

Mixed Giratina-O’s Draco Meteor

291 Atk vs 342 Def & 386 HP (168 Base Power): 77 - 91 (19.95% - 23.58%)
Lol

TauntTran

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/144 Spd/112 SDef
Calm nature
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Roar
- Dragon Pulse

Now this set does seem extremely odd on paper, but it can be extremely destructive (especially against stall teams) if played correctly. For maximum effectiveness, use with sunlight (duh,) multiple entry hazards on the field, and a spinblocker – Heatran’s amazing typing allows it to scare off a huge list of Pokemon, and this is where Roar kicks in as you phase away their counter back to another Pokemon. Sometimes, the Pokemon dragged in is something that Heatran will scare away once more, and you can continue Roaring or just simply attack with a sun-boosted Flamethrower or Dragon Pulse. Taunt runs over recoveries from slower Pokemon such as Blissey, and makes Wobbuffet useless if it comes in. With Toxic Spikes, things like Giratina-A and Blissey will fall very quickly. It can Taunt Dialga from using Bulk Up and Roar it away. It can Taunt opposing Rest/Talk Heatrans and Roar it away. Taunt slower Ho-oh and Roar it away etc etc etc.

Flamethrower and Dragon Pulse are chosen as attacks because they give an almost unresisted coverage – Flamethrower can be absurdly powerful at times and DPulse smacks Giratina-O. You may wonder how this Heatran survives without any form of recovery. Heatran is bulky and can live through many hits, and because he causes a lot of switches he can get a decent amount of health back from Leftovers. Same cas as why there’s no Rest on defensive Groudon, really. Anyways, how bulky IS this heatran? We’ll see.
Mixed Rayquaza

Draco Meteor

399 Atk vs 303 Def & 386 HP (140 Base Power): 128 - 151 (33.16% - 39.12%)

Outrage
346 Atk vs 248 Def & 386 HP (120 Base Power): 117 - 138 (30.31% - 35.75%)

Rayquaza will have a tough time trying to get past Heatran – Dragon Pulse does an average of 55% against Ray, and Ray has a low chance of 3HKOing Tran with Meteor + two Outrages. With Stealth Rock up, Rayquaza will be at 65% after Meteoring Heatran on the switch, and it can either switch out or use Outrage. 10% more HP will be drained and Heatran has a decent chance of KOing Ray with DPulse, or living through the next Outrage.

The same Draco Meteor calc can be used for Mix Dialga calcs.

Mixed Giratina-O

Draco Meteor
291 Atk vs 303 Def & 386 HP (168 Base Power): 87 - 102 (22.54% - 26.42%)

Outrage

338 Atk vs 248 Def & 386 HP (144 Base Power): 105 - 124 (27.20% - 32.12%)
Giratina-O is weaker than Rayquaza and doesn’t really hurt Tran all that much with Draco Meteor. Outrage can leave a bit of a dent though, but even with Spikes + SR damage there’s a very high chance that Meteor + two Outrages won’t kill Heatran, whereas Heatran deals a comfortable 73% minimum with two Dragon Pulses (more if Tina-O is Naïve). Furthermore, Giratina-O simply dies badly if it uses HP Fire or Shadow Sneak on the switch, and loses if it has Dragon Claw instead of Outrage (which is perfectly reasonable because Outrage locks you). Even if Heatran dies to Tina-O from 3 turn Outrage/not “fully” confused, it’ll be too weak to serve as a spin blocker and thus you are free to use it later in the game.

Ho-oh

LO brave bird

394 Atk vs 248 Def & 386 HP (120 Base Power): 133 - 157 (34.46% - 40.67%).

That might seem scary, but Ho-oh takes 50% from Rocks and chances are it’ll try to Roost on you, so Taunt that and it’s stuck with brave Bird which won’t kill tran and you can roar it out.

Anyways these are just the relevant calcs. There are more calcs that I don’t want to bother – because Heatran either takes too much (such as LO Aura Sphere from Mewtwo), or too little (Dragon Claw from Giratina-A).

I urge you all to try this Heatran set. I have used this Heatran set to a great success.

