Horn-to-Horn Matchup - A Colossoil Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Hello Smogon CAP people, and non CAP players as well! Here we are the "r" users presenting you a warstory that pretty much sums up how the metagame fares with the addition of the mighty Colossoil. This happened during the last LNT of the Season, which let people use Colossoil, and gathered a lot of interested players. We were in the favorite players to win it since we are both regulars in the CAP server and regular playtesters as well. Noob Plus matched us Round 2 (we dont eat that "it was the matchmaker fault" thing Plus!!) and so it all began...

Here are the teams:

reachzero's team:

ReyScarface's team:

- Evasion Clause
- Freeze Clause
- OHKO Clause
- Sleep Clause
- Soul Dew Clause
- Species Clause
- Strict Damage Clause
- Timed Battle

reachzero sent out Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
ReyScarface sent out Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).

Well here we go, the match starts, we say our GLs, hopefully that will mean there will be no hax in this game, and begins the clash. Im in a very good position here, since Starmie can easily beat Infernape lead one on one. Hydro Pump followed by Rapid Spin finishes it off, while surviving, and possibly even spinning rocks. The reason I picked Starmie as my lead is because it doesnt let your opponent get rocks up, and my team loves that. It can also OHKO Colossoil (barring Sucker Punch) and a lot of teams are weak to it. Enough speech, for now, ill just Hydro Pump the brother!

Lead Starmie is obviously a major issue for my Infernape, in fact it's probably the worst lead matchup for me. Both of us know that Hydro Pump is the obvious move for Rey to use here, so I know that I need to be able to take a strong Water move and threaten Starmie in return. Shaymin is the obvious choice for that.

reachzero switched in Shaymin (lvl 100 Shaymin).
Starmie used Hydro Pump.
It's not very effective...
Shaymin lost 33% of its health.
Starmie lost 10% of its health.

- 100%
(reachzero)
- 67%
- 90%

That turned out not as bad as I thought. Shaymin is down to 2/3rds of its HP, which means Ice Beam is an easy KO, since its double the power of a resisted Hydro Pump. But... theres a downside to this. I can kill the Shaymin, yes. But what comes next? I know reachzero, and he would never waste the chance of using Colossoil since its a really good pokemon. Once I finish that Shaymin he will bring that Colossoil, and then im in a tight spot. It can Pursuit, Sucker Punch, have a Scarfed Crunch, etc, and while losing a lead isnt bad as some people think, losing Starmie in this moment is horrible, since I lose my spinner, one of 2 things that can OHKO his Infernape and also a poke that threatens him the most (if he brought in Shaymin to take Hydro Pump, it means he has nothing to take a Hydro Pump better). Now, what will Shaymin do, pretty obvious. Seed Flare or Grass Knot, none of those can really hurt Latias, who packs Grass Knot to OHKO Colossoil, so my move is decided.

Ouch, Starmie is a lot stronger than I gave it credit for....I didn't expect to lose a third of my HP switching in on a resisted move! It's pretty obvious that Ice Beam will KO Shaymin, but I don't really have anything better to switch into Starmie, so I might as well stay in, then go to Colossoil when Shaymin dies.

ReyScarface switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Latias lost 30% of its health.
Shaymin lost 10% of its health.
Latias's leftovers restored its health a little!
Latias restored 6% of its health.

- 57%
- 76% (ReyScarface)

Indeed reachzero packs a strong LO Seed Flare, and he doesnt get a sp def drop, which leads me to think he will switch. Now, I could easily waste this free turn by using Calm Mind, but again, im in a horrible position as I was with Starmie, since Colossoil comes in and instantly threatens my Latias. If I evaded that first, why cant I evade it once again! Im pretty sure reachzero thinks I will either Calm Mind or Recover, its a Lefties Latias afterall, but I cannot risk that Shaymin hitting me again with Seed Flare while I hit it with Grass Knot, since Latias goes down. My best move seems to be bringing in Infernape, who can take an assault from LO Shaymin, and its also an excellent position to be vs Colossoil, since I OHKO with Close Combat.

