Other Here you go Austin: A PU RMT

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here you go Austin

699.gif
565.gif
085.gif
326.gif
024.gif
114.gif

Introduction
Hey guys, it's your least favorite PU moderator here with a PU rmt! I actually haven't posted one of these for PU since I was a total noob, didn't even go to the room, and thought peaking #1 on the PU ladder meant anything. So anyway, I decided to post a team when Austin challenged me to PU and told me he had found the best PU rmt he could, which had Gigalith. We've had like two good RMTs (done by Magnemite and Magnemite edit:forgot about kushalos's but that was like really early xy), and the rest have been asking for help. Nothing wrong with that, but we have a severe lack of actual PU showcasing, which is probably part of why general PU team quality is so fucking awful right now. This isn't like the perfect, most quality PU team in the world but it's pretty good and very fun to use. It also features some innovation, which most people seem to misunderstand. Innovation doesn't have to be shitty mon x being used, it can just be some non-standard sets that still work in the metagame, and this team features some of those. Anyway, by posting this team, I'm just hoping that maybe the better side of PU could shine for a bit. Also so that Austin can stop using Gigalith :toast:

Oh yeah, and no peak because, to be brutally honest, the PU ladder is so low quality that it doesn't matter that much and I'm not going to put the time into making a new account to peak with. free PUPL

699.png

Despite being a basic lead, sash aurorus is actually a really good mon in PU right now because hail can break the common sturdies and sashes of leads. I knew I wanted to build offense, so this seemed like the place to start.
699.png
389.png

Never used such a simple and good mon as RP Torterra before. It fit on offense and didn't have any basic awful synergy with Aurorus so threw it on.
699.png
389.png
085.png

Torterra doesn't really appreciate bulky grasses such as Gourgeist and Tangela and even the ones that don't resist a STAB move like Roselia aren't fun, so Dodrio was brought in as a wall breaker for the eventual sweep. Torterra also kind of helps with electrics.
699.png
389.png
085.png
326.png

At this point a massive ice weakness was clear, so I threw Grumpig on because it's been one of my favorite mons to use in PU for a long time. It also helps against smashpass, which is broken, although that's going to be banned in one or two days so this will be outdated very soon.
699.png
389.png
085.png
326.png
024.png

Still don't like grasses. Arbok is just a cool mon to help check things like Poliwrath, Machoke, and almost every physical attacker in the tier. It also absorbs toxic spikes which are never fun and in general should be used more than it is, it just kind of fits on teams nicely.
699.png
389.png
085.png
326.png
024.png
064.png

While I'll most likely get rid of this once Smashpass is banned (or at least consider it), Kadabra was necessary for checking smashpass along with Grumpig and also provides a nice way to check Carracosta and Barbaracle late game. When smashpass is gone I'll consider Rotom-F, but that's the meta.

699.png
565.png
085.png
326.png
024.png
114.png

With the banning of smashpass, Tangela helped me out vs smashers and Piloswine more while Costa can check dodrio and works better with the new team than Torterra, mostly due to not stacking so many weaknesses

In depth

699.gif

Sad Dino (Aurorus) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Sad Dino ;;; this thing should be used more. It's your basic lead set, and while it doesn't have to lead it's tossed out first 99% of the time. Blizzard and Freeze Dry have amazing coverage despite being two ice moves, Earth Power rounds out the perfect coverage and Stealth Rock is why we lead. The reason this is cool is because of its ability, snow warning. A basic lead scenario is Aurorus vs Sturdy WP Golem. It can either go for rocks and die while I still have my sash, or hit me down to my sash and never get rocks. Obviously people won't lead with Golem when they see this, but it still functions as a regular lead, a strong attacker, an an anti-lead all in one. Timid is used over the more common modest for beating out +speed Huntail and Torterra, but mostly Huntail because smashpass is broken (how many times can I mention this?).

565.gif

Carrotcosta (Carracosta) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

I like Occa Berry Torterra, but Costa works way better with the post smashpass team (at least as far as I can tell). It checks Dodrio nicely, and provides a great late game wincon, especially since the other 5 members of my team all severely deter Poliwrath, which is why Ice Beam becomes a good option. Mystic Water because fuck killing yourself to LO.
085.gif

3chan (Dodrio) @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Quick Attack

I have a hard time building teams without something that you can double to and smash things. Dodrio's purpose is to get pivoted into and smash things, and almost nothing can take it on with rocks up (gdi probo). This is just standard.CB Dodrio, and while it's normally run with Probopass to trap other Probopass and Pawniard, it's still a fucking strong nuke that kills shit. That's basically all it does.

