1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Hidden Potential - An OU SmashPass RMT.

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Derpinator, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Derpinator

Derpinator

HIDDEN POTENTIAL

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction/Background

This team started off as one passer and 5 receivers, with Gorebyss passing the boosts and Metagross, Landorus, Jellicent, Salamence and Magnezone receiving them. The team had limited success, sweeping away any team that lacked a Taunt or Whirlwind/Roar user. Also, Trick users easily crippled Gorebyss by passing it Choice items, rendering it useless. To make it worse, the rest of the team failed to succeed if they received no boost since all that held them together was wide coverage and huge offensive stats. Without Speed boosts, they were easily run to the ground. So, I decided to add in another SmashPasser, Huntail. This remedied the situation to some extent, allowing me to better handle Trick users and those untimely crits. However, the problem of Taunt users still loomed and the rest of the team fuctioned even worse now, having less coverage due to the replacing of a team member. I shuffled some Pokemon in and out, hoping to find a golden combination that could fend for itself. It never came. When that hit me, I decided that I needed to limit the number of receivers while adding in Pokemon that could sweep/function without Shell Smash boosts. They needed to be able to do away with threats that would stop a Baton Pass. After extensive testing and experimenting, I came up with this team. It has worked beautifully so far, having few losses. Most of the losses were due to either extreme hax or misplays by me, mostly the latter. So, here is my team and I hope you enjoy it!

The Team

[​IMG]

UglyPugly (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rock

Landorus-T functions as an effective lead, usually getting rid of anything that could be threatening to Gorebyss. Also, it can set up a bit after doing its job, aiding the rest of the team by breaking Sashes that could be a potential problem later on. Apart from that, Landorus-T can function as a receiver, since it has relatively nice synergy with Gorebyss and has an enormous Attack stat, which becomes even more devastating after a Shell Smash boost. Another function that Landorus-T serves is Intimidate support, encouraging switch outs from the likes of Garchomp since its sweeping capabilities are significantly reduced after Intimidate.
    Earthquake is Landorus-T's primary attacking move, receiving STAB, making it even more deadly if it receives boosts. Stone Edge allows for coverage against Flying-types that may switch into a predicted Earthquake. U-turn, usually only used when Landorus-T leads, allows for decent damage with the exit, being useful in weakening the opponent for the switch in. Stealth Rock is key in this set, breaking Sashes and Sturdy, which would otherwise negate a OHKO and possibly dispose of accumulated stats.
    This EV spread has one main purpose in goal: making Landorus bulky. This spread boosts both HP and Def so as to allow Landorus-T to take neutral priority moves that are common, such as Bullet Punch from Scizor. Some EVs are given to Attack to allow Landorus-T to deal decent damage when it does.

[​IMG]

Humanitarian (Politoed) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Encore

Politoed mainly aims at winning weather wars, so as to cripple Chlorophyll abusers who could completely run through my team. Also, Politoed helps offset Genesect's Fire-type weakness and activate Gorebyss's Hydration, if need be. Apart from that, Politoed can function as a wall/stall of sorts, with its bulk.
    Scald is Politoed's primary attacking move, due to its STAB bonus, rain boost and burn chance. Ice Beam allows for coverage against Grass-types, such as Venusaur, and Flying-type threats, such as the Kami trio. Toxic helps prompt switch outs, especially against Pokemon crucial in my opponent's strategy, such as weather setters, allowing for more abuse of entry hazards. Finally, Encore is a great way to destroy Pokemon that rely on set up, such as Rock Polish Genesect trying to sneak in an extra Speed boost or other boosters who think they can sneak a final boost in.
    The EV spread aims to maximize Politoed's Special bulk, allowing it to avoid OHKOs that would otherwise be common. To aid in this, Politoed's HP is maximized so that it can compliment the Special bulk and work together with it to prevent OHKOs. The final tidbits were given to Defence, allowing for a little bit more resistance to Physical attacks that would be super effective.

