HitmonGOD [Peaked #1, Undefeated]

HITMONGOD

After being bored the other night and looking for something to do, I was asking around on IRC in the channel #rarelyused for something cool to use. Molk suggested Hitmonlee and I must admit Hitmonlee was a Pokemon I often overlooked due to the plethora of Ghost and Psychic Pokemon in the tier, not to mention the popularity of Nidoqueen. Even with all these Pokemon that "supposably" stop a Hitmonlee sweep I decided to attempt to build a team around this almost forgotten powerhouse. As you can see by the peak and the title this team had some success, Peaking #1 with a 26-0 record. I have decided to retire this team because well once you hit #1 the only way to go is down lol, without further ado onto the team....

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

If there is one thing Hitmonlee appreciates more than Ghost & Psychic types being removed its hazards. Smeargle is easily the best hazard user in the RU tier and it's easy to see why. Access to Spore and a workable Speed stat give Smeargle the ability to do his job 95% the time, taking out one Pokemon with Spore and then setting up at least Stealth Rock and one layer of spikes. Getting these hazards up early in the game can often spell doom for my opponent and puts Hitmonlee's checks on a timer. Whirlwind was chosen in the last slot over Explosion or Magic Coat to give Smeargle the ability to phase something out that wants to set up a Substitute or use a stat boosting move.

Rotom @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

I knew that I needed a spinblocker to keep my hazards on the field and with Cofagrigus saying goodbye to RU and moving onto bigger and better things, the spinblocker slot came down to Spiritomb and Rotom. Man do I gotta give my boy Rotom some props, I can't recall my opponent ever successfully spinning on me and with some smart switching even has the ability to beat out Cryogonal. SubWisp Rotom is so underrated and as of right now is easily my favourite spinblocker, who the hell who would miss Cofagrigus when we have this little beauty lurking in the tier. SubWisp Rotom is a reliable check to any Gallade that doesn't carry Shadow Sneak and can easily take 2 unboosted Shadow Sneaks and either break a Substitute or straight out Will-O-Wisp. The random Hp Ev's might seem weird but they serve a specific purpose, 56 Hp allows me to survive a +2 Aqua Jet from an Adamant LO Kabutops after 2 rounds of Stealth Rock.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SAtk / 32 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off
- Toxic

I needed a check to Fire types like Entei and Scarf Typhlosion and this is the role Slowking serves on the team. Although this Slowking doesn't beat Banded Entei 1v1, Banded Entei is currently much less common as most opt for Life Orb, Flame Plate or Grass Gem to avoid being set up on by Pokemon like Kabutops and Omastar. Slowking acts as the glue to the team, often being able to take a vital hit and put something into KO range for one of my other Pokemon. Regenerator is such an amazing ability and Slowking takes full advantage of it, often pivoting around half my opponents team while racking up entry hazard damage on my opponent to help ease Hitmonlee. Fire Blast is such a cool move a Water type and I can't count how many times I have nabbed a Grass type on the switch in. The 32 Speed Ev's allow me to outspeed other Slowking and everything else that aims to outspeed Slowking like Escavalier, which is rather important.

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Focus Blast

One of, if not the best Pokemon in the RU metagame right now. Sceptile forces so many switches and to have a Pokemon like that with the move Substitue AND hazards is too good to pass up on. Being able to Substitute down into Overgrow range and deal that extra damage on a massive threat is often vital to the teams success. Sceptile deals with Rock/Water types such as Kabutops and Omastar while also dealing with the Bulky Waters like Slowking, Qwilfish and Lanturn. This team lacks a Choice Scarf user and Sceptiles Speed is just really handy in alot of situations. Im just glad I was able to find a spot for Sceptile on my team.

Drapion @ Choice Band
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Cross Poison
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Hitmonlee's partner in crime, Drapion is such a cool Pokemon and Banded Drapion is pretty anti metagame at the moment. A few Pokemon were trialled in this slot before Banded Drapion such as Banded Spiritomb providing a dual Ghost core with Rotom and also Skuntank, but once I tested Drapion I never went back. Most people don't expect the Band and often switch in something frail to outspeed me on my assumed Swords Dance or Taunt, only to get completely destoryed by this monster. Drapion's role for the team is to eliminate those pesky Ghost & Psychic types hopefully leaving Hitmonlee with an opportunity to clean sweep. I must say I am pleased with how well this set works and it should really be used more.

