UU Heracross

Overview
########

Heracross has outstanding power due to its high base Attack, great offensive typing, and access to high-powered STAB moves and coverage options. Its two abilities, Guts and Moxie, both let it perform unique roles in the metagame. Moreover, Heracross has usable bulk with a set of resistances that allows it to check certain Pokemon such as Krookodile. Heracross's base Speed allows it to outspeed all relevant walls but leaves it prone to being revenge killed by the plethora of faster offensive Pokemon, especially because it has no usable priority. Additionally, its typing makes makes it difficult to deal with the bulky Fairy- and Flying-types of the UnderUsed tier.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Stone Edge / Earthquake
ability: Guts
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========

Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's two best STAB moves, each with a Base Power of 120. Knock Off hits Flying- and Poison-types neutrally and Ghost-types super effectively, and it also cripples some switch-ins that Heracross cannot immediately handle. Stone Edge hits Flying-types super effectively, although most outspeed Heracross, so it must hit them on the switch. Earthquake hits Poison-types super effectively and certain other Pokemon such as defensive Arcanine more reliably than Stone Edge does. Pursuit can be used to trap Ghost- and Psychic-types and get useful chip damage on Pokemon that frequently switch out of Heracross. Sleep Talk can be used to absorb sleep-inducing moves from Pokemon such as Roserade, and Heracross can proceed to fire off Guts-boosted attacks against unsuspecting foes.

Set Details
========

Choice Band takes advantage of Heracross's enormous power and greatly limits its switch-ins to a select few physically defensive Pokemon. Guts takes advantage of status inflicted by moves such as Toxic and Scald to add even more to Heracross's power. Heracross's Attack and Speed are maximized to allow it to hit as hard and as fast as possible. An Adamant nature makes Heracross noticeably more powerful, giving Heracross a chance to 2HKO standard Florges after Stealth Rock damage. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed certain offensive Pokemon, such as Timid Chandelure and Adamant Lucario. A bulkier spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used to better complement Heracross's natural bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow.

Usage Tips
========

Heracross can easily be switched into common users of Scald and Toxic, such as Suicune and Blissey, respectively, to absorb status and get a huge power boost with Guts. Use Knock Off to remove Leftovers and Eviolite from Pokemon such as Florges and Gligar early in the game so that Heracross can break through them more easily later in the battle. Predict switches into Flying- and Poison-types early on and use the appropriate coverage move to allow Heracross to spam its STAB moves easily once they have been removed.

Team Options
========

Heracross needs teammates that check Fairy- and Flying-types. As with all offensive Pokemon, entry hazards are essential in order for Heracross to net certain KOs and pressure the opposing team. Mega Aggron and Forretress can switch into many of Heracross's checks and set up Stealth Rock, making them great partners on more balanced teams. Heracross should also be used with faster teammates that appreciate its ability to soften up physical walls. Examples of these are Choice Scarf Infernape and Mega Aerodactyl, both of which can clean up opposing teams once Heracross has broken through bulkier foes.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 4: Megahorn / Facade
item: Leftovers / Toxic Orb

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Heracross's Attack to sky-high levels and allows Heracross to dismantle slower teams. Close Combat is Heracross's most powerful and reliable STAB move, KOing many of the tier's Pokemon at +2. Knock Off provides neutral coverage on Poison- and Flying-types and super effective coverage on Ghost-types and also removes Eviolites and Leftovers from defensive targets. Facade can be used over Megahorn in conjunction with Toxic Orb to take advantage of Heracross's ability, Guts, and to hit Fairy- and Poison-types for massive damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment is placed into Attack and Speed to allow Heracross to hit as hard and as fast as possible. An Adamant nature gives Heracross significantly more power and allows it to KO defensive Aromatisse with no prior damage and defensive Granbull after Stealth Rock damage with a +2 Guts-boosted Facade. A Jolly nature can be used instead in order for Heracross to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Chandelure and Adamant Lucario. Guts is the preferred ability for Heracross to take advantage of status moves such as Scald and Toxic, and Heracross is too slow to benefit from Moxie anyway.

