Hitmontop (Analysis) [GP 0/2]

[Overview]

<p>Hitmontop has always been a niche pokemon and a unique one at that. It boasts high defenses and attack, yet it was never made to wall or sweep. Instead, it was one of the few pokemon who recieved the move Rapid Spin giving it the role of a bulky sweeper. This generation, Hitmontop serves as a check to many of the new prominent sweepers like Doryuzuu and Cloyster. Hitmontop still remains a bulky spinner this generation, but it is also now a reliable anti-metagame pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Priority Attacker
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge / Sucker Punch
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmontop is one of the best users of its ability Technician. It boosts Fake Out's power to 60 instead of 40. This means that Hitmontop can break sashes and cause a lot of residual damage every time it switches in. Technician also boosts Mach Punches power to 60. After STAB, it becomes a powerful priority move. It's so powerful, that Hitmontop always KO's Doryuuzu after a Fake Out and Mach Punch. Hitmontop's strong fighting priority also helps it take down many other popular pokemon such as Sazando, Shell Smash Cloyster, and Tyranitar. Even if it isn't super effective, Mach Punch still deals massive damage. For example, Mach Punch does about 50% to Ononokusu. Hitmontop's strong priority makes it a menace to deal with. </p>
<p>But priority isn't all that this set has to offer. Close Combat still deals a lot of damage on many pokemon, most of whom expect a weak attack or a switch. Sucker Punch is a great way to deal with Ghost-types, as pokemon like Gengar and Shanderaa can be hit for super effective damage. It also gets priority, so it can be used against pokemon that resist or are immune to Mach Punch. Stone Edge is there to destroy Flying-types like Togekiss that think they can easily kill Hitmontop with Air Slash. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>For a more bulky role, Hitmontop has a few more options. Some Attack EVs can be moved to either defense stat, but Hitmontop doesn't want to lose too much power. Leftovers can also be used instead of Life Orb if it needs more bulk, but the difference in power is noticable. If it needs a good recovery move, rest is always an option, but Hitmontop will be asleep for two turns, giving the opponent time to set up. This set isn't really meant to stall out anyone, so this may not even be necessary. There are also several other options Hitmontop has. Hi Jump Kick has great power and doesn't drop Hitmontop's defenses, unlike Close Combat. However, Hitmontop is a Ghost magnet, so Hi Jump Kick is risky. Pursuit is a choice for those who don't want to rely on Sucker Punch for Dark coverage, although Rock-Fighting coverage is generally better.</p>

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Sucker Punch / Rest
move 4: Foresight / Toxic
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmontop is one of the best Rapid Spinners out there. His main advantage is the use of the Foresight + Rapid Spin combo. This combo allows both Normal-type and Fighting-type moves to hit Ghost-types who would normally spin block Hitmontop. This also allow Hitmontop to hit them with its STAB Fighting-type attacks which they would normally be immune to. It is true, however, that not all teams run a spin blocker, so Foresight may not even be necessary, in which case Toxic should be used for stalling. Close Combat is the main STAB option. Close Combat may sacrifice some of Hitmontop's bulk, but it is the strongest reliable STAB move. The third moveslot is based on preference. Sucker Punch hits offensive pokemon such as Gengar and Shanderaa who would otherwise revenge kill or spin block Hitmontop. Rest is if recovery is needed, but the extra turns of sleep can be troublesome. Due to Intimidate the maxed out Defense, Hitmontop is a very strong physical wall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmontop can always move some EVs to Defense to make it a more dedicated special Wall, or it can move some EVs to Defense to make it a more dedicated physical wall. A Chesto or Lum berry could be used in conjunction with Rest, but the Leftovers recovery is important. Revenge can be run as another STAB option, but the power is decreased by the lack of Technician. Stone Edge can be used instead of Sucker Punch, as most offensive Ghost-types will be OHKO'd by it anyway, but Sucker Punch offers useful priority. For really gimmicky players, a Red Card can be a good item option. After their Ghost-type switches in and hit Hitmontop, it is forced to switch out, giving Hitmontop an easier time spinning. Overall, it's pretty gimmicky, but it's an option. Hi Jump Kick is a choice over Close Combat for those that need the extra power, but Hitmontop attracts ghosts, and so this really isn't reliable.</p>

