Hitmontop (OU Analysis)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
How do I do this again...

Full OU Analysis.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/Pokémon/hitmontop

[Overview]
<p>Hitmontop is a Pokémon with two very usable abilities, both of which suit his capabilities very well. With Intimidate, Hitmontop can be a great Rapid Spinner, capable of spinning past Ghosts to remove entry hazards. However, with Technician, he can deal large amounts of damage before the opponent can even move thanks to his priority moves. Hitmontop is also a great check to any form of Tyranitar, capable of either Intimidating to reduce the impact of physical blows, or outright KOing with Mach Punch. Unfortunately, he cannot do both effectively, as he fails to deal heavy damage with a defensive spread and doesn't have as much bulk with an offensive spread. Hitmontop also fails to do anything significant outside of Rapid Spinning, whereas fellow Rapid Spinners such as Forretress can set up entry hazards, and Starmie can deal large amounts of damage with its attacks. Nevertheless, Hitmontop does a great job at doing what he has to do: supporting your team both defensively and offensively.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Rapid Spin
move 1: Foresight
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge / Rest
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
ability: Intimidate
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is a great Rapid Spinner because of his ability to use Foresight to bypass the Ghost-type's immunity to Normal-type moves. With this move in his arsenal, he can hit Ghost-type Pokémon with Rapid Spin and also damage them with Close Combat. Rapid Spin helps the team by removing annoying entry hazards, while Close Combat helps Hitmontop deal respectable amounts of damage; the drops in defenses don't matter much because Hitmontop will probably be moving second due to his low Speed. Stone Edge is there to deal with Flying-type Pokémon like Gyarados and Dragonite, while also hitting Gengar so he can't set up a Substitute. Rest is also another viable option for use on more stall-based teams, due to Hitmontop's great physical bulk allowing him to come in many times to absorb attacks. It can also be used to remove any status inflictions such as poison or burn, but must be partnered with a cleric.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The given EV spread allows Hitmontop to obtain maximum physical bulk. This, coupled with Intimidate, makes him a great Tyranitar counter. However, a spread of 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature may also be used if you want Hitmontop to come in on Rotom-A's attacks more easily. It allows him to avoid a 3HKO from Choice Scarf Rotom-A's attacks and also gives more buffer room against defensive Rotom-A.</p>

<p>Low Kick can be used over Close Combat if you don't appreciate the drops in defenses from Close Combat. However, it does leave Hitmontop more vulnerable against light physical walls, like Swampert and Vaporeon, along with other light Pokémon, like Shaymin and Jirachi. Sucker Punch can be used in the fourth moveslot in order to revenge kill weakened Pokémon, but is generally too unreliable to take care of Ghost-types. Mach Punch may be used to KO weakened Empoleon, Lucario, and Tyranitar; however, it only 2HKOes max HP Lucario and Tyranitar, and is fairly weak otherwise.</p>

<p>Many Stealth Rock-weak Pokémon, like Dragonite, Gyarados, and Zapdos, appreciate Hitmontop as a partner due to his ability to remove Stealth Rock. Mixed Dragonite can switch in more easily and launch more attacks, while both defensive and offensive Gyarados can more effectively Intimidate opponents. Hitmontop and Gyarados together can run a double Intimidate strategy, meaning that physically-based Pokémon will have a hard time dealing damage. Zapdos can also wall more Pokémon as it no longer loses a large chunk of health every time it switches in. Hitmontop also has good defensive synergy with all of the above Pokémon because he resists Rock-type moves aimed at them.</p>