Leftovers increases Heracross's longevity and allows it to set up more comfortably against certain defensive Pokemon, including Gligar and Vaporeon. Toxic Orb can be used to increase Heracross's immediate power and reliably boost Facade, but it heavily takes away from Heracross's longevity. Toxic Orb variants can opt to run a fourth attacking move over Swords Dance if the immediate power and coverage of both Megahorn and Facade is desired. An alternate EV spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe can be used on the Leftovers variant to set up more easily in the face of passive Pokemon and potentially avoid being revenge killed by Pokemon such as Mienshao. The Speed EVs on this spread allow Heracross to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow.

Usage Tips
========

Use Heracross's ability to force out Pokemon such as Snorlax and Umbreon to set up easily against slower teams. However, it is fruitless to set up during battles against more offensive teams, as Heracross should simply go for attacks. Heracross's mediocre Speed usually prevents it from sweeping entire teams. Instead, Swords Dance Heracross should be used to break down walls to support its teammates. Use Volt Switch or U-turn support to bring in Heracross and activate its Toxic Orb safely, if running the item.

Team Options
========

Heracross should be paired with Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Mienshao or Choice Scarf Infernape, which take advantage of Heracross luring in and breaking down physical walls. Teammates that check the Flying- and Fairy-types that often switch into Heracross are necessary, especially for the Leftovers variant. Heracross appreciates paralysis support from Pokemon such as Stun Spore Whimsicott, which lures the Flying-types that Heracross commonly struggles with.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
ability: Moxie / Guts
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's two most powerful STAB moves. Knock Off provides coverage on Flying-, Poison-, and Ghost-types and also cripples Pokemon that rely on items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. Stone Edge hits Flying- and Fire-types, such as Crobat and Arcanine, respectively, for super effective damage. Earthquake can be used over Stone Edge for super effective coverage on many Poison-types, such as Nidoqueen, and to serve as a more reliable way to hit Fire-type Pokemon.

Set Details
========

252 EVs are placed into Speed with a Jolly nature and a Choice Scarf to allow Heracross to outspeed the entire unboosted tier. 252 EVs in Attack allow Heracross to hit as hard as possible. Moxie is used as Heracross's ability to allow it to accumulate boosts after revenge kills and potentially snowball into a late-game sweeper. Guts can be used instead to allow Heracross to safely switch into moves such as Scald and Toxic and to avoid being completely crippled by burns.

Usage Tips
========

Use Choice Scarf Heracross as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner after the appropriate walls have been weakened or eliminated. Use Knock Off to remove items from defensive walls such as Florges and Hippowdon early in the game. If Moxie is the chosen ability, avoid letting Heracross get inflicted by status, as it removes the possibility of sweeping. Alternatively, Heracross with Guts should primarily act as a revenge killer and status absorber instead of a sweeper. Use Close Combat sparingly, especially against Pokemon with Pressure, as its limited PP should be conserved until late-game.

Team Options
========

Heracross needs teammates to break down opposing physical walls, especially Fairy-types. Nidoqueen can check many of Heracross's switch-ins and heavily pressure physical walls. Heracross also needs teammates that can handle opposing Choice Scarf users, most of which are faster than Heracross. Spikes support from Pokemon such as Roserade makes it much more difficult for defensive Pokemon to consistently switch into Heracross, especially after their items have been removed with Knock Off.

Other Options
########

Heracross can use Bulk Up to complement its respectable natural bulk, though Swords Dance is generally the preferred boosting option. Substitute is an option to deter revenge killing and ease prediction, but Heracross must be wary of Infiltrator Crobat. Heracross can run an Endure + Salac Berry set with Reversal and Moxie to act as a late-game sweeper after priority users and faster Choice Scarf Pokemon have been removed. Finally, a RestTalk set with Life Orb can be used to take advantage of Guts and keep Heracross healthy.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types**: Crobat can switch into any move other than Stone Edge or a Guts-boosted Facade and easily KO Heracross. Physically defensive Salamence can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross and can even survive a +2 Guts-boosted Facade after Intimidate. Physically defensive Gligar can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross, though it doesn't appreciate having its Eviolite removed by Knock Off and is beaten by Swords Dance variants. Other Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl and Fletchinder can revenge kill Heracross as well, but they have more trouble switching in.

**Fairy-types**: Physically defensive Aromatisse and Granbull can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross and KO it with their STAB moves.

