Heatran

ehh, id rather run lava plume because with will o wisp u cant do anything with volcaronas.

and also! for all heatran users. make heatran a female. a rivalry CB haxorus OHKOes male heatrans.

Rivalry is not worth giving up the ability to hit Gengar and Bronzong with Earthquake FYI...

So stop with Rivalry. It sucks. Air Balloon Heatran wins Haxorus anyway. Flame Charge as he pops your balloon, kill off with Earth Power.

tehy

Banned deucer.
But you have your teammates for heatran and he's a 2hitko if he comes in on you, beating something that hard-counters you is better than something you mostly beat anyhow.

Besides, rivalry only defeats stupid players, who you shouldn't need help defeating.

u need that extra power to go through walls, imo.

stupid players? how so? even smart players dont change their gender.

Most decent players will actually make atleast there walls female, and I would rather not outright lose to them because my haxorous has a problem punching girls. And if you make your haxorous female, then you lose out on power against weaker players. Its a lose / lose situation.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Exactly what i was saying.

besides if you're going to use team help as an excuse then GG, it goes both ways and the argument dies. If you can kill a bronzong you can kill a heatran.

And using a neutral base power 120 move on a pokemon that constantly boosts its already good special defense and often has healing moves is stupid, use will-o-wisp and switch out of volcarona or just run roar.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Quick question?

Why isn't flash cannon recommended on heatran's specs set? If only for getting the 2hko on SpD tyranitar, sure. But why not use it to lure in one of heatran's most common counters?

Unique typing-It has defensive great typing, neutral to stealth rock, and able to easily switch in because of it's steel typing.
Just a quick nitpick here, but I have trouble referring any pokemon with a 4x weakness to Earth and 2x weaknesses to Water and Fighting as having a good defensive typing. Most sweepers laugh in his face. Whenever my opponent brought one out in D/P/Pt it always meant a free DD boost for Gyarados.

I'm sorry if I offend any of his diehard fans. I am a little biased, since I dislike legendaries on principle.

Heatran great defensivly. A Steel type immune to fire, yes please! He is the only Pokemon I think that resists the Fire-Dragon combination. His typing allows him to deal with some of the top sweepers in the game; namely scizor and volcarona.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Heatrans got a good defensive typing because he resists the attacks of common Pokemon such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, Chlorophyll sweepers, Dragon Attacks, Jirachi Volcarona etc. He was often refered as anti-metagame Pokemon in 4th Gen because of his great typing that allowed him to switch in on a lot of common Pokemon without worrying much. Drizzle and the now much more common Fighting type sweepers make his life a little more difficult nowadays, but being a generally safe switch in for the Pokemon mentioned above still makes him a great defensive pivot especially for offensive teams.

Scizor almost always carries Superpower, which even if Heatran's defenses are at 252/252 and Scizor is max attack (a viable assumption since only two of its movesets run anything else) deals 73.1%-86.5%. Since no one runs defense evs on Heatran you usually won't see any higher than 252/0, which takes 92.2%-108.8% from Superpower.
On the note of Volcorona I completely agree, however since Heatran is far from the only pokemon in OU that walls Volcorona, case in point. Heatran does however have the advantage of flash fire, since everything else with it is in lower tiers. It would be pretty hilarious to see a Flareon switch in on a Volcarona, get the boost, and proceed to sweep.
As for Jirachi a smart player will usually scout for Heatran before attempting a sweep. Also, Heatran switching in risk being hit with a thunder wave.
@Alphatron people don't switch into Gyarados, Gyarados switches into Heatran.

I am a little biased, since I dislike legendaries on principle.
If you're aware that you have a bias, then what about working on it ? You state that a Jirachi player is not going to let Heatran get in the way of his sweep, but on the other hand a Heatran player is always going to give a free turn to Gyarados ? It seems to me one is smarter than the other...

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Instead of being biased against legendaries, you should realize that Nintendo's (or really, whatever strategy guide you're reading) arbitrary definition of legendary has little to do with competitive Pokemon. Nobody cares if you can make a team that survives without "legendaries" because many non-"legendaries" are just as viable. Would you not use Scizor or Gyarados if for whatever the reason, suddenly became legendaries? Instead, try getting over your bias and try your hand at Jirachi, Celebi, Landorus, Heatran etc. and who knows, maybe they'll work for you!

