Other Here we go again... AGAIN - The Second Task (Complete)

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty folks, I apologize for the delays but here it is at last! First, allow me to congratulate (and notify) the players who successfully completed the first task once more:

Courageous Warriors
1. Steven Snype
2. zorbees
3. kingofmars
4. Celever
5. Walrein
6. Acklow
7. Pidge
8. askaninjask
9. jumpluff
10. billymills
11. Ditto
12. LightWolf
13. Ace Emerald
14. PokeguyNXB
15. Woodchuck
16. Da Letter El

Some people have given me criticism for sparing too many people after the last task. Worry not! Your second task will be a twist on the classicly boring game, minesweeper! Rather than having the whole grid to yourself though, you will instead bid for the rights to certain squares, and hope that you find some shiny gold coins. Unraveling a mine though is no good of course, so I will inform each of you the location of one mine on the grid to help get you started.
  • The setting for this task will be the following 8x8 square grid, with a total of 19/64 squares with mines on them:
~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
B ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
C ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
D ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
E ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
F ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
G ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
H ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

• Players are given $1000 at the start to bid on different squares, and are also told one unique square that is guaranteed to have a mine. As promised, Acklow, Steven Snype, and Pidge will have an advantage for this task, which is that they will be given the location of 2 unique squares that have mines.
  • Your goal is to obtain the various amounts of gold coins located under the squares. Each player will start out with 5 gold coins.
  • Each square is denoted by the row following by the column, eg A1.
  • There will be a bidding phase, where each player may bid a certain amount of money on up to 4 squares. Each square will be awarded to the highest bidder that submits their bid to me first.
  • I will reveal the squares that players did not bid on after the bidding phase ends.
  • During the following phase, players are allowed to pick any set of squares that they have successfully purchased and “unravel” them. You must specify the order in which you unravel your chosen squares.
  • Upon successfully unraveling a square, you will gain 1 gold coin. You will also be rewarded additional gold coins equal to the number of edge-adjacent (eg directly above, below, left, or right, and NOT on a diagonal) squares that contain mines.
  • For example, if you unravel D2, the edge-adjacent squares are D1, D3, C2, and E2. If only E2 contained a mine, then unraveling D2 would net you 2 gold coins.
  • If you unravel a mine, you will lose 5 coins, and you will lose your chance of unraveling any additional square, depending on the order in which you specified to unravel your squares. If you have less than 5 coins upon unraveling a mine, you will be eliminated and punished instantly.
  • During the bidding phase, you may also pay me $250 for a special service. I will tell you the total number of coins and mines in a row or column of your choice.
  • After each unraveling phase, I will reveal the number of gold coins each player has, and which squares are unraveled.
  • The process of bidding and unraveling will be repeated up to two more times, or until every mine free square is unraveled. However, ownership of squares carries over to subsequent bidding phases, so this effectively gives you an opportunity to auction off your squares in exchange for additional money.
  • After the last unraveling phase, I will rank each of the players first by the number of gold coins they have, following by the remaining amount of money in their possession. The top 3 ranked players will be given an advantage during the next task, while the bottom 6 will be eliminated. While I doubt this will happen, ties will be settled by how late you submit your orders for your final unraveling phase. If people were eliminated earlier from going negative, then fewer people will get eliminated at this stage.
We will now begin the first bidding phase. To give you adequate time to formulate a strategy, the deadline for PMing your bids to me will be on Sunday, 6/29/2013 at 4 PM MT. Good luck!

Last edited:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I am willing to be kind and share one of the rows that has a mine as long as you work with me. However for this to work you better be my good friend!!

Last edited:

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am pleased to announce that I have already discovered the locations of all the mines. As a show of good faith, here are all of them:
~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A ? ? ? X ? ? ? ?
B ? ? X ? X ? ? ?
C ? ? X ? X ? ? ?
D ? ? X ? X ? ? ?
E ? ? X ? X ? ? ?
F ? X ? X ? X ? ?
G X ? ? X ? ? X ?
H ? X X ? X X ? ?

Bass

Brother in arms
I apologize for forgetting to write this rule, but I will announce which squares are unraveled after the end of each unraveling phase.

Bass

Brother in arms
After talking to a few players, I have decided to make the following change to the rules for the second task:

All players will start out with 5 gold coins. This way, you are not automatically eliminated if you hit a mine in the first unraveling phase.