Choice Specs

Heatran @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Modest / Quiet
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Grass / Earth Power / Explosion

Before I start explaining this set, I think its best for me to show you some damage calcs, as they are what convinced me that I need to test Choice Specs Heatran.

Overheat, Fire Blast and Flamethrower (in that order) in the sun vs...

0 HP Rayquaza (with Air Lock factored in): 58.4% - 68.95% , 50.14% - 58.97%, 39.89% - 47.01% . (This is pretty big, because if Rayquaza takes an Overheat or a Fire Blast while Stealth Rock is out, it will die on the next switch in due to Stealth Rock. Even if it switches into Flamethrower, it will not be able to switch into Flamethrower again if Stealth Rock is out! If Rayquaza switches into Heatran, its probably going to Earthquake, so predict that and you can possibly screw over Rayquaza!)

252 HP / 60 SpD Groudon: 142.57% - 167.82%, 121.78% - 143.56% , 96.78% - 114.36%

252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Dialga: 100.25% - 118.07%, 86.14% - 101.24%, 67.82% - 80.2%

86 HP / 96 SpD Giratina-O: 48.05% - 56.71%, 41.34% - 48.7%, 32.47% - 38.31%. (Something big to note here is that Fire Blast has around a 71% chance to 2HKO Giratina-O in the sun after Stealth Rock.)

4HP Garchomp: 89.94% - 106.15%, 77.09% - 91.06%, 61.17% - 72.07%

Overheat, Fire Blast, and Flamethrower in the sun after a Flash Fire boost vs...

0HP Rayquaza: 87.46% - 103.13%, 74.93% - 88.32%, 59.54% - 70.09%

4HP Palkia: 55.9% - 65.84%, 47.83% - 56.21%, 37.89% - 44.72%

4HP / 252 SpD Calm Blissey: 75.46% - 88.8%, 64.88% - 76.38%, 51.23% - 60.43%

Dragon Pulse vs...

4HP Palkia: 85.71% - 101.24% (around an 87% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock damage)

4HP Garchomp: 103.35% - 121.79%

252HP Giratina: 54.76% - 64.68%

4HP Latios: 66.23% - 78.15%

As can be seen by these damage calcs, Choice Specs Heatran is extremely powerful in the sun, being able to 2HKO even a lot of Pokémon that resist its attacks! If Heatran gets a Flash Fire boost, even Palkia will have trouble switching into boosted Fire Blasts! Of course, because of the heavy reliance on the sun, this set will need Kyogre out of the way even more than usual. This is why I want to test Hidden Power Grass on Specstran. According to my damage calculations, a Modest Specstran Hidden Power Grass deals 54.97% - 64.91% to 4HP Kyogre, and 46.53% - 54.95% to max HP Kyogre; far more than Heatran could ever hope to do to Kyogre without Exploding. Earth Power could be used for other Heatran and hurting Tyranitar, while Explosion can at least remove Blissey and Kyogre switch-ins in exchange for Heatran's life.

==========================================

Choice Scarf

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Rock]

I wasn't too fond of Choice Scarf Heatran the last time I tested it, but I feel that I should retest it just in case it is worthy of being in the analysis. In the sun, Fire Blast will always OHKO offensive Mewtwo after it takes Stealth Rock damage, while Darkrai and Shaymin-S are obviously OHKOed. Dragon Pulse's main purpose is to 2HKO incoming Palkia and Rayquaza, while Explosion is a last ditch move that will OHKO max HP Kyogre after it takes Stealth Rock damage. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is here to OHKO Rayquaza and Garchomp, as this will allow Heatran to revenge Swords Dance Rayquaza. Hidden Power Rock deters Ho-oh from swapping in. It'll also allow Heatran to defeat non Earthquake Ho-oh one on one.

Some of you might be wondering, why use this over Choice Scarf Dialga? While Scarf Dialga would normally seem like the better choice due to its higher Speed and Special attack, Heatran does have a few advantages that ensure that its not outclassed. First of all, Heatran's typing and ability gives it a Dragon resist and a Fire immunity; both things that Dialga really wishes it had. The Dragon resist is particulary important, as this allows Heatran to survive a Draco Meteor from mixed Rayquaza (dealing 37.46% - 44.27%), and to revenge kill a weakened Palkia a bit easier in the sun. The other main advantage Scarf Heatran has over Dialga is Explosion, which can allow Heatran to sacrifice itself for an emergency revenge kill.