326.gif

Broken (Grumpig) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Fast offensive Colbur Grumpig is amazing. Actually resist berries in general are just fun. The EVs are made to outspeed Pawniard and bop it with a Focus Blast if you hit (gee I wonder why HP Fighting is slashed). 3 attacks Twave offensive Grumpig normally runs Shadow Ball, but Whirlwind is here because fuck smashpass oml. Run Thunder Wave once it's banned, or Shadow Ball if you feel like it. This thing just has solid special bulk and, once it's in, is rather hard to switch into. Taunt shuts down defensive things, Psychic/Fighting is really good coverage, and paralysis will fuck/fucks with things hard. This is also my best answer to Piloswine, which is a massive threat because, although it only switches in on two things, I have no switchins. If you can FB it, do it.

024.gif

Twoface (Arbok) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Aqua Tail / Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

This is another thing that really needs some more love, although I actually sort of popularized it (oh yeah shoutouts to GasQuake for Colbur Pig because it's his thing). I've considered running bulkier spreads and faster spreads, but in the end I left it at 176 speed to beat out LO RD Poliwrath without rain and dumped the rest into HP to make it a bit bulkier with some coils up. If you want to, feel free to run more/less speed, faster can beat out Fraxure and Barbaracle and Kingler, slower can just take more hits. While I guess Aqua Tail slashed before Earthquake is sorta non-standard, I opted for it because of how much of a massive threat to the team Piloswine is, far more than defensive Carracosta or anything else EQ hits.

114.gif

Mom's spaghetti (Tangela) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

Now that smashpass is banned, Tangela is here to still check Barb/Costa/Fraxure while also helping out vs Piloswine and being able to switch into things. I opted for standard Tangela because there wasn't much innovation to be had in this slot. HP fire>HP ice here because Pawniard is more annoying than Jumpluff, which can still be checked but I also have things like Early Bird Dodrio.
Disclaimer
This team is offense. It won't always switch into things and that doesn't make it suck. I see a lot of rates saying "zomg you cant switch into Zebstrika 0/10 n00b" or "damn this team was hard to play with". Not my problem.

Shoutouts

The chess room people. This is a cool room, and I happened to make driver right before posting an RMT for a Chess RO, so yeah.

Austin J_ohn76 Lonely Peasant gobosox Gogoplata and I'd shoutout delta, cheesemuffin, gaiusjuliuscaesar and ninoj but I don't know your forums names and I just want to post this already. Also Potatopickle who doesn't have an account.

Sad Dino (Aurorus) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Twoface (Arbok) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Aqua Tail
- Sucker Punch

Broken (Grumpig) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Carrotcosta (Carracosta) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Mom's spaghetti (Tangela) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

3chan (Dodrio) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Quick Attack

I know this is fucked up and there's two spoilers but I can't edit this for whatever reason, it doesn't save no matter what I do
064.gif
smashers (Kadabra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Encore
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave

Did I mention smashpass is broken? Seriously, I could stop mentioning it in an rmt going up only a day or two before it's banned, but that's a lot of why this is here, although it still has a good place on the team. The non-standard thing about this is Encore and Twave, but I've actually found myself always wanting both and not missing Shadow Ball too much. Without Encore, things like Lickilicky (and Porygon, fuck that shit) become more of a pain for the team, while Thunder Wave is just kind of a necessity to beat SmashCosta and SmashBaracle. Other than that, standard.moves that you have to have to function in the meta. I don't always play to keep this thing's sash for late game, but definitely keep it if you see a smasher. Still, other than encore, it's just standard.kadabra coming through. Change that to Shadow Ball if you want, but that would be lame.

