HG-SS Cloning Glitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is something that happened to me in the past weekend.

I decided to transfer my Ursaring to my Pokewalker, to take a stroll through Yellow Forest. After I transferred it, i continued playing my SoulSilver. After a while, i went to the PC to look for my HM slave, and guess what i found? Ursaring! But not just any Ursaring...the Ursaring I
had sent to the pokewalker a while ago. I couldn't believe my eyes, so i checked its data to make sure it wasn't just another Ursaring. It was the Ursaring in my Pokewalker! It was cloned! My friend witnessed all of this. Due to lack of time, i couldn't investigate this glitch further, but my friend came yesterday and confirmed that it works since he tested it back at his house. I just wanted to share this with you guys so you can try it out and see if it really works for you.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So, if you transfer a pokémon to PokéWalker and keep playing HGSS, the pokémon is cloned?

Seriously, Game Freak?

It would really help to know what causes this. My guess is it relies upon disrupting communication between cart and walker at the right point.

Though, has it ACTUALLY been cloned? What I mean is, have you actually had two copies of the same Pokemon in the cartridge at the same time? It's no good having a copy on the cartridge and another on the Pokewalker if the game detects it and doesn't let the Pokewalker one back on the cartridge.

Wouldn't more peple have found out by now? I've heard people say this but I always put it down to a fault in the Pokéwalker or something.

It would really help to know what causes this. My guess is it relies upon disrupting communication between cart and walker at the right point.
That's what I'm going to try, kinda like the old link cable cheat.

I heard a similar story about someone who had a put a Pupitar in the Pokewalker and when they took it out, it stayed in the Pokewalker as well and they kept getting Pupitars. This has never happened to me, but I usually don't play HG while a Pokemon is in the Pokewalker anyway.

Wouldn't more peple have found out by now?
Think about how long it was before the Mew Glitch was discovered.

OK, the internet's bigger now so information travels more easily. But still, it's been a less than a month since the US release, and only about 6 since the Japanese one. Quite possibly there are glitches yet to be found.

People are only now questioning whether or not you can actually pass on 2 IVs with the Power Items or not and the Transform+Rage glitch was just discovered, so it's quite possible that this glitch has gone unnoticed.

Wow...wow...what Mew glitch and what Transform+Rage glitch and what are the many glitches in HGSS that's more than 3rd and 4th gen combined? I'm totally missing out on all this info.

Have you managed to put Ursaring back on the game cartridge? I mean, it details in the instruction book how you can have the same Pokémon on your cartridge and in the Pokéwalker (page 53).

I don't know exactly how it works, but since the Pokemon that is on the Pokewalker is also on the PC, you could transfer it to a friend or something like that then get the Pokemon on the Pokewalker back on the cartridge. I think that might work. My friend tested it and told me it works, but you guys should try it out yourselves just to make sure.

People are only now questioning whether or not you can actually pass on 2 IVs with the Power Items or not and the Transform+Rage glitch was just discovered, so it's quite possible that this glitch has gone unnoticed.
What is the transform and rage glitch?

No, it's not that. I didn't do that button combination on the Pokewalker screen. I transferred my Ursaring to the Pokewalker and when i played the game afterwards, i found it on the PC.

What is the transform and rage glitch?
I think Odinwolf covered everything.

Odinwolf said:
I spotted this on another forum and I thought I'd bring it up here to see how the Smogon community feels about it. In HG/SS, a user of Transform that transforms into a pokemon with the move "Rage" and then burns up the PP before the battle is over seems to keep the new moveset after the battle is over.

Considering Smeargle can Sketch any move, this means that Mew and Ditto can now learn ANY move in the game. Draco Meteor Mew ftw?

What makes this a little worse is that Mimic works on Transform. So using a double battle and some crazy shenanigans, you can use the mimic/transform combo to get any move onto:

Jigglypuff, Mr. Mime, Mime Jr., Sudowoodo, Bonsly, & Chatot

But that's just for 4th Gen native Pokemon. If you go back to Gen3, Mimic was a move tutor to nearly the entire pokedex. Check this link for the complete list. So pokemon captured in Gen3 who are tutored Mimic can be PalParked up to HGSS, mimic transform, transform into a Smeargle with any move he's sketched and legitimately, within the mechanics of the cartridges, have just about anything they want for competition.