Substitute

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest / Quiet
- Substitute
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Toxic / Explosion

Often times, when you switch Heatran into a Fire-type attack from a Dragon, on Forretress, or Scizor, the opponent is going to switch out. This set's purpose is to take advantage of that by using the time to set up a Substitute. If the opponent switches in Palkia or Rayquaza (who is highly likely to have Earthquake if its switching in), you take over 50% of their health with Dragon Pulse before switching out. If the opponent switches in Kyogre, you can either cripple non Rest versions with Toxic, or you can sacrifice Heatran with Explosion to take out Kyogre. I have heard and seen people use Substitute Heatran sets well in Ubers, so please comment on this set so I have a better idea of its viability before I test it!

Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest / Quiet
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Toxic / Explosion / Roar

As you can see, this is pretty similar to the Substitute set above, but with Stealth Rock over Substitute. I actually don't have too much of a direction for this set at the moment besides taking advantage of Heatran's typing to set up Stealth Rock. I will probably test both offensive and more defensive versions of this.

Torment Tran

Unfortunately we don't have anything to really put in as a description here. But the idea is that it punishes Pokemon such as Choice Specs Kyogre and Choice Scarf Palkia swapping into Heatran. This Heatran is to be used with Toxic Spikes in order to complement its stallish nature.

Recommended Partners

Groudon- provides sunlight, which boosts Heatran's firepower and weakens Water attacks, lays Stealth Rock and has high Defense which allows it to take on assaults from the likes of Rayquaza and Tyranitar. Groudon can also support Heatran by using Thunder Wave to paralyze Heatran's foes.

Pokémon that can deal with or lure and defeat Kyogre*(Ho-oh, Latias, Palkia, Latios)- Kyogre is Heatran's arch nemsis, thus its important that your team has a way to deal with it. First of all, a Kyogre check such as Palkia (watch out for Calm Mind Kyogre if you are using Scarf Palkia!), Latias, or Latios is highly recommended. Latias and Latios are particualry notable for resisting all of Heatran's weaknesses, and vice versa. While Ho-oh is certainly no Kyogre check, it can lure it in and slam it with Brave Bird.

Pokémon that attract Fire-type attacks*(Forretress, Scizor, Metagross) – Heatran thrives on Fire move, thus having a Pokémon to lure in Fire-moves is highly recoomended. Scizor and Forretress are by far the best choices for this, because Fire is their only weakness. Other Steel-types such as Metagross and Jirachi are also fine as long as you avoid the Earthquakes.

Pokémon that can defeat or take advantage of Blissey*(Wobbuffet, [insert powerful physical attacker here], Forretress)- Although Blissey can lose to Heatran in some situations, it will still often be a massive pain in the ass due to its Special walling capabilites. The Tickle Wobbuffet + Pursuit strategy can remove Blissey from the game if needed, while strong physical attackers like Groudon can at least force Blissey out. Finally, Forretress can be used to set up entry hazards on Blissey.

Conclusion
Some say that Heatran is the anti-metagame Pokemon at this stage of the metagame, and that may be true. With Dragon and Fire moves thrown everywhere, and sunlight gaining some focus due to Ho-oh (who doesn't seem to use Earthquake that much nowadays), Heatran has a relatively easy time finding a switch in and taking advantage of it. Like Dialga, Heatran posseses both the ability to wall hits as well as dealing damage like a nuke. Underestimate this Pokemon at your own peril.

The main purpose of this thread is going to be exploring Heatran's viable sets in the Uber metagame, so I can determine what to put in its analysis!