I have no idea why Rey went to Latias there instead of just killing Shaymin, but it is a bit of a mixed blessing for me. On the one hand, Shaymin can do almost nothing to Latias, so if I stay in Shaymin is no better than set-up fodder. Now, it's virtually a certainty that Latias will attack here, to prevent Colossoil from coming in. The attack is likely to be either Grass Knot or Dragon Pulse, since Surf seems to be comparatively rare on Latias in this metagame. Jirachi resists both those moves and Rey has no way of knowing that my Jirachi is not Scarfed, so I decide that it is my best way to regain momentum in this match.

reachzero switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
ReyScarface switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).

- 100%

- 100% (ReyScarface)

Well, that was a big waste. Reach wasnt going to risk Shaymin or Colossoil, and decided to bring what is possibly a Scarf Jirachi, or a Calm Mind variant. I should have Calm Minded with Latias, since I pack the always useful Hidden Power Fire, which would have dispatched his Jirachi and left me at a favorable position. Now, not that im in a bad position, in fact, im in a very good one, since Infernape can easily OHKO Jirachi. Reach has been playing really conservatively as of now, and I know he wont let his Jirachi get OHKOd that easily, so instead of picking a fire attack, im going to scout his counter with U-Turn (lol U-Turn on Mixape???? Yeah, dont call me crazy though! Its an excellent move in this metagame).

At this point I suspect that I am going to have to come from way behind in order to win this game, because I am in big trouble. Infernape double-switching in puts me in absolutely terrible position, as even with the threat of Scarf Jirachi can't do a whole lot to threaten Infernape. I need to switch here, and both of us know it. I have two Pokemon that can switch into Infernape, but of the two, Gyarados is the one that worries less about U-turn, so that is the way to go here.

reachzero switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's Intimidate cut Infernape's attack!
Infernape used U-turn.
Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
ReyScarface switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Infernape lost 10% of its health.

- 90%
- 90%

- 90%

Excellent. My plan actually worked for once! This is very good since now I have the momentum completely on my side, and once again I threaten that Gyarados of an OHKO by LO Thunderbolt. I told you Starmie was going to be useful! But lets think a bit again... reachzero has been conservatively with all his moves, why wouldnt he do the same as before? Lets remember reach indeed has a possible Colossoil as one of the secret pokes he hasnt showed, and using Thunderbolt puts me in a horrible place since it basically happens what I tried to evade turn 2. Im completely sure reachzero wont risk his Gyarados since its the key to winning this match, so im using Hydro Pump to hopefully catch that Colossoil on the switch-in!

I am actually very, very relieved that Rey went to Starmie and not to say, Celebi or Rotom-C. Rey is certain that I have Colossoil, so I am 100% certain that whatever he chooses to do, he will not choose Thunderbolt. If Starmie is really his best answer to Gyarados, I will be in excellent shape. I decide to seize the moment and Dragon Dance, confident that Gyarados will survive to the end of the turn.

Starmie used Hydro Pump.
Starmie's attack missed!
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.

- 90% - +1 Attack and Speed
- 90%

God im so fucked up now. I mispredicted that move totally, reach was fooling me each turn that passed, possibly to culminate on this turn. He gets a deadly Dragon Dance, and the lack of Leftovers confirm my nightmare, its a Life Orbed Dancer. This is insanely bad since my team has no real DD Gyarados counter. I also missed Hydro Pump, which could have helped Infernape in case I survive this Gyarados assault, but whats worries me the most now is that Gyarados is about to sweep my ass.
Not all is lost though, I quickly remember reachzero talking to me in a PM, saying that his favorite LO Gyarados has Taunt and Bounce, with DD and the obvious Waterfall, hopefully he sticked to that set since the talk we had, which tells me he will Bounce up this turn, since im possibly going to Thunderbolt after that mispredict. What reachzero doesnt know is that im not gonna sacrifice my beautiful Starmie while letting him Taunt Skarmory and make this game over, but bring Skarmory on his bounce up and then Whirlwind it out. Of course this is all if reachzero has bounce, if he has Stone Edge its over, lol.