<p>Hitmontop offers Rapid Spin support, which few other pokemon can offer, but many can benefit from it. Urugamosu benefits in particular from Hitmontop's support. Hitmontop can spin away the hazards that cripple it so bad, and in return Urugamosu can set up on walls that try to stop Hitmontop. Gyarados can do the same. Gyarados also serves as a check to many pokemon that try to check Hitmontop, such as Skarmory and Hippowdon. Shanderaa can serve as a lure for many pokemon that Hitmontop counters such as Tyranitar and Doryuuzu. Scizor works wonders with Hitmontop. Scizor needs to switch in and out quite often and is crippled by Spikes and Stealth Rock. In addition, both carry strong STAB priority and can wreck havoc on speed based teams.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hitmontop has several other options available. Intimidate can be added in for some extra physical bulk, but Technician is what makes Hitmontop so special. Aerial Ace is never a bad choice to counter pokemon like Roobushin and Breloom, but it doesn't work as well as some of the other moves and doesn't provide much coverage. Bullet Punch can be used as a different priority move, but it does not recieve STAB and has limited use. If Mach Punch is underwhelming,other STAB moves can be substituted. Hitmontop has access to Hi Jump Kick, but it can be risky, as Hitmontop tends to lure in Ghost types. Close Combat is a strong option, but Hitmontop doesn't like the defense drops. The safest bet is with Revenge, as it can be boosted with Technician or it can be doubled if the opponent moves first. Low Kick can see some success because even lighter pokemon recieve a power boost due to Technician, but it is unreliableand can be underwhelming. Toxic can be used on a more stallish set, but Hitmontop has more important things it needs to accompish. Hitmontop has access to Endeavor, Reversal, and priority, giving it great potential to be a reversal sweeper, but with weather omni present this generation, it's hard to pull off. Choice Band can be used on Hitmontop for suprise, but there are better pokemon for this. Same goes for a Choice Scarf set, although Choice Scarf seems really unecessary with Hitmontop's access to priority. Hitmontop can run an effective Bulk Up set due to its bulk and power, but its Technitop set works better all around and isn't outclassed by Roobushin.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop has his fair share of counters in OU. Any bulky Flying-type can come in on a resisted Mach Punch and threaten with STAB Air Slash. Pokemon like Gliscor are particularly troubling because they often pack strong Flying STAB with Acrobat or can set up on Hitmontop, while Hitmontop deals petty damage. Psychic types also can give Hitmontop a rough time. Pokemon like Rankurusu and Espeon threaten it with a strong STAB Psychic, but they have to watch out for Sucker Punch. Dedicated physical walls and pokemon with Intimidate can be tough to deal with, as Hitmontop isn't meant to be a wall breaker. Finally, faster priority users can make things hard for Hitmontop. It relies on its priority to outspeed things, but if the other pokemon has priority of its own, Hitmontop is in trouble.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Steadfast doesn't do anything for Hitmontop. Flinch haxers like Togekiss deal too much damage anyway, so its hard to find a time when the opponent will flinch Hitmontop. Furthermore, Hitmontop doesn't need speed. It has priority moves to bypass its low speed. Those priority moves rely on Technician for power, so there is really no reason to use Steadfast.</p>

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
'Kay, looks pretty good for a for a formal analysis. Some things I'd like to bring up though.

When you mention Pokemon types, use this: "[Type]-type". The type should be proper as in: "Grass-type" and "Flying-type" with a dash between the type and "type". You so have some punctuation problems that can be fixed pretty easily like comma position and a case of missing punctuations. Could be personal experience, but I think Smogon analyses prefer a third person most of the time.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All those sections that use copious amounts of "You" and "We" need to be re-written.

