1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Homespun Heroes - First RMT!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by GarretIronshield, Apr 27, 2013.

1. GarretIronshield

GarretIronshield

***HOMESPUN HEROES***

Literally just came up with this name three minutes ago.

About Me: So, I'm not at all new to the boards (been lurking for close to 6 months), nor am I new to competitive (been playing for ~2 years). I've just never gotten a team I've really wanted to post on the RMT forums.

But recently, I've had some success with one of my new NU teams, inspired by the tier changes. I've been playing with this team almost exclusively since the tier change, and have gotten my ACRE score up to ~1650 on my alt (Grandma Uncle [ALT] on Showdown). I know this really means very little, since ACRE is silly, so I'll grab you my Glicko2 score real quick, with this team (and this team ONLY):

Glicko2: 1701 ± 46 68(wins) 33(losses)

Again, this isn't superb or anything, but it was a milestone for me.

Anyway, I frequent Showdown, and you'll probably see me arguing about the Rangers (hockey) the Mets (baseball) or some kind of "thiz iz best pkmn evar" (which is currently Vileplume).

Now that I've wasted enough of your time, here's the actual team.

THE TEAM

[​IMG]
    Scolipede (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Swarm
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Spikes
    - Earthquake
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide

A recent drop to NU. Piqued my interest since he was on my first competitive team ever (my sides hurt, looking at that team). I play him similar to how I played him on that previous team: super-fast, sash spiker. His job is literally to just lay Spikes. His three offensive are for those serious lead threats that pop up every once and a while, and for when Scolipede survives after laying down Spikes. The hazards help Primeape and my bulky pivots grab some KO's they normally wouldn't have gotten. Earthquake/Rock Slide for EdgeQuake coverage. Megahorn because POWER.

[​IMG]
    Primeape (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Punishment

Scarf Ape: Best Scout-Scarfer hybrid in the metagame. I play him as clean-up, revenge killing, scouting, and screwing Lovely Kiss Jynx. Fast and powerful, although not as powerful as Sawk obviously. Outspeeds most of the unscarfed metagame. CC KO's a lot of threats after hazards. U-turn for scouting purposes. Stone Edge to beat down Flying-types. Punishment (Primeape's main advantage over Sawk) to literally punish CM Mushy and Stored Power Sigilyph. I love this guy.

[​IMG]
    Vileplume (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Effect Spore
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Aromatherapy
    - Synthesis

Dear god, Vileplume. I tried a million different things in this spot, and finally found the right fitting guy in Vileplume. I play him as: Bulky-Pivot-Cleric-Secondary-DEFWall. With great defensive typing (mainly Poison) and two support moves Vileplume becomes my go-to Sawk/Ape/Most things physical counter. But the best part is Effect Spore.

I... I can't name all the times Effect Spore has changed the game. That para on Sawk, that poison on Alomomola, the two sleeping mons on the opponent's team. It's sleep-clause shattering, pokemon-breaking, team-screwing Effect Spore. I love it.

Enough Vileplume fanboy. Giga Drain for a great STAB move with recovery, Sludge Bomb to round it out (and to nab a poison waaaay too many times than I should have). Aromatherapy to help out with burns/paras on Ape, toxics on my walls.

I <3 Vileplume.

[​IMG]
    Gardevoir (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Psychic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect

So, with Gardevoir. I played around with as many sets as I could get my hands on with her. I tried most notably: CM + 3 attacks, Bastardized WoW Set, Pure Wish Pass... until I finally came to this one. It routinely annoys opponents with it's bulk. Wish helps everybody (except maybe Vileplume), but especially Seismitoad who lacks recovery. Psychic for some STAB. Will-O-Wisp makes Gardevoir bulky on both sides, crippling physical pokes. And Protect for Wish-Protect and, to rack up some more after-turn effects and lefties. Overall, still iffy on Gardevoir, but happy about where she is now.

[​IMG]
    Magmar (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 44 Spd / 252 SAtk / 212 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power Grass

I was looking for some Fire-Types to round out my team. I tried ShellSmash Torkoal, which I absolutely love, but it just didn't work on this team; I didn't need the spinning, and he wasn't rounded enough to be the bulky pivot I needed. I played around with Monferno (that was a mistake, as it always is). I came to Magmar, threw an Eviolite on it, and was amazed. His special bulk is surprisingly strong (he can take a more than a few unresisted hits). With Sub, he can get a little insurance after threatening with a Flamethrower (which used to be Lava Plume, but I wasn't impressed with LP). Focus Blast for coverage. HP Grass because it's hilarious when people try to switch Caracosta or Seismitoad in on Magmar. I play him as a Bulky Pivot as well, except just specially bulky.

[​IMG]
    Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Surf
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic

My physical wall. I think Physically-Defensive Seismitoad is super underrated. His bulk is surprising, and can tank more than a few physical hits. But most importantly, it beats Alomomola switch-in, and Caracosta unexpectantly. I really like him. SR for more hazards, Surf and Earth Power for coverage. Toxic to cripple opposing walls.

