1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Help me with basketball

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by SRS, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SRS

SRS

In the area I live in, no basketball hoops are allowed to be put up in the houses. The gym has no hoops, and my school is too far away to get to. I was wondering, how on earth could I get better at basketball in this situation?
  2. vonFiedler

vonFiedler Visualize It
    is a Community Contributor

No basketball hoops are allowed in houses, I fail to see how this could be enforced. Your school is too far away? So, you just don't go to school?
  3. SRS

SRS

In the neighborhood I live in, you cannot put up a basketball hoop outside in your driveway/yard.

I cannot put a basketball hoop inside my house, as I could easily break things, I wouldn't get the proper height of a real basketball hoop, and I wouldn't be able to dribble.

And my school is very far away, that I cannot bike or walk there. My parents are constantly working throughtout the summer, so they cannot drive me
  4. macle

macle ribbit
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

You don't need a basketball hoop to practice basketball. You can do dribbling skills instead and you can still lift weights i guess. You could also go to a friend's house and play.
  5. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Basketball revolves around being able to dribble. Everywhere you go, you should have a ball with you so you can dribble, do both hands and learn how to switch with fluidity. Once you learn how to dribble, you will make any team you try out for; THEN you can learn how to shoot.
  6. cantab

cantab

Put a hoop up, put a plant pot in it, call it a hanging basket. Remove plant when you want to play, put it back afterwards.
  7. ivar

ivar

just be yourself and before you know it, you'll have a wicked crossover.

or you can find a gym to practice in. if you cannot, then give up on basketball. simply put, dribbling alone will not give you the tools to play the game. you need to be able to score, and you need to be able to find competition to score against so you can have a game mentality. this all requires a basketball net. take up soccer instead.
  8. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Not having a hoop is probably a blessing, honestly. Shooting is really not that important in basketball, especially in middle or high school. It is far, far too easy for players to create opportunities for layups and high-percentage shots for you to be focused on working on long distance shooting. That will come naturally to you once you play for awhile on a court. I know that probably doesn't make too much sense, but honestly, watch any high school or middle school game and you'll see a pretty blatantly obvious opening more often than not.

Dribble. A lot. Both hands, between hands, through your legs (not because it's a valuable in game tactic but because it builds dexterity). Spin, crossover, fake out. If you've got a friend, once you get this stuff down just try to dribble past him.
  9. Scimjara

Scimjara Bert Stare

Well you can always take your bicycle and go little out of town and find a house with a hoop and just play there until they kick you out.
  10. Broth3r

Broth3r

Pretty much what's been said about dribbling.

But I am curious why the hell hoops aren't allowed. Like, the 'hood association thinks they disrupt their image, or do they still think basketball is a "negro sport"?

If it's the first one, the finger to them. If it's the second, both fingers.
  11. Lakers

Lakers

Honestly, if you wanna get better just do two things: Run and dribble... Switch between long distance running and doing things like suicides and sprints, then after that just dribble.. Honestly, shooting wont do you any good if you cant create your own shot off the dribble or be able to actually drive to the hoop. If you jsut run and dribble you'd be fine, then your shot can develop after that
  12. ivar

ivar

huh? how can you do lay-ups without a basket...? bouncing off a wall isn't lay-up practice. you need to get a feel for the basket, dribbling exercises are insufficient. honestly, the best way to learn basketball is to play basketball and to do that you need baskets. drills are used as supplements to augment game time ability, but they can never replace it. you just need a feel for the game (how to maneuver around a court, where people are, etc). you need a basket to develop true basketball skills, period. otherwise you will go into a game completely clueless.

plus, in high school jump shoots are immensely important. have you even played basketball?
  13. jwoozie

jwoozie

I agree with everything about dribbling, dribbling every single day with your head UP will greatly benefit you. And a jump shot is important as the post above me stated, but it is very possible to be a great player without a good jumper. If you have the dribbling skill and quickness to get to the basket at will then a jump shot isn't relevant until the upper levels of basketball like college.
    Also, watch games as much as possible. Pick a player that is similar to your playstyle and watch everything he does on the court. And don't just watch the ball, you can learn a lot more about the game by intently watching the activity off the ball than watching the ball. College hoops are probably better to watch for this because the NBA is full of one on one stuff that doesn't help you much at all.
    Unless of course you're a shooter that loves coming of screens, in that case watch tons of Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen and especially Reggie Miller.
  14. Lakers

Lakers

Not really to be honest... Yeh, its important to have a rim so you can learn to finish around the rim and actually have an outside game but if you've played before, you honestly dont need to have a basket to remember the feel for the game. Im assuming hes played before, so if he wants to get better the best way is to run and do dribbling exercises. Just shooting around on a hoop isnt going to do anything if he cant get the ball to the rim without any handles and if he isnt running he wont be able to play any D or get up and down the court
  15. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Again, I'll be the tenth guy to tell you that no hoop is a blessing in disguise. I was stuck in a place with no hoop. The countryside. No place for hoops. Just a basketball and a tract of land. All I did was sit down on a rock and dribble that basketball. Both hands. Then I'd get up and run with it, practice crossovers, and other moves.