**Poison-types**: Most Poison-types resist both of Heracross's STAB moves. Nidoqueen, in particular, can stomach most of Heracross's moves and retaliate with a powerful Sludge Wave, though it is hit hard by Earthquake.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Entei, Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill can outspeed Heracross and KO it with their STAB moves.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey dodmen. Just wanted to drop by and look at your analysis and I got to say it looks well thought out :)

I do have something to offer...what about mentioning a more bulkier EV spread on the Choice Band and Swords Dance sets? I have had a ton of success especially running the bulkier spread on the Leftovers variant of the Swords Dance set to have an easier time setting up.

Just a thought I had, but if I had the power QC 1/3 imo

Hey dodmen. Just wanted to drop by and look at your analysis and I got to say it looks well thought out :)

I do have something to offer...what about mentioning a more bulkier EV spread on the Choice Band and Swords Dance sets? I have had a ton of success especially running the bulkier spread on the Leftovers variant of the Swords Dance set to have an easier time setting up.

Just a thought I had, but if I had the power QC 1/3 imo
Thanks NV :] any particular spread you have in mind? That sounds like a good idea and I'll definitely implement that.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Thanks NV :] any particular spread you have in mind? That sounds like a good idea and I'll definitely implement that.
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe Adamant nature so Heracross can outspeed Adamant Honchkrow, which seems to be the UU benchmark lol, and it can still hit as hard as possible.

Last edited:
Mostly nitpicking here, there's not much I can add.

Mediocre speed and no priority: can outspeed all relevant walls, but is prone to revenge killing from offensive Pokemon
It learns Vacuum Wave and Feint!!!

No usable priority move would be more accurate.

Facade can be used in conjunction with Flame Orb to take advantage of Heracross's ability, Guts, and hit Fairy-types for massive damage.
Poison-type Pokemon too

Guts should be mentioned in the Scarf set. It loses the ability to snowball weakened teams, but it gains a lot more opportunities to switch in and it isn't ruined by burns. Moxie is better, but Guts is viable enough.

Endure Salac in OO.

Poison-type are good checks, specially Nidoqueen.

Gligar beats non-SD Heracross

Defensive Mence has a chance of not getting 2HKOed by CB Adamant Stone Edge, Scarf doesn't 2HKO after SR, and it survives +2 (+1 after Intimidate) Facade from burned Guts Heracross.

112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe Adamant nature so Heracross can outspeed Adamant Honchkrow, which seems to be the UU benchmark lol, and it can still hit as hard as possible.
Thanks again for the suggestion, the spread has been listed under Set Details for Choice Band and Swords Dance [:
Mostly nitpicking here, there's not much I can add.

It learns Vacuum Wave and Feint!!!

No usable priority move would be more accurate.

Poison-type Pokemon too

Guts should be mentioned in the Scarf set. It loses the ability to snowball weakened teams, but it gains a lot more opportunities to switch in and it isn't ruined by burns. Moxie is better, but Guts is viable enough.

Endure Salac in OO.

Poison-type are good checks, specially Nidoqueen.

Gligar beats non-SD Heracross

Defensive Mence has a chance of not getting 2HKOed by CB Adamant Stone Edge, Scarf doesn't 2HKO after SR, and it survives +2 (+1 after Intimidate) Facade from burned Guts Heracross.
Got all of that I believe.

Dammit Hikari, you stole some of the stuff I was gonna say.

I honestly prefer Toxic > Flame Orb because it allows you to not lose much health if you're not gonna be setting up directly (and it's prolly not even gonna need SD against faster teams anyway), but I guess it's up to preference. Remember Flame Orb starts being better in the fourth turn, and by that point it's gonna be at 50% so it's not gonna tank many hits either way, lol.

This might be just me, but I'd slash Jolly before Adamant on both the CB and SD sets, if only because of Timid Chandy but also to at least tie with max Speed base 85s (and you outspeed Adamant Luke/Krook for what it's worth). Jolly Band will still 2HKO Florges after SR if Florges has been Knocked Off before most of the time anyway [65.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock], while with Lefties Florges can still avoid the 2HKO from Adamant.
Turn 0: 252 HP EVs Florges has 360 HP.

Turn 1: Florges switches into SR (45 HP) = 315 HP
Florges tanks the CC / Megahorn (161,189 HP) = (154,126 HP)
Florges recovers some health with Lefties (22 HP) = (176,148 HP)

Turn 2: Florges Protects
Florges recovers some health with Lefties (22 HP) = (198,170 HP)

Turn 3: Florges tanks the CC / Megahorn (161,189 HP) = (37,-19 HP)

I might've made a mistake and I didn't calc the 16*16 different values but just min/max so I dunno the exact percentage, but assuming my calcs were correct Florges survives over half of the time easily.

