ORAS Doubles OU Hi I'm new :)

*Updated*

Sup?

This is my first time doing anything like this, and I'm not the best at this game, but I put together a team I'm having a little success with and would love for some input on making it better.

I originally wanted a Dark>Bug>Psychic core but ended up deciding on a defensive Dark>Psychic>Fighting tri-core.

E
xcadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atc / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
- S
words Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I wanted to start this team off with Cresselia due to some successful experimentation with it. I love how sturdy it is, yet looks like a colorful origami duck(lol). I've used it as a Toxic stall to whither down opponents and recover as damaged, then attacking when necessary.

L
andorus-T(couldn't find therian sprite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- E
arthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Knock Off

My second choice for my team I decided to use Terrakion. It's the only offensive poke I planned to add to the team to both sweep up remains, and counter the dark types that could whither Cressilia down. I don't have a lot of experience using him yet, but seemed like an appropriate broom for my team.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- R
ock Slide
- Crunch
-
Protect
Originally being Sableye, I just didn't like having a status poke with only one attack to cover Terrakion on switch-ins and etc. Still pretty sturdy defensively, yet can still do some damage alongside Terrakion. Especially seeing how he's 1/2 Rock as well, Sand Stream wont whither him down, but slowly damage the opponents even more.

Heatran - Leftovers
Ability: F
lash Fire
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Spa / 4 SpD
- H
eat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect
Knowing I still had some typing gaps to cover, the best poke I saw fit for my 4th place was Heatran. Applying him to resist Fire, Ice, Grass, and Fairy was a must-do, leaving me open to more creative additions on my next pokes. I also decided to add on Leftovers to him (previously on Cresselia). Thought it would be more beneficial on him since Cresselia has Moonlight.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

I threw Rotom on simply because I didn't have any water coverage. Having access to Will-O-Wisp was one of my first thoughts when starting this team, but just had trouble finding somewhere to put. Rotom solved 2 small issues I had.

Amoongus @ Rocky Helm
Ability: Regen
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- S
pore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore
I've always liked Venusaur, and when I noticed my weakest coverages were Grass, and Water, I had to go with him. One, being his defensive build, and Two, I haven't bread any other grass types yet (lol). But I've always loved the Drain-Seed setup with this poke. I was originally going to give him a Life Orb, but decided to give him access to Mega due my extra paranoia with T-Tars 4x weakness to fighting types.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first team I've completely formed together on my own. Before I use to find successful teams, and tweak them accordingly. But that's no fun. Seeking the extra fulfillment of making this team from scratch, I'm very interested on opinions and things I might not have caught/realized.

Thanks for the read/inputs!

Last edited:
Choice Band Protect = Nice move. -.- Just use Focus Sash cause Terrakion is frail. Better: ScarfLando-T over Terrakion because you need outside speed aside from Excadrill in sand.

Instead of SR Heatran because you have a ton of good ways to deal with Talon and Zard Y in general, use the Substitute Heatran set. It gives you generally great match ups versus anything you'd face.

2 Megas never work in DOU. I highly recommend changing Venusaur to Rocky Helmet Amoonguss. It helps as your secondary Water switch in and a great physical answer.

Change Rotom-w's Volt Switch to Protect. And also check Smogon's DOU wash analysis for more details about SpDef Rotom.

DO: Use Dragon dance-Rock Slide-Crunch-Protect on Tyranitar. Also, Excadrill over Cress cause Moonlight is pointless with Sand up and it is better as a TR setter. Excadrill provides necessary speed for Sand and helps your fast match ups versus fast threats like Deoxys A and Skymin.

Choice Band Protect = Nice move. -.- Just use Focus Sash cause Terrakion is frail. Better: ScarfLando-T over Terrakion because you need outside speed aside from Excadrill in sand.

Instead of SR Heatran because you have a ton of good ways to deal with Talon and Zard Y in general, use the Substitute Heatran set. It gives you generally great match ups versus anything you'd face.

2 Megas never work in DOU. I highly recommend changing Venusaur to Rocky Helmet Amoonguss. It helps as your secondary Water switch in and a great physical answer.

Change Rotom-w's Volt Switch to Protect. And also check Smogon's DOU wash analysis for more details about SpDef Rotom.