I sucked at dribbling, and I'm still not that great. However, doing this for a week helped me improve so that I can now fluently drive to the net without failing epicly. Just practice dribbling.
  16. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Lay-ups are not difficult shots. I can do lay ups and I'm not very physically fit nor do I regularly play basketball anymore. On paper I probably should have been cut from my team, but in practice I'd look for good shot opportunities and just play smarter than the opponents I had to play. Obviously not very high-level basketball, but if someone's looking for help on Smogon they won't be getting to levels high enough anyway.

You're essentially rephrasing "you need to know what the smart shots are and where to take them" with your line, which you can do without a hoop. If you can get to a hoop once every two weeks and do layup and shot drills there, you'll get all of the shots you need.

Yup. Jump shots are important, yes, but far more often than not there's an opening.
  17. Berserker

Berserker

I know people are obviously going to say, 'keep practicing', but I was wondering if there was a hint to this. I can aim pretty easily from the three point line and beyond, and somewhat from the free throw, because I shoot using power from my legs. However, when I get really close to the basket, I fuck up horribly because I have to use my eyes and arms to aim. I just can't seem to get it in the basket when I'm close to it for some reason. Is there something I have to visualize or somewhere I have to look? It seems like I'm just shooting randomly when I'm close.
  18. Lakers

Lakers

Well, the only thing I can say is just keep practicing so you can develop some touch around the rim. I forgot what the drill is called but what you can do is stand somewhat underneath the rim with a ball. Then, go up with your left, rebound it then without dribbling go up with your right, repeat then go to the left and keep switching but try to do it quickly. It might be a bit difficult at first but that will definitely help you a bit with lay ups
  19. SRS

SRS

I think it's called a lay-up
  20. Lakers

Lakers

na lol the drill helps you with lay ups but it has a name the drill and I honestly cant remember it
  21. franky

franky
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

this isn't even an issue smogon can help you with. first of all, get access to a decent court. you simply can't dribble by yourself and expect to be good at basketball. you have to actually play several games when your around friends, if not then you have to sustain a daily routine if you truly want to get better. i'm talking about building a consistent shot form (doing 50-100 shots per day), working on your lay-up (both left and right). i personally worked on my off-hand the entire season and once you master it, you can play a lot better by shifting lanes, driving, and laying up with both hands. learn to develop some handles as well (not just going under the legs, spider, whatever the fuck people do these days). i'm talking about body control as you dribble up and down the court, and being able to switch hands without tumbling yourself. i think the most important aspect with getting better is actually playing an actual game. basically, find a court and get some friends to play with. if you can't, join a home league and play for a team there. the only way you'll get better is if you play.
    basic stuff. just stick to basic, making a lay-up means lifting up the appropriate foot. don't try to get fancy once you near the rim. usually aim for the square once you are going up. control your wrist and don't try to overpower. let it roll and hit the square. making a lay-up is normally difficult on a 5 man court, but on a break away that's where you should usually aim to score. you should try pressing full speed on the court and making a lay up from there. control your speed and set off the appropriate foot when making a lay up.
  22. Sy123

Sy123

You could work on your Hand-Eye coordination, by throwing a ball against a wall and catching it constantly, as fast as you can. Stand 1m from the wall
    You
  23. Scimjara

Scimjara Bert Stare

This man wrote you a survival god I hope your appreciative OP.
  24. Phizzlax

Phizzlax

Just wanted to disagree with everyone saying that "not having a hoop is a blessing".

I never learned how to dribble all that well, it's by a huge margin my greatest flaw. BUT, I practice my shot all the time, it's no coincidence that my shot selection is terrible but my FG% is very good. People are shocked at how affective I am for a person who only relies on speed to get around people. Ideally you should develop both skills, but if I were to choose one over the other I'd take shooting. Being confident in your shot is invaluable. That's just my personal experience though.

Also, unless you live in the middle of $@#*ing nowhere, I don't believe that there are no public hoops within reasonable biking distance of you. Churches, schools (even elementary schools) and parks usually have hoops. Beyond the obvious, sometimes random parking lots have hoops setup. Just have to keep your eyes open.
  25. Berserker

Berserker

Also, second question: The nearest hoops near me are only 9ft (wtf), and I only play on the 10ft ones every once in a while (I won't have access to them for 2 months or so). Is it as effective to practice using shorter hoops, or is it ineffective?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)