For example:
You can also use Close Combat, but then you are sacrificing Hitmontop's bulkiness.
needs to be
Close Combat can also be used, but this will mean sacrificing Hitmontop's bulkiness.
Please read some onsite analyses to get a feeling of how you should be writing, the voice of this analysis definitely needs changing.

a set of:

hitmontop @ leftovers
252 hp / 252 atk / 4 hp
adamant nature
intimidate
close combat
rapid spin
sucker punch
foresight / rest

should be included since top is an amazing spinner and intimidate is an incredible that needs to be taken advantage of.

Aight thanks for the "you" edits, I think i found all of them.
And thanks Alan for the set, I'll put it in the analysis

Minor point:-
[SET]
name: Technitop
move 3: Rapid Spin / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
move 4: Stone Edge /Level Ground / Foresight
Leave spaces between the slashes and Attacks
Nature: Adamant Also regarding your second set leave spaces between the slashes and two natures.
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Please make the same changes in your 'Mamoswine' analysis also since I spotted the same ones. Other than that, nice analysis!

locopoke

Banned deucer.
On the Rapid Spin set, take the 252 Atk EVs and move them to Def or SpD. From experience with this set last gen, Hitmontop really appreciates the extra bulk and it makes it nearly impossible for most Pokemon to take him down. I really don't see what max Atk is doing anyway since most of the stuff you're gonna be hitting with CC is gonna be Super Effective and you won't need much(or any) investment.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
On the "Spin Top" set, is there really a reason you have 252 EVs invested into Special Defense? I've used Hitmontop in OU before, and I often found myself switching in on physical threats (mainly Tyranitar, and predicted Stone Edge's from Terakion and Randorosu). The Defense EVs in conjunction with Intimidate help the little guy take these attacks quite well, and without adequate Defense investment, Hitmontop will be worn down quickly by physical attackers. I rarely found myself switching Hitmontop into special attacks, since he has no business switching into them in the first place. As such, I'd change your current EV spread to 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD to take full advantage of Hitmontop's defensive capabilities. If you decide to make this change, remove Careful as a nature for obvious reasons.

I also recommend moving Hi Jump Kick to Additional Comments. I think Close Combat's 100% accuracy is a better fit on Spinner Top, and should be its main Fighting move. Although missing with Hi Jump Kick could prove fatal in certain situations (not to mention Ghost-types switching in on HJK...), it does have increased PP and 10 more base power, making it deserving of an AC mention. Recently, I've found Toxic to be better than Foresight. Nowadays, many battlers have opted to run entry hazards without the use of a Ghost-type, making Foresight less necessary. If your opponent does have a Ghost, you can Toxic them on the switch-in. Slash it with Foresight, IMO.

Now, I think the TechniTop set should look something along the lines of:

[SET]
name: TechniTop
item: Life Orb
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs.: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

I've removed Level Ground as a slash, since I don't see much use in it really. Here's your reason for having it: "Level Ground is an option as well to hit more specific pokemon such as Blaziken (whose Speed Boost is useless against Level Ground) and Shanderaa." Blaziken will be hit hard by Fake Out + Mach Punch, while Stone Edge annihilates Shanderaa. As such, I'd just relegate Level Ground to AC. The move isn't all that necessary, and slashing it makes the set look cluttered.

I removed Foresight and Rapid Spin as options entirely; let the defensive Spinner Top take care of that role. Stone Edge and Sucker Punch are the last moves. Stone Edge for fliers, Sucker Punch for stuff like Lati@s and Ghost's. I also made Close Combat a main option. Hitmontop needs a move he can consistently spam for high damage, and Close Combat provides him with just that. Also...

Nattorei can also stop Hitmontop cold. Hitmontop can attack it with Mach Punch, but it doesn't deal much damage and it gives Hitmontop recoil from Iron Barbs and Life Orb.
This is even more reason to run Close Combat, as it will allow you to significantly sever Nattorei. That's all I could find. I'll approve this once you've made edits to the OP.

EDIT:

I believe Iconic has terminated any cliffhanger opinions you have with regards to Hitmontop's ecological niche in the Overused metagame. Hopefully, your personal qualms with regards to the status of the move -- Pursuit -- have been identified and dealt with adequately.