Bass

Brother in arms
Another excellent question about the "inspection" action was asked. The results I will give you will only account for unraveled squares, eg, you will be given the total number of coins and mines that were not yet unraveled in that row and column.

Bass

Brother in arms
How troublesome... it seems that a lot of people didn't read my post carefully and thought the deadline was 9 MT, not 4 MT. Therefore I will accept bids until around 10 MT this time just this once. Please read more carefully in the future!

Wayan Vistar

formerly Flyhn
Phew! I haven't been on and EVERY TIME I could be late, I luck out and everyone gets an exstension. And now that Everybody Votes Mafia is over, this is the only circus game I'm in so I'll be more active!

Bass

Brother in arms
The first bidding phase is now over, and all results should be out. The following squares were not sold: A4, C7, D1, D2, D6, D7, D8, E2, E3, E5, E6, E7, E8, F1, F8, G1, G7, H1, H2, H3, H5, H8.

It is now time for the first unraveling phase. Send me your unraveling orders by 10 PM MT, July 1st. Updating this was quite complicated, so let me know if there are obvious errors in your results.

Bass

Brother in arms
Also, let me remind everyone:
  • Upon successfully unraveling a square, you will gain 1 gold coin. You will also be rewarded additional gold coins equal to the number of edge-adjacent (eg directly above, below, left, or right, and NOT on a diagonal) squares that contain mines.
  • For example, if you unravel D2, the edge-adjacent squares are D1, D3, C2, and E2. If only E2 contained a mine, then unraveling D2 would net you 2 gold coins.
Some people mistakenly thought that squares with no edge-adjacent mines had no gold coins, but this is incorrect. The number of gold coins on a mine free square is 1 PLUS the number of edge-adjacent mines. This is important if you used the row / column inspection during the bidding phase.

Bass

Brother in arms
DLE and LightWolf have finally completed their apologies to each other. I still do not have Ditto's nor Eagle4's yet, but these apologies were so well written that I might as well post them now:

Sorry for getting this in so late Bass! Got busy at the last minute when I tend to do writing assignments!
Ser lightwoof,

It has come to my attention that I must apologize to you for the circumstances which placed us in a tie when we both could easily have won outright without bass's intervention. While I feel as though there was a fairly even spread of blame between the both of us and some attributable to circumstance, it is only fitting that I apologize for my complicity in this regard.

I am sorry that I was busy communicating with other players around me as to what they might be submitting, including the player 2 away from me that I did not think to talk to you. I'm sorry that I did not think that the only player that might submit something that would be in conflict with my submission would arbitrarily decide to place his vote without discussing this with anyone further back. I am sorry that I misjudged your intelligence in that regard. I also am to blame for being away from a computer when you posted your betting intentions 3 minutes before deadline and after my submission. I should have known better than to be drinking and partying and having fun while you were struggling to keep awake, trimming your ballerina neck beard while you stroke yourself to your favorite my little pony, rainbow dash. And I am sorry that despite my spelling out to you that I would not be on to change my vote that you actively chose to put yourself in a position where you would lose given the 7th player being reasonable and betting where they should have.

From this letter it should be clear that I am truly sorry for your soul and hope that you may one day mature into a mediocre member of society that may find part time employment at a walmart.

Colored leaves fall down/
DaLetterEl nearly lost/
I am so sorry

The sun was rising/the 5 AM alarm rings/risen from my bed/to the computer I turn/my answers arrive in time

But with these actions I was sleepy
Maybe I was way too speedy
My submission I could have easy
Submitted a hour later maybe

The sacrifice I thought was needed
For my place in the next round to be seeded
But DLE showed up and things got heated
At this point I should have conceded

Some Seven Sins I represented
My Pride was not to be dented
My sleep I had lamented
And with my greed the host I offended

I fought hard thinking I could win
Kept blindly charging in
But however this I'd spin
This was but another sin

What I did wouldn't help me
We would always just disagree
To win arguing was not the key
Between me and the man oversea

The man's behavior was enraging
And I just kept on waging
This pointless war I was engaging
It was my approach I had to be changing

Stubborn goat I was/unmovable cursed devil/sending two to hell/my mistake I recognize/I was a stupid asshole

