Doubles Hitmontop

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Overview
########
Although he might not look the part, Hitmontop is a very good supporting Pokemon in Doubles. With access to a wide array of amazing support moves such as Fake Out, Wide Guard, and Feint, Hitmontop will surely pull his weight in many matches. In addition to that, he has access to Intimidate, which allows him to cripple physical attackers, making him even more valuable.

However, there are a couple of things that hamper Hitmontop in doing what he does best. First and foremost, despite his great defenses, even with Intimidate, he can't take repeated hits very well due to his disappointing HP stat and mediocre defensive typing, which doesn't give him many valuable resistances. He also lacks reliable recovery, another downfall for something that will have to take hits multiple times throughout the battle. Furthermore, he has serious four-moveslot syndrome. Being severely vulnerable to burns and losing to pretty much anything that resists his STAB moves doesn't help his case either.

Utility
########
Name: Utility
Move 1: Fake Out
Move 2: Close Combat
Move 3: Wide Guard / Quick Guard
Move 4: Feint / Detect / Sucker Punch
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Nature: Adamant

Moves
========
With this set, Hitmontop is able to disrupt the opponent and protect himself and his allies from threatening attacks as efficiently as possible, giving leeway to his partner to do some serious damage to the opposing team. Fake Out is an excellent move in Doubles, allowing Hitmontop to disarm a dangerous opposing threat right after he switches in. Close Combat is Hitmontop's most reliable STAB attack, dealing decent amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and preventing him from becoming setup bait. The choice between Wide Guard and Quick Guard depends on what your team needs most: Wide Guard is the best option when you are using Pokemon that are threatened by common spread moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Heat Wave, whereas Quick Guard is the preferred option when you're using a team that isn't bulky enough to comfortably take common priority moves, such as Talonflame's Brave Bird, Scizor's Bullet Punch, and Breloom's Mach Punch. Quick Guard also helps defend against Thundurus's Prankster Thunder Wave and against slower Fake Outs. For the last moveslot, Feint is usually the best option, breaking opposing Protects, Wide Guards, and Quick Guards, making it easier for a teammate to deal heavy damage. As a bonus, it can pick off threats that are left with a small amount of HP. Detect can be used if you want to keep Hitmontop safe from harm when the going gets tough. Finally, Sucker Punch is an option to get around Psychic- and Ghost-types, which otherwise fear nothing from Hitmontop. However, it should be noted that Hitmontop doesn't have much offensive prowess, so bulkier Psychic- and Ghost-types can still easily take a Sucker Punch.

Set details
========
The recommended EV spread allows Hitmontop to survive two uninvested Cresselia Psyshocks and Psychics and generally makes him bulky enough to tank a few hits. An Adamant nature and 136 Attack EVs are used because without them, Hitmontop is rather weak. A more offensive spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe is viable, as it outruns Rotom-W and Substitute Heatran and hits harder, but Hitmontop usually prefers to be bulky and survive longer. Sitrus Berry is the item of choice, as Hitmontop really appreciates some recovery with all the moves he has to tank. However, Lum Berry could be used if you are concerned about Hitmontop being burned.

Usage Tips
========
Considering how well he pairs up with common leads and has the ability to support them with Intimidate, Hitmontop makes for an excellent lead, disrupting non-Ghost-type Trick Room setters and breaking Focus Sashes of threats like Terrakion and Shaymin-S with Fake Out. A special mention goes to Mega Kangaskhan, as Hitmontop can form a threatening double Fake Out core with her. Not only does he function well as a lead, but his bulk also allows him to switch in and out so that he can be used anywhere throughout the game. In order to let him function to his fullest potential, it is recommended to remove opposing Will-O-Wisp users from play as soon as possible. Make sure you switch Hitmontop in when you're sure he's not going to take a powerful hit, as he's worn down rather fast without careful play. Use Close Combat with care: once his defenses have dropped, Hitmontop can't take hits well anymore and needs to switch out immediately.

Team Options
========
Due to the plethora of support options provided by Hitmontop, he can fit on many teams with ease. He works best when used on teams that dislike common spread moves, so he makes an ideal partner for the likes of Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, and Scizor, among others. The former two also appreciate Hitmontop's Feint, breaking opposing Protects and Wide Guards and giving them the ability to spam their powerful spread moves fearlessly. Hitmontop doesn't require much support himself, but he does appreciate partners that can get rid of opposing Psychic- and Ghost-types. Therefore, Bisharp and Tyranitar pair excellently with him.