389.gif

m8 (Torterra) @ Occa Berry / Yache Berry / Coba Berry
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Occa Berry Torterra is definitely one of my favorite things about this team. Yache is standard, Life Orb sometimes, yet somehow this can be defined as innovation. This thing just sets up on things like Zebstrika (Overheat), Ninetales, Rapidash and Simisear because god. I slashed Yache because it's good for things like HP Ice Raichu and used for a reason, while Coba was fun af but there weren't enough Flying-types and you already check Jumpluff by living a hit. The rest is just standard Torterra, Jolly beating out Scarf Mime and Rotom-F, although you lose to Scarf Sawsbuck which sucks because it's a good mon. Would use again.

Threatlist is mostly Piloswine, Ice beam Smashcosta and hax (swanna+articuno core is also gay as shit)

Anty is still a giant nerd

Last edited:
aurorus torterra dodrio grumpig arbok kadabra

This team is too self entitled I rate it 7.2/10

I don't know how is this team too effective since Piloswine takes a huge dump on pretty much everything (HP fighting shouldn't be slashed) but I have ran teams almost as weak to Piloswine on the ladder too with moderate success so I guess that's fine.

You also struggle a little bit against stuff like Torterra since it beats everything outside of Dodrio 1v1 and if your opponent has a Probopass + SR up it can become though pretty quickly even though I could argue that your team has strong revenge killing power anyway. The only thing I would change is maybe putting some kind of Grass-type over Grumpig or Kadabra but that would really change your team so maybe n

:toast:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im not team rater but i have things to suggest. Have you tried choice scarf on dodrio? Currently the team is quite slow and relies a bit on kadabras focus sash for several sweepers which can be problematic if the opp has two threatening pokes or has pursuit support/broken kadabras sash. Scarf dodrio outspeeds importantly outspeeds everything up to rain dance poliwrath which has fun w/ your team assuming grumpig has been weakened to about 75%, and also beats general annoying sweepers like opposing torterra and fraxure, while also outspeeding others like zebby and raichu. Of course the drop of power may be annoying, but the support is nice.
Nice team n_n

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Toxic / Pursuit
You can run double edge + drill peck + bp if you want but dp does a lot less to torterra however double edge has a good chance to KO rotom-f w/ rocks. Toxic is cool but i mentioned pursuit as it helps weaken gourgeist and break kadabras sash for torterra and arbok baits in rock types anyway

im no nerd ;(

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Real cool team btw zard. Just a minor nitpick, Grumpig only needs 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Pawniard.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
aurorus torterra dodrio grumpig arbok kadabra

This team is too self entitled I rate it 7.2/10

I don't know how is this team too effective since Piloswine takes a huge dump on pretty much everything (HP fighting shouldn't be slashed) but I have ran teams almost as weak to Piloswine on the ladder too with moderate success so I guess that's fine.

You also struggle a little bit against stuff like Torterra since it beats everything outside of Dodrio 1v1 and if your opponent has a Probopass + SR up it can become though pretty quickly even though I could argue that your team has strong revenge killing power anyway. The only thing I would change is maybe putting some kind of Grass-type over Grumpig or Kadabra but that would really change your team so maybe n

:toast:
;;;;;;;;;;;
I never ran this on ladder but yeah Piloswine is a pain, I more rely on its difficulty switching in on most things and just wearing it down, but it's definitely the number one threat to the team. Torterra not enough to get on the threat list, but still obnoxious I guess. Definitely considering tangela>kadabra, but I won't do that until pass is banned, and Kadabra is still really useful.

Im not team rater but i have things to suggest. Have you tried choice scarf on dodrio? Currently the team is quite slow and relies a bit on kadabras focus sash for several sweepers which can be problematic if the opp has two threatening pokes or has pursuit support/broken kadabras sash. Scarf dodrio outspeeds importantly outspeeds everything up to rain dance poliwrath which has fun w/ your team assuming grumpig has been weakened to about 75%, and also beats general annoying sweepers like opposing torterra and fraxure, while also outspeeding others like zebby and raichu. Of course the drop of power may be annoying, but the support is nice.
Nice team n_n

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Toxic / Pursuit
You can run double edge + drill peck + bp if you want but dp does a lot less to torterra however double edge has a good chance to KO rotom-f w/ rocks. Toxic is cool but i mentioned pursuit as it helps weaken gourgeist and break kadabras sash for torterra and arbok baits in rock types anyway

im no nerd ;(
I tried scarf, but I quickly went back to CB because it's just stupidly strong.