QC APPROVED (1/2)

Hitmontop can always move some EVs to Defense to make it a more dedicated special Wall, or it can move some EVs to Defense to make it a more dedicated physical wall
*SpD

Posting to agree with what Bloo said

<p> Hitmontop has his fair share of counters in OU. Any bulky Flying-type can come in on a resisted Mach Punch and threaten with STAB Air Slash. Zapdos in particular can give it trouble, because Zapdos can easily set up a substitute, even if Hitmontop doesn't switch out.
Zapdos does not learn Air Slash, so this should prolly be reworded.

[SET]
move 3: Rapid Spin / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
move 4: Stone Edge / Level Ground / Foresight
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Where is Close Combat? It's a given on this set and MUCH MUCH more useful than Rapid Spin and Foresight (seriously, just use spinner top?)

Close Combat is a damn given on this set, 120 Base Power backed by Life Orb, Technician be damned. Close Combat + Mach Punch deals with 90% of targets that take neutral damage (remember, it is hard to OHKO Hitmontop, not to mention a lot of people set up expecting a weak attack). Level Ground... what the fuck???? Level Ground does less than Close Combat on... everything (even Heatran / Magnezone).

It should look like this:

move 4: Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Stone Edge

Close Combat is a must. The other options are additional, with Sucker Punch / Pursuit for ghosts (Pursuit actually does good damage against Psychics weather they stay in or not thanks to Tech) and Stone Edge for flying types. 4 Leftovers should go into Spe, its not a wall.

Mmmkay made all of the edits, but still debating whether to slash Pursuit on the first set or two just AC it.
Also debating whether or not to AC Level Ground. It's really not that bad and deals decent damage with Technician. It can be a great utility attack on pokemon that rely on their speed, like Terakion or Infernape.

But aside from that, ready to be QC checked again and for additional comments.

Level Ground has really redundant coverage with Hitmontop's STAB Fighting-type moves, so it's definitely AC material. I mean I'd rather just hit Terakion and Infernape on the switch-in with Close Combat rather than Level Ground since there's a chance they'll be using Balloon anyways. I also think Pursuit is more suited for AC because the Pokemon you're most likely wanting to hit with Pursuit (think Gengar, Latios, Latias, Starmie, Espeon) are going to hit you hard if you stay in anyways. You're better off just getting out of there or trying to lure them into attacking so you can get the Sucker Punch off.

Assuming Bloo -- who epitomizes the conglomeration of all nerds here at the University of Smogon -- grants his infallible and everlasting approval of this thread -- then I declare that its status shall henceforth, and until the end of time, be viewed as:

QC Approved 2/2

You may want to mention Ankle Sweep, as it has 90 Base Power when boosted by Technician, and is guaranteed to lower the opponent's speed. Also, Level Ground is a good option for the same thing, and also boasts 90 base power. As such, Hitmontop now has a reliable fighting and ground type move, with no drawbacks.

Add
Remove

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Hitmontop has always been a niche pokemon and a unique one at that. It boasts high defenses and Attack, yet it was never made lacks the ability to wall or sweep. Instead, it was is one of the few Pokemon who recieved the move Rapid Spin, giving it the role of a bulky sweeper. This generation, Hitmontop serves as a check to many of the new prominent sweepers like Doryuzuu and Cloyster. Hitmontop still remains a bulky spinner this generation, but it is now also a reliable anti-metagame Pokemon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is one of the best users of its ability Technician, which. It boosts Fake Out's power to 60 instead of 40. This means that Hitmontop can break sashes and cause a lot of residual damage every time it switches in. Technician also boosts Mach Punch's power to 60. After STAB, it becomes a powerful priority move. It's so powerful, that Hitmontop always KOes Doryuuzu after a Fake Out and Mach Punch. Hitmontop's strong fighting priority also helps it take down many other popular Pokemon, such as Sazando, Shell Smash Cloyster, and Tyranitar. Even if it isn't super effective, Mach Punch still deals massive damage. For example, Mach Punch does about 50% to Ononokusu. Hitmontop's strong priority makes it a menace to deal with. </p>

