Hidden Type

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Electric Dragonite might be cool with Thunder Punch maybe? Electric on any flying-type has practically no downside (I guess in Gravity, and vs Smack Down and Thousand Arrows, but those are pretty rare especially the last one being unreleased ;P). It also provides a nifty Flying resist, paralysis immunity, and STAB on Thunder Punch to smack around some of the common sub Flying-types (I'm looking at you, Mr. Tran). I wish Thunder Punch was a bit stronger, but this is still a neat typing imo for it. Obviously Steel has it's advantages, but Electric might be worth a try.
I've nailed more Heatrans than I can count with HP Electric Tini. OHKO before it can even set rocks.

STAB Bolt Strike with a Choice Band gives Victini a back up form of nuking stuff, but HP Ground Gyarados gives it a hard time.

That's why I run HP Grass Victini with Energy Ball + Life Orb. Lures out annoying mons like Gliscor and Gyarados and destroys them, while also removing some weaknesses in ground + water

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I have noticed that this meta is a nesting ground for set-up sweepers benefiting from type immunities. Most TTar and Bisharp get the OHKO from Pangoro and then most people say "dude wtf?, it was ghost type" LOL

Manaphy with Heart Swap and some T-Wave support shuts down almost every set-up sweeper.

Porygon line gets a big buff with HP Ghost trading the less common fighting moves for the more easily scouted Knock Off or Sucker Punch to smoothly bring in a counter.

This meta is fun, especially when people playing with teams consiting of 4/5 set-up sweepers rage quit because they catch the heart swap or get roared out.

Last edited:
Porygon line gets a big buff with HP Ghost trading the less common fighting moves for the more easily scouted Knock Off or Sucker Punch to more smoothly bring in a counter.
I kind of disagree, because getting hit with Knock Off makes tons of Pokemon unhappy, even if they resist it, and Knock Off removing an item hits only slightly less hard than Earthquake. It's no Close Combat, but I often find that, barring certain Megas, Knock Off is a safe choice whether the enemy stays in or switches, regardless of what they might switch to.

To be fair, I also don't use Fighting moves much in this meta myself. Too easy for things to be immune.

I have noticed that this meta is a nesting ground for set-up sweepers benefiting from type immunities.
I think immunities help but the big thing is that you can take something bulky with major weaknesses and then be fairly confident nothing will KO it on the turn it sets up because you've removed or reduced several weaknesses. Tyranitar normally has to fear random Brick Breaks from off-STAB attackers instantly KOing it, for example. Even just adding Flying to it lets it set up in the face of random Brick Breakers, no immunity needed.

Most TTar and Bisharp get the OHKO from Pangoro and then most people say "dude wtf?, it was ghost type" LOL
Oh man that's fantastic.

Porygon line gets a big buff with HP Ghost trading the less common fighting moves for the more easily scouted Knock Off or Sucker Punch to smoothly bring in a counter.
While I have no gripe with Ghost/Normal Porygon-2 since Normal really has nothing better to add than Ghost (Pure normal and normal/fairy are better types for both Pory-2 and Chansey to dodge the pursuit weakness though sadly both of them are illegal.) to be honest I think Normal/Ghost Porygon-Z is a pretty bad typing for it. Normal/Dark, while adding a few weaknesses, gives it ridiculous wallbreaking power. Normal/Dark, oddly enough, has a very sparse pool of resists this generation, and Adaptability Dark Pulse allows it to break standard Chansey and pretty much everything else:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 304-360 (47.3 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Dark Pulse or Tri Attack vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 272-320 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Dark Pulse or Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Steel Type Clefable: 160-189 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not to mention Dark Pulse has a fucking annoying 20% flinch rate while Shadow Ball only has a lame 10% chance to lower SpD.