Hitmonlee @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spd
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

The man himself, the reason the team was built and the reason for alot of my wins. There have been numerous times when I was down on my luck and the match looked grim, only for Hitmonlee to come in and clean up 4 or 5 Pokemon. Most people expect the Fake Out + Normal Gem set but I don't know why, imo Fighting Gem + Mach Punch is the way to go, Mach Punch allows me to bypass priority like Absol's Sucker Punch and utterly destroy it. Its also useful for dealing the last 50% to a Sceptile with the Fighting Gem intact as well as hitting something like Tangrowth for 60% + who could otherwise stop my sweep. 160 Speed Ev's allows me to hit 500 Speed after Unburdun and seemed like as good a mark as any to aim to hit, I was lazy when it came to Hitmonlee's Ev's but if anyone has a better mark that I should aim for please feel free to suggest.

Weaknesses:
  • Escavalier
  • Druddigon
  • Scarf Galvantula

Conclusion:Thats pretty much it. This team was pretty fun to use, I could have easily peaked higher if I wanted to test out my luck but it would only be a matter of time before I before I got outplayed or just plain haxed. Thanks to everyone that fully reads this RMT and I hope I have opened your eyes about a massive threat in today's metagame HITMONGOD.

Importable:
Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SAtk / 32 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Sceptile (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Focus Blast

Drapion (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Crunch
- Cross Poison
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Hitmonlee (M) @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spd
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

Hey New Breed! Beastly team you have here, although im not too surprised as youre a great player and im shocked no one gave you a rate yet. Your team has solid synergy. Got a few (not many cuz your team rocks) ideas to relieve you of some weaknesses.

First, to help with the Escavalier weakness, i recommend swapping Hp Rock to Hidden Power Fire. Esca can come in on Sceptile's grass attacks and take little to no damage thanks to a 4x resist. A Life Orb boost hp fire will Ohko all bulky variants of Escavalier. Removing hp rock does however open you up to a slight weakness to Moltres so its really up to you what you do. The other two mons you mentioned can be dealt with, with the members on your team through good prediction, which isnt a problem for you. If you find that flying types are becoming problematic for you, you can swap Rotom's set to a Choice Scarf set, which will help you to revenge birds like Moltres or Braviary that your team looks to have trouble with.

Summary:
HP Fire > HP Rock

Optional:
Scarf Rotom > SubWisp

Set:
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball
-HP Ice / Thunderbolt
-Trick

Again, great team and sorry for the rather short rate. Your team is so solid, that there's little to change. Good luck with it in the future!

Hey New Breed! Beastly team you have here, although im not too surprised as youre a great player and im shocked no one gave you a rate yet. Your team has solid synergy. Got a few (not many cuz your team rocks) ideas to relieve you of some weaknesses.

First, to help with the Escavalier weakness, i recommend swapping Hp Rock to Hidden Power Fire. Esca can come in on Sceptile's grass attacks and take little to no damage thanks to a 4x resist. A Life Orb boost hp fire will Ohko all bulky variants of Escavalier. Removing hp rock does however open you up to a slight weakness to Moltres so its really up to you what you do. The other two mons you mentioned can be dealt with, with the members on your team through good prediction, which isnt a problem for you. If you find that flying types are becoming problematic for you, you can swap Rotom's set to a Choice Scarf set, which will help you to revenge birds like Moltres or Braviary that your team looks to have trouble with.

Summary:
HP Fire > HP Rock

Optional:
Scarf Rotom > SubWisp

Set:
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball
-HP Ice / Thunderbolt
-Trick

Again, great team and sorry for the rather short rate. Your team is so solid, that there's little to change. Good luck with it in the future!
Hey Incon thanks for the rate bro! Both of your suggestions sound cool, however Sub/BU Gallade might be a problem if I switch Rotom to the Choice Scarf set, I'll definitely give your suggestions a try though!

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
On first sight Entei can be problematic, but SR + Spikes+ Recoil will wear it down soon enough. Your Hitmonlee EV's spread is indeed not that good: you want 172 Speed EV's to outspeed ScarfManectric and ScarfScyther, or if rain is a problem for this team, 232 speed EV's to outspeed Timid Ludicolo in rain. But obviously this team is soooo solid, this are only nitpicks. I also support using HP Fire on Sceptile as Focus Blast does already between 49% - 59% to Entei, while Slowking covers Moltres. Hope I helped and good luck!

Hey New Breed, this is indeed a good team but I can see some flaws in it

You seem quite weak to Kabutops as nothing can switch into it (granted, it can only get in after a revenge kill / on smeargle that has already spored, and Rotom kinda deals with it), but then it starts firing off powerful Stone Edges and you've got nothing to take those. A Kabutops in the rain spells doom for your team and it looks like you have a lot of problems against rain. Honestly, I do not know how you could fix it, although if Drapion removes Uxie Hitmonlee can sweep most rain teams by itself and it can even help revening, but it's clearly not the best way to deal with it. For this reason, I'd replace CB with BlackGlasses on Drapion and give it Taunt over Poison Jab, to fake the Choice Band, still boost Dark types moves and being able to Taunt most RDers (bar Aerodactyl).