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have used the Scarf Heatran set and I must say it is pretty good. It keeps tons of things in check such as Palkia/Dialga/Giratina/Shaymin-S/Mewtwo/Darkrai/Garchomp/SD and Mixed Ray/ and more. The Speed (lets Heatran beat everything up to Deoxys-A) has also helped me pull off a few late game sweeps! :D

I usually find HP Rock to be the superior option on Scarf and Specs Heatran. As Ho-Oh is a huge threat in this metagame, Heatran makes a great check for it. Heatran actually can switch into Sacred Fire without fear and it also resists Brave Bird, and Scarfed HP Rock does about 70% iirc. (Obv. beware of Ho-Oh's with Earthquake)

I've yet to use the other sets but I'm not sure about the EV spreads for the Sub/SR sets...usually Heatran likes having some Speed in Ubers to outrun some of the slower base 90's. A speed boosting nature with 160 EVs lets Heatran outspeed Adamant Rock Polish Groudon before a boost, which is the fastest significant thing you'll outspeed without a Scarf. I think that Quiet/Modest without Speed will make it a bit too slow, and do those HP EVS allow Heatran to dodge any significant KOes?

Anyways, here is a lure Heatran set I've used to some success:

Heatran (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 98 HP/160 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Anyways, this Heatran is a more offensive Stallbreaker, used to lure in and beat special walls such as Blissey and Ho-oh with Explosion and Hidden Power Rock, respectively. Chople Berry is weird, but it allows Heatran to bluff a Scarf (thus luring Blissey and Ho-oh in thinking that they get free turns.) as well as letting it stay a good check to Mix Dialga/Rayquaza with Brick Break, Aura Sphere Mewtwo, and some Darkrais after Sleep Clause. (Shuca Berry is useless as most EQs kill Heatran anyway, and Passho is equally useless because Kyogre will just power right through that.) The Speed allows what I have stated before. Another thing of note is that is also lets Heatran outspeed most Ho-oh.

Heatran can also set up Stealth Rock effectively with this set if Ho-Oh is not a threat.

I really think Heatran is a great Pokemon in Ubers, and I look forward to do more testing on it. :)

Just one thing about the top set-
Even if it has a dragon resistence, most things carrying dragon moves pack a ground move, don't they? I was under the impression that nearly every rayquaza set included EQ, as well as most physical gira sets.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well....
The only dragons that commonly carry EQ are Rayquaza, Garchomp and Salamence. Giratina-O rarely uses Earthquake and Dialga, Palkia, Latios, Latias do not use EQ at all (barring CB sets...which are almost nonexistent).

The "new" giratina-O lead carries EQ to deal with Dialgas, so it could be used against heatran.
Also, i dont know if the statistic comprove that, but most of the Rayquazas ive seen lately carried overheat. ( i hadnt play that much, so i cant say that most REALLY carry it)

The "new" giratina-O lead carries EQ to deal with Dialgas, so it could be used against heatran.
Also, i dont know if the statistic comprove that, but most of the Rayquazas ive seen lately carried overheat. ( i hadnt play that much, so i cant say that most REALLY carry it)
No it does not, the standard set carries shadow sneak/hp fire/dragon claw/draco meteor.

I've found that while Heatran probably performs best in sun-centric teams (for obvious reasons), it may also be the ultimate deterrent to other sun-centric teams. This is because Heatran resists sun-based combos like Fire/Dragon, Fire/Ice/Grass (there's also Fire/Ice/Electric but Thunderbolt is often too weak and Thunder has that annoying 50% accuracy in sun), Grass/Dark/Ice, etc. Ho-oh can try and poke at it (or run Earthquake outright), but you never know whether the Heatran has HP Rock or Roar. Groudon will also be hurting a lot; a Heatran I faced outsped my Groudon and OHKO'd with a Flash Fire boosted Flamethrower.

I've become the victim of a few Heatran while using my sun-centric team, but I've ignored them until now because they are still pretty rare right now and I can just call bad team matchup. But now I find myself running into two in a row today and I believe that this thread is the reason for it :( (I've been focusing more on Suspect and UU these past weeks, which is why I never really noticed it before.)

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I have been testing Choice Specs Heatran and Stealth Rock Heatran for a bit. So far, Choice Specs Heatran has been a NUKE IN A CAN. once Kyogre is down, it was really causing a lot of damage! Also, Heatran's bulk is very helpful here too. I can easily find time to switch in thanks to that Dragon resist. For similar reasons, Stealth Rock Heatran has worked well so far. However, I have only tested it with Explosion so far.