So just for giggles we might see some:

• Ninjask with Spore and Super Fang
  • Zapdos with Ice Beam
  • Kyogre with Recover and/or Tail Glow
  • Shedinja with Pain Split
  • Snorlax with ExtremeSpeed (useful and hilarious)
and any number of crazy sets you can think of. I think its pretty obvious this is game-breaking and probably won't be allowed on Shoddy, but I wonder how Nintendo would handle something like this at their VGC events? You aren't using a cheat-device to get these moves on your poke, just the mechanics Game Freak put into the game using some unexpected, if convoluted tricks to make it happen.

On the plus side, if it was allowed, pretty much EVERYTHING would get Rapid Spin now. Wouldn't that be fantastic? To be perfectly honest, I don't think any of the pokemon that could do this WITHOUT the tutor from 3rd gen are that dangerous anyways, so even if it is banned, I would love to see an exception allowed for 4th Gen Pokemon only to use it. That would give us just a few new tools to work with, but wouldn't be game breaking at all. Mew would probably become more powerful in the Ubers game, but would Wigglytuff suddenly go into suspect testing with any move at its disposal? What do you guys think?

edit - I should note I haven't tested the Mimic/Transform thing myself yet, so I'm not sure if its a legitimate concern. If somehow the glitch doesn't work when you Mimic Transform, then this would be an almost negligible difference. Ditto probably still wouldn't be OU and Mew could just beast in Ubers, which is a ban tier anyways. Updates to come if I can verify a test on the Mimic trick.
Note: Don't make a thread about this. Atleast two have already been locked.

Edit: @ Proboscedia: Here's the Mew Glitch.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

I sent a Pokemon to the Pokewalker. When it reached the Pokewalker, I powered off the DS. Upon resuming the game, I was told my save file was corrupt and the backup would be loaded. The Pokemon I sent to the Pokewalker was still in my PC.

But when I attempted to have my Pokemon return from the Pokewalker, it was released into the wild :-( Seems the game detects it.

I'm going to carry on trying stuff.

EDIT: @jokey665 - VGC (Video Game Championships, Nintendo's official Pokemon tournament) has adopted a rule specifying how Pokemon must learn moves, making any 'glitch' methods unusable. (The letter of the rules may have a loophole allowing normally-illegal combinations, but it's likely you would get DQ'd for them also)

Then, why don't you try transferring it to another game, or putting it up on the GTS or something? It might work. I'll have to ask my friend how he did it. I'll have his response here as soon as possible.

Oh, and I didn't turn it off when the Ursaring reached the Pokewalker. I left everything running as it normally would. I repeat, i did not turn off the DS.

Turning the power off a bit sooner avoided the corrupted save file error, but still didn't allow me to get a duplicate Pokemon. I also tried moving the box Pokemon into my party, but still, the version on the Pokewalker gets released.

Gonna try GTS next.

Note that I'm not necessarily trying to reproduce exactly what you did. Simply trying stuff out.

It's also possible we're barking up the wrong tree, and the Pokewalker is actually unrelated to the duplication you got.

Know what? You might be right. We might be overlooking something...but i'll ask my friend. He told me it worked for him, so he must have some answers.

Hmm, this could be interesting...It might be the whole connection thing, like Cantab said. Maybe the really small infrared receiver in the cartridge is buggy, and so that's why it wasn't found in Japan? Not really sure, just spitballing here.

GTSing doesn't work.

I'm forming more ideas about how the Pokewalker works. The cartridge keeps track of what Pokemon you have in the Pokewalker - try to return a Pokemon it doesn't think you have, and that Pokemon gets dropped. So I don't think powering off when you send the Pokemon to the Pokewalker will help, and indeed, you say you didn't do that.

I'm pretty sure a consequence of the Transform/Rage glitch would be that illegal egg move combinations no longer exist: There was a glitch in the early Japanese version of DP where if Ditto used Transform and then fainted in battle, it would keep its moves (but would return to a Ditto). You could then breed the Ditto was a Pokemon and if one of Ditto's moves was an egg move of Ditto's mate, the move would get passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)