Aerodactyl itself is a problem to this team (I'm talking about the offensive version with LO taunt Rslide Eq Roost or even HC or Power Herb / Sky Attack).

Sadly the only way I can see to deal with those weaknesses would mean to change at least 2 pokes, and then you'd have a completely different team, and not necessarily better than this one, another proof of the good balance going on.

Strong team

EDIT: Scarf Drapion might work over CB now that I think of it, I'd give it a try!

Congratz on the peak! But I have one change you really need to make, on slowking I would suggest change fireblast to flamethrower as it will still always KO escavalier and ferroseed. I would not change the hp rock to hp fire as you will need it for things like moltres and helps to finish off pokemon that are weak to it like entei and magmortar. Good team otherwise, personally I really like an electric immunity to prevent volt switch teams, and I only don't use rapid spin if I have a really offensive team because any kind of tank/stall team gets wrecked by hazards.

Biggest problem #1- you don't have an answer for the 2 most used and biggest threats in RU atm, Moltres and Kabutops. Contrary to popular belief, moltres beats slowking. As moltres can sub on the switch and then hurricane or roost and if it wants to try for a 70% chance kill, a second hurricane with knock out slowking. You have many ways to take out moltres but if something gets paralyzed or moltres somehow gets a free sub up, it will demolish your team in about 2 seconds. Not to mention smeargle is hard countered by moltres because it can just sub on the spore and throw out attacks until everthing on your team is dead. Kabutops is another story, rain dance and the standard rapid spin LO set hurt your team bad. NOTHING on your team can stop Kabutops once the rain is up, the best way to deal with this is to keep slowking at full and try to weaken it with scald so something like hitmonlee can finish up(But if they are smart they will just switch back out when hitmon appears). Changing Toxic to Thunder Wave will stop kabutops and also help things like drapion outspeed to hit hard.

On first sight Entei can be problematic, but SR + Spikes+ Recoil will wear it down soon enough. Your Hitmonlee EV's spread is indeed not that good: you want 172 Speed EV's to outspeed ScarfManectric and ScarfScyther, or if rain is a problem for this team, 232 speed EV's to outspeed Timid Ludicolo in rain. But obviously this team is soooo solid, this are only nitpicks. I also support using HP Fire on Sceptile as Focus Blast does already between 49% - 59% to Entei, while Slowking covers Moltres. Hope I helped and good luck!
Zoro bro <3 thanks for the rate man, yeah i'll definitely change to Speed Ev's on Hitmonlee to either outpace Scarf Manetric or a +2 Klinklang. Moltres is actually a massive threat for the team and the current offensive spread on Slowking doesn't deal with Moltres too well which was why I opted for Hp Rock> Fire, I'll definitely try out your suggestions though, thanks for the rate bro :)

Hey New Breed, this is indeed a good team but I can see some flaws in it

You seem quite weak to Kabutops as nothing can switch into it (granted, it can only get in after a revenge kill / on smeargle that has already spored, and Rotom kinda deals with it), but then it starts firing off powerful Stone Edges and you've got nothing to take those. A Kabutops in the rain spells doom for your team and it looks like you have a lot of problems against rain. Honestly, I do not know how you could fix it, although if Drapion removes Uxie Hitmonlee can sweep most rain teams by itself and it can even help revening, but it's clearly not the best way to deal with it. For this reason, I'd replace CB with BlackGlasses on Drapion and give it Taunt over Poison Jab, to fake the Choice Band, still boost Dark types moves and being able to Taunt most RDers (bar Aerodactyl).

Aerodactyl itself is a problem to this team (I'm talking about the offensive version with LO taunt Rslide Eq Roost or even HC or Power Herb / Sky Attack).

Sadly the only way I can see to deal with those weaknesses would mean to change at least 2 pokes, and then you'd have a completely different team, and not necessarily better than this one, another proof of the good balance going on.

Strong team

EDIT: Scarf Drapion might work over CB now that I think of it, I'd give it a try!
Hey Luck, pretty much everything you have said is correct. Kabutops is indeed a pain for my team, I usually go into what I need the least at that point in match and attempt to bait an Aqua Jet so I can get Rotom in. That is exactly the way I deal with rain lmao, just eliminate Uxie and put offensive pressure on them to make sure rain stays off the field but as you said it's definitely not fool proof.