Pursuit might be worth mentioning in CB imo. While Krook is generally better, it's also more expected to carry it, meaning you can possibly Pursuit trap Slowking or Chandy (you can also switch into Scald, unlike Krook). It obviously lost a lot of allure after three Psychic-types left, and there's no Mew like last time, but I think it could still be useful to pair it with like Luke for dat sexy dual Fighting core :o Up to discussion tho.

Also I think Guts should be slashed with Moxie on the Scarf set, not just mentioned. Scarf Hera is rather slow to snowball (Salamence is significantly better at that lategame if only because of its Speed), while Guts allows you to switch into predicted Toxics and have the power of Band outright. Obviously Guts Hera is gonna be more of a revenge killer than a cleaner, so teams using it will have to have a different wincon.

Provided we arrive to a conclusion on those things, I see no reason to not stamp it :o

So preemptive stamp time

1/3

I changed Flame Orb -> Toxic Orb, moved Pursuit from OO to a mention in CB (I can put it in Choice Scarf too, although I think its other moves are more necessary on that), and slashed Guts after Moxie on Choice Scarf.

Honestly though I think Adamant has a lot more benefits over Jolly on CB as well as on SD.
Florges: If you Knock Off Lefties on the first switchin, as suggested by Usage Tips:
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 144-169 (40 - 46.9%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 131-154 (36.3 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Suicune: Not factoring in SR here since CB Heracross would usually switch into Suicune, not the other way around
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 205-243 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hippowdon:
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 202-238 (48 - 56.6%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers

Nidoqueen: Variable spread obviously. Bulkier spread:
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 176-207 (47 - 55.3%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 161-189 (43 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

Fatmence:
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Salamence: 294-348 (74.8 - 88.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Salamence: 270-318 (68.7 - 80.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Support Crobat:
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Crobat: 274-323 (73.4 - 86.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Crobat: 249-294 (66.7 - 78.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Granbull:
+1 252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 316-372 (82.5 - 97.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 288-339 (75.1 - 88.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gligar:
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 79-94 (23.7 - 28.2%)
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gligar: 170-201 (51 - 60.3%)
Total: 74.7-88.5 (minimal damage, such as a random U-turn, + SR to have a great chance at knocking it out)

252 Atk Guts Heracross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 72-85 (21.6 - 25.5%)
252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gligar: 155-183 (46.5 - 54.9%)
Total: 68.1-80.4
Chandy is convenient to outspeed, but shouldn't CB and SD Heracross's main role to be to KO walls? For Adamant Luke it shouldn't make a difference the majority of the time, since the difference between CC and ESpeed is only around 7%. I'll hold back on marking this as approved till there's a consensus, lol.

Eh, I was using 252/232/24+ as the Florges spread, I guess if people do run max Def that's a point for Adamant. Thing is, if I'm gonna run max Speed I'd rather outspeed everything I oughta so that I can do better against faster teams, but it's really up to preference at the end of the day and it's just slash order. It's not like the damage you're missing out on can't be fixed with some prior damage in battle anyway—especially against defensive teams. And regarding Gligar, unless it's running Acrobatics (which it might do, if only because of Hera lol) nothing is stopping you from setting up a second SD to beat it.

But like I said, it's just slash order so no biggie either way. Leave it as is, and consider it approved, dodmen .

Implemented those, ready for GP checks.

Edit: also I refrained from mentioning Assault Vest as I truly don't think it's worth using on Heracross :/

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/correct remove
Overview
########

Heracross has outstanding power due to its high base Attack, a great offensive typing, and access to high-powered STAB moves and coverage options. Its two ability, Guts and Moxie, each let it perform unique roles in the metagame. Moreover, Heracross has usable bulk with a set of resistances that allows it to check certain Pokemon such as Krookodile. Heracross's base Speed allows it to outspeed all relevant walls, but leaves it prone to being revenge killing from killed by the plethora of faster offensive Pokemon, especially since because it has no usable priority. Additionally, its typing makes makes it difficult to deal with the bulky Fairy- and Flying-types of the UnderUsed tier.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's two best STAB moves, each with a Base Power of 120. Knock Off hits Flying- and Poison-types neutrally and Ghost-types super effectively, (AC) and it also cripples some switch-ins that Heracross cannot immediately handle. Stone Edge hits Flying-types super effectively, although most outspeed Heracross, so it must hit them on the switch. Earthquake hits Poison-types super effectively and certain other Pokemon such as defensive Arcanine more reliably than Stone Edge. Pursuit can be used to trap Ghost- and Psychic-types and can get useful chip damage on Pokemon that frequently switch out of Heracross. Sleep Talk can be used to absorb sleep-inducing moves from Pokemon such as Roserade, and Heracross can proceed to fire off Guts-boosted attacks against unsuspecting foes.