Bounce will definitely KO Starmie and do a lot of damage to anything else Rey might bring in, so that seems like the obvious move here. If I was really really gutsy I would Dragon Dance again, but there is no way Rey would risk letting me do that. He HAS to choose Thunderbolt here if he wants to have any hope of stopping Gyarados. I am confident that Bounce is the right move here.

ReyScarface switched in Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory ?).
Gyarados used Bounce.
Gyarados bounced up!

- 90% - +1 Attack and Speed - Bounced Up

-
100%

Yeah! Skarmory gets in unharmed on the bounce, which lets me whirlwind this enormous uh dragonish thing out, ending all attempts of a sweep. Not only that, but now I know reachzero isnt playing totally conservative, which is great to know for my next moves. Im not gonna set-up things now, since it would be stupid to get SR in exchange of losing the game.

Skarmory. I can't believe Rey seriously took the chance that I might go to +2/+2 there and essentially end the game....but that being said, Skarmory coming in essentially ends my Gyara's threat for the time being. He will obviously Whirlwind, but at least he doesn't have Stealth Rock up. Still, I feel that my best chance at winning this game just went for nothing, and I wonder if I'll get another.

Gyarados used Bounce.
Skarmory lost 24% of its health.
Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
Skarmory used Whirlwind.
Skarmory's leftovers restored its health a little!
Skarmory restored 6% of its health.

- 80%

- 100%

- 82%

That Jirachi appears once again... which doesnt really bother me at all to be honest. As of now I dont know what set reach runs, so it might be even scarf which lets me get my layers up, or a calm mind version, in which case I have Latias to stop it, and even Infernape or my own Colossoil. Right now, the only thing I really want is to get SR up, because then his Gyarados wont have such liberty on switching in and will help my Infernape a lot on a possible late game sweep.

Jirachi, okay, I can definitely live with that. Mine is using the Physical Mix set, so I anticipate that I can do rather a lot of damage with Thunderbolt here. I doubt Skarmory will switch out of Jirachi, so I'll use Thunderbolt and depending on the EVs, damage it heavily or KO it.

Jirachi used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!

Skarmory lost 61% of its health.
Skarmory is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Skarmory used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Skarmory's leftovers restored its health a little!
Skarmory restored 6% of its health.

- 100%

- 27% - Paralized

Ha, its indeed a Calm Mind Jirachi! Latias wins this game against Jirachi, but I got paralized, and saving Skarmory now would only ask to be swept by a parahax or something, and id rather get a free switch-in now than use Skarm later as dead fodder. Not only that, but Gyarados now wont have a chance to set-up a dragon dance at all, barring Scizor, who isnt OHKOd by LO Waterfall and finishes it with Bullet Punches. Well, first blood will be done by reachzero, and im clicking whirlwind just in case he tries to set-up calm mind.

Not KOing is unfortunate but not terribly surprising, considering that Jirachi has only 237 SpA total. It's quite possible that he'll switch Skarmory out here, to limit Gyarados in case he needs to take a Bounce again, so I choose Fire Punch, which should still KO Skarmory, yet will do more if he brings in another Pokemon, such as a Grass type.

Jirachi used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!

A critical hit!
Skarmory lost 27% of its health.
ReyScarface's Skarmory fainted.

reachzero - (6)

ReyScarface - (5)

- 100%

- Fainted

Wait what? Damn its actually mixed Jirachi which means Latias wont set-up, this thing possibly even has Ice Punch, and him using Fire Punch makes me unable to bring in Scizor. Colossoil is a possibility, but then Gyarados will sweep my ass and im not happy with that at all! Infernape, while being frail, is my best option now since it can 2HKO Gyarados and OHKO this dumb Jirachi too, while threatening Shaymin, possibly outspeeding his own Infernape, and also hurting a possible Colossoil. I doubt reachzero actually will let his team be that Mixape weak when hes using an Infernape of his own, so that last pokemon must be some sort of Infernape counter. Im not really caring much about it though, because I will get a decent hit on his counter or switchin, which is all I care about at this moment.