I was looking to try and fit a Scarfer on my team and I like the idea of Scarf Drapion, while still being able to perform its trapping role, I'll definitely have to test it out. Thanks for rate :)

Congratz on the peak! But I have one change you really need to make, on slowking I would suggest change fireblast to flamethrower as it will still always KO escavalier and ferroseed. I would not change the hp rock to hp fire as you will need it for things like moltres and helps to finish off pokemon that are weak to it like entei and magmortar. Good team otherwise, personally I really like an electric immunity to prevent volt switch teams, and I only don't use rapid spin if I have a really offensive team because any kind of tank/stall team gets wrecked by hazards.

Biggest problem #1- you don't have an answer for the 2 most used and biggest threats in RU atm, Moltres and Kabutops. Contrary to popular belief, moltres beats slowking. As moltres can sub on the switch and then hurricane or roost and if it wants to try for a 70% chance kill, a second hurricane with knock out slowking. You have many ways to take out moltres but if something gets paralyzed or moltres somehow gets a free sub up, it will demolish your team in about 2 seconds. Not to mention smeargle is hard countered by moltres because it can just sub on the spore and throw out attacks until everthing on your team is dead. Kabutops is another story, rain dance and the standard rapid spin LO set hurt your team bad. NOTHING on your team can stop Kabutops once the rain is up, the best way to deal with this is to keep slowking at full and try to weaken it with scald so something like hitmonlee can finish up(But if they are smart they will just switch back out when hitmon appears). Changing Toxic to Thunder Wave will stop kabutops and also help things like drapion outspeed to hit hard.
Hey Bigblue, I guess Fire Blast/Flamethrower is really just a matter of personl preference, if it ever starts missing alot I can always just change to Flamethrower. You are right about Kabutops and Moltres, I usually have to keep my rocks up and use some smart switching. You are also correct about Rain teams, super annoying to face but my thankfully Rain teams usually only carry 1 check to Hitmonlee, that being Uxie which thankfully Drapion destroys. Then I have to stall out the rain and get Hitmonlee in to usually clean up everything else. Thanks alot for the rate man :)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Solid team, NewBreed! There's no real blatant flaws to correct in this team. You did mention some weaknesses of your team that can be fixed with some small tweaks.

Change Rotom's spread to Max HP / Max Spe. Rotom has a unique typing that provides it many useful resistances - give it some HP EVs and it will serve a much better defensive pivot for this team. For instance, it can take hits from Galvantula and Escavalier much more safely, and survive Kabutops's +2 Aqua Jet without being at max health.

Another change I suggest is Volt Switch over Substitute. This would allow your sweepers to safely switch-in to whatever switching into Rotom. It works well with this whole spike-stacking offense of yours.

And yea, Kabutops should be faster than Kabutops lest you want it to cut a big chunk of Hitmonlee's health with LO Aqua Jet (before the Unburden boost). You wont have the Unburden boost all the time, so it's helpful to be fast from the get-go. This means 200 Spe EVs to reach 260 Spd. This is also the magic speed number to outrun Scarf Galvantula!

You can also try Escavalier or Aggron over Drapion's slot to better deal with Druddigon and opposing Escavalier while still dealing with Hitmonlee's counters. Aggron checks Druddigon and Escavalier much better, and can be an absolute monster with Autotomize, but you do lose an important check to Grass-types. Escavalier can still check Grass-types, which is probably best for this team.

Solid team, NewBreed! There's no real blatant flaws to correct in this team. You did mention some weaknesses of your team that can be fixed with some small tweaks.

Change Rotom's spread to Max HP / Max Spe. Rotom has a unique typing that provides it many useful resistances - give it some HP EVs and it will serve a much better defensive pivot for this team. For instance, it can take hits from Galvantula and Escavalier much more safely, and survive Kabutops's +2 Aqua Jet without being at max health.

Another change I suggest is Volt Switch over Substitute. This would allow your sweepers to safely switch-in to whatever switching into Rotom. It works well with this whole spike-stacking offense of yours.

And yea, Kabutops should be faster than Kabutops lest you want it to cut a big chunk of Hitmonlee's health with LO Aqua Jet (before the Unburden boost). You wont have the Unburden boost all the time, so it's helpful to be fast from the get-go. This means 200 Spe EVs to reach 260 Spd. This is also the magic speed number to outrun Scarf Galvantula!

You can also try Escavalier or Aggron over Drapion's slot to better deal with Druddigon and opposing Escavalier while still dealing with Hitmonlee's counters. Aggron checks Druddigon and Escavalier much better, and can be an absolute monster with Autotomize, but you do lose an important check to Grass-types. Escavalier can still check Grass-types, which is probably best for this team.
Hi Pocket, I have started testing Escavalier > Drapion and its pretty good so far so thanks for the suggestion :). Hitmonlee's Ev's were fixed up a while ago I was just too lazy to add it into the thread lol. I really like the idea of the bulky Rotom spread and i'll be sure to give that a test soon too. Thanks for the rate man it's really appreciatied :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)