1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Heracross based team?

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by TehDestroyer, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TehDestroyer

TehDestroyer

Gorebyss @ White Herb
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Swift Swim
    252 HP/24 SpD/232 Spe
    Moveset:
    -Shell Smash
    -Baton Pass
    -Surf
    -Substitute

Gorebyss serves only to shell smash and baton pass to Heracross. For the most part, people anticipate this move so I ended up using surf in an attempt to damage a pokemon. Usually, later in the battle, Gorebyss serves as a sacrifice to let another pokemon enter without tanking a hit. I often try to set up a substitute before baton passing to avoid taking damage on the baton pass recipient, but it doesn't always work out. As much as I like shell smash-baton pass, I feel like Gorebyss is the pokemon that needs to be most replaced.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    Nature: Calm
    252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
    Moveset:
    -Wish
    -Foul Play
    -Yawn
    -Protect

Umbreon is Heracross' wish support. Usually when Heracross takes half his health's worth of damage, I switch Umbreon in and use Yawn. Using yawn either puts the enemy to sleep or forces a switch out which gives me enough time to use Wish and switch out to Heracross. If both of my attackers are fainted already, I usually use yawn, then protect and then foul play. Umbreon is my team's cleric and also can tank a lot of attacks which is really helpful when he is the last pokemon on my team.

Heracross @ Choice Band
    Ability: Moxie
    Nature: Adament
    252 Atk/252 Spe
    Moveset:
    -Megahorn
    -Close combat
    -Stone edge
    -Night Slash

Heracross is the crux of this team. His 2 STAB attacks allow me to sweep most pokemon, while stone edge serves as a check against a lot of the pokemon that are dangerous to my team. I usually use Gorebyss + baton pass to switch into Heracross, or send him in after another pokemon has fainted. I try not to send him in while my opponent has a turn to attack because Heracross is not the best at tanking STAB attacks. I replaced sleep talk with night slash, though i don't really feel like there is a real difference. Not sure if i should use choice band or choice scarf, but my whole team is set up around letting heracross and gorebyss setup for the smashpass + sweep.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Ability: Cursed Body
    Nature: Bold
    248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
    Moveset:
    -Scald
    -Toxic
    -Recover
    -Taunt

jellicent is the real water pokemon. Fire is a big threat to Heracross and there is no way Gorebyss can handle any type of pokemon really So Jellicent with Scald really helps in those situations. I put taunt on him to check any team that requires a lot of setup, and Toxic is obviously there to wittle away some health on my opponent. When I force out a switch I tend to use recover to keep Jellicent alive a lot longer. Jellicent is also useful to send out to disable a move that a setup blocker has, allowing me to smash pass a lot easier

Espeon @ Light Clay
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Nature: Timid
    252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
    Moveset:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Stored Power
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)

Espeon serves as a defensive pokemon that sets up dual screens. Espeon is my starter now and I lead with the dual screens. If espeon hasn't fainted by the time the screens are setup, I usually switch out to gorebyss for the smashpass and save espeon for the when my heracross faints and i need to resetup screens. I also use stored power + smash pass to psychic sweep pokemon if my Espeon survives long enough. Hidden power is there to cover for any weaknesses that espeon may have. Espeon also serves to trick my opponents for they often think he is a baton passer and end up using their setup blocker, which allows me to use thundurus/another pokemon to remove the threat.

Thundurus-T @ Leftovers
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Nature: Modest
    252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Moveset:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch / Agility
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Focus Blast

Thundurus-T is my dedicated special attacker and Gorebyss defender. He is resistant to electric attacks which is a great help on a team with two water pokemon. His resistance to grass pokemon is quite welcome for the same reason. Thundurus-T is mainly used to destroy any setup blockers so that I can setup the smashpass to Heracross. His resistance to ground moves is a great improvement over my Elektavire. If my Heracross faints, Thundurus acts as a secondary sweeper that becomes super effective with smashpass. I changed the life orb to leftovers so he would be able to survive longer.

please do help me improve this team, i just really want to have a strong team that isnt reliant on baton pass but can use it if available. I am open to removing gorebyss/ any other pokemon besides heracross

thanks,
    tehdestroyer
  2. TehDestroyer

TehDestroyer

bump

yeah bumping this thread now

:)
  3. Kevbotomy

Kevbotomy

Hey, TehDestroyer

I like the idea of a heracross-centred team, but think there are several ways to improve yours.

I have had success with several different smashpass teams, as they prove to be extremely powerful. The correct support and set up can yeild pokemon with stats ranging from 1200 up to over 2000 consistently. The most necessary partner to gorebyss is espeon. Espeon's magic bounce ability protects his side of the field from all status, and his high speed lets him set up dual screens with ease. The screens double the both defence stats of whatever pokemon is out, which is great news for heracross, and the rest of your team. Espeon's fragility sometimes leaves him Koed after his screens are set up, but if he survives to be switched out, is a deadly sweeper with smashpass/stored power. Hidden power fighting is for coverage. Here is my recommended espeon moveset:

Espeon @ Light Clay
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Nature: Timid
    252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
    Moveset:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Stored Power
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)

I see you are using Smogon's standard OU gorebyss moveset, which is perfect for use with espeon. However, including espeon would require you to replace a pokemon. For this, I would take off spiritomb. Spiritomb offers redundant typing, and his main purpose is to use attacks that espeon could reflect when used by the opponent. Both can, in a way, spread status.

With both gorebyss and jellicent, electric types such as rotom-w and thundurus-t are big threats to your team, as are grass types like breloom and celebi. You also don't have a dedicated special attacker. To cover your weaknesses best i recommend changing electivire to thundurus-t. This monster takes no damage from either ground or electric attacks, and carries a convenient resistance to grass. Thundurus-T is a great recipient of shell smash, and also resists heracross's flying weakness. Here is a set i think would be effective:

Thundurus-T @ Life Orb
    Ability- Volt Absorb
    Nature- Modest/Timid
    252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch / Agility
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Focus Blast

The choice of nature depends on preference for speed or power, while the choice of volt switch or agility is based on how much you are using smashpass.

I also notice you forgot to include the abilities of your pokemon in the decriptions. This will need to be updated, but i will include my recommendations:
    Gorebyss- Swift Swim: Takes advantage of the very common rain teams to double it's speed.
    Umbreon- Synchronize: Standard set
    Heracross- Moxie: After a shell smash, successive moxie boosts will make heracross nearly unstoppable. Guts would severely lower heracross' resiliency, as it would need to be equipped with a flame orb.
    Jellicent- Cursed Body: Water absorb is good on jellicent, but your team does not draw many water attacks; hence i recommend cursed body to disable one of your opponent's moves.

The only other thing i would change is blizzard on jellicent. Taunt is a much better use of jellicent's defensively-oriented moveslot. Taunt prevents opponent setup, and makes jellicent much harder to take down. If you feel the ice move is necessary, then I would replace blizzard with ice beam.

I dont know how much your team struggles with entry hazards, but a rapid spinner is always worth considering. Play with your team and make adjustments to what you have trouble with. This is a great team, and i wish you luck in your future battles.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)