UU Heliolisk

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Overview
########

With a base 109 Speed stat, Heliolisk outspeeds a lot of common Pokemon such as Infernape, Galvantula, and Cobalion. It also has a great movepool, boasting moves such as Surf, Grass Knot, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, Hyper Voice, Volt Switch, and Dark Pulse. Heliolisk also has Dry Skin, which provides it an immunity to Water-type moves and therefore allows it to threaten a multitude of Water-type Pokemon in UU. It also has a nice immunity to Ghost-type moves, meaning it can switch into Choice-locked Chandelure and nab a free Volt Switch.

While Heliolisk has two immunities and a colorful movepool, it is weak to common attacking types in UU such as Ground and Fighting. This is also exacerbated by the fact that it has pitiful 62 / 52 physical bulk, meaning even resisted physical hits are going to take a chunk of Heliolisk's HP. It must also use Life Orb, which can wear it down even more quickly if it wants to take advantage of its coverage moves.

Life Orb Attacker
########
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Grass Knot / Surf
move 4: Thunderbolt
ability: Dry Skin
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Volt Switch is a STAB move that provides easy momentum for Heliolisk's team. Hyper Voice is a decent STAB move as well, hitting all Ground-types as well as striking targets through Substitute. Grass Knot is for bulky Ground-types, such as Hippowdon and Swampert, that may attempt to switch into Heliolisk's STAB moves. Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB move and secures the 2HKO on Suicune. Surf can be used instead of Grass Knot, as it hits Nidoqueen and Nidoking along with Rotom-H for super effective damage. Focus Blast may also be used to hit certain Dark- and Steel-types, such as Hydreigon and Mega Aggron, a lot harder. Focus Blast also nails many special walls, such as Umbreon, Snorlax, and Blissey, harder than any other move Heliolisk has.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs allow Heliolisk to outspeed many threats and to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Life Orb boosts the power of all of Heliolisk's attacks while giving it the freedom to switch between its moves, but Choice Specs can be used instead for more initial power at the cost of not being able to switch between moves. A Timid nature allows Heliolisk to outspeed base 108 Pokemon, such as Infernape, Galvantula, Virizion, and Cobalion. Dry Skin is used to allow Heliolisk to switch in on Water-types and threaten them with a Life Orb-boosted STAB Thunderbolt.

Usage Tips
========

This set enjoys being brought in after a teammate has fainted or with a slow Volt Switch or U-turn rather than hard switching in, as Heliolisk cannot take many hits.

Team Options
========

Fire-types particularly enjoy Heliolisk's ability to absorb Water-type moves and threaten Water-types back with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Entei is a particularly good partner, as it serves as a very good wallbreaker once bulky Water-types are worn down or gone. Flying-types make good partners as well, as they can take care of all of Heliolisk's weaknesses; they resist Fighting-type attacks and take no damage from Ground-type attacks. Crobat is a particularly good partner, as it can form a VoltTurn core with Heliolisk, providing easy momentum for the team. Other U-turn users such as Mega Beedrill and Mienshao can also be good partners and form an effective VoltTurn core with Heliolisk. Rain support from the likes of Whimsicott or Tornadus can prove very helpful, as Dry Skin's recovery under the rain essentially negates the recoil of Life Orb. Thunder can be an option for Heliolisk to use over Thunderbolt, as it gains 100% accuracy under the rain and hits a lot harder.

Other Options
########

Glare is a great option, allowing Heliolisk to cripple Pokemon that may try to switch into it, such as Ground-types. However, Heliolisk has amazing coverage and would much rather take advantage of that to try and cripple the enemy. Choice Scarf allows Heliolisk to outspeed a lot of common Choice Scarf users, such as Mienshao and Infernape, as well as Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl. Substitute can be a nice move for Heliolisk, allowing it to avoid status, and it can gain HP fairly easily thanks to Dry Skin. Leftovers can be used over Life Orb. Without Life Orb, however, Heliolisk loses a lot of power and cannot 2HKO Suicune. Signal Beam is another option, hitting Grass-types harder for super effective damage. However, like Chesnaught and Roserade, most Grass-types in UU are neutral to Bug thanks to their secondary typing.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Florges and Blissey can tank any move Heliolisk has to offer and proceed to Wish stall Heliolisk or use Toxic to poison it.