<p>But However, priority isn't all that this set has to offer. Close Combat still deals a lot of damage on to many Pokemon, most of whom expect a weak attack or a switch. Sucker Punch is a great way to deal with Ghost-types, as Pokemon like Gengar and Shanderaa can be hit for super effective damage. It also gets priority, so it can be used against Pokemon that resist or are immune to Mach Punch. Stone Edge is there to destroy Flying-types like Togekiss that think they can easily kill Hitmontop with Air Slash their STAB moves. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>For a more bulky role, Hitmontop has a few more options. Some Attack EVs can be moved to either defense stat, but Hitmontop doesn't want to lose too much power. Leftovers can also be used instead of Life Orb if it Hitmontop needs more bulk, but the difference in power is noticable. If it needs a good recovery move, Rest is always an option, but Hitmontop will be asleep for two turns, giving the opponent time to set up. This set isn't really meant to stall out anyone, so this may not even be necessary. There are also several other options Hitmontop has. Hi Jump Kick has great power and doesn't drop Hitmontop's defenses, unlike Close Combat. However, Hitmontop is a Ghost magnet, so Hi Jump Kick is risky. Pursuit is a choice for those who don't want to rely on Sucker Punch for Dark coverage, although Rock-Fighting coverage is generally better.</p>

[SET]
Spin Top
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is one of the best Rapid Spinners out there. His main advantage is the use of the Foresight + Rapid Spin combo. This combo allows both Normal-type and Fighting-type moves to hit Ghost-types who would normally spinblock Hitmontop. This It also allows Hitmontop to hit them Ghost-types with its STAB Fighting-type attacks, which they would normally be immune to. It is true, However, that not all teams run a spinblocker, so Foresight may not even be necessary, in which case Toxic should be used for stalling. Close Combat is the main STAB option. Close Combat may sacrifice some of Hitmontop's bulk, but it is the strongest reliable STAB move. The third moveslot is based on preference. Sucker Punch hits offensive pokemon such as Gengar and Shanderaa who would otherwise revenge kill or spinblock Hitmontop. Rest is if provides recovery is needed, but the extra turns of sleep can be troublesome allow opponents to set up. Due to Intimidate and this set's the maxed out Defense, Hitmontop is a very strong physical wall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop can always move some EVs to Special Defense to make it a more dedicated special wall, or it can move some EVs to Defense to make it a more dedicated physical wall. A Chesto or Lum berry could can be used in conjunction with Rest, but the Leftovers recovery is important. Revenge can be run as another STAB option, but the power is decreased by the lack of Technician. Stone Edge can be used instead of Sucker Punch, as most offensive Ghost-types will be OHKOed by it anyway, but Sucker Punch offers useful priority. For really gimmicky players, a Red Card can be a good item option. After their an opposing Ghost-type switches in and hits Hitmontop, it is forced to switch out, giving Hitmontop an easier time spinning. Overall, it's pretty gimmicky, but it's an option. Hi Jump Kick is a choice over Close Combat for those that need the extra power, but Hitmontop attracts ghosts Ghost-types, making it an unreliable move. and so this really isn't reliable</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]
<p>Hitmontop has several other options available. Intimidate can be added in for some extra physical bulk, but Technician is what makes Hitmontop so special. Aerial Ace is never a bad choice to counter Pokemon like Roobushin and Breloom, but it doesn't work as well as some of the other moves and doesn't provide much coverage. Bullet Punch can be used as a different priority move, but it does not recieve STAB and has limited use. If Mach Punch is underwhelming, other STAB moves can be substituted. Hitmontop has access to Hi Jump Kick, but it can be risky, as Hitmontop tends to lure in Ghost types. Close Combat is a strong option, but Hitmontop doesn't like the defense drops. The safest bet is with Revenge, as it can be boosted with Technician or it can be doubled in power if the opponent moves first. Low Kick can see some success has some potential because it even gains a power boost against lighter Pokemon due to Technician, but it is unreliable and can be underwhelming. Toxic can be used on a more stallish set, but Hitmontop has more important things it needs to accompish. Hitmontop also has access to Endeavor, Reversal, and priority, giving it great potential to be a reversal sweeper, but with weather omnipresent this generation, it's hard to pull off. Choice Band can be used on Hitmontop for to suprise opponents, but there are it is better suited towards other Pokemon for this. Same goes for A Choice Scarf set is usable, although it may be seems really unecessary with Hitmontop's access to priority. Hitmontop can also run an effective Bulk Up set due to its bulk and power, but its Technitop set works better all around and isn't outclassed by Roobushin.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>Hitmontop offers beneficial Rapid Spin support, which few other Pokemon can offer, but many can benefit from it. Urugamosu benefits in particular from Hitmontop's support. Hitmontop can spin away the hazards that cripple it so bad Urugamosu, and in return Urugamosu can set up on walls that try to stop Hitmontop. Gyarados can do the same. Gyarados and also serves as a check to many pokemon that try to check Hitmontop, such as Skarmory and Hippowdon. Shanderaa can serve as a lure for many Pokemon that Hitmontop counters, such as Tyranitar and Doryuuzu. Scizor works wonders with Hitmontop, . Scizor as it needs to switch in and out quite often and is crippled by Spikes and Stealth Rock. In addition, both Scizor and Hitmontop carry strong STAB priority moves and can wreack havoc on speed based frailer teams. </p>