Set Details
========

Choice Band takes advantage of Heracross's enormous power and greatly limits its switch-ins to a select few physically defensive Pokemon. Guts takes advantage of status inflicted by moves such as Toxic and Scald to add even more to Heracross's power. Heracross's Attack and Speed are maximized to allow it to hit as hard and as fast as possible. An Adamant nature makes Heracross noticeably more powerful, giving Heracross a chance to a 2HKOing standard Florges after Stealth Rock damage. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed certain offensive Pokemon, such as Timid Chandelure and Adamant Lucario. A bulkier spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used to better complement Heracross's natural bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow.
(line)
Usage Tips
========

Heracross can easily be switched into common users of Scald and Toxic, such as Suicune and Blissey, respectively, to absorb status and get a huge power boost with Guts. Use Knock Off to remove Leftovers and Eviolite from Pokemon such as Florges and Gligar early in the game so that Heracross can break through them more easily later in the battle. Predict switches into Flying- and Poison-types early on and use the appropriate coverage move to allow Heracross to spam its STAB moves easily once they have been removed.

Team Options
========

Heracross needs teammates that check Fairy- and Flying-types. As with all offensive Pokemon, entry hazards are essential in order for Heracross to net certain KOs and pressure the opposing team. Mega Aggron and Forretress can switch into many of Heracross's checks and set up Stealth Rock, making them great partners on more balanced teams. Heracross should be used with faster teammates that appreciate its ability to soften up physical walls. Examples of these are Choice Scarf Infernape and Mega Aerodactyl, both of which can clean up opposing teams once Heracross has broken through bulkier foes.

Swords Dance
########
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Knock Off / Facade

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Heracross's Attack to sky-high levels and allows Heracross to dismantle slower teams. Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's most powerful and reliable STAB moves, KOing the majority of the tier's Pokemon at +2. Knock Off provides neutral coverage on Poison- and Flying-types and super effective coverage on Ghost-types and also removes Eviolites and Leftovers from defensive targets. Facade can be used over Knock Off in conjunction with Toxic Orb to take advantage of Heracross's ability, Guts, and hit Fairy- and Poison-types for massive damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment is placed into Attack and Speed to allow Heracross to hit as hard and as fast as possible. An Adamant nature gives Heracross significantly more power and allows it to KO defensive Aromatisse with no prior damage and defensive Granbull after Stealth Rock damage with a +2 Guts-boosted Facade. A Jolly nature can be used instead in order for Heracross to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Chandelure and Adamant Lucario. Guts is the preferred ability for Heracross to take advantage of status moves such as Scald and Toxic, and Heracross is too slow to benefit from Moxie anyway.

Leftovers increases Heracross's longevity and allows it to set up more comfortably against certain defensive Pokemon, including Gligar and Vaporeon. Toxic Orb can be used to increase Heracross's immediate power and reliably boost Facade, but it heavily takes away from Heracross's longevity. On Toxic Orb variants, (RC) Heracross can opt to run a fourth attacking move over Swords Dance if the immediate power and coverage of both Knock Off and Facade is desired. An alternate EV spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe can be used on the Leftovers variant to set up more easily in the face of passive Pokemon and potentially avoid being revenge killed by revenge killing from Pokemon such as Mienshao. The Speed EVs on this spread allow Heracross to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow.

Usage Tips
========

Use Heracross's ability to force out Pokemon such as Snorlax and Umbreon to set up easily against slower teams. However, it is fruitless to set up during battles against more offensive teams, where as Heracross should simply go for attacks. Heracross's mediocre Speed usually prevents it from sweeping entire teams. Instead, Swords Dance Heracross should be used to break down walls to support its teammates. Use Volt Switch or U-turn support to bring in Heracross and activate its potential Toxic Orb safely.