**Calm Mind Users**: Calm Mind users, such as Reuniclus, can Recover off any damage they have taken from Life Orb Heliolisk, which Reuniclus can take advantage of by setting up Calm Mind.

**Physical Attackers**: With Heliolisk having such frail Defense, any hard hitting physical attacker such as Entei or Mienshao can OHKO it.

**Priority**: Most forms of priority, bar Aqua Jet, are going to hit Heliolisk hard due to its pitiful bulk. Furthermore, Heliolisk is weak to Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, two common priority moves in UU.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd add Scarf to a main set tbh, it's sitting just above Infernape, the quickest common scarfer atm and it fills Raikou's boots as a scarfer fairly well. It doesn't have amazing damage output but it does enough. Aside from that I would really put Surf over Volt Switch on the LO set and put Volt as the second slash. Surf just gives amazing coverage, SE damage against Gligar, Nidoqueen, Fire types, etc. Focus Blast is also pretty good on the LO set as it can hit Blissey, Umbreon and Snorlax for SE damage, so I would either mention it in OO or put it as a slash somewhere, aside from that it looks all good. You should also mention priority as a check as well as revenge killers.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'd add Scarf to a main set tbh, it's sitting just above Infernape, the quickest common scarfer atm and it fills Raikou's boots as a scarfer fairly well. It doesn't have amazing damage output but it does enough. Aside from that I would really put Surf over Volt Switch on the LO set and put Volt as the second slash. Surf just gives amazing coverage, SE damage against Gligar, Nidoqueen, Fire types, etc. Focus Blast is also pretty good on the LO set as it can hit Blissey, Umbreon and Snorlax for SE damage, so I would either mention it in OO or put it as a slash somewhere, aside from that it looks all good. You should also mention priority as a check as well as revenge killers.
I was on the fence to be honest about adding a Choice set because of the main reason being that Heliolisk appreciates the ability to switch moves thanks to your coverage. I want to consult with QC before officially adding a Choice set as those don't seem to be the main draws of using Heliolisk (although I agree with your points about why Scarf Lisk can be a set).

Other than that, I implemented your suggestions.

QC Question: Should I make a Scarf and Specs set? Is it worth it? Yes or no?

I feel like a Choice set would be super redundant with what's already here. In Set Details, include a sentence saying that Heliolisk can opt to run Choice Specs if it wants the power over the ability to switch moves. Choice Scarf can stay in Other Options, since that set would give up a ton of power in exchange for more revenge killing capabilities, and thus would play slightly differently than LO/Specs, but I'm not convinced that it deserves its own set altogether.

Volt Switch should be a mandatory move on any Heliolisk and shouldn't be slashed with anything. Volt Switch allows Heliolisk to pivot out of switch-ins that would normally beat it 1v1, getting chip damage, retaining momentum, and allowing it to have a better shot at beating them on subsequent switchins (Examples are things like Shaymin, Rotom-H, Florges, Hydreigon). Instead, additional coverage moves should be slashed with Thunderbolt. What I have in mind looks something like this:

Volt Switch
Hyper Voice
Grass Knot / Surf
Thunderbolt / Surf

with Focus Blast mentioned in Moves or Set Details for a stronger hit on certain mons like Hydreigon. I haven't used Heliolisk so you've probably got a better idea of what moves are best overall than I do, but Volt Switch is definitely necessary is what I'm trying to say.

Team Options can include Rain support with Thunder over Thunderbolt. Other Uturners should be listed as well.

nv

The Lost Age
I feel like a Choice set would be super redundant with what's already here. In Set Details, include a sentence saying that Heliolisk can opt to run Choice Specs if it wants the power over the ability to switch moves. Choice Scarf can stay in Other Options, since that set would give up a ton of power in exchange for more revenge killing capabilities, and thus would play slightly differently than LO/Specs, but I'm not convinced that it deserves its own set altogether.

