Highlander Tournament II [ Round 5 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Highlander Tournament I Won by Raseri

prior rounds hosted by Haruno

Introduction:

A few years ago Vinc and Macle decided to have a one on one battle between their respective SPL mascots which were scrafty and toxicroak respectively. A huge amount of work was needed to decide the optimal spreads/movesets for their respective mascots and the battle can be found here. Afterwards they decided to host the first edition of this tour in light of their newfound battling format and after much demand on skype from TGMD to host another one, I've decided to host the second rendition of this tour.

Concept:

The tournament is set up that you pick and post three Pokemon when you sign up for the tournament. You can only pick one of each individual Pokemon, but a different player can have the same Pokemon as you (e.g. you can't have two Alakazam, but someone else can pick Alakazam if you pick it too; also, you can only pick one forme for Pokemon like Rotom). Chosen Pokemon have to be Overused and under; no Ubers are allowed. Each round, every player picks one of their opponent's three Pokemon to battle that round. They PM that choice to me. Once both players have relayed the opposing Pokemon to face in PM, I will declare it in the thread. At that point, both players can start preparing for their match. Picking like this occurs through every round. For simplicity's sake and due to the nature of 1v1 battling causing severe emphasis on megas and how there is no opportunity cost for having a mega, all mega stones are banned.

Also, it'd be awesome if each player kept their designed sets for when they are eliminated. They shouldn't reveal anything about the nature of the battle, but moreso why they prepared that Pokemon in the manner they did for that specific threat. It's cool for onlookers to see the mental process behind this stuff. If you can reveal it in these threads without giving away any of the opponent's strategy, I'm sure our viewers would love to see the sets utilized.

General Tournament Rules:

• General tournament rules and regulations can be found stickied at the top of this forum.
  • Standard OU - 1 vs. 1
  • Generation VI
  • Single Elimination
  • The banlists for this tournament are the same as for the ladders of the Pokemon Showdown. You are absolutely not allowed to use any Pokemon in the Uber metagame unless your initial choice gets banned during the course of the tournament, in which case, they would still be allowed for usage in this tournament.
  • Matches should be conducted on Pokemon Showdown.
  • Private Message user Zebraiken at the beginning of each round which of your opponent's Pokemon you'd like to battle.
  • Do not battle until both you and your opponent have their selection revealed in this thread.
Battle Rules:

• Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • 1 vs. 1
  • No moves that evoke the Self KO Clause. Destiny Bond, Explosion, Final Gambit, Perish Song, Selfdestruct, and other such moves are banned.
  • No Johning whatsoever. I expect all matches to be done within the span of a week or less. You've got one Pokemon, man.
  • All matches will be best of one.
All participants must Private Message me which of their opponent's Pokemon they choose to face. Your battle cannot start until I receive PMs from both participants. I will be updating this post with the selected Pokemon when I receive PMs from both battlers.

EDIT: for my ease of reading, can all participants put their opponent + what mon they'd want to go against in the title? TY
Deadline for PM'ing me the mon you want your opponent to use: Monday March 7 11:59 EST
Deadline for matches: Monday March 14 11:59 EST

Vinc2612 [reuniclus / mew / cresselia] vs FlamingVictini [clefable / mew / reuniclus]
Frizy [jirachi / mew / kyurem-black] vs Moonclawz [lucario / gengar / mew]
Googly [klefki / meloetta / scolipede] vs -Snow [mew / kyurem-black / azumarill]

Last edited:

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ah i did find the actual R4, for some reason it just wasn't in tournaments (and was actually in gay firebot aka the deleted threads section - it now exists here). these were the brackets of Haruno's last R4:

Googly [klefki / meloetta / scolipede] vs TUO [sylveon / togekiss / whimsicott]
Vinc2612 [reuniclus / mew / cresselia] vs TewMew [dragonite / mew / victini]
TheInsanity [dragonite / kyurem-black / mew] vs Frizy [jirachi / mew / kyurem-black]
Chill Shadow [kyurem-black / mew / manaphy] vs Moonclawz [lucario / gengar / mew]
Mysterious M [gengar / whimsicott / talonflame] vs FlamingVictini [clefable / mew / reuniclus]
Zenadark [hoopa-u / alakazam / infernape] vs -Snow [mew / kyurem-black / azumarill]

because TUO gave Googly the win, TheInsanity gave Frizy the win, and TewMew hasn't been on for two months, we'll proceed with R5 instead of R4. same deadlines, but here are the new pairings for Round 5:

Vinc2612 [reuniclus / mew / cresselia] vs FlamingVictini [clefable / mew / reuniclus]
Frizy [jirachi / mew / kyurem-black] vs Moonclawz [lucario / gengar / mew]
Googly [klefki / meloetta / scolipede] vs -Snow [mew / kyurem-black / azumarill]

same deadlines!! and thank you to all of you who pointed out that a R4 did actually exist before. n_n

lastly, if you've already sent your mon, feel free to re-send.

Last edited:

Frizy

dont change my ct fuckers
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
couldn't use heart stamp unfortunately but iron head managed to do the trick. i choked but got saved by rolls. gg.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I won against FlamingVictini, gg

I actually thought I lost before watching the encore pps o.o

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-138860

Edit for double protects:

[22:16:01] &Vinc2612: double tects wouldn't change much tbh
[22:16:07] &Vinc2612: since if I miss the second protect
[22:16:11] &Vinc2612: I can protect the turn of encore
[22:16:27] &Vinc2612: ofc you can predict it, but it isn't necessary good for you

Last edited:
Lost to vinc gg,

i made one really dumb play (protecting on a turn i didn't need to) and then vinc got the perfect streak of double protects and well timed failed protects to beat out me encore pp before i could kill him. Kinda sucks when i spent so much time to make sure that clef set would "always win" and then i fucked it up and didn't get saved by rng that still made it still very highly likely for me to win. I certainly wasn't expecting this outcome but its kinda funny that it did, good game vinc and gl in the rest.

"[17:09:33] +Nails: protect fails if it's the last move made in a turn
[17:09:37] +Nails: it comes up in vgc games"

I should have played more vgc :[

OH FUCK i also just realized that my clef is -atk (from when it used to not have knock off). I'm really good at choking guaranteed wins aren't i ;_; this is actually hilarious now good god. I'm actually terrible .cri

jake

underdog of the year
left side victorie :O

finals incoming, reminder to participants that i'll need the mons selection for both opponents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)