<p>Scizor's constant U-turning means that he tends to take a lot of entry hazard damage, so he also appreciates having Hitmontop as a partner. If Hitmontop has Rest, then Pokémon that use Heal Bell and Aromatherapy are helpful partners. Some examples include Celebi, Blissey, and Togekiss. Hitmontop resists Celebi's Dark-type weakness, Togekiss's Rock-type weakness, and also has Intimidate to weaken physical attacks that target Blissey.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Technitop
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Close Combat / Low Kick
move 4: Stone Edge / Pursuit
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Technician
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop can also use his secondary ability, Technician, to deal large amounts of damage to the opposing Pokémon. The idea of this set is to use weak priority moves that get boosted by Technician to deal damage before the opposing Pokémon can attack. Technician boosts both Fake Out and Mach Punch, and together the two of them deal effectively a 150 Base Power attack boosted by Life Orb. Mach Punch also helps out in checking Empoleon, Tyranitar, Lucario, and other weakened Pokémon. Close Combat is there to hit bulkier Pokémon such as Machamp and Bronzong, while Low Kick is an alternative if you dislike the drops in defenses from Close Combat. It does, however, miss out on a few notable 2HKOes on Pokémon such as Forretress, Jirachi, Shaymin, and Vaporeon. The last moveslot is delegated to covering Pokémon who shrug off Hitmontop's first three attacks. Stone Edge deals a large amount of damage to Dragonite and Gyarados, and can even 2HKO bulky Gyarados after Intimidate. Pursuit can be used to trap and KO Gengar along with Choice Scarf Rotom-A.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ironically, this moveset has difficulties against Spikers because Hitmontop can't Rapid Spin away any entry hazards. Therefore, Rapid Spin can be used in the last slot in case Forretress and Skarmory decide to get greedy with their Spikes. Bullet Punch can also be used in the last moveslot, but it would only do around 50% to Gengar and thus is outclassed by Pursuit.</p>

<p>Hitmontop has difficulty getting past physically defensive Pokémon like Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Swampert. If he's not using Rapid Spin, then he also has difficulty against Spikers. Both Heatran and Starmie are good partners; Heatran can scare away Skarmory, Forretress, and Metagross, while Starmie can scare away Hippowdon and Skarmory, as well as Rapid Spin away any entry hazards.</p>

<p>If Hitmontop is using Stone Edge, then a Pokémon that can trap and KO Ghost-type Pokémon is a useful partner. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is a great choice as it can lock in and KO Gengar and Rotom-A. If Pursuit is chosen instead, then Pokémon that can check Gyarados and Dragonite are good teammates. Suicune and Vaporeon can check the two fliers, while Choice Scarf Jirachi and Flygon can revenge kill both of them.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Due to Hitmontop's great Rapid Spinning capabilities, Pokémon weak to Stealth Rock really appreciate having him on the team. Dragonite can come in several times if he's using a mixed set and launch off several more Draco Meteors, while Gyarados can tag team Hitmontop in a double Intimidate strategy to reduce the power of physical attackers. Zapdos can also wall Pokémon much more easily if it doesn't lose 25% of its HP every time it switches in, while Togekiss can potentially annoy the opponent much more. Scizor, although having a neutrality to Stealth Rock, also appreciates Rapid Spin because of his tendency to frequently switch in and out of battle.</p>

<p>Hitmontop also appreciates teammates who can absorb status ailments for him. Heatran is a great example because he can absorb Will-O-Wisp and is immune to Toxic. Hitmontop is also a good partner for defensive Pokémon such as Vaporeon, Blissey, and Suicune, as those three will have a harder time walling other Pokémon if their health is being chipped away by poison and entry hazard damage. On stall teams, Hitmontop is also a good member because of his ability to get past Rotom-A, whereas Forretress has to resort to Payback. That, combined with his ability to counter Tyranitar, makes him a unique help for many stall teams.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Hitmontop, he has difficulty bypassing physically defensive Pokémon like Skarmory, Forretress, Metagross, Hippowdon, Swampert, and many others. Strong special attackers, such as Heatran and Starmie, can help eliminate those problems. Heatran can scorch Spikers with his STAB moves, while Starmie can strike with a powerful Hydro Pump and Rapid Spin away any entry hazards.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>There's not much that Hitmontop can do besides what has already been listed. Sucker Punch is an interesting choice, but Gengar will just set up a Substitute, defensive Rotom-A will just use Will-O-Wisp, and Choice Rotom-A will just switch out. Toxic is an intriguing option because of its ability to cripple Swampert and Hippowdon, but Hitmontop often has difficulty finding a spare moveslot for it. Due to Hitmontop's ability to scare away Tyranitar, Rain Dance and Sunny Day are other potential moves to support your team. Hitmontop can also Rapid Spin away the Toxic Spikes that cripple most weather teams. However, be aware that Tyranitar can easily switch in again later on and remove the weather.</p>

