Hihidaruma

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender

Hihidaruma

[Overview]
  • Incredible Attack, with bad defenses balanced by great HP and decent Speed make Hihidaruma a fearsome sweeper.
  • Decent Physical Movepool coupled by Encourage, which boosts its Flare Blitz and Fire Punch, really help Hihidaruma in battle.
  • Interesting support options on Encore, Yawn, Taunt, Roar, and Will-O-Wisp.
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock hinders the times it can switch in badly.
  • Its Speed is only decent, meaning it will more often than not be revenge killed.
[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Superpower / Earthquake
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Description:
  • Scarf gives it the ability to revenge kill a good amount of common threats and also heavily damage Stall due to insanely powerful Flare Blitz, which thanks to Encourage, gain a pseudo Life Orb.
  • Band lets it hit like a truck, letting it 2HKO Bulky Waters like Vaporeon, Milotic, Burungeru, and also Dragon types like Garchomp, Salamence, Dialga, and others.
  • Must be extremely careful of Stealth Rock and residual damage from Flare Blitz and weather, as it may kill Hihidaruma pretty fast.
Additional Comments:
  • Flare Blitz is your main move, as it will 2HKO even stuff that resists it, while U-Turn is an awesome move to scout with, and Rock Slide (which is better than Stone Edge due to the better Accuracy and basically same power because of Encourage) compliments coverage by hitting stuff like Gyarados, Zapdos, Borutorosu, Salamence, and other Flying types.
  • Last spot is between Earthquake and Superpower. Superpower lets you hit Tyranitar and Heatran just like Earthquake, but also smacks Skarmory and levitators like Flygon which would otherwise switch in freely, but comes with the price of lowering Attack.
  • Band has to watch out for revenge killers, and Scarf from dedicated walls that may try to set up.
  • Better to pair it with a Wish user to make it last longer.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Wish users like Vaporeon or Blissey really aid Hihidaruma as its weak to every kind of layer.
  • Rapid Spin is recommended, as Stealth Rock will hurt Hihi badly.
  • Things that enjoy a lure to kill Bulky Waters and stuff that resists Fire like being with Hihidaruma, such as Metagross, Terakion, and Shandera.
  • Groudon is great as Sun boosts Flare Blitz power incredibly, letting it 2HKO things it usually wouldnt.
  • Swampert is a good counter to Hihidaruma as it wont be 2HKOd by Choice Banded Flare Blitz. Things like Kingdra that can take Flare Blitz will work too, but they have to be wary of U-Turn and Superpower.
[Team Options]
  • Can be used on slow teams that require something to clean after the Pokemon on the opponent's team are weakened, like Stall teams.
  • Water types can be used in order to take on Ground and Water attacks directed at Hihidaruma. Vaporeon is the best example, as it can pass Wishes to it.
  • Groudon is important as the sun will give a huge boost to its STAB Flare Blitz.
  • Thunder Wavers are also useful for Hihidaruma, as they can slow down fast stuff to let Hihidaruma hit them hard, outspeeding them.
[Optional Changes]

• Yawn, Encore, and Will-O-Wisp can be used as fillers on some sets, but Hihidaruma doesnt have the defenses to play with them on a formal set.
  • Fire Punch is useful as a filler if you hate Flare Blitz recoil, but it limits your coverage.
  • Stone Edge over Rock Slide as it has a high crit chance, but the Accuracy is usually much better, as the Rock move is solely used for things that are weak to Rock and resist Fire.
  • Adamant over Jolly if you look for power, the loss in Speed is very important though.
  • Life Orb is an alternative item that can work very well, but be careful of all the recoil damage.
  • Belly Drum will let it destroy after a boost, but Hihidaruma will get revenge killed or die before it manages to use it often.
[Counters]
  • Swampert, Kingdra, bulky Water Pokemon that can take boosted Flare Blitz are your best options, specially ones with a Recovery move.
  • Fast revenge killers like Randorosu, Salamence, Garchomp, and so on, but be careful, as Flare Blitz will do insane damage, OHKOing Randorosu, so its a better idea to bring it on a predicted coverage attack.
  • Status users will hinder Hihidaruma badly, specially Paralysis, as such Lanturn becomes a very interesting choice.
[Dream World]
  • Hihidaruma gets Daruma Mode as its Dream World ability. Its a very interesting, although gimmick, ability, as it will transform Hihidaruma into a completely different Pokemon when under 50% HP. This new Pokemon can abuse Special Attacks with ease, but the main problem is that usually Hihidaruma will be hit by Super Effective moves that will knock it out, leaving no chance for Daruma Mode activation.

Flare Blitz or Superpower + Life Orb + Encourage = Powerful + NO RECOIL OR STAT DROPS
So, Fire Punch is not necessary.
Also, what about Thrash? I don't know exactly how it works with Encourage, but you shouldn't be confused by it at least.
Unfortunately, recoil and stat drops remain active under encourage, and I feel that choice Band is ultimately better, considering Hihidaruma's speed is not spectacular, and therefore isn't incredibly viable as a pokemon that stays in. A Banded encourage-boosted Flare Blitz with STAB will WRECK anything that doesn't 4x resist it. Used as a lead it will easily 2HKO Hippo, doing 80-95% to typical defensive Hippowdons, and 91-107% to specially defensive versions

encourage doesnt stop recoil from flare blitz or life orb. it makes moves like flare blitz and fire punch slighlty more powerful and have 0% chance of burning. all of hihidarumas fire moves and rock slide gets a boost from it making it a better option over stone edge imo. hihidarumas best item is choice scarf. flare blitz earthquake u-turn rock slide. with the amount of things 4x weak to fire in this gen u-turn is pretty awesome on this guy. his raw power can scare some switches as well

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It does prevent the recoil from Life Orb if you use a move that is boosted by Encourage. You are correct about the recoil from Flare Blitz not being removed.