If you're aware that you have a bias, then what about working on it ? You state that a Jirachi player is not going to let Heatran get in the way of his sweep, but on the other hand a Heatran player is always going to give a free turn to Gyarados ? It seems to me one is smarter than the other...
I think you guys misunderstand me. I don't think heatran is bad, just doesn't have as good of a defensive typing as people make it out to be. Plus the appeal of heatran is his ridiculous SpA and his ability to switch in easily. Let me put it this way...
When D/P/Pt hit the metagame almost all fire types were hit hard by SR plus weaknesses to Rock Ground and Water. As much as people rave about Heatran his benefit is normal damage from rock, traded for a weakness to fighting, an even more common type. Granted, the Steel typing does its job in many resistances, but the glaring weaknesses are just a real turnoff for me.

Anyway I agree with you Hydeous. I'm just saying that because from personal experience people I've fought who are using a heatran rarely scout the enemy's bulky water. If you're going to use him, do it right at least.

Additionally NixHex what I mean by "bias" is that I refuse to use legendaries and pseudo-legendaries because I reject the notion I had when I was younger thinking that only legendaries were worth using. Also when I do use legendaries I get no satisfaction from doing so. If I can use a Furret in a Nuzlocke run of Gold that isn't thoroughly overleveled to take out the first member of the Elite Four, I can win battles without using pokemon which Nintendo goes out of their way to give overpowered stats. I still have a lot of respect for people who use legendaries with a lot of skill and beat me hard.

I think you guys misunderstand me. I don't think heatran is bad, just doesn't have as good of a defensive typing as people make it out to be. Plus the appeal of heatran is his ridiculous SpA and his ability to switch in easily. Let me put it this way...
When D/P/Pt hit the metagame almost all fire types were hit hard by SR plus weaknesses to Rock Ground and Water. As much as people rave about Heatran his benefit is normal damage from rock, traded for a weakness to fighting, an even more common type. Granted, the Steel typing does its job in many resistances, but the glaring weaknesses are just a real turnoff for me.
You have 3 weaknesses, 10 resistances, and 1 immunity.

If that isn't good defensive typing, I don't know what is.

The existence of a steel/ghost which still has to be made. It would probably be some sort of legendary.

As for now, Heatran is good typing and did no one ever run Hp Electric on their Heatrans in 4th generation? I did, it was a recommended move (unless in the gameboy).

HP Electric never fazed me, but I was that one lunatic that had my Gyarados hold a Wacan Berry. While Gyarados is fairly bulky, by the time you get off a dance or two you're usually too low health for Life Orb to be worth it.

Also, like I said Drifloon, I dont mind that there's three weaknesses, just that those weaknesses are to extremely common types.

The existence of a steel/ghost which still has to be made. It would probably be some sort of legendary.

As for now, Heatran is good typing and did no one ever run Hp Electric on their Heatrans in 4th generation? I did, it was a recommended move (unless in the gameboy).
I did for a while, but I ended up changing it to HP grass because swampert was typically switched in on my heatran, and I figured since most other water types took the same amount of damage from HP grass, I figured I might as well. Heatran isn't really a good counter for gyarados, even if you're running HP electric.

Also, steel/ghost type pokemon would be fucking awesome. It'd probably be pretty weak seeing that it would likely just have more weakness than the two types on its own, but who knows.

Quick question?

Why isn't flash cannon recommended on heatran's specs set? If only for getting the 2hko on SpD tyranitar, sure. But why not use it to lure in one of heatran's most common counters?
Late, but it wasn't really addressed. Many of Heatran's counters are water-type, so Flash Cannon won't help you there. It does help against SpD Tar and Dragons (particularly Latios or Hydreigon), but the slot can be better used by a Hidden Power. Fire Blast is great as a primary STAB as is.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran was my favorite Pokemon in Gen 4, but I haven't used it in over a year thanks to Drizzletoed shitting everywhere. Scarf Heatran is just too slow compared with faster Scarfers such as Rotom-W, Terrakion, and Landorus, all of which prevent it from performing its revenge killing duties. Rotom and Terrakion resist its primary STAB, Rotom and Landorus are immune to Earth Power, and Hidden Power can only cover one threat at a time. Dragon Pulse is the only common move that hits those three neutrally. I'm still paranoid of random Earthquakes too...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone seen TormentTran lately?
I cannot remember when was the last time that i saw this set...
And it was a very good one!

Also, steel/ghost type pokemon would be fucking awesome. It'd probably be pretty weak seeing that it would likely just have more weakness than the two types on its own, but who knows.
Steel/Ghost has only two weaknesses, losing Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark in exchange for also losing the Fighting weakness. That's a pretty damn good defensive typing right there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)