Heatran

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]
  • + Great typing and bulk
    • +Resists common spread moves (Heat Wave, -ate Hyper Voice, Blizzard)
    • +Immunity to Fire-type moves, and gains more power on its own Fire-type moves if that immunity is used due to Flash Fire
  • + Strong special attacker
  • + Powerful spread STAB option
    • -Wide Guard
  • +Good coverage
    • Can still be walled by common threats
  • -Common weaknesses (Ground-, Water-, and Fighting-types)
  • -Can be very predictable with few variations on its sets
  • -Bad speed tier
    • Too slow to not use Trick Room or Tail Wind, but still gets outsed by common sweepers under Trick Room

[SET]
name: Substitute Attacker
move 1: Heat Wave
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Modest
evs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Heat Wave
    • Powerful fire-type STAB
    • Hits both opponents
    • Can be blocked by wide guard
    • Spammable under many circumstances
  • Earth Power
    • Good coverage
    • Hits many Pokemon for neutral damage that resist Heat Wave
    • Hits Aegislash when it's using wide guard
    • Hits opposing Heatran
  • Substitute
    • Good bulk allows Substitutes to take multiple hits
    • Allows Heatran to avoid status such as paralysis and confusion
    • Gives Heatran a buffer from powerful super effective moves
  • Protect
    • Allows Heatran to avoid an otherwise fatal attack
    • Allows for scouting of surprise coverage moves that would otherwise KO Heatran
    • Stalling out field conditions such as rain, Trick Room, and terrains

Set Details
========

• EVs and nature
    • 252 SpA EVs with a boosting nature maximizes Heatran's damage output
    • If EVs need to be moved into other stats, this is typically the stat taken from
    • 200 Spe EVs with a neutral nature allows Heatran to outspeed neutral natured base 70s
    • 252 Spe EVs and maybe even a boosting nature can be used to help in the Heatran mirror
    • 56 HP EVs are the leftover EVs
    • Gives Heatran a good Leftovers + Substitute number
    • Allows Substitutes to survive adamant Landorous-T Rock Slides
    • 0 IV in attack and a hindering nature is recommended to reduce damage from confusion
  • Item
    • Leftovers are best
    • Gives passive recovery to restore HP for substitutes
    • Heatran is generally in for enough turns to allow for Leftovers to heal more than a Sitrus Berry
    • No other item is recommended if Substitute is being used

Usage Tips
========
  • General playstyle
    • The goal with running this Heatran set is to set up a Substitute so that Heatran can safely deal solid damage against the other team using Heat Wave
  • Setting up and using Substitutes
    • Easy to do against support Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Jirachi
    • Scarfers locked in to weak hits such as Rock Slide Landorous-T are easy to set up on
    • Avoid setting up on pokemon that beat Heatran themselves, but don't immediately switch out if a substitute is already up
    • Use Heatran's partner
    • If Heatran is at risk of being KOed, even behind a Substitute, switch out. It's usually more worth while to keep Heatran healthy and safe for later use that simply let it get KOed.

Team Options
========
  • Redirectors
    • Helps set Substitutes up
    • Helps prolong Heatran's staying power
    • Amoonguss
  • Sun (weather)
    • Powers up Heatran's strongest move
    • Most Water-types dont like the sun being up, so one common check to Heatran is weakened
    • Mega Charizard-Y
  • Checks and counters to Fighting-types
    • Fighting types are one of Heatran's biggest weaknesses
    • Fairy, Flying, and Psychic-type Pokemon can beat most fighting types, and appreciate having opposing Steel-types being taken out of the game.
    • Mega-Salamence, Tapu Lele, Latios
  • Fake Out support
    • Helps with setting up substitutes
    • Can be used to prevent a strong move being launched off
  • Tail Wind or Trick Room
    • Heatran is needs some form of speed control
    • Many Tail Wind setters also have good offensive synergy with Heatran such as Shaymin-Sky
    • Latios
  • Defensive synergy
    • Because of it's bulk and typing, it can switch in on hits that would KO allies
    • It's weaknesses are common resistances for other types, so pokemon that resist or are immune to it's weaknesses for it to switch into are great for it's longevity
    • Suicune, Tapu Bulu
  • Indimidate
    • Forces switches, especially among physical Fighting-types that otherwise threaten Heatran
    • Increases Heatran's physical bulk
    • Salamence (pre-mega)
  • Dragon Slayers
    • Any Dragon-Type that resists or is immune to Ground-Type moves, such as Hydreigon and Salamence, completely walls Heatran
    • Partners with powerful Ice- or Fairy-type attacks that can handle these pokemon are great assets for Heatran
    • Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Mega-Diancie

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • 3 Attacks
    • A secondary STAB or coverage move can be run over Substitute
    • Flash Cannon and Flamethrower (or any single target Fire-type move)
    • Hidden Power Ice can be used to get a surprise KO on 4x Ice-type weak pokemon, such as Landorous-T and Mega Salamence
    • Life orb or Shucca Berry are the preferred items for increased power or longevity, respectively
    • Safety Goggles is an option for Spore and Rage Powder immunity if Amoonguss is a problem
  • Eruption
    • Do not use with Substitute
    • Leftovers are preferred to restore HP and increase Eruption's base power
    • Forced Quiet nature, so use on a Trick Room team
Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-Type Pokemon**
  • Attacks are 4x super-effective
  • Common coverage type for many special attackers
  • Many Pokemon Heatran checks carry Hidden Power Ground to get the surprise KO

**Water-Type Pokemon**
  • Bulky waters can easily take several hits from Heatran and either OHKO or 2HKO Heatran in return
  • Offensive waters, especially under rain, outspeed and OHKO Heatran with their powerful STAB attacks

**Fighting-Type Pokemon**
  • Most fast offensive Fighting-types carry a strong STAB attack such as Close Combat or Superpower
  • Bulky Fighting-types can tank several hits and KO Heatran in return. Many of them even restore their HP with Drain Punch
  • Common type for coverage

**Wide Guard**
  • Prevents Heat Wave from connecting
  • Forces Heatran to either rely on it's partner to either KO or force out the Wide Guard user, use a coverage move, or switch out

**Opposing Weather**
  • Only really threatened by rain
  • Weakens power of Heat Wave
  • Many rain attackers are offensive Water-types who can easily KO Heatran with a STAB and weather boosted Water-Type attack

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Even though this is a skeleton, you still need to include all the information that would be in a full writeup. Put it back into WIP and work on this some more, Heatran is an important Pokemon so I need a detailed analysis on site. Since this is so important I'm being strict, so this will be your last warning or I'll ask that you write a lower priority Pokemon.

I've fleshed out most of the points I made in the original OP. Is the EV spread good? It's the one I typically use, but the XY analysis has something else listed. I feel my overview is too short, but I expand on all of the points throughout the rest of the post. I used the old analysis as a reference for a lot of info, especially for OO and Checks and Counters.

Should I give Eruption its own set? I think that it's different enough from the standard Substitute set to get it's own, but it was only mentioned under OO in the XY analysis, so I wasn't sure. Thoughts?

I'm going to keep it in WiP until I get the OK from someone on QC to move it to that stage this time and not rush it.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I appreciate the effort you've put into this, but it isn't up to par with what we're looking for so I have to reassign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)