[​IMG]

Fish out of Water (Gorebyss) @ White Herb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute

Now we come to the heart of the team, the SmashPasser. Gorebyss carries the most weight in this whole team as it can decide the match if it can successfully pass a Shell Smash boost, minus the negatives, to a suitable sweeper. I chose Gorebyss over Huntail or Smeargle because it’s ability, Hydration, allowed it to take advantage of the ever so common Rain teams, while the others had practically useless abilities. Also, Gorebyss isn’t weak to any of the priority moves out there, while Smeargle falls to a Mach Punch, partially due to its fraility.
    Shell Smash and Baton Pass are practically self explanatory on Gorebyss, being the reason its even here. Substitute, on the other hand, is less obvious. It is mainly on here because, if successfully set up, it allows Gorebyss to block many nuisances, such as Leech Seed, Thunder Wave and Toxic. Also, if passed through Baton Pass, it protects the receiver of the boosts from taking damage upon entrance. Surf allows Gorebyss to not be completely destroyed by Taunt and it allows Gorebyss to do away with some threats after using Shell Smash, such as Heatran, so that Genesect, for example, can come out safely.
    The EV spread maximizes Gorebyss’s HP while increasing its Speed to a level that allows it to outrun certain threats, so that it can pass boosts after accumulating them. The remaining EVs are contributed to Special Defense, providing a small amount of resistance.

[​IMG]

PseudoLegend (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake
    - ExtremeSpeed

Dragonite is the first receiver of boosts passed by Gorebyss and it is the only true physical attacker doing so. Dragonite will only receive the boosts in the presence of Dragon-types that Genesect probably couldn’t OHKO or in the presence of Sash carriers that could OHKO the other two receivers.
    Dragon Claw is the main STAB move in this set, dealing huge damage, even when hitting for neutral damage. Fire Punch is reserved for Steel-types such as Forretress, Genesect and Scizor, all who Dragonite outruns after receiving boosts. Earthquake remains for Electric-types, such as Jolteon, and Heatran. Finally, Extremespeed was an iffy choice. First, it was Dragon Dance but, after seeing that Shell Smash boosts were good enough, I through in Extremespeed. It is extremely useful in cleaning up Focus Sashes, especially Cloyster.
    The EV spread maximizes Dragonite’s Speed, so that it can outrun the likes of Genesect after receiving Shell Smash boosts from Gorebyss. Next, I maximized Dragonite’s Attack to the extent that it could be without receiving the nature boost. The rest of the EVs went into boosting Dragonite’s Special Defense so that it can help in those risky situations.

[​IMG]

PrettyKitty (Espeon) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Stored Power
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Espeon is probably the best receivers out of all three, mainly due to its moveset capabilties and its devastating power and speed. It provides good coverage, being able to hit anything for at least neutral damage, and hitting them hard when it does.
    Stored Power is Espeon’s first STAB move and its primary move of choice in most situations, having a base power of 140 after receiving one Shell Smash boost. This, boosted further by STAB and its enormous Special Attack, deals devastating damage, even if resisted. Shadow Ball allows Espeon to hit Ghost-types for almost a guaranteed OHKO, especially since most common Ghost-types are frail, such as Gengar. Psyshock is Espeon’s second STAB move and the reason it will be my first choice, in most cases, for receiving boosts. Psyshock enables Espeon to effectively with Blissey, taking advantage of its menial Defense stat. This puts it ahead of Genesect in terms of capabilities while also doing the same with Dragonite since Defensive walls aren’t a problem. Hidden Power Fighting mainly allows for super effective damage against Dark- and Steel-types, the latter of which is common nowadays.
    The EV spread allows Espeon to run maximum Speed, putting it far ahead of most Choice Scarf users after receiving Baton Pass boosts while also keeping it ahead of most non-Scarfed Pokemon without the boosts. The other chunk of EVs goes towards boosting Espeon’s Special Attack while the last bit aims to boost its Special Defense a bit.