[COUNTERS]
<p> Hitmontop has his fair share of counters in OU. Any bulky Flying-type can come in on a resisted Mach Punch and threaten with STAB Air Slash Flying moves. Pokemon like Gliscor are is particularly troubling, because they often it packs strong Flying STAB with Acrobat or and can set up on Hitmontop, while Hitmontop deals petty damage. Psychic types also can give Hitmontop a rough time. Pokemon like Rankurusu and Espeon threaten it with a strong STAB Psychic, but they have to watch out for Sucker Punch. Dedicated physical walls and Pokemon with Intimidate can be tough to deal with, as Hitmontop isn't meant to be a wall breaker. Finally, faster priority users can make things hard for Hitmontop, asit relies on its own priority to outspeed opponents. but if the other pokemon has priority of its own, Hitmontop is in trouble </p>

[DREAM WORLD]
<p> Steadfast doesn't do anything for Hitmontop, as flinch haxers abusers like Togekiss deal too much damage anyway, so it's hard to find a time when the opponent will flinch Hitmontop. Furthermore, Hitmontop also doesn't need Speed investment, since it has priority moves to bypass its low Speed. Those priority moves rely on Technician for power, so there is really no reason to use Steadfast. </p>

Hi.

May I also suggest an option in the second moveslot for Mach Punch, as Fighting priority is really beneficial in this metagame.

Thanks, bye.

Blue = Add
Red = Delete
Bold = Comment

Please update your analyses. I saw lots of Japanese names and wrong format...