<p>A Bulk Up set with Low Kick, Stone Edge, and a coverage move can be used, but with little immediate power, a lack of a recovery move, and his low Speed, Hitmontop won't be sweeping many teams.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Spike-stacking teams don't really have anything to "counter" Hitmontop since he is so reliable at Rapid Spinning away entry hazards. However, they can switch in a faster and powerful Pokémon to force Hitmontop to take heavy damage if he wants to Rapid Spin. Alternatively, Rotom-A or Gengar can Trick a Choice item onto Hitmontop, preventing him from using Foresight and effectively crippling him for the rest of the battle.</p>

<p>Physical walls can also check Hitmontop because of his inability to bypass them effectively. Metagross can Meteor Mash, while Skarmory can Brave Bird or Whirlwind him away. Hippowdon also does a good job at walling Hitmontop due to his access to Slack Off to heal off any Close Combats he might take.</p>

Looks solid supermarth. Maybe a Bulk Up set would be viable for an attacker (another option for Technitop). Something like Bulk Up / Mach Punch / Close Combat / Stone Edge.

Sucker Punch seems like AC material to me on all sets because while it is good coverage, so is Fighting + Rock, and Sucker Punch is actually bad against Gengar (due to SubSplit being the only thing anyone runs), and only ScarfRotom cares about it, others will just Substitute on you or Will O Wisp and stall you out.

EDIT: I forgot about Psychic stuff...but you wont see an Azelf (because they suicide lead), so I really only see Starmie being the target, but it might just Recover stall you.

Looks good to me. I think i agree with Friar on Sucker Punch being AC material, it seems inferior to the other options slashed. Also, it might be worth considering mentioning Low Kick in AC or even a slash. For something thats supposed to take hits and hit in return, the defense drops that Close Combat give can hinder its ability to wall overall. I understand that that the lack of reliable 120 BP may be offsetting so its just an idea. I approve anyhow.

QC Approved [1/3]

I used the Spin set to a lot of success in OU, but I used Mach Punch for pesky things like DD Tyranitar. Can you at least put that in AC?

Edit: oh also please mention that the spinner set makes for an AMAZING teammate with defensive Gyarados. Double Intimidate stops everything physical except Metagross I guess, and Foresight Rapid Spin allows Gyarados to come in very frequently.

OU Technitop seems quite similar to regular Technitop, with Stone Edge over Sucker Punch as the primary slash. Also, does OU Techitop really need Fake Out? Most of Hitmontop's switch-ins take very little from Fake Out. Fake out is only really good against frail fast sweepers, which aren't very common these days. Not to mention that many things you might have wanted to use it on (Gengar, Lucario, Dragonite) are immune or don't flinch...

Perhaps give Pursuit a slot instead? Or Rapid Spin?

Also, does OU Techitop really need Fake Out?
Yes. Free damage.

Fake Out is for when you need extra damage. Fake Out + Close Combat OHKOs Machamp leads (in on payback). Fake Out + Mach Punch beats Jolteon, Infernape, etc. at full health. removing it is just stupid

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pursuit is very useful on TechTop. You can play Priority/Pursuit mindgames against things like Jolteon, and it gives you a way to immediately get rid of Gengar and Starmie (but both of these massively hurt you). Also 2hkos Scarf Rotom-A, who sometimes fails to 2hko back, and ohkos variants that switch expecting Sucker Punch. I'd recommend it...somewhere. Ideally over Sucker Punch.

I don't think rest should really get a slash because that gives too much liability. That is just asking for something like DD Gyrados a free set up and being asleep as the last pokemon just sucks. It will be unavoidable to give your opponent a free turn at some point unless you have a heal bell/aromatherapy which is a little too much extra. I'd give it an AC mention.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Friar: BU's a bit too weak, as Hitmontop doesn't really have the offensive capabilities to break through many physical walls. Sucker Punch was unreliable, so I decided to unslash it.

Megan Fox: Low Kick is cool but it's a bit too weak uninvested so it's just gonna be AC.

Phil: Mach Punch is so weak (it 2HKOes Ttar what), but it would be helpful in some situations for the quick KO. AC mention. Also defensive Gyarados will be mentioned.

