1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Help with a UU team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by IntoTheRain, Aug 9, 2013.

1. IntoTheRain

IntoTheRain

Just coming back to pokemon after several years. Haven't really played since advanced. About a month into it and on my second team, but I could use some help finishing this one up. The team is slowly creeping up to ~1700 as I have become better at piloting it, but there is definitely room for improvement.

NIDOKING (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Ice Beam

I've always wanted to try Nidoking, and it has always managed to make itself a nuisannce against my previous teams. Sadly I have found it to be incredibly random, being amazing against some teams and useless against others. Originally I had Stealth Rock over Focus Blast, but struggled to find time to use it. Focus Blast meanwhile has been fantastic against the super common Snorlax and Umbreon switch ins.

WEAVILE (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Ice Shard
    - Night Slash
    - Low Kick
    - Pursuit

Another pokemon I always wanted to try, and it has become my defacto revenge killer. Banded Weavile has fallen out of favor to SD Weavile from what I can see, and that has let me catch a few people off guard with how hard it hits. I often find myself missing Ice Punch, but can't find a slot to fit it.

MISMAGNIUS (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind

The final poke I wanted to fit in. The calm mind set has been So-So, allowing for a few easy setups sometimes, but making me wish for more coverage other times. 105 special defense and 3 immunities give it some nice chances to switch in, but I often wish it could hit somewhat harder.

HERACROSS (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 4 HP 255 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance

Lacking something with aromatherapy, I needed a pokemon to take on status effects. Heracross seemed like a good fit for the job. Sadly it has been another really random pokemom, dominating in some matches and barely being a speedbump in others. The shaky accuracy on all of its moves has burned me more than once, and I am open to replacing it with something more consistent.

SNORLAX (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SDef
    Careful Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
    - Body Slam
    - Crunch
    - Curse
    - Rest

While everyone was hyped up on Blissey during the advanced era, this was my go to special wall. Still love the set and haven't found a reason to change it. Tons of teams have no answer to a last poke Snorlax, and have managed to set up on several teams despite the insane number of strong fighters in the tier.

BLASTOISE (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Dragon Tail
    - Rapid Spin

Using Blastoise as my physical tank. The lack of quality rapid spinners in the tier highlights what I feel is one of the biggest problems of designing a tier list based on usage. I would like to change it out for something else, but there are enough spikers in the tier to keep it around.

The team has a few problems.

First of all is that, while it has plenty of midgame power, it lacks a real cleanup sweeper that can finish out the game. Nidoking blows big initial holes in teams, Heracross and Mismagnius have lots of easy switchins and great damage midgame, but nothing is really fast or powerful enough to come in late and clean it all up. I'll often have big leads on foes, but find myself unable to finish.

Second is that I don't have a great lead. Nidoking has been alright, but if it sacrifices any coverage for stealth rock, then it has been subpar. It also struggles being at middling speed, which can often force you to guess about what kind of speed EVs they have on their lead.

Third is the complete lack of support. No stealth rocks, or other entry hazards. No status effects except off scald and body slam, both of which are inconsistent. In longer games, this has proven costly.

I am interested in any suggestions or help.
  2. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

Hey, welcome back to competitive Pokemon! And also a warm welcome to UU as well; I hope you enjoy your time here.

This team needs a more defined playstyle and win condition, right now this team kind of seems like it's all over the place. I'll get into detail about what I mean when I describe the changes you should make.

First and foremost, Weavile should be running a Swords Dance set and Heracross should be running a Choice Scarf set. I understand that making these changes would make the two Pokemon seem extremely standard, but I honestly think it will benefit your team. Scarf Heracross will solve your "cleaning late game" problem quite nicely, and Heracross really just doesn't have the speed it needs to effectively run Swords Dance. Weavile is not a very effective Choice Band user because it lacks the bulk and the defensive typing to properly stay in on walls, and there are plenty of physical walls that can stomach hits from a choice locked Weavile. Weavile forces so many switches in this metagame that it's honestly really easy to set up with him, and you could even run Focus Sash Weavile considering that you have a spinner.

Now, you have a powerful setup sweeper and revenge killer/late-game cleaner, which gives your team a lot more focus. Weavile will help eliminate Flying and Psychic types that will stop Heracross from moxie sweeping, giving your team really nice synergy.

Next up, you need a way to properly shut down revenge killers and powerful fighting types. Switch Mismagius to an Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus, which will effectively shut down common scarfers like Mienshao and Heracross thanks to Trick Room.

If you end up switching to Moxie Heracross as suggested, you may want to run Umbreon instead of Snorlax. Umbreon has Heal Bell which will make your team less vulnerable to statuses. It also has Wish to heal your teammates, and it also pack an offensive punch thanks to Foul Play. Curse Snorlax is a really great set, but it isn't as needed on this team because you already have plenty of boosting Pokemon.

This team reaaaallly needs hazards. You have so many offensive sweepers, and turning 2HKOs and OHKOs will be infinitely beneficial to your team. I recommend a simple change, turn Nidoking into Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen has a lot more natural bulk than Nidoking, which will allow you to run Stealth Rocks without running into as many problems.

One final thing, run Roar on Blastoise instead of Dragon Tail so substitute sweepers can't set up on you.

That's it from me! Good luck, and since I suggested so many sets, I typed them all out right here.

Heracross (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Megahorn
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Sleep Talk

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Ice Shard
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Punch
    - Night Slash

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Mummy
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Quiet Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Trick Room
    - HP Fighting
    - Shadow Ball

Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 156 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam/Focus Blast/Sludge Wave
    - Stealth Rock

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)