Infernape was Rey's obvious choice to come back in, and it's pretty likely that he will U-turn out again, so it's much too risky to go to Latias here. That leaves Gyarados as my only real option to switch in.

reachzero switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's Intimidate cut Infernape's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
Infernape used Fire Blast.
Gyarados lost 38% of its health.

- 18%

- 80%
(ReyScarface)

Alright, hes sacrificing Gyarados. That thing really caused me problems, im glad to see it gone. Not going to risk Fire Blast though, so im going with the more reliable HP Ice, which should KO seeing how much damage Fire Blast did.

Whoa, really? Taking that much damage from a physical MixApe is NOT normal. This must be a special MixApe with U-turn, which is pretty much unheard of. That is bad news, since Gyarados was really my best hope against Rey's team. There's no point in switching out now, so I might as well stay in, die, then go to Latias.

Infernape used Hidden Power.
Gyarados lost 18% of its health.
reachzero's Gyarados fainted.

reachzero - (5)

ReyScarface - (5)

- Fainted

- 70% (ReyScarface)

Hoorah! Thats now one thing less to be afraid of. Im completely sure he will bring now either a Scarf pokemon to revenge me, or a solid Mixape counter like idk Cresselia or Latias.

reachzero switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Pointed stones dug into Latias.
Latias lost 12% of its health.
ReyScarface switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Latias used Draco Meteor.
Latias's attack missed!

- 88% (reachzero)

- 100%

So I was right about him not being totally Mixape weak. Good thing I have my Scizor here, which can take everything a LO Latias throws at him while threatening to OHKO with Pursuit or U-Turn. Poor Latias missed Draco Meteor, and im even more confident about Scizor now. Im going to U-Turn, since if he stays Infernape sweeps, and if he switches out, his probably switchin will be either Jirachi or his Infernape, which are both finished by my LO Starmie and Infernape.

I can definitely live with Scizor coming in here. I am actually pretty lucky that Draco Meteor missed, since I don't know if HP Fire would KO Scizor while at -2, even with the extra damage from taking a Draco. I'll live with it if Colossoil comes in on the rather obvious HP Fire, HP Fire is still obviously my best move in this position, since Latias will survive Bullet Punch rather easily.

Latias used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 100% of its health.
ReyScarface's Scizor fainted.
Latias lost 10% of its health.

reachzero - (5)

ReyScarface - (4)

- 78% (reachzero)

- Fainted

What the... jesus! I really wasnt expecting that dragon to carry HP Fire to deal with Scizor, but damnit it did... Scizor was basically dead fodder now, not even hurting Latias, much less anything on reach's team. Everything seems lost now, since Latias outspeeds everything I got, while Starmie fails to OHKO and my Latias is a speed tie. I bet this is what reachzero thinks, which is a light on a dark tunnel for me, because with this, he may want to hurt my Latias counter and make something on his team sweep, but everyone has tricks, right?

That was simple enough. I'm pretty sure 78% is enough for Starmie to KO me with Ice Beam, so I expect that it'll come in next. I doubt that Rey will want to play the 50/50 game that Colossoil plays with Latias in terms of Sucker Punch/Pursuit and Grass Knot, so I don't think he'll do that unless he feels he has no other choice.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ReyScarface switched in Colossoil (lvl 100 Colossoil ?).

So much for that theory. Colossoil coming in means that we will, in fact, play the 50/50 game. I hate attacking right away, since it usually brings you face-first into a Sucker Punch, yet I can't really switch in case Rey uses Pursuit. I know that a non-switch Pursuit will only do about 58%, so I choose Recover to at least see which move he chooses, to inform my move next turn.