Alright, I have been testing Choice Specs Heatran and Stealth Rock Heatran for a bit. So far, Choice Specs Heatran has been a NUKE IN A CAN. once Kyogre is down, it was really causing a lot of damage! Also, Heatran's bulk is very helpful here too. I can easily find time to switch in thanks to that Dragon resist. For similar reasons, Stealth Rock Heatran has worked well so far. However, I have only tested it with Explosion so far.
Regarding to the choice specs set that you created, how come the set has two fire moves? It seems to me that you can ditch flamethrower and replace it with something like toxic or will-o-wisp.

Will-o-wisp in particular would work well on the specs set since it completely cripples things like DD Rayquaza and Tyranitar on the switch (yes I've seen some here and there in Uber play). Not sure how Kyogre would take burns though.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Two reasons really.

1) Accuracy.
2) PP. Pressure is really common in ubers, so Fire Blast / Overheat really only gets 4 shots each.

Theorymon

I have been testing Torment Heatran for a while now, and I can easily say that it kicks ass! With Toxic Spikes support, this thing has been seriously running through whole teams! I have also been using it with Wobbuffet support to help it set up a Substitute. A great thing about Torment Tran is that it punishes a lot of Groudon and Kyogre switch ins when Toxic Spikes are up.

I feel that Eruption should be added to the Choice Specs set now that Heatran gets it and it will rip stuff apart when in the sun or with a Flash Fire boost (both? murder).

I feel that Eruption should be added to the Choice Specs set now that Heatran gets it and it will rip stuff apart when in the sun or with a Flash Fire boost (both? murder).
Heatran is extremely slow, especially with a specs. It's better to invest in Hp and special attack obviously. Heatran relies on resistances to survive, so eruption isn't a good choice, since heatran will gradually lose hp.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
That and Eruption is not programmed into the Shoddy server, so we cannot be sure whether or not it is truly effective.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran doesn't have access to Eruption.

EDIT: Didn't realise that Heatran now has Eruption. Scarf Heatran with Eruption might be viable, but Specs is too slow.

Theorymon

is solarbeam more usable in ubers?
Not really. The only real reason for Heatran to use a Grass-type attack would be to hit Kyogre. Problem is, Solorbeam's power is halfed in the rain, so you are only hitting Kyogre for a supereffective 60 base power move, which is weaker than Hidden Power Grass. Also, because of the rain, Solorbeam will take a turn to charge up, thus ruining your chances against Kyogre. TBH, so far the only useful use of a Grass move I have found for Heatran is Hidden Power Grass on Choice Specs Heatran, because it can 2HKO some Kyogre.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
wouldn't Hidden Power Electric be a better choice then Hidden Power grass as you can cover Ho-Oh and Kyogre that way (groudon hates fire moves anyway.. and this would prevent shaymin-S from getting a free sub potentially and at least doing some damge to rayquaza).

(Yeah I know groudon can get a free set up with electric, that's why I'm asking which one is better, but it can outspeed and eq....:S).

Theorymon

The problem is that HP Electric does too little to Ho-Oh. Even a Modest Choice Specs Heatran does 41.8% - 49.5% to max HP Ho-Oh with HP Electric, thus it can start Roost stalling you. I can see it wining a couple of matches, but giving Groudon a switch-in like that doesn't seem like a good trade imo.

I've been using Heatran and have been using para support which has been helpful in allowing Heatran to hit things before he is KO'd considering his low speed. Paradancer Groudon works as a good para lure.

Remember that Eruption Heatran must be Quiet, so you're not outspeeding even Scizor. Para support would be necessary in utilize Heatran at all given the absurd power of Uber's attacks. But, that gives you an excuse to invest in HP/(Sp)Def which might let it take some hits, allowing it to switch in repeatedly to Dragon moves. Eruption is a mixed bag, and it's too bad that it forces you to be Quiet (at least that's +SpAttk). Plus with only 8 PP Ho-oh can switch in, drain 2 PP, and force you out, getting a free sub if you're choiced. Gotta always keep that stuff in mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)