While this may seem very gimmicky, a Focus Sashed Hihidaruma with Daruma Mode could set up its extra form, and Yawn with Protect, as well as Fire Blast, could be very effective.

Again, gimmicky, but I reckon it should at least be put under Optional Changes.

Also, perhaps a Substitute set, allowing it to get to Daruma Mode and start hitting with some powerful STAB attacks.

It would be less risky and less gimmicky, and with 105/105/105 defenses and a massive Special Attack, it could become a decent tank, though its typing leaves something to be desired.

You're much better off using something else in place of Daruma Mode Hihi. Shouldn't even be considered.

I agree on the LO idea, for reasons already mentioned in the posts above.

IIRC, even scarfed Flare Blitz is a 2HKO on burungeru after Stealth Rock - if not, it's pretty close. That might be something to mention, just to demonstrate the raw power of encourage FBlitz.

encourage may not boost Flare Blitz, but it does boost fire punch. I dont know about you, i would deffinetly run Life orb Fire punch. I'm not sure how it compares to Banded Flare Blitz, but it does have the advantage on not killing Hihidaruma

encourage may not boost Flare Blitz, but it does boost fire punch. I dont know about you, i would deffinetly run Life orb Fire punch. I'm not sure how it compares to Banded Flare Blitz, but it does have the advantage on not killing Hihidaruma
And the disadvantage of not raping the shit out of everything...
Flare Blitz does such a huge amount of damage (even when its damage isn't boosted by an item) that you're better off losing it and taking out (or cripping) 2-3 Pokemon and then using something else to to finish the game than trying to keep it alive at the cost of sacrificing damage output.

I test Hihidaruma... but i have another set that i prefer over a Choice Option.

[SET]
name: BellyDaruma
move 1: Fire Punch
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Belly Drum
item: Salac Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Description]

This Hihidaruma can be a very dangerous pokemon.
After a Belly Drum... you have a nice 1516 in Atack... then... with Salac Berry activated 475 in Speed... enought to outspeed all non-scarf Pokemon (Except +Speed Deoxys-S)
Fire Punch is strong enough, with STAB and Encourage boost (and maybe with Ninetales Drought)... For example... Fire Punch 0HKO a 252 HP/ 252 Def Gyarados (Without Drought in battle)
The 4 EVS (352 HP) given allow for a combination of Substitute and Belly Drum to bring you to exactly 25% HP, which is when your Salac Berry will activate.
Earthquake OHKO pokemon with Flash Fire ( Ninetales, Arcanine, Rapidash, Flareon, Houndoom, Heatran, Shandera, Kuitaran, Thyplosion and Entei.
Is easy to set up Hihidaruma... most people think a Choice Version when they see Hihidaruma, and most of them swich in pokemon such as Heatran, Swampert, Kingdra etc... When they swich... Hihidaruma use Substitute... the next turn Belly Drum, Salac Berry get activated and then sweep.

[Aditional Coments]
-Salac Berry is the item of choice for Hihidaruma to get a decent Speed and get important outspeed
-Fire Punch is your main atack, because Flare Blitz has recoil damage.
-Earthquake is for coverage for Pokemon such as Heatran who have Flash Fire to absorb Fire Punch

Teammates & Counters
[Team Options]

The best team option for a Hihidaruma is posibly Ninetales... the reasons are:
-With Drought in... Fire Punch power increase.
-With Sunny, Hihidaruma is not worry about Rain Dance, Sand Storm or Hail.

Thunder Wave can be a wonderful asset to help Hihidaruma sweep, paralized pokemon such as Scarf Lati@s help a lot Hihidaruma, this can open a devastating Hihidaruma sweep.

[Counters]
Really... only 3 things can stop Hihidaruma.
-Quagsire Unaware: Unaware ignore +6 of Belly Drum, and has Waterfall / Earthquake /Stone Edge to hit Hihidaruma.
-Scarf: +100 Speed users, such as Garchomp, Lati@s etc... can revenge kill if Hihidaruma is not in a substitute
-Priority Moves: Most Notably Sucker Punch and Extreme Speed, because Hihidaruma resist Bullet Punch (Not Scizor Technician Bullet Punch) and Aqua Jet damage is decrease by Sunny Day ( But a lot of Pokemon can kill, Hihidaruma defense is so bad) and again, if Hihidaruma is not in a substitute.

[Other Options]
Really... nothing

[Dream World]
Daruma Mode do not help Hihidaruma, because Daruma have only 30 Atack and 55 Speed

(Excuse me, Im spanish and i cant speak english very well)
Really try this Hihidaruma... is very dangerous.

Weird. I know secondary effects that hurt the user still happen with Encourage, but you'd think a move with a high CH chance should be in the same class as something with a status chance or a stat-dropping chance.

Basically, for Encourage to work, it has to have a chance of something happening separately. Critical hits can happen anyways, so it's not boosted. The status lowering and stat drops are not boosted since they happen all the time. It's not how the mechanics work, but it's the same.

Is this still work in progress? Life Orb set is great, Nitro Charge works well too, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)