1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Help with becoming Admin on my new server in the making?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Professor Xerilia, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Professor Xerilia

Professor Xerilia

Sorry..ima little nervous about posting. I got a strange feeling that this post is going to screw up ;/

Anyway..

I am in the process on making my own Pokemon Showdown server (well duh), but after I set up the basic stuff I tried to make myself admin (as you do). I looked over GitHub and it seemed a very simple process. I went to the config folder, created a text file, used some online instructions to make it CSV, but it still came out as .txt . I tried it again on Excel, it came out as CSV but somehow didn't process it and came with several warning messages. I have used several online procedures, and admins and friends for help, but something is still going on.

If someone would be so kind to explain the Admin creating process in detail step by step. Hopefully, I can finish it soon.

If I need to add more information such as screen shots I will.

If this or a similar question as been previously asked, please link me and close this or delete it.. Thank you.
  2. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

What OS are you using?

On Windows 7 you go into Organize -> Folder Options -> View, and in the advanced settings box, there's a checkbox for "Hide extensions for known file types". Uncheck it, and you'll be able to see the real extensions and can remove the '.txt' part.

In XP Folder Options is in Tools, but everything else should be the same.

Excel actually displays the CSV as a spreadsheet, which is intentional. Put your name into the first column and ~ into the second column.
  3. Professor Xerilia

Professor Xerilia

I have done specified, but I still remain a simple registered user. Could it be possible for it to be IP address related? And what exactly is "port forwarding"? There is a mention about it in GitHub..

Sorry about all these questions. I just really like Showdown and wanted to become a part of it by doing this.
  4. MJB

MJB Sup Peeps
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnus

Zarel's instructions were accurate, you have doen something wrong.

Google is your friend, there are literally thousands of guides on the web about port forwarding.
  5. Professor Xerilia

Professor Xerilia

Hey again. Sorry, I have appeared to have located the problem to be within Excel itself, apparently it needs it's office key or something. However, for several reasons, I can fix this problem. Is there any other way to create a .csv file? so far any other methods have been unsuccessful.

Sorry again, and thank you.
  6. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

Yes. Create a Notepad document (TextEdit if you're on a Mac) with the following line in it:
    Your Pokemon Showdown username here; ~
    Save it as usergroups. Change the extension from txt or rtf to csv. If this doesn't work, try changing the semicolon to a comma.

As an alternative option, edit the config file to give the normal user group root permissions (root: true), and boot up your server. Don't forget to put a comma at the end of the line before "root: true". Promote yourself to admin. Take away the root priviledges by deleting "root: true" and the comma you put in earlier. You're done! The usergroups.csv file will be automatically created, and you'll be an admin on your server.

I hope this helps you.
  7. Skyshayde

Skyshayde

One thing that tripped me up was that there is no space between the name, comma, and rank. the full line would be for example,

skyshayde,~
  8. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

So that's why it didn't work the first time.
  9. Exadril

Exadril

All i need to do is no how to setup a admin account on my showdown server
  10. Trickster

Trickster El Psy Congroo
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Why did you revive a thread from over a year ago? You've posted this same question in two other places. At any rate, you need to create a file called usergroups.csv in the config folder and in it write yourusername,~
    Crestfall likes this.
  11. Exadril

Exadril

Yes i am very sorry about that my friend i did not mean any harm sorry about that i was just trying find help about this you can remove that other thread bro sorry
  12. Exadril

Exadril

Trickster can you tell me can i use notepad to do this thow i did create a file called usergroups.csv and init i put Exadril,~ but it did not give me authority by any chance i used riched text document is it allowed and also what is the computer command to refresh my server i tryed ctrl F12 im unsure ?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  13. Trickster

Trickster El Psy Congroo
    is a Battle Server Moderator

You can use notepad, just change the file extension to CSV instead of txt after saving.
  14. Exadril

Exadril

look i did this but still its not allowing me access to admin maybe by of chance i have to connect to my server useing localhost:8000 maybe is this the problem
  15. Ninety_Nine

Ninety_Nine

There is already a file called usergroups.csv right click it and 'open with' notepad then change yourself to admin and then save. it should change back to .csv and you should be admin
  16. Exadril

Exadril

okey i dont really carer about admin right now anyway how do i get my server registered its been activated for 37 hours and 34 minutes without 1 drop out whats nex
  17. Slayer95

Slayer95 Wi-Fi Whitelisted
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderator

Closing after 5 months of no reply from OP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)