Other Options
########
Hitmontop's movepool has many great moves to utilize outside of what's been listed, and if you can manage to find room on his moveset for one of these, they will surely be helpful. Helping Hand is an excellent option which allows his teammates to hit harder, which is appreciated by many powerful threats that commonly accompany him. Stone Edge is a neat option to hit Flying-types like Talonflame, Thundurus, and Shaymin-S hard on the switch. Rest can be used in conjunction with Chesto Berry to give Hitmontop more longevity while also allowing him to restore from a burn, but being as hard-pressed for moveslots as he is, you're usually better off using Sitrus Berry. An Assault Vest set consisting of Fake Out / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Feint or Sucker Punch and an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe with an Adamant nature is a cool option, but it faces competition from Scrafty, which trades more power and a priority move for more durability and a Dark-type STAB move in Knock Off. Expert Belt with the same spread as the Assault Vest set is an option over the standard Sitrus Berry set, allowing Hitmontop to score some OHKOs he usually wouldn't get, such as an OHKO on Heatran and a good chance at OHKOing Chople Berry Tyranitar. Stone Edge works especially well on this set, scoring a guaranteed OHKO on 4 HP Thundurus as well as a guaranteed 2HKO on 4 HP Salamence.

Checks & Counters
########
**Attack Control**: Landorus-T and Gyarados can weaken Hitmontop with Intimidate and resist Close Combat. Will-O-Wisp cripples Hitmontop by halving its attack, and Ghost-type users like Chandelure, Gourgeist-XL, and Trevenant are especially dangerous, as Hitmontop can't do anything to them in return.

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types can easily switch into anything Hitmontop can throw at them and retaliate with a super-effective move. Togekiss deserves a special mention, as she not only 4x resists Fighting, but she also can redirect Hitmontop's Close Combat thanks to Follow Me, meaning that Hitmontop has no means of doing anything useful while she's on the field. Much like Psychic-types, Flying-types can switch in safely because they resist Hitmontop's STAB attacks and can threaten it with powerful moves. Notable examples include Talonflame (if Hitmontop lacks Quick Guard), Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt users such as Thundurus-I and Aerodactyl can prevent Hitmontop from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard, thus prevent him from doing his job successfully. Encore also stops Hitmontop, as he hates being locked into something like Fake Out, but Encore is a rather rare move. Rage Powder users like Amoonguss and Volcarona can redirect Hitmontop's Close Combats, hindering his performance. In addition, Amoonguss can put Hitmontop to sleep with Spore.

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Excellent, I really can't think of much more for our top friend.
Well, besides:
-Mega Kangaskhan and Hitmontop are an excellent lead, double Fake Out, top fakes out enemy and kangas Returns, Top fakes out other Top and Kangas destroys, kangas fakes out kangas and top destroys kangas...
-While Scrafty is bulkier, Hitmontop has more raw power, scares Scrafty itself away and is not OHKOd by another CC.

1/3

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Regarding Assault Vest in OO, Feint and Stone Edge are also viable options on it. In fact, I prefer Stone Edge over Rock Slide on Hitmontop (Assualt Vest or not). It more reliably OHKOs Mega Zard, Volcarona, and Talonflame; in practice, you commonly lead with Hitmontop, and when that happens, it usually gets Intimidated, preventing Rock Slide from netting a OHKO.

termi

Regarding Assault Vest in OO, Feint and Stone Edge are also viable options on it. In fact, I prefer Stone Edge over Rock Slide on Hitmontop (Assualt Vest or not). It more reliably OHKOs Mega Zard, Volcarona, and Talonflame; in practice, you commonly lead with Hitmontop, and when that happens, it usually gets Intimidated, preventing Rock Slide from netting a OHKO.
I'll implement this and what Joim suggested

E: In fact, I did it just now.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
- In the overview, mention how Hitmontop is forever plagued by Ghost,- and Psychic-type Pokemon outside of an un reliable move in Sucker Punch

-Slash Detect in front of Sucker Punch - Detect and Wide/Quick Guard no longer work on the same mechanics so can be used in sequence

-Rest, paired with a Chesto Berry, should be added to Other Option as it allows Hitmontop to fully recover all damage and use it's natural bulk with excellent move pool to further support it's team.

termi

- In the overview, mention how Hitmontop is forever plagued by Ghost,- and Psychic-type Pokemon outside of an un reliable move in Sucker Punch

-Slash Detect in front of Sucker Punch - Detect and Wide/Quick Guard no longer work on the same mechanics so can be used in sequence

-Rest, paired with a Chesto Berry, should be added to Other Option as it allows Hitmontop to fully recover all damage and use it's natural bulk with excellent move pool to further support it's team.
Edited these in

Add Flying-types to **Offensive Typing Advantage** since they can switch in and attack with their STAB moves. Examples include Talonflame (if Hitmontop lacks Quick Guard), Mega-Pinsir, and Charizard-Y.