[Overview] (only the SET COMMENTS and ADDITIONAL COMMENTS sections are all in caps)
<p>Hitmontop has always been a niche pokemon Pokemon, and a unique one at that. It boasts high defenses and attack decent Attack (base 95 isn't that good when compared with the monsters in OU right now), yet it was never made to wall or sweep. Instead, it Hitmontop was one of the few pokemon who recieved got the move Rapid Spin, (comma) giving it the role of a bulky sweeper attacker (you said it wasn't a sweeper one line above). This generation, Hitmontop serves as a check to many of the new prominent sweepers, (comma) like Doryuzuu Excadrill and Cloyster. Hitmontop still remains a bulky spinner this generation, but it is now also now a reliable anti-metagame pokemon Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Technitop Technician
item: Life Orb
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
(Enter)
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is one of the best users of its ability Technician. It boosts Fake Out's power to 60 instead of 40, (comma) . This and this means that Hitmontop can break sashes Focus Sashes and cause a lot of residual damage every time it switches in. Technician also boosts Mach Punches Punch's power to 60. After and, after STAB, it becomes a powerful priority move. It's so powerful, (remove comma) that Hitmontop always KO's Doryuuzu Excadrill after a Fake Out and Mach Punch. Hitmontop's strong fighting Fighting priority also helps it take down many other popular pokemon, (comma) such as Sazando Hydreigon, Shell Smash Cloyster (it's a nitpick but there isn't any other viable set for Cloyster in OU so you should delete it), and Tyranitar, (comma) . Even if it isn't super effective, Mach Punch still deals massive damage. For example, Mach Punch does about 50% to Ononokusu. Hitmontop's strong priority makes it a menace to deal with. while also 2HKOing Pokemon neutral to it such as Haxorus.</p>
(Enter)
<p>But priority isn't all that this set has to offer. Close Combat still deals a lot of damage on many pokemon Pokemon, most of whom expect a weak attack or a switch. Sucker Punch is a great way to deal with Ghost-types, as pokemon like Gengar and Shanderaa Chandelure can be hit for super effective damage. It also gets priority, so it can be used against pokemon that resist or are immune to Mach Punch. Stone Edge is there to destroy Flying-types like Togekiss that think they can easily kill Hitmontop with Air Slash.(no space)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>For a more bulky bulkier role, Hitmontop has a few more options. Some Attack EVs can be moved to either defense defensive stat, but Hitmontop doesn't want can't afford to lose too much power. Leftovers can also be used instead of Life Orb if it needs more bulk, but the difference in power is noticable noticeable. If it needs a good (you say it gives the opponent time to set up, that's bad to me) recovery move, rest Rest is always an option, but Hitmontop will be asleep for two turns, giving the opponent time to set up. This set isn't really meant to stall out anyone, so this may not even be necessary. There are also several other options Hitmontop has. Hi Jump Kick has great power and, unlike Close Combat, doesn't drop Hitmontop's defenses, unlike Close Combat. However, Hitmontop is a Ghost magnet, so Hi Jump Kick is risky. Pursuit is a choice for those who don't want to rely on Sucker Punch for Dark coverage, although Rock-Fighting coverage is generally better.</p>

[SET]
name: Spin Top Rapid Spin
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is one of the best Rapid Spinners out there. His main advantage is the use of the Foresight + Rapid Spin combo. This combo allows both Normal-type and Fighting-type moves to hit Ghost-types who would normally spin block Hitmontop that allows it to spin even in front of Ghost-types, as well as hitting them with its STAB attacks. This also allow Hitmontop to hit them with its STAB Fighting-type attacks which they would normally be immune to. However, It it is true, however, that not all teams run a spin blocker, so Foresight may not even be necessary, in which case Toxic should be used for stalling. Close Combat is the main STAB option. Close Combat and, while it may sacrifice some of Hitmontop's bulk, but it is the strongest and most reliable STAB move. The third moveslot is based on preference.: Sucker Punch hits offensive pokemon such as Gengar and Shanderaa Chandelure, who would otherwise revenge kill or spin block Hitmontop.; Rest is there if recovery is needed, but the extra turns of sleep can be troublesome. Due to Intimidate and the maxed out Defense, Hitmontop is a very strong physical wall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop can always move some EVs to Special Defense to make it a more dedicated special Wall wall, or it can move some EVs to Defense to make it a more dedicated physical wall. A Chesto or Lum berry could be used in conjunction with Rest, but the Leftovers recovery is important. Revenge can be run as another STAB option, but the power is decreased by the lack of Technician. Stone Edge can be used instead of Sucker Punch, as most offensive Ghost-types will be OHKO'd OHKOed by it anyway, but Sucker Punch offers useful priority. For really gimmicky players, a Red Card can be a good item option. After their Ghost-type switches in and hit hits Hitmontop, it is forced to switch out, giving Hitmontop an easier time spinning. Overall, it's pretty gimmicky, but it's an option. Hi Jump Kick is a choice over Close Combat for those that need the extra power, but Hitmontop attracts ghosts, and so this really isn't reliable.</p>

<p>There are many Pokemon who benefit from the Rapid Spin support Hitmontop provides. Volcarona stands out as it appreciates not taking 50% damage to enter the field and can set up on the walls who switch in on Hitmontop. Gyarados is also a good teammate as it is a good check to many Pokemon who set up on Hitmontop, such as Skarmory and Hippowdon.</p> (added because the Team Options section is no longer on the current format)