[​IMG]

Genocide (Genesect) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    Timid Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam

The final receiver, and my most favorite one, is Genesect. Almost everyone is aware of the devastation it causes with a Choice Scarf and, to a mildly lesser extent, Life Orb or Choice Scarf. But, the sheer destruction it causes with 2x Special Attack and Expert Belt. On top of that Genesect no longer has to rely on Download to aid it in its rampage, elimination uncertainty and selective switching sincea Download is now only a bit of frosting on the grand cake of the destruction. To put the cherry on top, Genesect outruns max Speed Scarfed Genesect since they only get a 1.5x Speed boost versus Shell Smash’s 2x Speed boost.
    Bug Buzz provides Genesect with a STAB move that hits for neutral damage. Although it doesn’t receive an Expert Belt boost, it still does devastating damage thanks to Genesect boosted Special Attack. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam form the lovely BoltBeam combo, providing extensive coverage, putting Expert Belt to good use. Flamethrower makes a nice addition, putting opposing Steel-types to rest.
    Genesect’s EV spread maximizes its Speed, mainly to outrun Scarfed Pokemon originally faster than it. Also, this allows it to outrun most other Genesect in the case that it has to function without boosts. The rest of the EVs go toward Genesect’s immense Special Attack and the last tidbit of 4 EVs go toward its Special Defense.

[​IMG]Thanks for reading and, if you liked it or want to use it, please leave me a Luvdisc![​IMG]

Importable:
    Show Hide

UglyPugly (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rock

Humanitarian (Politoed) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Encore

Fish out of Water (Gorebyss) @ White Herb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute

PseudoLegend (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake
    - ExtremeSpeed

PrettyKitty (Espeon) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    Timid Nature
    - Stored Power
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Genocide (Genesect) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    Timid Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
  2. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude based wooper #dealwithit
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey man nice looking team!

Ok so the main flaw i see with this team is the lack of the move Stealth Rock. Although you do have Magic Bounce Espeon, You are not always garunteed to bounce back your opponents Stealth Rock attempts. Especially seeings as Espeon has rather middling bulk and is one of your sweepers you would much rather keep Espeon for later on in the game then to contiously send it out to bounce status moves. Stealth Rock is absolutely vital on any competitive team due to it breaking Dragonites Multiscale and halving Volcarona's health.

To help give your team a user of Stealth Rock i suggest Landorus-T>Landorus Landorus-T not only provides your team with an excellent user of Stealth Rock but also an excellent smash pass receiver. Landorus-T has a massive base 145 attack that is made even more deadly after a smash pass. Landorus-T also appreciates the boost in speed to let it outspeed the whole unboosted metagame. You dont lose to much without Landorus-I after all they share the same typing and similar movepool and they are both good recievers of a Smash Pass bu Landorus-T has acces to Stealth Rock setting it apart.

With this change you are without a Choice Scarf user. This can be easily fixed by running Choice Scarf>Expert Belt on Genesect. Genesect is arguably the best revenge killer in the tier due to its great coverage and ability Download. Choice Scarf Genesect still makes a good smash pass reciever as well. Obviously with this change goes U-Turn>Bug Buzz which is useful for scouting and switching into Goreabyss freely after Genesect revenge kills something. To make sure the power of U-turn is not decreased Naive>Timid is the prefered nature still giving you a boost in speed. Yet it doesn't lowen the attack stat.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Landorus-T @ Leftovers | Intimidate
    Adamant | 164 Hp / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
    Stealth Rock | Stone Edge | Earthqauke | U-turn

Tl;dr
    Show Hide

Landorus-T--->Landorus

Genesect
    .Choice Scarf Set--->Expert Belt Set

~Superpowerdude
  3. Derpinator

Derpinator

Thanks for the rate, I will definitely try them out. These changes to seem to cause a strategy change regarding the non-receivers part of the team. Landorus-T doesn't seem to affect the team to much, in terms of the negative, but replacing the Scarf spot with Genesect seems to make it so I can't switch into Scizor since they share their only weakness. However, I will definitely try it out since things don't work as they seem on paper.
  4. Mizuhime

Mizuhime We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hi, thought I don't like the strategy of smash pass it can be somewhat viable, the lack of rocks is the main problem here. Terrakion can be one of the best stealthrock users in the metagame if you do so correctly. Terrakion forces many switches and find many opportunities to set them up. The set I suggest that you use is

Terrakion @ focus sash
    Justified 252 attack/252 speed 4 hp
    ~stealth rocks
    ~close combat
    ~stone edge
    ~ x scissor/quick attack/ earthquake