Colossoil used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 78% of its health.
reachzero's Latias fainted.

reachzero - (4)

ReyScarface - (4)

- Fainted
(reachzero)
- 100% (ReyScarface)

CAP 9 to the rescue haha! Colossoil makes his first appearance in this battle and does an excellent job. It probably made reach think im a bulky set or a Sucker Punchless one, which ends up on him trying to OHKO me with Grass Knot. For his and many spectators surprise, my Colossoil was scarfed! Good revenge killer and all around pokemon, and it has U-turn too! so you can call it a stronger Flygon for that matter :p

Scarf Colossoil. Pretty much a waste of a Colossoil in general, though obviously that puts an end to my Latias completely, which is very painful at this point of the game. I'm in a lot of trouble here, but all I can do is bring Infernape in and threaten Colossoil back out. It's virtually a guarantee that he will go to Latias or Starmie, so U-turn is a pretty clear choice for what move to pick.

reachzero switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.

Infernape comes in, and he will probably CC me or get SR up. In both cases, Latias is my best switch-in to then proceed and hit hard with a strong Dragon Pulse, or even set-up Calm Minds. I remember reach uses U-turn ape, but even then, Latias can take one and proceed to take out all of his remaining pokes.

ReyScarface switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Infernape used U-turn.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Latias lost 76% of its health.
ReyScarface's Latias fainted.
reachzero switched in Colossoil (lvl 100 Colossoil ?).
Pointed stones dug into Colossoil.
Colossoil lost 6% of its health.

reachzero - (4)

ReyScarface - (3)

- 78% (reachzero)
- 94% (reachzero)
- Fainted (ReyScarface)

Well that was somewhat bad. Reach KOd my only Infernape counter which means this will end even closer! Wait... that thing had a Life Orb? Damn now I see why he switched out, Hydro Pump would have OHKOd it! Well, now back to my Scarf Colossoil. Good to see my hunch being correct, since I now can tell my efforts in the beginning werent wasted! Colossoil though, now makes me think more, what set is it running? what moves? what speed?! Gah.

Bringing Colossoil back in is an interesting move, it obviously seems to telegraph "Earthquake". It's hard to believe he would actually Earthquake in such an obvious position, but I'm too far behind right now to take a risk in that regard. It's pretty clear at this point that Shaymin won't be doing much against Rey's team regardless, so it's safe to bring in as something of a sacrifice.

ReyScarface switched in Colossoil (lvl 100 Colossoil ?).
reachzero switched in Shaymin (lvl 100 Shaymin).
Pointed stones dug into Shaymin.
Shaymin lost 12% of its health.

Shaymin comes back once again. This puts me in a tight spot, since at 45%, Shaymin isnt KOd by my Crunch, while my U-Turn only KOs 45% of the time. I cant let that Shaymin OHKO my Starmie or severely weaken my Infernape. What should I do here! Alright lemme recap:
He has a 100% Jirachi, which is Superachi, and his damn Colossoil which I dont know the set. He also has this Shaymin which is Life Orbed. Now, if I Crunch the Shaymin, it will KO me, possibly surviving the next LO damage, and then be used as fodder, which is p. bad for Starmie. If I U-Turn, I can OHKO it, but if I dont, he will hit one of my remaining sweepers causing me to lose the match. My decision is clear.

Colossoil used Selfdestruct.
Shaymin lost 45% of its health.
reachzero's Shaymin fainted.
ReyScarface's Colossoil fainted.

reachzero - (3)

ReyScarface - (2)

- Fainted
- Fainted

I feed my Colossoil with TNT yeah! I blow up, not willing to let that thing hit me or survive, which means he has the upper hand now, since hes up 3-2. Bringing Starmie would be a horrible move, since I get threatened by Sucker Punch, Scarf Dark move or Pursuit from his Colossoil, which is the thing I especulate he will bring in. Now Infernape is a bit more secure since he does have Colossoil, and the only poke I fear from him if I bring Infernape is his own Infernape, and then again it would be a speed issue, but im sure reachzero knows most players bring in their lead in a double switch usually late game, and after seeing how hes playing, I wouldnt doubt hes going to bring something to beat Starmie, so Infernape it is!