DO: Use Dragon dance-Rock Slide-Crunch-Protect on Tyranitar. Also, Excadrill over Cress cause Moonlight is pointless with Sand up and it is better as a TR setter. Excadrill provides necessary speed for Sand and helps your fast match ups versus fast threats like Deoxys A and Skymin.
Ok awesome! Thanks for the feedback. And yeah I kept rearranging things and didn't notice the band/protect lol. I have a second shiny heatran bred with the substitute build, as well as ddance T-tar, so the only one I have to breed is amoongus.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi there zacalan, this might be a somewhat late response but I'm going to try and help you out here!

as a first glance over your team, I recommend you'd use something that resists water again, even if you have amoonguss and rotom-wash, you have a hard time vs pokemons such as ludicolo, a dragon type such as kyurem-black could be nice but then your team would be quite weak to fighting-types.
however, it already kinda is weak to water/fighting types, maybe use Latios over Excadrill/Landorus-Therian?

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

I recommend you using it over Excadrill so you're removing a part of your Fighting weakness, also Excadrill is quite underwhelming in my opinion and Swords Dance doesn't work well, if you want to keep Excadrill then use Protect over Swords Dance because Protect is just so damn important. Also you might want to consider Focus Sash over Life Orb considering Excadrill is really frail and dies to every single breeze.

This is a Landorus-Therian sprite for you;

link: http://www.pokestadium.com/sprites/black-white/landorus-therian.png

Landorus-Therian is a great Pokémon but in my opinion you are likely better off with running either Choice Scarf or Bulky Landorus-Therian, those sets generally outclass Choice Band, here are the sets in the hide tags:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

You can also use 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def if you want a more speedy Landorus-Therian, but this spread lives a +1 Bisharp Sucker Punch, which might be useful because you can usually directly beat it with Superpower. Superpower deals tons of damage versus Kangaskhan too, which is a noticeable threat in the meta. Earthquake and Rock Slide are self-explanatory.
I chose U-Turn over Knock Off because you already have Dark-type coverage (Crunch on Tyranitar) and U-Turn is a great move for spreading Intimidates into your opponents team as well as doing noticeable damage, considering Landorus is a heavy hitter. Also Hoopa is in the meta now so you can hit it with U-Turn (even though you hit it with like 6 other moves)

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 132 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

If you want more information on this set I recommend you'd check out this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/landorus-t-bulky-attacker-qc-0-3.3537003/

On Tyranitar, I feel like your spread and nature are completely wrong,
I recommend using a 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def spread, which just allows you to hit much harder, even though I'm sure there are some people that have created a bulkier spread for Tyranitar, I think it's your best bad to just use it like this together with a Jolly nature. For the rest Tyranitar seems like a good Pokémon!

Heatran is looking good, but you might be looking to use Shuca Berry or Air Balloon over Leftovers because Shuca Berry and Air Balloon temporarily negate your crazy weakness to Ground-type attacks.
Also use 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spe with a Modest nature, this outspeeds Bisharp so you can KO it with Heat Wave or Earth Power.

Use the following spread on Rotom-Wash: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD with a Modest nature.
"With this EV spread, Rotom-W always survives Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out into Return, survives two Mega Metagross Zen Headbutts 99.6% of the time, and survives two Amoonguss Giga Drains 99.6% of the time."
Also I generally recommend using Protect over Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, and Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp.

Amoonguss looks cool but please use Rage Powder over Stun Spore, Rage Powder is a few million times better at redirecting attacks, which can be saving games for you.

Also, you should fix the descriptions and the formatting, reading over a huge complete link looks fairly ugly, also your descriptions aren't fitting to the Pokémon anymore.

Anyway, I hope you can get some use out of this team rate, and if you have more questions you can always join the the Smogon Doubles room so we can help you out even more ;)

~nyu!

hey zacalan!
I have to agree with Meloetta<3 's spreads on ttar, heatran, and rotom-w. Most doubles players don't think Tyranitar is useful enough to merit its use unless you are running max spe max atk dragon dance (this also means taking off stealth rocks, but don't worry, stealth rocks are almost never used in doubles as the games are not long enough for them to do enough damage.) also on almost all bulky mons it is better to fully invest into HP before going into either defense.

Lots of people like the 252 hp/184 def/72 sdef sassy amoonguss spread. i don't know the benchmarks off-hand, but it is bulkier than the one you are currently running by a fair margin.

also even if you choose not to use meloettaaa's Heatran spread you should change all Defense EVs to HP because it just gives you defensive bulk AND special defense bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)