Alongside Kyurem-B and Crawdaunt this thing is one of the fiercest wall breakers in the metagame, and I find it kind of sad that so much of its potential is being wasted in the Normal/Ghost variant which is complete Chans bait. I know I certainly wouldn't have been able to manage 24-0 on the ladder if I had seen these instead of their ghost-type counterparts, anyway.

Last edited:
While I have tno gripe with Ghost/Normal Porygon-2 since Normal really has nothing better to add than Ghost (Pure normal and normal/fairy are better types for both Pory-2 and Chansey to dodge the pursuit weakness though sadly both of them are illegal.) to be honest I think Normal/Ghost Porygon-Z is a pretty bad typing for it. Normal/Dark, while adding a few weaknesses, gives it ridiculous wallbreaking power. Normal/Dark, oddly enough, has a very sparse pool of resists this generation, and Adaptability Dark Pulse allows it to break standard Chansey and pretty much everything else:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 304-360 (47.3 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Dark Pulse or Tri Attack vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 272-320 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Dark Pulse or Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Steel Type Clefable: 160-189 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not to mention Dark Pulse has a fucking annoying 20% flinch rate while Shadow Ball only has a lame 10% chance to lower SpD.

Alongside Kyurem-B and Crawdaunt this thing is one of the fiercest wall breakers in the metagame, and I find it kind of sad that so much of its potential is being wasted in the Normal/Ghost variant which is complete Chans bait. I know I certainly wouldn't have been able to manage 24-0 on the ladder if I had seen these instead of their ghost-type counterparts, anyway.
just gonna say that clefable resists dark pulse.

Grass Type Power Herb Solarbeam Moltres is certainly not what I expected to face on my first HT ladder match.
You should expect to see this kind of shit on the lower ladder for any meta. I don't think there are many players on the ladder who are really trying to be good at this. I've run in to a few players who don't know what the hell this meta is about. I get surprised when I see a team which is actually good on the ladder.

Notwithstanding the terrible hax I've had on the ladder (Read: Togekiss flinch-killing my Heatran, Will-O-Wisp missing thrice in a row etc.,) one thing I noticed is the lack of Special Walls and how Specially Offensive mons are very hard to contain. Try them out. You'll be surprised.

Status update: The ladder is suddenly competent. Hooray!

Taunt over Shadow Ball on Gardevoir: Working fantastically. Only once have I felt like Shadow Ball would've been nice. My only problem with the change is that I kept forgetting I'd changed my moves and doing things I didn't mean to do for the first ten or so matches.

Slowbro: Abandoned. Probably in part because I made my team known publicly, I've suddenly found everyone picking on my Ground weakness extensively. Landorus-Incarnate and Nidoking in particular were basically able to sweep my entire team given half a chance, in part due to my lack of priority and tendency to not be that fast before boosts.

Notwithstanding the terrible hax I've had on the ladder (Read: Togekiss flinch-killing my Heatran, Will-O-Wisp missing thrice in a row etc.,)
My rate of success with Will O Wisp has literally been somewhere between 50% and 66% the entire time I've been laddering. I'm getting to the point of wondering if Showdown is bugged with Will O Wisp, because I've also seen it in other metas and from my opponents too -and meanwhile Focus Blast, with a lower Accuracy, hits more often??

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
After working my way to the top of the ladder under the alt Nybbas, I want to share my sets with everyone.

This is the first time I have ever peaked at number one on any ladder and with a baby due in January it will possibly be the only time.

So here it is:

Aphrodite (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

I am definitely not a hater of the Togekiss and even though this set is built for offensive presence, Togekiss is like a little pocket knife with a whole lot of variety and many functions. The fire typing is great, but hates rocks.

Hermes (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Porygon 2 is a tank. It can easily lure out any generic knock off user to bring in a counter and be rid of that move for the rest of the match.
Between Tri-Attack and Shadow Ball it finally achieves Solid neutral coverage, bar a slight few exceptions. I originally ran T-Wave in the fourth slot, but felt like hax god Togekiss was plenty hax for one team, so ice beam adds a bit more coverage.