Notes:
    • I'm aware that I have very few physical attackers here. They only time it really hurts is when Mushy becomes unbreakable (rarely).
    • I'm looking for thoughts, comments, and advice! Try to keep it constructive. (Although this is the internet, so... ;D )
    • As per Garchomp's suggestion, I am playtesting Ice Punch over Stone Edge on Primeape.
    • As per Ium's advice, I am seriously considering playtesting Specially-Defensive Vileplume, Golem, and Misdreavus, with these sets:

[​IMG] golem @ leftovers or lum berry | sturdy
      adamant nature | 200 hp / 252 atk / 56 spe
      stealth rock / rock blast / earthquake / sucker punch

[​IMG] misdreavus @ eviolite | levitate
      bold nature | 232 hp / 252 def / 24 spe
      foul play / will-o-wisp / pain split / taunt

Hope you liked my first RMT!
  2. Garchomp for president

Garchomp for president

OK I see your team is weak to the ever common Jynxs and and Scolipede. Thankfully you have your magmar except its 2xs weak to rocks and turns to 50% HP I believe after spikes. Its weak to water and can't touch Lodecolo which pretty much gets a free rain dance after the switch. But have it be said you scarfed primape's U-Turn finishes the job. Also, a Volt-Turn combo works wonders for stall teams. A speced rotom-F works wonders for you team as you should have Toxic spikes on scolipede anyway
    It keeps on pressure, builds momentum, and forces switches that dikes take advantage of. A rocker would be nice but Momentum, momentum, momentum. Also Ice Punch>Stone Edge. I like its power too but accuracy is the key.
  3. GarretIronshield

GarretIronshield

I did notice a weakness to Jynx overall, but on the front of stopping Jynx from setting up, I believe I'm fine. I have two Vital Spirit mons, and either one can come in an crush Jynx on a predicted Lovely Kiss.

As for Scolipede, Seismitoad takes care of him like he's nothing, and Vileplume can fish for an Effect Spore, while tanking plenty of hits, if Toad can't wall Scolipede through some terrible twist of fate.

As for Ludicolo, I see where you're coming from, but I don't see Ludi as much as I used to. But that's not much of an excuse. I believe Gardevoir has the sheer special bulk to tank a Surf or two, and even then if he wants to spam Surf, I have Vileplume + Water Absorb Seismitoad. I'll keep switching and predicting till Rain goes away, then switch to an appropriate counter/threat - Primeape or Scolipede (if he's still alive).

Of course, having one threat to Ludi and a conditional threat isn't a good game plan. I'll make sure to keep a sharp eye out for Ludicolo, and play carefully. :)

Specs Rotom-F sounds like a good idea, but I'm not trying to make a stall team. More like All-Around Bulk. I agree that Volt-Turn would definitely work, but having another SR weak poke on top of Magmar, with no spinner would hurt too much to justify removing any other pokes for Rotom-F (which is just another special attacker by the way).

Toxic Spikes over Spikes: I'm not sure why I'd want that with so many Poison-types running around NU. I feel spikes does the same job: pressuring the scarcity of spinners in NU to switch in and get wrecked.

I will definitely think about putting Ice Punch over Stone Edge on Primeape, since I see no reason why I shouldn't. EDIT: Besides not hitting Bug-Types for super effective damage...

Thanks for the advice!
  4. GarretIronshield

GarretIronshield

(Bump. Still looking for more advice and rates. :] )
  5. ium

ium rowan stinks
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

the lack of a normal- and flying-type resistance kind of hurts your team, and every member risks getting hit hard. i'd probably go for replacing seismitoad with golem which maintains a ground typing to check stuff like choice-locked electric-types, but also allows the ability to check the threats aforementioned.

additionally, for a team that leans towards balance, you have shaky ways of dealing with stuff like sawk or primeape. you may want to use misdreavus over gardevoir in order to give yourself an immunity to fighting- and normal-types that can otherwise threaten your team and get past golem. i also think the ground immunity is incredibly helpful too since it'll give you a buffer against stuff like offensive torterra or golurk that could easily come in on your slower pokemon.

and lastly, vileplume can shift its defensive investment to special defense so that you can still check certain specially-based water-types (provided you don't switch into an ice beam) instead of being flat out swept by them.

[​IMG] golem @ leftovers or lum berry | sturdy
    adamant nature | 200 hp / 252 atk / 56 spe
    stealth rock / rock blast / earthquake / sucker punch

[​IMG] misdreavus @ eviolite | levitate
    bold nature | 232 hp / 252 def / 24 spe
    foul play / will-o-wisp / pain split / taunt
  6. GarretIronshield

GarretIronshield

I'll admit, I did notice problems with a few flying-types and normal-types, specifically Braviary and boosting Lickilicky. I find that my best counter to Licky is Pirmeape, and if he's dead, or Licky's behind a sub... I'm kind of screwed. For Braviary, I have to fish for Effect Spores, or Seismitoad, which doesn't have THAT much bulk as to take more than two Band/Scarf BB's.

As for Sawk and Ape, a combination of Gardevoir, Seismitoad (who is seriously a good counter to Sawk and Ape), and Vileplume (and even Magmar sometimes, if rarely) can usually deal with the two threats. If Scoli is still alive, there's a quad resist there. I don't seem to have problem with either of those pokes.

I can see both Misdreavus and Golem as good help here. I may playtest a second version of this team with those two, as well as the specially-defensive version of Viplume.

Although I really, REALLY like Physically-Defensive Vileplume. :D

Thanks for the advice, Ium!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)