Also add a **Utility Moves** tab since Hitmontop is really weak to Taunt and Encore.

termi

Add Flying-types to **Offensive Typing Advantage** since they can switch in and attack with their STAB moves. Examples include Talonflame (if Hitmontop lacks Quick Guard), Mega-Pinsir, and Charizard-Y.

Also add a **Utility Moves** tab since Hitmontop is really weak to Taunt and Encore.
Taunt doesn't stop him cold, the only thing that gets disabled by it is its Wide/Quick Guard and possibly Detect. Encore is very rare as far as I'm concerned so not really worth a mention imo (unless you can prove me otherwise)

I'll add the flying types.

I didn't say it stopped them cold, it's just that any user of Taunt that resists/is immune to Close Combat can keep it from supporting the team which is the main purpose of using Hitmontop. This adds stuff like Thundurus, Gengar, and Aerodactyl who don't apply to **offensive typing advantage** because they cant break through Hitmontop's bulk. Intimidate neuters Aerodactyl, Thundurus needs many hits to break through, and Gengar is weak to Sucker Punch. Nevertheless they make good checks to Hitmontop because they cut Hitmontop's supporting movepool and allow their partners to use spread/priority spam.

tldr stopping hitmontop from doing its job checks Hitmontop just as reliably as offensively threatening it. Adding Taunt just gives the reader more options of doing so.

You can leave encore out because it is uncommon, but it does stop hitmontop cold, making it a fantastic check for Hitmontop the reader might want to incorporate into their team.

termi

I didn't say it stopped them cold, it's just that any user of Taunt that resists/is immune to Close Combat can keep it from supporting the team which is the main purpose of using Hitmontop. This adds stuff like Thundurus, Gengar, and Aerodactyl who don't apply to **offensive typing advantage** because they cant break through Hitmontop's bulk. Intimidate neuters Aerodactyl, Thundurus needs many hits to break through, and Gengar is weak to Sucker Punch. Nevertheless they make good checks to Hitmontop because they cut Hitmontop's supporting movepool and allow their partners to use spread/priority spam.

tldr stopping hitmontop from doing its job checks Hitmontop just as reliably as offensively threatening it. Adding Taunt just gives the reader more options of doing so.

You can leave encore out because it is uncommon, but it does stop hitmontop cold, making it a fantastic check for Hitmontop the reader might want to incorporate into their team.
well ok did it, can I get them QC approvals now so I can beg Pwne to give me leaderboard points finish this entry? thx in advance

in set details, the first bullet point is pointless (hue). You repeat the same thing in the next couple of bullet points but with an actual explanation, so might as well remove the first point.

I'd mention mawile as a good teammate. It forms a double intimidate core with hitmontop, which shuts down physical attackers. It really appreciates the wide guard support as its weak to heat wave and earthquake. Mega mawile also punches holes in the opponents team while hitmontop can disable a mon for one turn with fake out, or revenge kill something threatening mawile with sucker punch. They go together very well and make good teammates imo

move detect from oo to moves now its on the set

don't have to listen, I'm not qc but those are my 2 cents :)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Robert Alfons here you go:
  • Add Expert Belt mention somewhere. With max Atk, Stone Edge gets KOs on 4 HP Thund, 252 HP Heatran (goes from 6% to guaranteed), 252 HP ChopleTar (goes from 0% chance to 69%, guarantees a 2HKO on Salamence after Intimidate, and might do some other things too. Tl;dr it's pretty cool, should be mentioned
  • Mention Amoonguss which messes with Hitmontop alot
  • "Fake Out / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Sucker Punch or Feint" <---- switch feint and sucker punch, sucker punch is p. weak and doesnt really ko much of anything outside of low health so feint generally has more utility
  • Don't mention Rock Slide, it is really too weak with the spread reduction and Hitmontop's pedestrian attack. Stone Edge should really be what is used if you're aming to hit flying types
  • Mention Gyarados in Attack Control section w/ Lando-T

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a note that you should specify 4 hp thund when talkin about EBelt so they don't think it will ohko bulky thund

