Heracross (Analysis)

It's because otherwise the extra HP EV would be shifted into either attack or speed and neither does anything for Heracross due to speed already being at its optimum area and an extra Attack point causing Heracross to have an odd attack stat. This then means that it will not get the benefit from the 1 extra Attack unless it gets +2, +4, or +6. However if the 4 EVs are shifted into HP it means Heracross will gain the benefit of an odd numbered HP thus taking less hazard damage as a percent.
Well, the Attack thing is silly. When you're at an odd stat number, it's good to go for an even number because then you get an extra point. But going from an even to an odd number doesn't make you "lose" the extra point you gained. It just gives you the regular amount, which is one point. Anything to do with free points only applies when going odd to even, not both ways.

As for the HP thing, it's just showing my point that Leftovers numbers aren't important (in fact, every Pokemon who doesn't 4x resist SR takes more damage from it on their Leftovers numbers).

Majora_younglink said:
The attack points might be negligible on a regular basis but so is Excadrill. There is almost no situation at all where an Excadrill will want to switch in on Heracross and much less the Bulk Up set. It's just the overall fact that Heracross scares out Excadrill with the threat of high powered moves and that fact that any hazard makes Life Orb Excadrill 2HKO anyways makes the whole EV set just not as good as the one listed.
Well, the only time that the Excadrill thing would happen is when your team's Excadrill check/counter dies, and you're relying on Heracross to check it. And when your opponent has no hazards down.

Now, Heracross shouldn't be your only answer to Excadrill, and you should preserve your prime counter/check anyway.
But while that situation is quite unlikely, it is not to the degree which you imply, and while the spread is very situational, it is hardly inferior.

Majora_younglink said:
We good now?
We are now.
You see, at first I was getting getting indignant, because I believed that you thought the spread to be bad. However, now I realize that you're not saying it's bad, but that it's really unnecessary given the slim (pardon the pun) chances of its advantage ever arising. It's not just a matter of quality, it's a matter of practicality as well, and the current spread is much better in that regard.

So yes, I understand your reasons now (I think, let me know if I missed them again), and they make sense to me. We're all good.

How about a Swords Dance set? I have used Heracross very well with a Swords Dance, Megahorn, Close Combat, and Stone Edge set. If you give him Jolly Nature, he can outspeed some of the pesky Flying types such as Skarmory or Togekiss that have caused him problems in the past.

Flame Orb honestly has less utility outside of that. It's difficult to identify Trick users, Heracross will take more damage from a burn substantially, and, again, since Heracross will only be staying in for a few turns, Toxic Orb is substantially better due to a decreased damage range. QC officially said "no" to it, anyways.
and to add on, what kind of idiot would trick a heracross, it can go well with any orb, any choice item bar spec which no one tricks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)