1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Heracross and 5 Friends

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Subject 18, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Subject 18

Subject 18 Peace.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

I've made this team about a month ago and have had some success laddering on PS. I also made an RMT and used those suggestion and made some changes on my own. I'm currently sitting at 1473 points using this team. I'm still improving as a player so I'm happy with my progress.

TEAM PREVIEW

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Team Analysis

[​IMG]

KD (Deoxys-Defense) @ Fire Gem
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Psycho Boost
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Deoxys's job is this team is fairly simple I usually lead with it get Hazards cripple Forretress, Tentacruel, Ferrothorn and kill Scizor since I'm faster. I can even live any one hit from Terrakion and OHKO or bring it to its Sash with a Psycho Boost. The 188 speed out speeds any Tentacruel barring it being offensive one. I changed the set from a Standard Deo-D with Night Shade to this for a bit of a surprise to my opponent that may give me the a good advantage to have.

[​IMG]

Hephaestus (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock

I chose Heatran because of its synergy with Heracross and is a part of my core along with Azumarill. I get a Flash Fire boost from fire attacks and can take Flying attacks that send Heracross running in fear. The set is a standard Air Balloon set. I can check Gliscor going for an Earthquake assuming my Air Balloon is intact and scare it out with an HP Ice.

[​IMG]

Dexter (Heracross) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Sleep Talk

Heracross is my main Physical sweeper. Now with Big Bird (Tornadus-T) gone its just one its biggest threats gone I don't have to worry about. To pull off a sweep I just need to kill anything thats faster and scarfed since most things can kill it of with a powerful move. I use Sleep Talk over Night Slash since I can take a Sleep Talk and still be able to use Heracross and not have it being dead weight.

[​IMG]

PikaBlue (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Huge Power
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 30 SAtk
    - Superpower
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Aqua Jet

Choice Band Azumarill. I recently just added this member in place of Swampert who replace Specs Keldeo since I need something that was physical instead of having just Heracross as my sole physical Poke. Since I wasnt having much success with Swampert I turned to Azumarill who also provided some priority that I desperately needed since I was having tons of issues with Sash Alakazam

[​IMG]

Lt. LaGuerta (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Disable

My spin Blocker. Fairly straight forward as to why I chose it. I would hate to lose my hazards that Deoxys had set up. I chose the standard SubDisable Gengar since its probably the best spin blocker in OU right now but is unbelievably frail. I could switch it to Destiny Bond Gengar to be able to take down most spinner as it dies.

[​IMG]

Sgt. Doakes (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Rock Polish
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

And last but not least Sgt. Doakes, my late game cleaner. LO Sheer Force hits like a truck, after a setting up a Rock Polish I often have the game sealed as long as I hit Focus Miss when I need to (really has not been kind to me at all lately). I went with a RP set instead of the 4 attacks set since it lacks speed meaning and I now realize my team is somewhat slow.

Final Words

I have somewhat pinpointed some of the issues I've had those include: hazards, lack of speed, Sash Alakazam, Salamence in general and there are probably more but I havent realized it yet. I'm thinking of making the team more balanced that HO but I don't know yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Importable
    Show Hide
    KD (Deoxys-Defense) @ Fire Gem
    EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Psycho Boost
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Hephaestus (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock

Dexter (Heracross) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Sleep Talk

Tsunami (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Huge Power
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 30 SAtk
    - Superpower
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Aqua Jet

Lt. LaGuerta (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Disable

Sgt. Doakes (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Rock Polish
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

-BlackRussian
  2. morningsun

morningsun

Hey there. I like the idea you have going there. However, I feel that Azumaril is somewhat outclassed in the OU tier. You may want to consider Shell Smash Cloyster in its place. It would give you a physical sweeper to help your Landorus out and it would also allow you to deal with mence better. It's multi-hit moves would break through a sash and, if you want, you could even give it Rapid Spin to get rid of hazards. I don't advise the latter. Instead, I think you should use Magic Coat and Night Shade instead of the attacking moves on your Deoxys-D.
  3. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Hey man. I've seen you around the forums so why not rate your team? XD

I think HP Fire DeoD is useless when Heatran is its #1 counter (assuming you don't switch into a Superpower, as it walls most Zor's). I'd use the Thunder Wave DeoD spread instead. It's a great means of reducing the speed tiers of Pokemon like Scarf Keldeo or Venusaur so Hera can clean.