FlareBlitz: Completely forgot that Hitmontop learns Pursuit, it's pretty cool because it can trap and KO Gengar and Scarftom so they don't bother your team anymore (Hitmontop needs to be at 60% to even have a chance of dying from LO Shadow Ball).

alex 67: The idea of Rest is that your team is generally more defensive so you should have a Pokemon like Suicune or Vaporeon who can easily check Gyarados. It's meant for longevity in constant Rapid Spinning unlike Forretress who needs Wish passing and has to rely on Payback or like Starmie who on a more defensive team has trouble tanking hits and spinning at the same time.

And I edited the OP.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to request a slash for Low Kick on Technitop, as it hits a lot of OU for at least 100 base Power (the only notable things lower are 90 BP for Blissey, Umbreon, Weavile (tech boost), 80 BP for Swampert and Skarmory, 60 for Jolteon which should get fo/mp'd instead, and 30 for Jirachi (probably the only major performance difference, though special sets carry psychic and physical ones carry iron head)), and again, allows you to tank through more stuff without relying on Close Combat drops. Just make sure you note the significantly decreased performance against Swampert, Skarmory, and Jirachi.

Other than that, looks solid.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Wouldn't Revenge be a better idea than Low Kick since you're always hitting for at least 90 BP, and 120 if you take damage beforehand?

With Revenge, you miss out on outrunning stuff like Swampert / Bronzong / Blissey / Machamp and a few other things. Of those I'd say Swampert and Machamp are most significant. One advantage of Revenge is that it allows you to get an SE hit on Roosting Skarm (provided they would have been slower than you anyway).

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok fuck Revenge, no one likes negative priority + Low Kick is better.

Other then that this needs 1 more QC!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cost said:
if you run 8 spe instead of 4, you outpace cb tar
I don't think a little speed creep won't hurt anybody, and losing a few EVs in HP won't scratch Hitmontop. But lol really, what can Tyranitar do back besides hit you for little damage, even with Earthquake and uneffective STAB moves in Pursuit, Stone Edge, and Crunch?

IMO, I think 8 Speed EVs should be placed on the supportive Hitmontop sets so its health isn't immediately chipped off and made useless when another Pokemon comes into it.

Choice Band Tyranitar Earthquake vs Impish Hitmontop w/ Max HP and Defense: 45.1% - 53.3%

Followed by a Starmie Hydro Pump and friends.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Note that 72 Spe Tyranitar is specifically designed to outrun min base 70s. Increasing the speed of a min base 70 in order to outrun a spread DESIGNED to outrun it is the exact definition of speed creep, since it turns into an unwinnable arms race for both sides. Need I remind you that the issue that originated the whole "let's get rid of speed creep" thing was the suggestion that Lead Metagross, a base 70 running very little speed, was suggested to add 8 Speed EVs in order to outrun the spread of Lead Empoleon, which was specifically designed to outrun... Lead Metagross! Some Speed Creep things are ok, IMO, but this one definitely not.

That said, looks solid.

QC APPROVED (3/3)

i see what you are saying but keep in mind that people never think about hitmontop when choosing ttar's spread, and ou base 70s, or metagross, skarm, and breloom, aren't much motivation to increase the speed evs past where they are now. so yeah i guess it is considered a speed creep, a very minor speed creep, but who cares, hitmontop wins here. i mean it's only 4 evs lol

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
i see what you are saying but keep in mind that people never think about hitmontop when choosing ttar's spread, and ou base 70s, or metagross, skarm, and breloom, aren't much motivation to increase the speed evs past where they are now. so yeah i guess it is considered a speed creep, a very minor speed creep, but who cares, hitmontop wins here. i mean it's only 4 evs lol
If it's "only 4 evs", then what stops Tyranitar from spending "only 8 evs" to beat it? Tyranitar isn't sacrificing its important stat to outrun Hitmontop (a 252/252 spread on cbtar may seem silly but it's not going to magically make it not work, it's still bulky and an offensive beast), but Hitmontop is sacrificing its important defensive stats (despite what you may say, 50/95 isn't stellar as far as defense goes, it's the typing and intimidate which make it good) to do so. If Hitmontop wants to get into a speed race with Tyranitar, it will lose. Either it's slower, or it simply doesn't have the defense to make good on its strengths. Either way, Hitmontop is definitely on the losing end of this speed creep.