Team Options
========

Heracross should be paired with Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Mienshao or Choice Scarf Infernape, which take advantage of Heracross luring and breaking down physical walls. Teammates that check the Flying- and Fairy-types that often switch into Heracross are necessary, especially for the Leftovers variant. If Heracross holds Toxic Orb, it should be paired with a Pursuit trapper such as Krookodile to remove Ghost-types since because it gives up Knock Off for Facade. Heracross appreciates paralysis support from Pokemon such as Stun Spore Whimsicott, which lures the Flying-types that Heracross commonly struggles with.

Choice Scarf
########
move 1: Close Comat

Moves
========
Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's two most powerful STAB moves. Knock Off provides coverage on Flying-, Poison-, and Ghost-types and also cripples Pokemon that rely on items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. Stone Edge hits Flying- and Fire-types, such as Crobat and Arcanine respectively, for super effective damage. Earthquake can be used over Stone Edge for super effective coverage on many Poison-types Pokemon, such as Nidoqueen, and to serve as a more reliable way to hit Fire-type Pokemon.

Set Details
========

252 EVs are placed into Speed with a Jolly nature and a Choice Scarf to allow Heracross to outspeed the entire unboosted tier. 252 EVs in Attack allow Heracross to hit as hard as possible. Moxie is used as Heracross's ability to allow it to accumulate boosts after revenge kills and potentially snowball into a late-game sweeper. Guts can be used instead to allow Heracross to safely switch into moves such as Scald and Toxic and to avoid being completely crippled by burns.

Usage Tips
========

Use Choice Scarf Heracross as a revenge killer and a late-game cleaner after the appropriate walls have been weakened or eliminated. Use Knock Off to remove items from defensive walls such as Florges and Hippowdon early in the game. If Moxie is the chosen ability, avoid letting Heracross get inflicted by status, (AC) as it removes the possibility of sweeping. Alternatively, Heracross with Guts should primarily act as a revenge killer and status absorber instead of a sweeper. Use Close Combat sparingly, especially against Pokemon with Pressure, as its limited PP should be conserved until late-game.

Team Options
========

Heracross needs teammates to break down opposing physical walls, especially Fairy-types. Nidoqueen can check many of Heracross's switch-ins and heavily pressure physical walls. It also needs teammates that can handle opposing Choice Scarf users, most of which are faster than Heracross. Spikes support from Pokemon like such as Roserade makes it much more difficult for defensive Pokemon to consistently switch into Heracross, especially after their items have been removed with Knock Off.

Other Options
########

Heracross can use Bulk Up to complement its respectable natural bulk, though Swords Dance is generally the preferred boosting option. Substitute is an option to deter revenge killing and ease prediction, but Heracross must be wary of Infiltrator Crobat. Heracross can run an Endure + Salac Berry set with Reversal and Moxie to act as a late-game sweeper after priority users and faster Choice Scarf Pokemon have been removed. Finally, a RestTalk set with Life Orb can be used to take advantage of Guts and keep Heracross healthy.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types** Crobat can switch into any move other than Stone Edge or a Guts-boosted Facade and easily KO Heracross. Physically defensive Salamence can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross and can even live a +2 Guts-boosted Facade after Intimidate. Physically defensive Gligar can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross, though it doesn't appreciate having its Eviolite removed by Knock Off and is beaten by Swords Dance variants. Other Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl and Fletchinder can revenge kill Heracross as well, but have more trouble switching in.

**Fairy-types** Physically defensive Aromatisse and Granbull can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross and KO it with their STAB moves.

**Poison-types** Most Poison-types resist both of Heracross's STAB moves. Nidoqueen, in particular, can stomach most of Heracross's moves and retaliate with a powerful Sludge Wave, though it is hit hard by Earthquake.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon** Pokemon such as Entei, Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill can outspeed Heracross and KO it with their STAB moves.
1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)
Overview
########

