Heracross

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, Gliscor usually has no problem switching into Heracross aside from Guts-boosted Facade or Swords Dance-boosted Stone-Edge. Gliscor could wall choiced Heracross consistently, and I would say that it is a hard counter to this bug. However, you are apparently talking about the wall-breaking Status Orb + Swords Dance set, which I agree easily has greater problems facing many of the fast mons in Gen V.

Which leads me to the Salac Berry - Substitute MoPCross set, a set successful during Gen III. Granted even with a salac berry boost, with the spread I posted it is only hitting 397, which still does not outrun many scarfers or weather abusers out there, but it should be beating all non-scarfers to the punch. The big reason I thought MoPCross would be useful even in this newest gen is because it helps deal with its cruddy speed. The ability Moxie makes it even more usable, since the offensive edge that it may lack from not having Life Orb / Guts+FlameOrb / third coverage move is somewhat compensated by gaining boosts after each kill. I really think Moxie makes this MoPCross set dangerous. But alas, unlike the alternative wall-breaking SDance set, it has little answer to Gliscor.

Anyone thinks that BU Heracross can actually be a good addition to rain teams?
Because:

1- Heracross gets rid of one wekaness (psychic pokes are screwed by Megahorn, as long as they're slower. That leaves the not so common flying).
2- Heracross can easily dispatch every weather inducer that gets on Politoed's way(Tyranitar and Abomasnow won't like Megahorn, and Hippowdon can only Roar it, otherwise it's set up fodder". Ninetales is easily dispatched by... Politoed).
3-Well, it has a good amount of bulk. 80/95 is very good IMO.

breh

強いだね
BU Heracross just isn't as nice due to the instant power of Swords Dance. Getting +2 is far quicker with Swords Dance and makes Heracross an instant threat.

Anti-Metagame-Cross

Heracross @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 144 HP / 120 Atk / 244 Def
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Brick Break
- Megahorn

This Heracross is made to counter some of the metagames most threatening pokes. Let's look at some Calcs:

+2 Jolly Air Balloon Excadrill Rock Slide: (43.62% - 51.34%)
+2 Adamant Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide: (80.42% - 94.66%)
Not likely to see an Exca like this, but you can still survive and Guts boosted brick break is obviously a ohko back.

Megahorn against 252/252 bold Reuniclus: (106.13% - 125.24%)

Now obviously this thing gets walled by a lot of pokemon, but thats ok because its purpose is not too sweep. Its a utility poke that can do wonders for your team (speaking from experience) if used correctly. It is immune to status, resists two of the most common physical types in the game (Ground and Fighting) and it can fire off moves off of a 474 attack stat while asleep making it the perfect Breloom counter as well.

This set won't sweep through teams, but it can handle a lot of pokemon that could otherwise be a major headache for your team.

ETA: Some explanations: Toxic Orb over Flame Orb because I find myself rarely staying in for more than three turns, and if I do, I will probably be resting at some point in that time. Brick break over close combat because one of this sets biggest selling points is its defense, so I don't want to lower it. Also brick break can beat Conkeldurr one on one if you come in on it before it bulk ups, while close combat can not.

Now obviously this thing gets walled by a lot of pokemon, but thats ok because its purpose is not too sweep. Its a utility poke that can do wonders for your team (speaking from experience) if used correctly.
You dont counter Tornadus
Thats big for supposed to be anti meta
I guess the point of the set is to Deal with most things.
Then the things that it can't deal with are covered by something else. Also it's quite a unique set which I think people might not expect which would certainly give it an advantage.

I certainly see the set as having some merit.

Heracross isn't going to have an easy time countering Tornadus with any set. Another Excadrill-stopper is an awesome thing.

There is no way that Heracross would ever be able to counter Tornadus, but I would only call Tornadus a soft counter to this set at best considering it can't switch in unless it wants to risk taking 58%-69% from Megahorn, factor in Rocks and if its running life orb like a lot of them do, then it will often only be able to get in 1 attack before it dies of recoil.

Like previously mentioned, Heracross can become a stronger threat in this gen due to the massive increase in fighting types. With his bug typing, he can switch with impunity on most fighting type moves. Outside of Stone Edge, Conkeldurr doesn't have a hit on Heracross. And with the increase usage of psychic types to deal with fighters, Heracross fits a unique niche to attack with STAB Megahorn. His lower speed may be a problem, but with the right support I definitely can see Heracross coming back as a top threat.

Heracross' best set is a bulky moxie scarf set. Give him max attack, enough to outspeed fastest common non-scarfers, and HP/defense. This gives him the survivability to deal with most common things on a sandstorm team.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk/232 Spe/24 HP
Adamant / Moxie

Close Combat
Megahorn
Sleep Talk
Stone Edge/Night Slash

he cleanly survives balloon excadrill's +2 earthquake, 1hkos Scarfchomp at +1, and will clean up any remaining non-scarf sandstorm pokemon.

Heracross' best set is a bulky moxie scarf set. Give him max attack, enough to outspeed fastest common non-scarfers, and HP/defense. This gives him the survivability to deal with most common things on a sandstorm team.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk/232 Spe/24 HP
Adamant / Moxie

Close Combat
Megahorn
Sleep Talk
Stone Edge/Night Slash

he cleanly survives balloon excadrill's +2 earthquake, 1hkos Scarfchomp at +1, and will clean up any remaining non-scarf sandstorm pokemon.

Wouldn't Sleep Talk be illegal with Moxie? Serebii lists Sleep Talk as a 4th gen only move.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I am truly amazed that he didn't get u-turn. If you play with the "no team preview" rule he could have at least acted as a scout. But, I digress. The choice scarf set seems like the best way to go with him. He simply doesn't have the speed to pull off a sweeping set.

Switch into a Espeon or rankurusu and sub when scare them out. Once I used a bottom pass ing glister to get a polish and a sd up then I swept.

Thinking of a set for overconfidence

Heracross @ Normal Gem
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Moxie
252 Atk/252 Spe

Feint
EQ
Close Combat/Revenge
Bug Bite/ Megahorn

Bring it in on an opportunity to revenge kill. Feint KO it and get a Moxie boost.

Heracross is faster than Chandelure so it can eat a EQ and die

You have to have your 2 stab moves of course.

Thinking of a set for overconfidence

Heracross @ Normal Gem
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Moxie
252 Atk/252 Spe

Feint
EQ
Close Combat/Revenge
Bug Bite/ Megahorn

Bring it in on an opportunity to revenge kill. Feint KO it and get a Moxie boost.

Heracross is faster than Chandelure so it can eat a EQ and die

You have to have your 2 stab moves of course.
I don't see a point for Feint other than to break Protect/Detect, which are uncommonly seen. I'd rather stick to Choice Scarf + Moxie, thanks.

Priority revenge kill.

Feint + Normal Gem

whats with people not reading sets lately? :/
Ah, right...

That was pretty creative, then. I know that EQ is for Chandelure, but it's redundant with your Fighting STAB. Can I suggest Night Slash or Pursuit so you can deal with Ghosts?

But...doesn't Feint only work if your opponent uses Protect/Detect?

Feint and Normal Gem would be useless if you're opponent didn't run those two moves...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)