Hen's Digital Art

Welcome to my art thread ~:>
(note: I use this [ ~:> ] as my signature on art that I have provided for websites when my normal signature of *Hen* would get in the way, see if you can find it :) )

Newer art:

Click thumbnails to view the full image.

Mario:

I submitted this to a contest on Nsider (forums.nintendo.com). It actually took first place and was featured in Nintendo Power. :D I loved drawing this.

Pokemon:

A project I'm working on for mingot... here is the first of 3 'buttons' I'm making.

I'm finally adding to the individual pokemon pics I started.. (see vaporeon/bulbasaur) You guys are welcome to use these in your wifi trade threads if you like. I would appreciate credit being noted.

This was made for another pokemon forum's 404 pages.

This started off just as a silly sketch. I didn't really intend
on having this as part of my main gallery but so many people
liked it I never tossed it to my 'scraps' section. I hope you enjoy it.

Whenever I see a female wobbuffet I imagine her with her
little arm appendages up in the air, a purse on her arm, shopping.

Drawn for a friend of mine who is a squirtle fan... and his gf
who is a snorunt fan. Snorunt is pink because I thought the
gf would prefer it that way :)

What can I say, I'm a sucker for cute little squirrels.

I think this is the first digital art I've ever made of a
pokemon. Being the bird fan that I am I chose piplup
for my starter. Pokemon Diamond is the first pokemon
game I've actually played all the way through as well.

A lame vaporeon..

Aaaand a toothless bulbasaur. Lol. (edit: toothless fixed :P)

Harry Potter:

I can only imagine the thoughts that went through Hedwig's head when she saw Hagrid enter the shop to buy her.

The cat is now out of the bag.

Animal Crossing:

Made for animalxing.com

Chicky & Rew comic

Character Profiles:
Chicky, Rew, Hen, Alex

Comics:

1: Bandaids

2: Saturday Outing

3: Icky

4: Otter Pop

5: Haircut

You'll find my complete and updated gallery at my deviantArt page: Henhenhen

Tools of the trade:
  • Photoshop CS3
  • old wacom graphire tablet

Wow, slow moving forum!

Ah well, such is to be expected.

Thank you :)

OH! And thanks for the heads up on the snorunt pic not working. I fixed it. :)

EDIT: WOW. Most of my images were not linked properly. Go ahead and check em out :)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Piplup is my favorite. Very good use of color and shading with the oil-on-canvas look. Massive "cute factor" on all these pics. I'm not into cute pokemon, but you do them very well.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Actually, I think you SHOULD draw cute pokemon, because you are so good at it. When I use the term "cute", I don't mean it in a pejorative sense. As an artist, and a cartoon artist on top of that, I can appreciate the difficulty of pulling off "cute". You're better at it than I am. Probably because you like it, and I don't. Artists tend to be good at the things they like. Of course, then artists go get a "real" art job, and find themselves doing commission pieces for some rich asshole who wants something to match his couch -- but I digress...

Anyway, if I wanted to see you do something other than purely cute pokemon, which ones would fit your style? Let's see....

The real mean Pokemon should probably be eliminated. For example, I can't see you doing a Gliscor or Drapion. Of course, if you did it and it was good, it would demonstrate a hella artistic range -- but I wouldn't expect that to be a natural fit for you, based on what you have posted here (which isn't too many, admittedly).

If you can do "cute" well, you can probably do "cool" well. IMO, examples of cool pokemon are Flygon, Gallade, and Lucario. There's more, but those are three off the top of my head. All three are serious, but not bloodthirsty. I could see you doing those. You can also do them cute as hell, so that's the challenge. To be "cool", the response of the audience can't be "Awww.....". Nor can it be, "Oh shit, I'm scared...." "Cool" is somewhere in between those two.

I think you could do "cool" very well.

*chuckles*

I see. Gallade is actually a pokemon I've had on my 'man that would be a cool pokey to draw' list for quite a while. I love how diverse his movepool is. I'm quite attached to him.

I've also considered drawing Salamence. I think what's prevented me from drawing either (other than you know, a busy life) would be not sure how to pose them and make it look believable. I'll never know until I try tho!

Thank you. Have you checked out my deviantArt page? I limited the images posted her strictly to pokemon. Perhaps I should share others?

It would be cool if Smogon had a gallery of art submitted by it's members for each pokemon. You know, have a page for each and every pokemon and then display all of the art submitted by members- giving them credit of course. I don't know who's in charge here or even if they'd like the idea. Hm. Just me posting some thoughts. :)

I think it would be awesome to be part of the ones contributing to that.

Thank ya, Mekkah :)

I have these pokemon to add:

and

Both were drawn for Majesty. He chose the poses 'n such.

that ledian is pretty awesome
^_^ Thank ya vespa

I made an avatar of a happy lil' turtwig:

It's kindof a quickie. Anyone is welcome to use it providing it retains my 'signature' (the ~:> face)

I'd like to figure out how to emulate more natural media using photoshop. Anyone have some pointers?

I tried a bunch of new things with this one. Peh. I don't know if the texture made it or ruined it.

Feedback appreciated. :)

DougJustDoug

I think you kicked it up a notch with that Vappy pic. The color work is very good. I like that background texture you used. It gives it an oil-on-canvas feel. With all the rich color blending you did on the ocean, I think it adds a lot to the overall effect. Good job!

Thank you, DJD :) I spent a chunk of time on it. I wish the person who requested it liked it more than they do. Eh. Can't please 'em all!

Here's another vaporeon for you guys :)

vespa, vaporeons can turn their head that far around.

Typhlosion Mark, thanks!

I'm now working on bulbasaur. Just a sketch so far. I'm happy with it at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)