Volt Switch should be a mandatory move on any Heliolisk and shouldn't be slashed with anything. Volt Switch allows Heliolisk to pivot out of switch-ins that would normally beat it 1v1, getting chip damage, retaining momentum, and allowing it to have a better shot at beating them on subsequent switchins (Examples are things like Shaymin, Rotom-H, Florges, Hydreigon). Instead, additional coverage moves should be slashed with Thunderbolt. What I have in mind looks something like this:

Volt Switch
Hyper Voice
Grass Knot / Surf
Thunderbolt / Surf

with Focus Blast mentioned in Moves or Set Details for a stronger hit on certain mons like Hydreigon. I haven't used Heliolisk so you've probably got a better idea of what moves are best overall than I do, but Volt Switch is definitely necessary is what I'm trying to say.

Team Options can include Rain support with Thunder over Thunderbolt. Other Uturners should be listed as well.
I agree with the bolded statements. The rest of the suggestions were implemented.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • Pitiful 62 / 52 / 94 bulk
94 base SpD honestly isnt that bad, just saw awful physical defense.
  • Hyper Voice is a great STAB move, hitting everything neutrally
This isnt true lol, its just hitting most if not all ground immunities for neutral damage, and is also a good secondary stab.

nv

The Lost Age
  • Pitiful 62 / 52 / 94 bulk
94 base SpD honestly isnt that bad, just saw awful physical defense.
  • Hyper Voice is a great STAB move, hitting everything neutrally
This isnt true lol, its just hitting most if not all ground immunities for neutral damage, and is also a good secondary stab.
I fixed these, :)

Signal Beam and Substitute in OO. Former hits Grass-types harder than Hyper Voice, and it has many opportunities to use the latter thanks to Dry Skin

Last few nitpicks: Crobat is used listed twice in Team Options, so remove one. Also, Focus Blast doesn't hit most Steels harder, as Tbolt hits Forry, Bronzong, and Empoleon harder and KOs Lucario anyway. Just change it to "certain Steels such as Mega Aggron".

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd mention the special walls FBlast hits for SE damage such as Umbreon, Snorlax and Blissey, which is one of the better reasons to use FBlast anyway.

nv

The Lost Age
Signal Beam and Substitute in OO. Former hits Grass-types harder than Hyper Voice, and it has many opportunities to use the latter thanks to Dry Skin
Last few nitpicks: Crobat is used listed twice in Team Options, so remove one. Also, Focus Blast doesn't hit most Steels harder, as Tbolt hits Forry, Bronzong, and Empoleon harder and KOs Lucario anyway. Just change it to "certain Steels such as Mega Aggron".
I'd mention the special walls FBlast hits for SE damage such as Umbreon, Snorlax and Blissey, which is one of the better reasons to use FBlast anyway.
Everything has been implemented, :)

Heliolisk has an amazing base 109 Speed stat
This is just a bit nitpicky but I would change amazing to great because it's not that good and I feel amazing should be associated with pokes such as Azelf, Alakazam, Crobat, Aerodactyl (even before mega), Mega Beedrill etc. while 109 isn't that good if you see what I'm saying

Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
This is just a bit nitpicky but I would change amazing to great because it's not that good and I feel amazing should be associated with pokes such as Azelf, Alakazam, Crobat, Aerodactyl (even before mega), Mega Beedrill etc. while 109 isn't that good if you see what I'm saying
Fixed.

This set is specifically used to counter Water-types only carrying STAB moves, such as Crocune while also hitting said Water-types hard with a STAB Electric-type move.
Heliolisk is not used specifically because it can switch into Water-type Pokemon, that's just Heliolisk's main way of switching in and threaten the opponent's team with its great coverage.

nv

The Lost Age
Heliolisk is not used specifically because it can switch into Water-type Pokemon, that's just Heliolisk's main way of switching in and threaten the opponent's team with its great coverage.
Fixed, :)

nv

The Lost Age
Bumpthing is bothering me, oh yea...forgot to say that this is ready for GP, :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)