Hallelujah! That is the best outcome I could possibly have hoped for. Like I said, Shaymin was overmatched by Rey's team, so trading its life for Scarf 'Soil's is a trade I'll take for sure. On the other hand, making the blind double switch here is really tough. If he brings in Starmie, I am guaranteed to lose a Pokemon unless the one I bring in here is Colossoil. However, if he brings in Infernape, Colossoil will likely die. Starmie is the greater threat, so I decide to go with Colossoil.

reachzero switched in Colossoil (lvl 100 Colossoil ?).
Pointed stones dug into Colossoil.
Colossoil lost 6% of its health.

I can't really switch without something dying here, and at least Colossoil can get some damage in on Infernape before going down with Sucker Punch. I pretty much need Infernape to die, and I am fairly sure that Jirachi will be able to kill Starmie one-on-one if it comes to that. I am less than enthusiastic about my chances at this point, for I have very few options left to me.

Colossoil used Sucker Punch.
Infernape lost 40% of its health.
Colossoil lost 10% of its health.
Infernape used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Colossoil lost 78% of its health.
reachzero's Colossoil fainted.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.

reachzero - (2)

ReyScarface - (2)

- Fainted (reachzero)
- 20% (ReyScarface)

That couldnt have worked any better. He indeed had a Colossoil, he indeed had Sucker Punch, and he indeed tried to beat Starmie in this blind switch! Colossoil hits me hard with a Life Orbed Sucker Punch, while I survive the assault and OHKO it with Close Combat. Now, the battle is near the end, but not quite over yet. I dont run max speed with Infernape, and if reachzero does, this could be over. Not only that, but he can also predict I wont let Infernape die, and use U-Turn, OHKOing my Starmie. This is a risky move, but a necessary one, and I need Infernape to OHKO that Jirachi. Lets see what happens.

reachzero switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.

Okay, decision time. I pretty much need my Infernape to beat Rey's Infernape. If he stays in and attacks, this could possibly be a speed tie. I know he is using odd EVs (special mix with U-turn?), so I have no idea how much speed he is using. My Infernape is using the typical Physical Mix EVs, so I hit 330 speed. I have no idea whether U-turn will KO a -1 Infernape at 20%, but I really doubt it, considering that Infernape 4x resists Bug. All the same, I seriously consider using U-turn anyway, since if Starmie comes in on Close Combat it's gg for sure. After long deliberation, I decide to take the sure thing on KOing Infernape and choose Close Combat!

Infernape lost 12% of its health.
ReyScarface switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Starmie lost 55% of its health.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.

- 56% (reachzero)

- 35%

Good lord that worked! My Starmie endures the hit like a champ, and now can threaten Infernape for an OHKO and Jirachi for a 2HKO, which basically means if he switches out he will need me to miss, same if he stays in. Hydro Pump is the move to use.

Unless Hydro Pump misses (which is always possible!), this game is over. I choose U-turn, but my fate is no longer in my hands.

Starmie used Hydro Pump.
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 56% of its health.
reachzero's Infernape fainted.

reachzero - (1)

ReyScarface - (2)

- Fainted (reachzero)

- 25%

He sacs Infernape, to let Jirachi enter the match unharmed. I now just need Hydro Pump or Fire Blast to hit to win this game!

Barring a Hydro Pump miss and a Fire Blast miss, I know the game is over.

Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
Starmie used Hydro Pump.
Jirachi lost 66% of its health.
Jirachi used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 15% of its health.
ReyScarface's Starmie fainted.

reachzero - (1)

ReyScarface - (1)

-
28%
- Fainted

With Hydro Pump hitting, I dont have to risk Fire Blast and can use Close Combat for the kill.

Infernape's attack missed!

JIRACHI HAD BRIGHTPOWDER?!

Too bad I told you all earlier I had Expert Belt. :P You better have been paying attention!

Fuk, you ruined my joke reach...