i don't want to make a big deal over 4 evs as we are both prone to such things as you know but i don't quite understand, what stops people from using more speed evs is the fact that base 70s match up extremely well against ttar. i cannot remember the last time i came across a max speed cb tar if that is your argument, the 4 more evs are useful for the other 99% of cb tars. and again, it's just 4 evs which makes virtually no difference even with htops crappy defenses. i always use 8 spe for my htops (back then, 20 spe) and i always outpaced cb tars, so it works for me. but w/e

edit: i know that if ttar wants to get in a foot race it will win, but it won't get into one in the first place! that's the point i'm trying to make. even if 4 more spe won't beat every single cb tar that may want to run a bit more speed for whatever reason (which is dumb i mean come on, even if it isn't hurt nearly as much as htop bulkiness-wise), it's still worth it for the majority of cb tar users who just copy the analysis

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Uh yea this analysis is up so if it could get some GP checks that'd be great!

Also I need to talk with R_D about the Speed EVs thing, but otherwise it's going in SpD for the first set and Def for the second.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
i don't want to make a big deal over 4 evs as we are both prone to such things as you know but i don't quite understand, what stops people from using more speed evs is the fact that base 70s match up extremely well against ttar. i cannot remember the last time i came across a max speed cb tar if that is your argument, the 4 more evs are useful for the other 99% of cb tars. and again, it's just 4 evs which makes virtually no difference even with htops crappy defenses. i always use 8 spe for my htops (back then, 20 spe) and i always outpaced cb tars, so it works for me. but w/e
Then run as much speed as you want. We're not implementing your personal speed inclinations when Hitmontop is a Pokemon that needs every point of its defensive stats that it can muster. Tyranitar is perfectly content to get into an arms race with Hitmontop- 72 Spe Tyranitar is a fairly new construct, and for ages it was willing to run 88 to outspeed things that outsped 16 Skarmory, which is outdated. Bottom line is that if Hitmontop wants to get in a foot race with Tyranitar, it will lose. Tyranitar can afford to spend the bulk on speed, but Hitmontop's middling defensive stats (let's face it, if intimidate didn't exist we probably wouldn't even be here) require every point possible poured into them in order to produce the desired result.

Even if we weren't facing this "speed creep" mentality, Hitmontop cannot afford to start racing with Tyranitar. Run whatever you want on your own time, but Hitmontop's should be sitting at min speed on the analysis. Hell, you could even get tricky and give it a 30 speed IV so that it underspeeds Skarmory and can Close Combat or something after Skarmory Roosts.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll check the grammar
With the pork and beans
Excuse my manners
If I make a scene

GP Check 1/2

Deletions
Additions

[Overview]
<p>Hitmontop is a Pokemon with two very usable abilities, both of which suit his capabilities very well. With Intimidate, Hitmontop can run a Rapid Spin set and be a great Rapid Spinner, capable of spinning past Ghosts to remove entry hazards. However, with Technician, he can deal large amounts of damage before the opponent can even move. He Hitmontop is also a great check to any form of Tyranitar, capable of either Intimidating to reduce the impact of physical blows, or outright KOing him with Mach Punch. Unfortunately, he cannot do both effectively, as he fails to deal heavy damage with a defensive spread and doesn't have as much bulk with the offensive spread. Additionally, Hitmontop also fails to do anything significant outside of Rapid Spinning, as whereas fellow Rapid Spinners Forretress can set up entry hazards, and Starmie can deal large amounts of damage with its attacks. Nevertheless, Hitmontop does a great job at doing what he has to do: supporting your team both defensively and offensively.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Rapid Spin
move 1: Foresight
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge / Rest
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
ability: Intimidate
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is a great Rapid Spinner because of his ability to use Foresight to bypass the Ghost-type's immunity to Normal-type moves. With this move in his arsenal, he can hit Ghost-type Pokemon with Rapid Spin and also damage them with Close Combat. Rapid Spin helps the team by removing annoying entry hazards, while Close Combat helps Hitmontop deal respectable amounts of damage; while the defense drops in defenses don't matter as much, because Hitmontop will probably be moving second due to its his low Speed. Stone Edge is there to deal with Flying-type Pokemon like Gyarados and Dragonite, while also hitting Gengar so he can't set up a Substitute against Hitmontop. Rest is also another viable option for more stall-based teams, due to Hitmontop's great physical bulk allowing him to come in many times to absorb attacks. It can also be used to remove any status inflictions such as poison or burn, but must be used with a status curer partnered with a cleric.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The given EV spread allows Hitmontop to obtain the maximum physical bulk. This, coupled with Intimidate, makes him a great Tyranitar counter. However, a spread of 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature may also be used if you want Hitmontop to come in on Rotom-A's attacks more easily. It allows him not to be 3HKOed by avoid a 3HKO from Choice Scarf Rotom-A's attacks, and also gives more buffer room against defensive Rotom-A.</p>