You don't need the defensive typing advantages tab because the only thing you mention in it is ghosts with wow, and you already mention that in attack control

• Add a lack of reliable recovery to the list of disappointments in the overview.
  • The last sentence of the overview is fluff. Take it out. Same with the first sentence of Moves.
  • Take out Dusclops in Ghost-types with wow that counter Hitmontop and add Gourgeist-Super and Chandelure since they are better.

termi

• Add a lack of reliable recovery to the list of disappointments in the overview.
  • The last sentence of the overview is fluff. Take it out. Same with the first sentence of Moves.
  • Take out Dusclops in Ghost-types with wow that counter Hitmontop and add Gourgeist-Super and Chandelure since they are better.
Implemented.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
will give a real rate later but top isnt considered one of the best supportin mons anymore so you should change that line. somethin like is a great supporting mon or something would be more appropriate

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
spoke with you on irc about the changes you should make and you did, good work horse

(QC APPROVED 3/3)

termi

Ready for GP, idk whoever wualifies for that shit but uhhh get down to it I suppose?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
AM GP CHECK
Add
Remove
Comments

Overview
########
<p>Although he might not look like the part, Hitmontop is a very good supporting Pokemon in Doubles. With access to a wide array of amazing support moves such as Fake Out, Wide Guard and Feint, the Handstand Pokemon surely will pull his weight in many matches. On top In addition to of that, he has access to Intimidate, which allows him to cripple physical attackers on the opponent's side of the field, making him even more valuable.

However, there are a couple of things that hamper Hitmontop in doing what he does best. First and foremost,; despite his great defenses, bolstered by even with Intimidate,; he can't take repeated hits very well due to his disappointing HP stat and mediocre defensive typing, which simply doesn't give him that many valuable resistances. He also lacks reliable recovery, another downfall for something that will have to take hits multiple times throughout the battle. Furthermore, he wants to run way more moves than he can run on one set has serious four-moveslot syndrome. Being severely vulnerable to burns, as well as to anything that resists Fighting type moves, doesn't help his case either (I have no idea what you are trying to say here).</p>

Utility
########
Name: Utility
Move 1: Fake Out
Move 2: Close Combat
Move 3: Wide Guard / Quick Guard
Move 4: Feint / Detect / Sucker Punch
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Nature: Adamant

Moves
========
<p>With this set, Hitmontop is able to disrupt the opponent and protect himself and his allies from threatening attacks as efficiently as possible, giving leeway to his partner to do some serious damage to the opposing team. Fake Out is an excellent move in Doubles, allowing him to disarm a dangerous opposing threat right after he switches in. Close Combat is Hitmontop's most reliable STAB attack, dealing decent amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and preventing him from becoming setup bait. The choice between Wide Guard and Quick Guard depends on what your team needs most: Wide Guard is the best option when you are using Pokemon that are threatened by common spread moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide and Heat Wave, whereas Quick Guard is the preferred option when you're using a team that isn't bulky enough to comfortably take common priority moves,(RC) such as Talonflame's Brave Bird, Scizor's Bullet Punch and Breloom's Mach Punch. Quick Guard also helps defend against Thundurus' Prankster Thunder Wave and against slower Fake Outs. For the last moveslot, Feint is usually the best option, breaking opposing Protects,(Add comma) as well as Wide Guards,(Add comma) and Quick Guards, making it easier for a teammate to deal heavy damage. As a bonus, it can pick off threats that are left with only a few % small amount of their HP remaining. Detect can be used if you want to keep Hitmontop safe from harm when the going gets tough I like this. Finally, Sucker Punch is an viable option to get around Psychic types and Ghost types, which otherwise fear nothing Hitmontop brings. It should be noted that Hitmontop doesn't have much offensive prowess, however, and that bulkier Psychic types and Ghost types can still easily take a Sucker Punch.</p>

Set details
========
<p>The recommended EV spread allows Hitmontop to survive two of uninvested Cresselia's Psyshocks and Psychics and to generally make him bulky enough to tank a few hits. An Adamant nature and 136 Attack EVs are used because without them, Hitmontop is rather weak. A more offensive spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe is viable, as it outruns Rotom-W and Substitue Heatran and hits harder, but Hitmontop usually prefers to be bulky and have more survivability survive longer. Sitrus Berry is the item of choice, for as Hitmontop really appreciates some recovery what with all the moves he has to tank. However, Lum Berry could be used if you are concerned about Hitmontop being burned, however.</p>