Terrkaion will allow you to get rocks up, and still allow you have a fear sweeper even without receiving a smash pass. Hope this helps
  5. Derpinator

Derpinator

Thank you, I will give it a try for sure, just need to find somewhere to put him.
  6. EnterRAYZORS

EnterRAYZORS

You asked for a rate, and here I am :D

I second SPD with the Lando T > Lando I. Lando-T hits harder than Lando-I without sandstorm support. Aswell as Lando T offering Stealth Rock support, as the lack of Rocks (best move in the game) really hurts your team.
    Genesect is also (imo) the best scarf user in the meta. So scarf > Ebelt would again be a solid move. (uturn > bug buzz)
    With the lack of weather your team can struggle against powerfull abusers. Especially sun, as sun teams (from past experience run through weatherless teams)
    To render this, i seriously recomend a politoed. (Over Scizor) politoed aids gorebyss giving it a ridiculous STAB waterfall after a shell smash. Giving it more offensive potential before being forced to pass to the next abuser.

The sets:
    Politoed @ leftovers
    252 hp 252 spdef 4 hp
    Surf
    Ice beam
    Toxic
    Protect

Or

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
    Timid
    252 Spattack / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
    Surf
    ice Beam
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power Grass

(If you do the second set, id keep ebelt on gene. Scarf toed is formidable with a shell smash aswell as ebelt genesect is just godlike)

Hope this helps
  7. Derpinator

Derpinator

Thank you so much! That os exactly what I was looking for because, after intook out Landorus, Scizor wasn't working and I no longer had a fast counter to sun teams. This Gould work very well, thank you everybody!

Updated the team, thanks so much for the comments! Politoed and Landorus work great together, taking a lot of pressure off of Gorebyss, as shown by the fact that Gorebyss was used 2 out of 5 times that I tested this new duo!
  8. Electrolyte

Electrolyte The Great Stone Dragon
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hey, I got your request.

Smash Pass is a cool strategy, and since you're not using Smeargle you earned yourself a luvdisc. I think you can make a big improvement to your team by making Politoed SpDef- and here's why. SpD Politoed is awesome because it can work with Landorus to help set up the stage for Gorebyss. As Lando leads the show with Rocks, maybe a forced switch, and a slow U-Turn, Politoed will come in to set Rain, which will get your weather up nicely especially since Lando-T repels Ninetales/Ttar very well. From there, Politoed can spread Toxic, burns from Scald, and just general annoyingness. Politoed's typing and function are vital to your team- as not only does it bring Rain, but also hazard setters like Ferrothorn or Forretress, which Politoed can trap with Encore, opening up a chance for Gorebyss to come in and set up. Politoed's Encore also helps against opposing set up sweepers- giving you time to kill, set up yourself, or cripple. Politoed's special bulk will also be useful, allowing it to sponge hits and form a defensive core with Lando-T.

Speaking of Landorus-T, I think his evs can be tweaked to maximum efficiency. I suggest you run bulky Lando- who has a lot of physical bulk to aid your team, take hits, and hit hard. A spread of 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def Adamant will probably work best. Coming in, it takes very little from CB Bullent Punches, as well as most physical attacks for that matter. Intimidate increases Lando's bulk by a lot, and with added evs in defense many physical attacks will fail to even 2HKO you. That gives you plenty of time to set your rocks up, possibly counter with a powerful EQ, or U-Turn out, and use your lower speed to bring in a teammate safely.

You could also try Rest over Surf on Gorebyss to use your Hydration and heal yourself up for more passing. However, that will leave you a bit weak to Taunt (even if your Surfs won't be doing much anway.) It's definitely worth trying, though, and I heavily encourage it.

Cool team! Good luck!

set (open)

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Calm / 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Scald / Toxic / Encore / Ice Beam
  9. Derpinator

Derpinator

Thank you so much for the help! The Specially Defensive Politoed sounds like a great idea and, right after dinner, I'll update it. Also, I like that Landorus idea, seems to hold potential, even if it does a bit of cutting back on its offensive power. After dinner, I will update it! Thank you again!
  10. Derpinator

Derpinator

Bump of the day

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)