<p>Low Kick can be used over Close Combat if you don't appreciate the defense drops drops in defenses from Close Combat. However, it does leave Hitmontop more vulnerable against light physical walls, like Swampert and Vaporeon, along with other light Pokemon, like Shaymin and Jirachi. Sucker Punch can be used in the 4th moveslot in order to revenge kill weakened Pokemon, but is generally too unreliable to take care of Ghost-type Pokemon. Mach Punch may be used to KO weakened Empoleon, Lucario, and Tyranitar; however, it only 2HKOes max HP Lucario and Tyranitar, and is fairly weak otherwise.</p>

<p>Many Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon, like Dragonite, Gyarados, and Zapdos, appreciate Hitmontop as a partner due to his ability to remove Stealth Rock. Mixed Dragonite can switch in more easily and launch more attacks, while both defensive and offensive Gyarados can more effectively Intimidate opponents. This leads to Hitmontop and Gyarados together can run a double Intimidate strategy, meaning that physically-based Pokemon will have a hard time dealing damage. Zapdos can also wall more Pokemon due to not losing as it no longer loses a large chunk of health every time it switches in. Hitmontop also has good defensive synergy because he resists Rock-type moves aimed at all the aforementioned Pokemon.</p>

<p>Hitmontop is also a good partner to Scizor, as with the constant U-turning that Scizor does, he will be taking a lot of entry hazard damge. Scizor's constant U-turning means that he tends to take a lot of entry hazard damage, so he also appreciates having Hitmontop as a partner. If Hitmontop uses has Rest, then Pokemon that use Heal Bell and Aromatherapy are helpful partners, such as example include Celebi, Blissey, and Togekiss. Hitmontop resists Celebi's Dark-type weakness, and Togekiss's Rock-type weakness, and also has Intimidate to weak Close Combats aimed at weaken physical attackers that head for Blissey.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Technitop
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Close Combat / Low Kick
move 4: Stone Edge / Pursuit
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Technician
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop can also use his secondary ability, Technician, to deal large amounts of damage to the opposing Pokemon. The idea of this set is to use weak priority moves that get boosted by Technician to deal damage before the opposing Pokemon can attack. Both Fake Out and Mach Punch get boosted by Technician, and unresisted the two of them together deal an effective 150 base power backed by Life Orb effectively an 150 Base Power attack boosted by Life Orb. Mach Punch also helps out in checking Empoleon, Tyranitar, Lucario, and other weakened Pokemon. Close Combat is there to hit more bulky bulkier Pokemon such as Machamp and Bronzong, while Low Kick is an alternative choice if you dislike the defense drops drops in defenses from Close Combat. It does, however, miss out on a few notable 2HKOes on Pokemon such as like Forretress, Jirachi, Shaymin, and Vaporeon. The last moveslot is to cover Pokemon who aren't hit by shrug off Hitmontop's first three attacks. Stone Edge deals a large amount of damage to Dragonite and Gyarados, and can even 2HKO bulky Gyarados after Intimidate. Pursuit can be used to trap and KO Gengar along with Choice Scarf Rotom-A.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ironically, this moveset has difficulties against Spikers because Hitmontop can't Rapid Spin away any entry hazards. Therefore, Rapid Spin can be used in the last spot in case Forretress and Skarmory decide to get greedy with their Spiking capabilities Spikes. Bullet Punch can also be used in the last moveslot, but it would only do around 50% to Gengar and thus is outclassed by Pursuit.</p>

<p>Hitmontop has difficulty getting past physically defensive Pokemon like Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Swampert. If he's not using Rapid Spin, then he also has difficulty against Spikers. Both Heatran and Starmie are good partners; because Heatran can scare away Skarmory, Forretress, and Metagross, while Starmie can scare away Hippowdon and Skarmory, and can also as well as Rapid Spin away any entry hazards.</p>