Real cool team btw zard. Just a minor nitpick, Grumpig only needs 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Pawniard.
My bad, I hit 96 and I was like "might as well go a few more for timid huntail before the smash" but that was pre-whirlwind so I'll remove that.

omg you cant switch into Zebstrika 0/10 n00b

But yeah galbia is right, you're really weak to Piloswine. To fix this you could go LO Simipour > Dodrio, since Dodrio is probably the most replaceable member of your team at this point and it doesn't really "beat" grasses for Torterra since it's not like anyone's going to just sack their Grass-type when you have a Torterra (especially one that clearly has a good chance of being RP since you have Stealth Rock on Aurorus). Simipour arguably lures and wears down Grass-types better than Dodrio does while not sacrificing any wallbreaking ability, plus you can lead with it in most matchups against a Pilo since most people are probably going to lead with it since your first mon in team preview is a dino.

Other than that this is a pretty solid team that features a surprisingly really good Torterra set (though it does somehow manage to switch to the correct resist berry for the situation every time you fight me with it lol, though I don't see the point of Yache since the other two berries let it set up on a lot more than Yache does).

MZ

Updated the team with the smashpass ban, I really should've waited to post this when I was just going to change two members anyway. Apologies to everybody who rated this. Also tagging Austin and ready2go202 because the team you stole needs to be updated. The importable has been fixed

Seems like a p solid team. I'd go with LO Dodrio, just because getting locked into one move is never a good thing unless you have a u-turn/volt switch. But other than that great team m8 i r8 8/8

MZ

Expanded this into a hub for all the tangible stuff I've done, not just analyses. Still misses rates/qc checks but that would take too long and lol wtf am I doing help this is so much

Gen 6

C&C: PU Gourgeist-XL | PU Scrappy Stoutland | PU Choice Scarf Raichu | PU Machoke | PU Offensive Grumpig | PU Krokorok | AAA Doublade | PU Lumineon | PU Delibird | PU SpDef Pelipper | PU Carnivine | PU Maractus | AAA Sneasel | PU Pidgeot | PU Ledian | AAA Ferrothorn | PU Bellossom | PU Grumpig (revamp) | PU Leafeon (revamp) | PU Huntail (revamp) | PU Kingler (revamp) | PU Floatzel (revamp) | AG Kyogre | PU Politoed (revamp) | AAA Moltres | Choice Scarf Simisage | SubWisp Rotom-F | PU Camerupt | PU Kadabra (revamp) | PU Masquerain (revamp) | PU Lumineon (revamp) | PU Seaking (revamp) | AG Darkrai | AG CB Mega Rayquaza | PU Cryogonal | PU Chinchou | PU Lapras (revamp) | AG Smeargle | PU Mr. Mime (revamp) | PU Gothitelle | AG Arceus | PU Choice Specs Camerupt

Threads: New PU Theorymon | PU Yum or Yuck 2 | PU Tutoring | PU CCAT V3 | Old PU Theorymon | PU Survival of the Fittest revamp | AG Minitour #1 | Zero Sum Meta | PU CCAT V4 | PU King of the Hill | PU What's their last? | PU Ban Happy Tournament | PU BOTW V6 | PU Sample Teams (taken over) | PU Teambuilding Shop (updating team archives) | Remember when that was in the tier tournament

RMTs: Carrot Noises: UU | Here you go Austin: PU | Ferret Spam: NU/PU - Archived | Pyre: AG | New Style: PU | This is a pretty bad team: Monotype | (Monkey) 2.5k: PU | Athletic (3k) | Dark Void is better than Extreme Speed

Media: Trainer tip: Spikes in PU | From Top To Bottom: An OU Player's Guide to Learning PU | Weather in PU (with Twix) | Breaking the Species Clause in Anything Goes | PU Spotlight: Rotom-F | Across the Board: An Intro to the Chess Room | Trainer tip: Dealing with Klefki | LC Threats in PU | Machoke suspect coverage | AG Spotlight: Xerneas | PU Retrospective
Multiple scripts for Smogon YT

Miscellaneous: PU Threatlist | AG Speed Tiers | AG Role Compendium | Anything Goes Tour | Throh Suspect Tour | Machoke Suspect Tour | Quagsire Suspect Tour

Gen 7

C&C: AG mini Arceus-Fairy

Media: Monotype Winners and Losers

Threads: In Memory of PU

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)