1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Help me with basketball

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by SRS, Jun 22, 2010.

1. coolking49

coolking49

Amazingly, i am in the same situation, yet I am still starting on my school team. I live in a gated community, and they wont let me put up a hoop, and they dont have one at the clubhouse.

If you have a hoop in school (like I do), every time you have an opportunity, shoot some hoops. Dribbling is extremely important, so practice that at home. Also, run. Alot. Stamina is key to playing well.

Also, if you have practice, dont slack off. Work your hardest, even if others dont.

Lastly, your playing style will change. If you shoot alot, that will change. be a passer, or a post up player. If you dribble well penetrate the lane then dish it out or lay it up. I find having two threats is vital to being a good player, other wise you must dominate your defender at one thing to win.

Goodluck
  2. Metalheadz

Metalheadz

What I do is that I take my basketball, lie on the floor, and shoot at the ceiling. Working on dribbling oughta be easier, since you can do it almost anywhere. Practice outside or in your garage is one of my favorite places. Do you have a hoop at school? You could probably stay after and practice alone there.

As for finding someone to play with you, instead of 1-on-1, you can have little contests involving dribbling and ball handling. Seeing who dribbles fancier is one kind of practice. :P

Have fun!
  3. jwoozie

jwoozie

The drill Lakers was referring to is called the Mikan Drill.
    And here's something most people overlook when they're shooting around: use this time as an opportunity to enhance your ball handling skills.
    Let's say you're working on your 3 point jumper, every time you shoot and chase down your rebound, work on a different dribble move as you get back to the line. Also, spin the ball to yourself at different angles to work on a quick release and proper footwork.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)