Usage Tips
========
<p>Considering how well he pairs up with common leads, as well as his and has the ability to support them with Intimidate, Hitmontop makes for an excellent lead, disrupting non-Ghost type Trick Room setters and breaking Focus Sashes of threats like Terrakion and Shaymin-S with Fake Out. A special mention goes to Mega Kangaskhan, as Hitmontop can form a threatening double Fake Out core together with her. Hitmontop can be used anywhere throughout the match, however I don't get this. In order to let him function to his fullest potential, it is recommended to remove opposing Will-o-Wisp users from play as soon as possible. Make sure you switch Hitmontop in when you're rather sure he's not going to take a powerful hit upon switching in, as he's worn down rather fast without careful play. Use Close Combat with care: Once his defenses have dropped, Hitmontop can't take hits well at all anymore and prefers needs to switch out immediately.</p>

Team Options
========
<p>Due to the plethora of support provided by Hitmontop, he can fit on many a teams with ease I actually like using "many a whatever" but not here. He works best when used on teams that dislike common spread moves, so he makes an ideal partner for the likes of Heatran, Mega Charizard-Y and Scizor, among others. The former two also appreciate Hitmontop's Feint, breaking opposing Protects and Wide Guards and giving them the ability to spam their powerful spread moves fearlessly. Hitmontop doesn't require much support himself, but he does appreciate partners that can get rid of opposing Psychic types and Ghost types. Therefore, Bisharp and Tyranitar pair excellently with him.</p>

Other Options
########
<p>Hitmontop's movepool has many great moves to utilize outside of what's been listed, and if you can manage to find room on his moveset for one of these, they will surely be helpful. Helping Hand is an excellent option which allows his teammates to hit harder, which is appreciated by many powerful threats accompanying him. Stone Edge is a neat option to hit Flying types like Talonflame, Thundurus and Shaymin-S hard on the switch. Rest can be used in conjunction with Chesto Berry to give Hitmontop more longevity,(RC) while also allowing him to restore from a burn, but being as hard-pressed for moveslots as he is, you're usually better off using Sitrus Berry. An Assault Vest set with consisting of Fake Out / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Feint or Sucker Punch and an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe with an Adamant nature is a cool option, but it faces competition from Scrafty, which trades more power and a priority move for more durability and a priority move for a Dark-type STAB move in Knock Off. Expert Belt with the same spread as the Assault Vest set is an option over the standard Sitrus Berry set, allowing Hitmontop to score some OHKO's he usually wouldn't get, such as an OHKO on Heatran and a good chance at OHKOing Chople Berry Tyranitar. Stone Edge works especially well on this set, scoring a guaranteed OHKO on 4 HP Thundurus as well as a guaranteed 2HKO on 4 HP Salamence.</p>

Checks & Counters
########
**Attack Control**:

<p>Landorus-T and Gyarados can weaken Hitmontop with Intimidate and resist Close Combat. Will-o-Wisp cripples Hitmontop by halving its Attack.,(RC) Ghost-type users like Chandelure, Gourgeist-Super and Trevenant are especially dangerous,(RC) since Hitmontop can't do anything to them in return.</p>

**Offensive Typing Advantage**:

<p>Bulky Psychic-types and Fairy-types can easily switch into anything Hitmontop can throw at them and retaliate with a super-effective move. Togekiss deserves a special mention, as she not only 4x resists Fighting, but she can even redirect Hitmontop's Close Combat thanks to Follow Me, meaning that Hitmontop has no means of doing much useful while she's on the field. Much like Psychic-types, Flying-types can switch in safely because they resist Hitmontop's STAB and can threaten it with powerful moves. Notable examples include Talonflame (if Hitmontop lacks Quick Guard), Mega Pinsir and Mega Charizard-Y.</p>

**Utility Moves**:

<p>Taunt users such as Thundurus-I and Aerodactyl can prevent Hitmontop from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard,(add comma) and thus prevent him from doing his job successfully. Encore is an even better utility move to also stops Hitmontop with, as it hates being locked into something like Fake Out,; but Encore is a rather rare move. Rage Powder users like Amoonguss and Volcarona can redirect its Close Combats, hindering Hitmontop's performance. In addition, Amoonguss can put Hitmontop to sleep with Spore.</p>

Also, this in in "Copyediting" and not "Quality control." Please change. Otherwise, good job, and may the official GPers not be too picky with you!

note this does not count towards your GP count

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)