[Other Options]
<p>Hitmontop has several other options available. Intimidate can be added in used for some extra physical bulk, but Technician is what makes Hitmontop so special. Aerial Ace is never a bad choice to counter pokemon like Roobushin Conkeldurr and Breloom, but it doesn't work as well as some of the other moves and doesn't provide much coverage. Bullet Punch can be used as a different priority move, but it does not recieve receive STAB and has limited use. If Mach Punch is underwhelming,(space) other STAB moves can be substituted used. Hitmontop has access to Hi Jump Kick, but it can be risky, as Hitmontop tends to lure in Ghost types. Close Combat is a strong option, but Hitmontop doesn't like the defense drops. (Close Combat is on both sets and Hi Jump Kick is on both set's ADDITIONAL COMMENTS so there's no need to talk about them again here) The safest bet is with Revenge, as it can be boosted with Technician or it can be doubled if the opponent moves first. Low Kick can see some success because even lighter pokemon recieve receive a power boost due to Technician, but it is unreliableand unreliable and can be underwhelming. Toxic can be used on a more stallish set, but Hitmontop has more important things it needs to accompish. Hitmontop has access to Endeavor, Reversal, and priority, giving it great potential to be a reversal Reversal sweeper, but with weather being omni present this generation, it's hard to pull off. Choice Band can be used on Hitmontop for suprise the surprise value, but there are better pokemon Pokemon for this. Same goes for a Choice Scarf set, although Choice Scarf seems really unecessary unnecessary with Hitmontop's access to priority. Hitmontop can run an effective Bulk Up set due to its bulk and power, but its Technitop set works better all around and isn't outclassed by Roobushin Conkeldurr.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>Hitmontop offers Rapid Spin support, which few other pokemon can offer, but many can benefit from it. Urugamosu benefits in particular from Hitmontop's support. Hitmontop can spin away the hazards that cripple it so bad, and in return Urugamosu can set up on walls that try to stop Hitmontop. Gyarados can do the same. Gyarados also serves as a check to many pokemon that try to check Hitmontop, such as Skarmory and Hippowdon. Shanderaa can serve as a lure for many pokemon that Hitmontop counters such as Tyranitar and Doryuuzu. Scizor works wonders with Hitmontop. Scizor needs to switch in and out quite often and is crippled by Spikes and Stealth Rock. In addition, both carry strong STAB priority and can wreck havock on speed based teams. </p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p> Hitmontop has his its (you use "it" on the whole analysis so let's keep it this way) fair share of counters in OU. Any bulky Flying-type can come in on a resisted Mach Punch and threaten it out with STAB Air Slash its STAB attack (because Acrobat and Hurricane users also threaten Hitmontop out). Pokemon like Gliscor are particularly troubling because they often pack strong Flying STAB attacks, such as with Acrobat Acrobatics or can set up on Hitmontop, while Hitmontop deals petty damage in return. Psychic-types (hyphen) also can give Hitmontop a rough time. Pokemon like Rankurusu Reuniclus and Espeon threaten it with a strong STAB Psychic, but they have to watch out for Sucker Punch. Dedicated physical walls and pokemon Pokemon with Intimidate can be tough to deal with, as Hitmontop isn't meant to be a wall breaker wallbreaker. Finally, faster priority users can make things hard for Hitmontop. It relies on its priority to outspeed things, but if the other pokemon has priority of its own, Hitmontop is in trouble give Hitmontop a rough time because it relies on its priority attacks to bypass its subpar Speed.</p>

[Dream World]
<p> Steadfast doesn't do anything for Hitmontop. Flinch haxers abusers like Togekiss deal too much damage anyway, so its hard to find a time when the opponent will flinch Hitmontop. Furthermore, Hitmontop doesn't need speed Speed. It has priority moves to bypass its low speed make up for it and these . Those priority moves rely on Technician for power, so there is really no reason to use Steadfast.(no space)</p>

Bloo

Banned deucer.
sax king has informed me that he will no longer be working on this analysis. If you're interested in writing Hitmontop's analysis, PM Rising_Dusk and myself and we'll consider you! Moving to L&O.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)