Blossoms are in bloom/
Riot servers fucking up/
Got Loss Forgiven

Bass

Brother in arms
This just in! Another apology from Ditto, addressed to askaninjask:

Dear askaninjask,

I am sorry that I almost caused us both to lose. I was stupid and did not read every post about the players who were scoring around me. While perusing the thread I had stumbled upon kingofkongs’ post saying that he was aiming for 11, so I assumed you would be aiming for 10. Therefore I did the sensible thing and aimed for 9. I do not care for the people below me, so I did not look at what they might be aiming to score. They are so far beneath me that I do not stoop so low as to even consider their futile plans to rise above their tawdry state. But even I must admit to the number greatness of askaninjask above me! And therefore I get down on my knees to beg your forgiveness! I hope to one day reach the greatness that is rank 11, a rank so great that it is double first rank! The greatest rank there is and I almost destroyed it! My shame will echo through my family until the last generation! Please be a merciful god and forgive a poor sinner! I beg for your forgiveness!

/me huggles,

Ditto

Bass

Brother in arms
Eagle4 was late in his apology, and therefore would normally be eligible for a worse punishment. But since he went above and beyond, I'll give him a free pass. Let his apology speak for itself. Enjoy!

<LightWolf> also you couldn't really write a worse one than DLE

<Eagle4> it's just a fuckin apology

<Eagle4> it's not a novel

Dedicated to my wife, Isabelle, may she rest in peace and thank god the jury thought there wasn’t enough evidence

CHAPTER 1: APOLOGY

Finishing just before deadline… Unfortunately, it has come to my immediate attention that I must write an apology, as punishment for what has been regarded as a wrongdoing by member bass, whom I view as a Cruel dictator, a savage King. Yet while it is within my literary boundaries to write an apology directed at the three members I have supposedly betrayed, we must first decide upon the meaning of an apology; its function and use in today’s society. Otherwise I fear this apology would be meaningless, a waste. Unfit, I would be, in delivering this humble apology, whatever that word means, BASS...

--

apology

əˈpɒlədʒi/

noun

noun: apology; plural noun: apologies

1. 1.

2. a regretful acknowledgement of an offence or failure.

3. "we owe you an apology"
  1. synonyms:
  • expression of regret, one's regrets; More
  • "I owe you an apology"
  • a formal expression of regret at being unable to attend a meeting or social function.

• "Robert can't come and sends his apologies"
  • a very poor or inadequate example of.
--

This is google’s well-informed definition of the phrase, and a simple glance proves that there are many interpretations of the term. While there is an implication made by Bass that the term “apology” is being used in the context of the first given meaning, I would be doing no wrong by stating my regret for not attending a meeting or social function - or in this scenario, for not playing the game. Which is, of course, wrong of Bass as I was playing the game - and therefore it would also not be wrong of me to suggest that Bass is an apology for a host - and just like that, I’ve used every term given for an apology, all completely justified.

CHAPTER 2: APOLOGIES IN SOCIETY

Yet as eras pass, the emphasis on the need to apologise has been increasingly influenced by what society dictates. Or rather, what those who are easily offended dictate. Uhh, a recent example would be the jonah hill “Scandal” - though calling it a scandal would be incredibly vacuous of me - where he felt the need to apologise Live on television for rudely shouting at a heckling paparazzi. Under what circumstances does that warrant an apology? Truth be told, it does not. Sadly, society has grown to force people into apologising needlessly for petty wrongdoings. So you must understand my frustration when being forced to write this apology. I could refuse - rebel against society, stand on my own and prevail against the wrath of Bass. Alas, that cannot be. I must accept that an apology has been forced upon me and I must follow accordingly.

CHAPTER 3: APOLOGY TO BASS

Bass, I’ve known you for 14 years now; growing up as children, it was evident that we had our differences. A large amount of differences, yes, but our trust in each other was the glue that held us together. So, to impel me to apologise has been tough for me. Sadly, I don’t think we can remain as the friends we once were. Sure, what I did to you was wrong - I admit that much. Unfortunately, I mistook this ordeal to be a game and so played it as such, prioritising what was going on in my life and the clearly superior electro mafia to this labour of love that you possess. Can you say that was wrong of me? Kick me, push me away, I do not care. Someday, however, you too will realise that this apology is needless.

I apologise to you for playing what is now - apparently - not a game but what your life has amounted to - half-heartedly. It was wrong of me to think that school work, GCSEs, depression and better forum games were more important.

