HeForShe (new gender rights movement launched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tory

Banned deucer.
Hello everyone, this is Tory here. Today is my 23rd birthday.

Anyway, lets get to the topic. Have anyone heard about the HeForShe by Emma Watson? What is it? HeForShe is a campaign led by UN Women in which men all over the world are being encouraged to speak out against the inequalities faced by women and girls. It aims to involve 100,000 men and boys in the fight towards gender equality. It has launched on September 20, 2014.

Why was this movement was made in the first place? Emma Watson believes in today's world, "feminism is a negative word." Feminist always get a accused for "hating men." So basically, since she is convincing males to sign up the HeForShe program, so it won't be looked as a hate group. Is Emma Watson fighting for rights in modern day to improve life or she is just another player that wants to get all the dick and money to have that fast life supported by her fellow males? What do you think?

In my personal opinion, if there's an organization group that only favors one gender/race/religion, it is a supremacy group in my eyes. Today is also four years of my two businesses about marketing and design. I hire people to coach about designing, building traffic and subscriptions to build relationships with people all round the world. From North America, Europe to Asian, Australia etc., Have a good day Smogoners.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Are you joking or just socially retarded? Emma Watson highlighting the plight of women worldwide is not a ploy to 'get all the dick' (I can't believe your brain allowed you to type that without throwing up at least one warning flag), nor is it a 'supremacy group.' It's a great cause and, while I think it will take a whole lot more effort (and time, mainly) to address the worldwide mistreatment of females, efforts like this should certainly be commended. They shouldn't be subject to snarky, backhanded comments on primarily male internet forums.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm having trouble figuring out this op.

Edit: http://time.com/3432838/emma-watson-feminism-men-women/

I'm going to remain pessimistic until it's proven otherwise. HeForShe isn't a gender equality movement, it's a feminism movement with an olive brach towards men—better than nothing, I guess, but... "Custody rights? The massive fallout of a false rape accusation? Nah, the real gender issue men face is they can't cry in public!!"

Last edited:

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I don't think you can counter this by simply going 'But hey, men have it tough too...right?' That only achieves two things:

1) It blunts the impact of this campaign and any other campaign before or after.

2) It makes you look ignorant of the sheer scale of the problem. As the UN developmental programme said, 'No society on earth treats its women as well as its men.' Also note the worldwide scale of this initiative; it's not just about you getting paid more than Sally. It's about rape being used as a weapon of war in Africa, about female infanticide in China, about women being banned from driving or even riding a bicycle in Saudi Arabia, about women not being allowed to lawfully own any land in Chile, about the complete lack of political representation (85% of seats worldwide are held by males) or access to education (2/3rds of illiterate adults are female) etc etc etc, none of these stats should surprise anybody because we all just pretty much accept that this shit goes on.

I'm not looking to completely undermine the struggles that men face but anybody who thinks this initiative is unfair on males needs to get some perspective.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
(warning, i cant find how to put my thoughts into words here, if i sound like an oaf please take it in the best light)

I get all of what you're saying, and I think that women still definitely need people advocating for their rights. I think HeForShe is infinitely better than the feminism that says "all PIV is rape," and I support their goals. I'm just not suckered in by the branding of "supporting HeForShe is good for men too!" when it actually does nothing to address any inequalities that negatively affect men—and I'm not going to not support it just because it doesn't, but i'm disappointed that something which seemed to have the potential to reconcile the women's rights and men's rights movements into one banner decided to stop short.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
the men's right movement has been motivated by misogyny and repression more than the inequalities facing men. the only mainstream feminism that says piv sex is rape is the one that conservatives strawman up for the purposes of burning down.

as for HeForShe... On one hand, as a male who has been speaking about the 'inequalities' (yah that word doesnt mean anything, js) facing women, for both justice and profit, it would be 'nice' (read: I really don't care if this changes) if I didn't at times feel a distance from my 'peers' merely because I'm male. I still feel like men are trained by society to be dangerous af, and thus I completely understand why many women are 'afraid' of many men they encounter. It has never been a part of my politics to include distinct groups and then 'equalize' (thsts a dirty word) them, if my politics doesn't include men or represent the interests of men, it also doesn't represent the interest of kitty cats:

So anyway, aiming to include is never as a good a goal as aiming for actual justice, though inclusion may seem like a step towards justice, if it comes at the price of less money/attention on more important projects then it may be appropriate to ask if a certain activist group isn't ACTUALLY doing the work of creating 'false-flags' that draw attention away from more important issues. In this case, I think it is certainly appropriate to call HeForShe a false-flag, given the current racist conditions prevalent across america (FERGUSON) I feel that racial justice projects ought to be prioritized over projects that aim to get men to speak.

And btw, it's not like men can't speak, men have it the easiest when it comes to censorship. No, having men speak about issues is not at all something I'm interested by, they already speak too much about that which they understand so little (ex: abortion, prostitution, etc).

also, 'heforshe' is a reification of gender binaries and men saving women tropes and so much other problems...

Last edited by a moderator:

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Myzozoa i had to remove those images because they are huge as hell and make reading your post/scrolling to see other posts hard, sorry

edit: i should really close this topic, i dont know if "ploy to get all the dick" is a good way to kick off discussion on sensitive issues. seems like it will only invite trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)