Ares (Heatran) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- HP Grass/Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

This set really allows for some good synergy being able to tank the electric attacks that my team would otherwise be somewhat vulnerable to. Assault Vest allows it to tank special hits like a pro and good SpA investment allows it to fire back hard, hitting for at least neutral damage. Hp Grass and Earth Power are a toss up, I prefer HP Grass but Earth Power could be used to hit those vulnerable to ground attacks.

Poseidon (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
- Scald

The Evs for this set allows Manaphy to easily set up. It isn't the easiest thing to take down and with a speed+ nature and full speed investment, it gets the jump on a lot of threats. Between Grass Ball and Burn Surf it has decent coverage just off STABs alone, with the addition of Ice Beam not a whole is safe to switch on this little guy.

Hades (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Crunch

With the whole Knock Off craze in full swing this is my immediate switch in option. Dark typing to add an essential Dark resist. No item to Knock Off so it is only doing 65BP on the switch in and when people switch Bisharp out, free turn to DD. I will admit that Fire/Dark does miss a few things neutrally and does not have ideal coverage, but given one or two DD this thing doesn't care. After being properly set-up it will OHKO any incoming Azu or T-Tar despite resists. I will explain the reason for such little speed investment next.

Zeus (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 SpD
- Defog
- Roost
- Baton Pass
- Agility

This set is what really put this team into overdrive and allowed it to power through everything else.
With the Steel typing it takes neutral damage to everything that is not a fire attack, and also gives it a neat toxic immunity. The Evs allow Zapdos to take almost any neutral attack from either side of the attacking spectrum and maybe even a super effective hit. Before I started running an agility pass set, I had Volt Switch and Toxic in the last two slots. That set was okay, but the offensive presence was so minute that it was basically set up bait. I loved the typing and the suitable bulk so I had a second look at this bird's move pool. This particular set is unbelievably useful. It is taunt bait so careful switching is a good idea. I recommend this set to everyone because it is THAT good. Defog keeps Char and Toge safe. Roost + Pressure laughs at stuff like Hydro Pump or Stone Edge, however scout for EQ/CC users or you will regret it.

Last edited:
Re: Old Greg's team

I will note that the Zapdos it really predictable once you know what it does, making it really easy to set up while it uses Agility and then predict the Baton Pass and mash whatever comes in. It's certainly a neat utility Pokemon, but if it doesn't secure the team's victory first time it's out, or your opponent has fought you before and knows what it does, it's almost a liability to the team.

I can attest that the Manaphy is a bit nightmarish to deal with if it gets properly set up, laughing off most priority and hitting abominably hard on basically anything. Any team with Talonflame can revenge-kill it without effort, though, and Bisharp can push respectable damage through via Sucker Punch, as can any other Sucker Punch user. I haven't seen Pranksters very often in this meta, but they'd also be able to cause it problems -Prankster Thundurus-Incarnate could Thunder Wave it to open the way for another team member to come in and KO it without being outsped and OHKOed, among other Pranksters.

I'm honestly not sure what the Porygon2 adds to the team. If it was Porygon-Z I'd assume it provided no-set-up Special sweeping support, but as is it mostly strikes me as an opportunity for the opponent to set up or get a Knock Off in on a non-Mega Charizard X team member if they've either KOed it or are something Mega Charizard X can't safely switch in on. (eg Fighting Crawdaunt) I suppose it's kind of a screw-you to Shedinja? Even then, it can't touch Dark Shedinja, which is by far the most common variant.

The Heatran's pretty neat, just because a competent opponent is generally used to Thunderbolting/Discharging Flying Heatran for a OHKO or 2HKO, and then this thing is taking less than 1/4th the damage they're expecting it to get off. Just the amount of turns they end up wasting on hitting it, and then possibly being forced to switch because they don't have an answer to Grass Heatran on their supposed counter, can make it worth it to the team.