CHAPTER 4: APOLOGY TO ACE EMERALD

Oh yer, sorry for apparently screwing you over despite the fact that you’re in the second round and I’m not, I totally need to apologise for that wtf bass.

CHAPTER 5: APOLOGY TO CELEVER

Celever, I remember when you were an 11 year old on this site, acting as a 14 year old. Now at the ripe old age of 13, you’ve matured enough (I hope) to accept apologies gracefully. We’ve had a great time together on Smogon, where I’ve clearly been your superior, and as such I believe an apology from you is in order for putting me through this ordeal of apologising to you. Where’s my fucking apology you scrub. Either way, as I’m being forced to do this, probably by gunpoint knowing the tyranny of Bass, I will utter these words, and only once, so savour it as this will be the only time where you have given the appearance of being my superior (aside from that one time in Twilight Princess NOC but let’s just fucking forget that jesus christ): I am sorry. hahahahahaha too good

But yeah you survived so what the hell bass why do I have to apologise you shoulda thought of a punishment that made sense

EPILOGUE

Judging by Bass’ views for what warrants an apology, I feel another apology is in order. Apologies for getting this in late. How’s this for fucking half-hearted bitch.

Man I am such a tyrant.

Last edited:

Bass

Brother in arms
The first unraveling phase is now over. Here are the current standings in terms of coins only:

Coins:
Da Letter El - 17
billymills - 13
Steven Snype - 11
Celever - 10
PokeguyNXB - 9
kingofmars - 8
LightWolf - 8
jumpluff - 7
Acklow - 7
Ace Emerald - 7
Walrein - 6
Pidge - 5
Ditto - 5
Woodchuck - 5
zorbees - 2
askaninjask - 0

It is now time for the second bidding phase. Note that the following squares were unraveled and thus not for sale: A1, A2, A3, A5, A6, A7, A8, B1, B3, B4, B6, B8, C6, C8, D3, D4, D5, E1, E4, F3, F5, F7, G8, and H7.

The following squares are for sale but are currently owned by another player: B2, B5, B7, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, F2, F4, F6, G2, G3, G4, G5, G6, H4, and H6.

And finally, the following squares are unclaimed and for sale obviously: A4, C7, D1, D2, D6, D7, D8, E2, E3, E5, E6, E7, E8, F1, F8, G1, G7, H1, H2, H3, H5, and H8.

The deadline for the second bidding phase will be July 3rd at 10 PM MT. Please be more mindful of deadlines, as I will absolutely not be giving extensions this time.

Bass

Brother in arms
All results for the second bidding phase have been sent. If you got nothing, that means that neither your balance nor owned squares changed. The following squares were not sold: A4, B2, B5, B7, C4, C5, D2, E8, F2, F8, H2, H4, H5, H6, H8.

The "soft" deadline for the next unraveling phase will be on Saturday, July 5th, at 10 PM MT. As this is American Independence weekend, I will be generous with the deadline, but I am sure most of you probably already know what you need to unravel, so I will also end this earlier if everyone unravels before the deadline. Good luck!

Bass

Brother in arms
All results for Unraveling Phase 2 should be out. Here are the current standings in terms of coins:

Coins:
Da Letter El - 21
Steven Snype - 19
jumpluff - 15
billymills - 14
Pidge - 14
LightWolf - 12
Celever - 11
PokeguyNXB - 9
kingofmars - 8
Ace Emerald - 8
Acklow - 7
Walrein - 6
zorbees - 5
Ditto - 5
Woodchuck - 0

We also have our first casualty of this task, askaninjask. He unraveled a mine while having less than 5 coins and so he will be eliminated. I will reveal his punishment at the end of this task. You may for now assume that I will eliminate 5 more players.

Next, I will reveal the squares that are owned by other players but not unraveled: B7, C4, C5, E6, F1, F2, G7, and H3.
The following squares remain completely unclaimed: A4, B2, B5, D2, E8, F8, H2, H5, H6, and H8.

You may assume that any square not listed above was unraveled and is thus not for sale.

We have now arrived at the third bidding phase. The deadline will be July 7th at 10 PM MT. Nevertheless, I do encourage you to PM me as soon as possible! Under certain circumstances, I may be able to end this phase much earlier.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)