<p>If Hitmontop is using Stone Edge, then a Pokemon that can trap and KO Ghost-type Pokemon is a useful partner. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is a great choice for being able to as it can lock in and KO Gengar and Rotom-A. If Pursuit is chosen instead, then Pokemon that can check Gyarados and Dragonite are good partners teammates. Suicune and Vaporeon can check the aforementioned Pokemon two flyers, while Choice Scarf Jirachi and Flygon can revenge kill both of them.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Due to Hitmontop's great Rapid Spinning abilities capabilities, Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock really appreciate that ability having him on the team. Dragonite can come in several times if he's using a mixed set and launch off several more Draco Meteors, while Gyarados can tag team Hitmontop in a double Intimidate strategy to reduce the power of physical attacks attackers. Zapdos can also wall Pokemon much more easily without having to if it doesn't lose 25% of its HP every time it switches in, while Togekiss can potentially annoy the opponent much more. Scizor, although having a neutrality to Stealth Rock, also appreciates Rapid Spin because of the many times he comes his tendecy to frequently switch in and out of battle.</p>

<p>Hitmontop also appreciates teammates who can absorb status ailments for him. Heatran is a great example because he can absorb Will-O-Wisps and is immune to Toxic. Hitmontop is also a good partner for defensive Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Blissey, and Suicune; as those three Pokemon will have a harder time walling other Pokemon if they're succummed to their health is being chipped away by poison and entry hazard damage. On stall teams, Hitmontop is also a good member because of his ability to get past Rotom-A, whereas Forretress has to resort to use Payback to get past them. That, combined with his ability to counter Tyranitar, makes him a unique teammate for many stall teams.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Hitmontop, he has difficulty bypassing physically defensive Pokemon like Skarmory, Forretress, Metagross, Hippowdon, Swampert, and many others. Strong special attackers, such as Heatran and Starmie, can help remove those Pokemon eliminate these problems. Heatran can scorch Spikers with his STAB moves, while Starmie can strike with a powerful Hydro Pump and Rapid Spin away any entry hazards.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>There's not much that Hitmontop can do otherwise besides what has already been listed. Sucker Punch is an interesting choice, but Gengar will just set up a Substitute, defensive Rotom-A will just use Will-O-Wisp, and Choice Rotom-A will just switch out. Toxic is an optional choice intriguing option because of its ability to cripple Swampert and Hippowdon, but Hitmontop often has difficulty in fitting in a moveslot finding a spare moveslot for it. Due to Hitmontop's ability to scare away Tyranitar, Rain Dance and Sunny Day are other potential moves to support your team. Hitmontop can also Rapid Spin away the Toxic Spikes that cripple most weather teams. However, be aware that Tyranitar can easily switch in again later on and remove the weather.</p>

<p>A Bulk Up set with Low Kick, Stone Edge, and a coverage move can be used, but without much immediate power, the lack of a recovery move, and his low Speed, Hitmontop won't be sweeping many teams.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Spike-stacking based teams don't really have anything to "counter" Hitmontop because of his reliability to Rapid Spin he is so reliable at Rapid Spinning away any entry hazards. However, if they have powerful Pokemon that are faster than him, then they can switch it in they can switch in a speedier powerful Pokemon to force Hitmontop to take heavy damage if he wants to Rapid Spin. Alternatively, Rotom-A or Gengar with a Choice item along with Trick can cripple Hitmontop because he will no longer be able to use Foresight can Trick a Choice item onto Hitmontop, preventing him from using Foresight and crippling him for the rest of the battle.</p>

<p>Physical walls can also check Hitmontop because of his inability to bypass them effectively. Metagross can Meteor Mash, while Skarmory can Brave Bird or Whirlwind him away. Starmie can hit Hitmontop with a Hydro Pump or Surf while he can't do anything back except for Sucker Punch or Pursuit.</p>

- Overall well-written, you obviously know your grammar well, though towards the end some obvious mistakes started to pop up.
- One issue that needs to be worked on is your tendency to write run-on sentences, so I suggest that in future writing you be careful of where commas and semicolons should be used.
- There are places where you omit articles and details when they are needed, other places where you add them when they are unnecessary.
- Some words and sentence structures tend to get repeated a lot, so I've tried to mix it up a little and inject more flavor.
- I have rewritten and restructured some pieces of prose so they flow more naturally.

I hope these comments are useful to you ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)