Heracross has outstanding power due to its high base Attack, a great offensive typing, and access to high-powered STAB moves and coverage options. Its two ability abilities, Guts and Moxie, each both let it perform unique roles in the metagame. Moreover, Heracross has usable bulk with a set of resistances that allows it to check certain Pokemon such as Krookodile. Heracross's base Speed allows it to outspeed all relevant walls, (remove comma) but leaves it prone to being revenge killed by the plethora of faster offensive Pokemon, especially because it has no usable priority. Additionally, its typing makes makes it difficult to deal with the bulky Fairy- and Flying-types of the UnderUsed tier.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's two best STAB moves, each with a Base Power of 120. Knock Off hits Flying- and Poison-types neutrally and Ghost-types super effectively, and it also cripples some switch-ins that Heracross cannot immediately handle. Stone Edge hits Flying-types super effectively, although most outspeed Heracross, so it must hit them on the switch. Earthquake hits Poison-types super effectively and certain other Pokemon such as defensive Arcanine more reliably than Stone Edge does. Pursuit can be used to trap Ghost- and Psychic-types and get useful chip damage on Pokemon that frequently switch out of Heracross. Sleep Talk can be used to absorb sleep-inducing moves from Pokemon such as Roserade, and Heracross can proceed to fire off Guts-boosted attacks against unsuspecting foes.

Set Details
========

Choice Band takes advantage of Heracross's enormous power and greatly limits its switch-ins to a select few physically defensive Pokemon. Guts takes advantage of status inflicted by moves such as Toxic and Scald to add even more to Heracross's power. Heracross's Attack and Speed are maximized to allow it to hit as hard and as fast as possible. An Adamant nature makes Heracross noticeably more powerful, giving Heracross a chance to 2HKO standard Florges after Stealth Rock damage. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed certain offensive Pokemon, such as Timid Chandelure and Adamant Lucario. A bulkier spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used to better complement Heracross's natural bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Heracross needs teammates that check Fairy- and Flying-types. As with all offensive Pokemon, entry hazards are essential in order for Heracross to net certain KOs and pressure the opposing team. Mega Aggron and Forretress can switch into many of Heracross's checks and set up Stealth Rock, making them great partners on more balanced teams. Heracross should also be used with faster teammates that appreciate its ability to soften up physical walls. Examples of these are Choice Scarf Infernape and Mega Aerodactyl, both of which can clean up opposing teams once Heracross has broken through bulkier foes.

Swords Dance
########
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Knock Off / Facade

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Heracross's Attack to sky-high levels and allows Heracross to dismantle slower teams. Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's most powerful and reliable STAB moves, KOing the majority of the tier's Pokemon at +2. Knock Off provides neutral coverage on Poison- and Flying-types and super effective coverage on Ghost-types and also removes Eviolites and Leftovers from defensive targets. Facade can be used over Knock Off in conjunction with Toxic Orb to take advantage of Heracross's ability, Guts, and to hit Fairy- and Poison-types for massive damage.

Set Details
========

Leftovers increases Heracross's longevity and allows it to set up more comfortably against certain defensive Pokemon, including Gligar and Vaporeon. Toxic Orb can be used to increase Heracross's immediate power and reliably boost Facade, but it heavily takes away from Heracross's longevity. Toxic Orb variants can opt to run a fourth attacking move over Swords Dance if the immediate power and coverage of both Knock Off and Facade is desired. An alternate EV spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe can be used on the Leftovers variant to set up more easily in the face of passive Pokemon and potentially avoid being revenge killed by Pokemon such as Mienshao. The Speed EVs on this spread allow Heracross to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow.

Usage Tips
========

Use Heracross's ability to force out Pokemon such as Snorlax and Umbreon to set up easily against slower teams. However, it is fruitless to set up during battles against more offensive teams, as Heracross should simply go for attacks. Heracross's mediocre Speed usually prevents it from sweeping entire teams. Instead, Swords Dance Heracross should be used to break down walls to support its teammates. Use Volt Switch or U-turn support to bring in Heracross and activate its potential Toxic Orb safely, if running the item.

Team Options
========

Heracross should be paired with Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Mienshao or Choice Scarf Infernape, which take advantage of Heracross luring in and breaking down physical walls. Teammates that check the Flying- and Fairy-types that often switch into Heracross are necessary, especially for the Leftovers variant. If Heracross holds Toxic Orb, it should be paired with a Pursuit trapper such as Krookodile to remove Ghost-types because it gives up Knock Off for Facade. Heracross appreciates paralysis support from Pokemon such as Stun Spore Whimsicott, which lures the Flying-types that Heracross commonly struggles with.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========
Close Combat and Megahorn are Heracross's two most powerful STAB moves. Knock Off provides coverage on Flying-, Poison-, and Ghost-types and also cripples Pokemon that rely on items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. Stone Edge hits Flying- and Fire-types, such as Crobat and Arcanine, (comma) respectively, for super effective damage. Earthquake can be used over Stone Edge for super effective coverage on many Poison-types, such as Nidoqueen, and to serve as a more reliable way to hit Fire-type Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Use Choice Scarf Heracross as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner after the appropriate walls have been weakened or eliminated. Use Knock Off to remove items from defensive walls such as Florges and Hippowdon early in the game. If Moxie is the chosen ability, avoid letting Heracross get inflicted by status, as it removes the possibility of sweeping. Alternatively, Heracross with Guts should primarily act as a revenge killer and status absorber instead of a sweeper. Use Close Combat sparingly, especially against Pokemon with Pressure, as its limited PP should be conserved until late-game.