DeoD (open)

DeoD @ Mental Herb
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 H[ / 64 SDef / 192 Spe
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes

I would use Sash Gar with Destiny Bond over Substitute and Taunt over Disable. It's an overall better set for DeoD.

I'm kinda feeling lazy atm so I'll rate later if I feel you need more changes but this should pull you through. GL
  4. Subject 18

Subject 18 Peace.

I tried this and it worked fine until. My entire team got walled by Cresselia. So I need a Stall/Wall Breaker. What do you think?
  5. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Taunt Gengar should block Cress walling, and you can Destiny Bond it with Gar.

Maybe put specs on Heatran if you need a wallbreaker and get rid of rocks (as DeoD already has rocks). Also, Cress is kind've rare.
  6. Subject 18

Subject 18 Peace.

Specs Heatran isnt really helping me all that much. I'm still getting walled. I think I'm just going to scrap the team and start over.
  7. Hypercut

Hypercut

Hello Blackrussian.

Nice and very solid team here! There's not much to say. Now very few people use weatherless, around I see more rain and sand, then I congratulate you for thinking differently!
    Now for the team. I think that Deoxys-D should be used in a different way, Heatran provide to kill Steel type Pokèmon (especially Scizor), and I don't think that you need a lot Hp fire on Deoxys, when you can point to give Taunt on him, it's fast enough to use it against the setter of Stealth rock, Spikes or Toxic spikes, which can give you trouble, especially because 4/6 of the team is weak hazard. So Taunt> Hidden Power Fire, and Magic Coat> Psycho Boost that can be useful against other Deoxys in order to sending back them Taunt and Hazard. I also suggest to change Deoxys item and give the Red card, in order to force opponent's Pokèmon switch when he hit you (obviously is mono-use), is especially useful if your opponent has a statupped Pokèmon. The spread I suggest you give is exactly 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def.

Finally, i suggest this spread on Landorus: 70 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe. With 188 Spe, after a Rock Polish, you outspeed Timid Venusaur under Sun, and consequently the whole metagame.

Tl;Dr

Show Hide
    Deoxys-D @ Red Card | Pressure
    Timid Nature | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Stealth Rock / Spikes / Magic Coat / Taunt

Landorus @ Life Orb | Sheer Force
    Modest Nature | 70 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
    Rock Polish / Earth Power / Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]

Good Luck!
  8. MCBarrett

MCBarrett i love it when you call me big hoppa

Hey BlackRussian!

I remember seeing this team in the better battlers project thread and I gave you some pointers there so I thought might as well help out here too.

Anyways, as you said cresselia is going to be extremely annoying for your team as it is the best counter to sheer force landorus in the game. On top of that your best damage output on a single attack is still only doing 54-64% that being megahorn from heracross.

Therefore, I think the best way to deal with cresselia, and other annoying walls, would be to change heatran to the specially defensive set with toxic and roar. This doesnt hurt you offensively either because landorus already has earth power and hp ice. Between deoxys-d, a spin blocker in gengar, and roar, you should be able to wear down these threats no problem.

To help maximize this, I think using taunt on gengar to prevent cresselia from healing or using rest would be a great idea. It would also keep your opponent from laying down too many hazards as you lack a spinner.

My final suggestion would be to switch azumarill to feraligatr. This is a very minor change but after a swords dance feraligatr has higher attack even before factoring in life orb, and you have the ability to switch your moves whereas azumarill is locked in. this is really up to personal preference but being able to change moves may allow you to put a greater dent in the opposition before having to switch out.

Here are the sets, hope they helped! Let me know how it works
    Show Hide
    Heatran @ air balloon/leftovers
    Calm nature
    248hp/252spdef/8spd
    Lava plume
    Toxic
    Protect/substitute
    Roar

Feraligatr @ life orb
    Adamant nature
    252att/252spe/4hp
    Swords dance
    Aqua jet
    Waterfall
    Return/crunch

For gengar just switch either focus blast or disable for taunt

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)