Togekiss is obnoxious, though honestly my main comment is that you need to work on your decision process with it. We had multiple matches, and you kept doing stuff like Nasty Plotting when you could get a KO, and that let me Dragon Dance and then KO it. Probably an overall solid member of the team though.

Mega Charizard X: Dark is cool stuff.

Now that Hidden Type's time as OMotM has come to an end, I'm posting my stall team which went 28-1 and peaked #1 under my alt testcat (finding people to battle on the ladder was tougher than winning the battles imo) and won a daily tournament while finishing second in another. My only loss on the ladder was to some sun team with Grass / Poison / Fire Venusaur, so I never changed it because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Anyway, here is the team:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD (Ghost)
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is usually a staple on stall teams in any meta, so I decided to start with her. She walls almost every special attacker and doesn't give a shit about Keldeo because of the Ghost typing. The set here is pretty standard with Heal Bell to provide cleric support, Toxic to poison any non-Steel types, and Seismic Toss so she can damage Steel types.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD (Steel)
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 SpD
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash

Fairy / Flying / Steel typing is a godly defensive typing, so I picked Togekiss as my second specially defensive wall to deal with special attackers which Chansey can't deal with, mainly Knock Off Landorus which Togekiss just laughs at. This is the standard paraflinch support set. Togekiss is my hazard remover because I couldn't fit Defog anywhere else. Getting walled by Flying resists can be annoying, but that doesn't stop Togekiss from shining with its amazing defensive typing.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD (Ground)
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

This is just Quagsire without any Hidden Type. I considered adding a Flying type to Quagsire, but I like the SR resist and Quagsire doesn't care that much about Earthquakes anyway. Like in OU, this thing just shits on any Dragonite trying to Dragon Dance (and they were really popular on the ladder). There is nothing really special about the set. Just burn Steel types and Toxic everything else.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA (Water)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Quagsire can handle the set-up sweepers, but Hippowdon is there to take on physical attackers with more immediate power. The Water / Ground typing may seem redundant with Quagsire, but it's only weak to Grass type attacks which can be walled by other members of the team, so Hippowdon and Quagsire work extremely well together in shutting down most physical attackers. Again, there is nothing special about the set. Hippowdon is the best choice to set rocks for my team. Sand Force is the ability even though most of my team is Steel or Ground type because Chansey really hates sand damage. Even though I like Hippowdon, it is probably the first Pokemon on my team which I'd replace if there is a major weakness I need to account for since Hippowdon usually did the least work in my battles.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 SpD (Steel)
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed

Physical Wall #3. It's basically Ferrothorn with Regenerator and a usable Giga Drain. It shuts down Mega Gyarados, Gliscor, and most Leech Seeders. Knock Off is there is be generally annoying and cripple counters of their valuable items. Leech Seed is a good source of residual damage, and Earthquake helps with Fire, Steel, and Poison types. It amazes me how often people try to use Toxic on Tangrowth as if it would have any other Hidden Type besides Steel (or Poison). I considered Poison as the Hidden Type for the Fighting resist, but I like the many resistances the Steel typing provides.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

I wanted a stallbreaker and something which could spread burns as the final member of my team, so Mew was naturally the best choice for me since it has good bulk, reliable recovery, and Knock Off to make it even more annoying. I think Mew is the best Pokemon overall in Hidden Type. Look at the daily tournament replays for Hidden Type. Every winner had Mew on their team. Bad defensive typing is the only real flaw Mew has in OU, and Hidden Type helps it fix that. I didn't change the IVs at all to give Mew a Dark Hidden Type. I like having STAB on Knock Off and fewer weaknesses overall, so that's why I chose it over Steel. The only thing I don't like is the 4x U-turn weakness which cost me in a tournament when I didn't expect the opposing Mew to have U-turn. The Dark type usually confuses people especially when they have a Ground type or Fire type thinking they are going to get a kill only to end up getting burned or losing their item and being walled by Mew.