Team Options
========

Heracross needs teammates to break down opposing physical walls, especially Fairy-types. Nidoqueen can check many of Heracross's switch-ins and heavily pressure physical walls. It Heracross also needs teammates that can handle opposing Choice Scarf users, most of which are faster than Heracross. Spikes support from Pokemon such as Roserade makes it much more difficult for defensive Pokemon to consistently switch into Heracross, especially after their items have been removed with Knock Off.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types**: (colon) Crobat can switch into any move other than Stone Edge or a Guts-boosted Facade and easily KO Heracross. Physically defensive Salamence can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross and can even live survive a +2 Guts-boosted Facade after Intimidate. Physically defensive Gligar can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross, though it doesn't appreciate having its Eviolite removed by Knock Off and is beaten by Swords Dance variants. Other Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl and Fletchinder can revenge kill Heracross as well, but they have more trouble switching in.

**Fairy-types**: (colon) Physically defensive Aromatisse and Granbull can switch into Choiced variants of Heracross and KO it with their STAB moves.

**Poison-types**: (colon) Most Poison-types resist both of Heracross's STAB moves. Nidoqueen, in particular, can stomach most of Heracross's moves and retaliate with a powerful Sludge Wave, though it is hit hard by Earthquake.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: (colon) Pokemon such as Entei, Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill can outspeed Heracross and KO it with their STAB moves.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
dodmen I know this is almost done, but small question about the SD set. After using your tailwind team for over 40 games, I never really had an issue lacking megahorn (your set is cc / knock / facade / sd), any qc thoughts on possibly changing the slashes or giving a mention in moves to such a moveset?

Wait, when did that happen? I swear to god when I stamped it the SD set had Megahorn / Facade (with Lefties / Toxic Orb obviously). I don't really mind either way because I love Megahorn, but the more logical move spread for the Toxic Orb set seems to be with both Knock Off and Facade.

Also this:
+2 252+ Atk Guts Heracross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 430-506 (96.8 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (Jolly KOes after SR)

Obviously Megahorn has its uses when you don't wanna have to lower your defenses, but it'd look like Knock Off is more necessary overall. Is there any particular reason why this was changed (or if I just misread it, why it was never like that)?

That was one of the changes that happened with IB's check. The reasoning was that it would be more useful to be able to hit bulky mons like Suicune without lowering your defenses. I could see it going either way so I'm kinda confused lol :/ I could change the moves to:

Swords Dance
Close Combat
Megahorn / Knock Off
Knock Off / Facade

which seems to me to be the best way to represent all the possibilities (though CC+Mhorn+Facade isn't really clearly represented). Anyone else have any other suggestions on how to slash the moves? Like I said, it could go either way. Both moves have their merits: Knock Off beats Ghosts and Gligar easier while Megahorn's power and lack of defense drop makes it attractive.

Also thanks P Squared for the check, gonna implement that after all this has been figured out.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Actually looking at it again now, I'm wondering whether Megahorn is worth it lol. I mean look at this calc:

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 373-441 (92.3 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

So it doesn't look like the lack of defense drop will matter at all since even something as bulky as Cune will in all probability not even get the chance to retaliate. And for anything faster than Hera a +2 Facade or Knock Off will usually do the job anyway. With this combined with Ernie's Cress calc and the ability to beat Ghosts, I agree that Knock Off is the more logical option. So I would say just revert back to the original slashes, which were SD CC Knock Off in the first three slots with Megahorn / Facade in the fourth slot. Lefties / Orb respectively ofc :)

Alright sorry for the delay, but I made the change and also implemented P Squared 's check so this should be done. If someone wants to read over the SD part before uploading just to make sure I didn't leave anything out/in, that'd be much appreciated :o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)