So that's my team. I think stall was generally the best playstyle on the ladder and tournaments because there wasn't really a development of good offensive threats which could beat stall teams during the month which was sad. I think Hidden Type is one of the better OMs out there, and I hope it doesn't completely die off now that it isn't OMotM anymore.

I think Hidden Type is one of the better OMs out there, and I hope it doesn't completely die off now that it isn't OMotM anymore.
It is still available as a challenge option and we will run tournaments in the OM room.

Now that ORAS is out, what new Mega Evolutions and new level up, tutor, and egg moves will have an impact on Hidden Type?

Fortunately or unfortunately, unlike a majority of other OMs, Hidden Type's viability list is too long. It's practically OU+. It would require participation and (sadly) a ladder that's up for more than just a month.

That aside, what do you guys think about possible viabilities from ORAS? Here is a list of new stuff from ORAS (Aside from the Megas, of course):

Level Up Moves: http://pastebin.com/16baa7Yk

Egg Moves: http://pastebin.com/hzFmncB6

Tutor Moves: http://pastebin.com/8rbu6Fmp

Last edited:

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Pangoro got a buff, for what it's worth. Gunk Shot, Elemental Punches, etc..
Now Pangoro's 4mss is going to be even worse. Yet, it will still be one of the best answers to Ghost type TTar and Bisharp. Although M-Lopunny does everything Pangoro does, except way better.

M-Altaria could be incredible with Steel typing. Only weak to ground if I'm not wrong..

Last edited:
Defensively, the worst existing typing is Electric, since any added type gives it at least one more weakness. (Water gives it a Grass weakness; Bug resists the Ground weakness but gives it Rock and Fire weaknesses; Flying removes the Ground weakness but gives it Rock and Ice weaknesses.)

The typings that can be most improved defensively are:
  • Dark/Grass (Cacturne, Nuzleaf, Shiftry): Add Poison to resist the Bug, Fairy, Fighting and Poison weaknesses. Grass resists Poison's Ground weakness and Dark removes its Psychic weakness.
  • Dragon/Flying (Altaria, Dragonite, Noibat, Noivern, Rayquaza, Salamence): Add Steel to resist the Dragon, Fairy and Rock weaknesses and lower the Ice weakness. Flying removes Steel's Ground weakness and resists its Fighting weakness; Dragon resists its Fire weakness.
  • Fairy/Grass (Cottonee, Whimsicott): Add Steel to resist the Flying, Ice and Steel weaknesses and remove the 4x Poison weakness. Fairy resists Steel's Fighting weakness and Grass resists its Ground weakness, however the Fire weakness is increased to 4x.
Some other interesting typings:
  • Dark/Ghost (Sableye, Spiritomb): Add Poison to change from a Fairy to a Ground weakness.
  • Electric/Flying (Emolga, Rotom-Fan, Thundurus, Zapdos): Add Steel to change from an Ice/Rock to a Fire weakness.
  • Electric/Water (Chinchou, Lanturn, Rotom-Wash): Add Bug to change from a Grass/Ground to a Fire Rock weakness.
  • Other valid single-weakness combinations: Fairy/Normal/Ghost (still weak to Steel), Dragon/Flying/Steel (still somewhat weak to Ice), Bug/Steel/Dragon (still somewhat weak to Fire). (I omitted Dragon/Steel/Fairy and Dark/Ghost/Normal.) Of these, Electric/Water/Bug appears to be the most offensive, as it is super-effective against 76 dual types (not completely relevant here but I haven't done the full calculations).
  • When it's the best type to use, Fire seems to be the most effective third type; on average it reduces the number of weaknesses by two. Steel and Poison are close behind. The list then continues Ghost, Bug, Dark, Water, Grass, Flying, Electric, Fighting, Dragon, Psychic, with Ground bringing up the rear.
Note: these do not take abilities or movesets into account, of course.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)