A critical hit!
Jirachi lost 28% of its health.
reachzero's Jirachi fainted.
ReyScarface wins!

reachzero - (0)

ReyScarface - (1)

Battle ends, we both say good game after this exciting and extremely close game that is yet another warstory that shows how important SR is in the metagame. Its also a good representation of Colossoil, and how it shows that its not quite the "broken" pokemon people say it is!

Metagame and Colossoil Analysis:

First thing you need to know about this metagame is that it is really fast paced. Colossoil really made offensive teams shine, because it easily beats Rotom opening sweeps for other ones like Metagross or Scizor, it also has Taunt to shut down Spikers, or Rapid Spin to easily stop them. Its offensive movepool is not shabby either, since it gets perfect coverage with its 2 STAB attacks and a Fire filler move.
The #1 threat of this metagame is easily Gyarados, more Life Orbed than anything. Colossoil does a marvelous job at taking down Scarfed and Defensive Rotoms and Latias, which clears up a path for a DD Gyarados sweep.
Other thing to consider is that Stall isnt as useful thanks to Colossoil's nature of opening sweeps for other pokemons like the aforementioned Gyarados, and not only that, but Colossoil is nearly the perfect switch-in to Blissey, since it can Taunt her, Encore her, threaten with Pursuit or Superpower, it can also Bounce a Toxic back to her making Pursuit + Taunt even deadlier, and if you are using Guts then every boost in attack is appreciated. A considerably big change for Stall is the use of speed on its pokes. Things like Tentacruel and Celebi are now seen running max or near max speed, solely to outspeed Colossoil and hit hard with their super effective STABs, since they are both OHKOd by Colossoil STABs as well. Skarmory can wall Colossoil, but can do little if anything back.
Another good pokemon would be Infernape. With a decrease of Latias using something as deadly as Infernape is always useful, and not only that, but using a U-Turn one makes it even more useful in order to scout those threats, and bring your Colossoil in.
A forgotten threat in OU, Shaymin, makes a nice comeback since it threatens Colossoil instantly, and resists EQ, while not taking a lot from Sucker Punch. Its also a good pokemon that can defeat Scizors and Skarmories, and can rest to max HP thanks to Natural Cure, definitely something to watch out for.
The most common leads in this metagame by far are Starmie and Infernape, while Colossoil, Tyranitar and Heatran follow behind. Starmie and Infernape are potent leads because they instantly cause trouble to your opponent and get you momentum up. In the case of Infernape you can also use a new lead set, like the one reachzero used in this warstory. Lead Colossoil has priority so you must watch out of that, and it can also have a lot of filler moves, not limited to Taunt, Encore, Rapid Spin, and even Substitute. Tyranitar is a good lead since it beats Starmie lead with ease, and is not completely dead vs Colossoil, while Heatran is solid in the meanings that is one of the few SR reliable leads in this metagame.
Watch out though, even with Colossoil here, Latias can be seen, so dont take her out of the play. Latias, specially Calm Mind offensive versions, with Life Orb, are very useful since they can OHKO Colossoil on the switch-in, while they can also threaten a lot of other pokes thanks to her dragon type, and as you could see in the warstory, most use HP Fire for Scizors and Skarmories. In the same boat, Rotom, while it could be said it got weakened, it can also be a lethal weapon with an offensive Substitute set. Substitute with Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and Leaf Storm, boosted by Life Orb, means Colossoil will be OHKOd, Celebi will be OHKOd, Vaporeon has a big chance of being OHKOd after SR, and it also serves as a pretty good lure.

Credits:

Warstory - reachzero and ReyScarface
Sprites - gtsplus.net and special thanks to Elevator Music for getting them for us :)
Squared Pics - PE2K.com
Thanks RB Golbat for making a CAP themed LNT.
Thanks everyone in CAP for contributing to the making of Colossoil.
DougJustDoug for the title of the warstory.

Closing Words:
Thanks for reading this warstory, we hope you enjoyed it and learned a bit more of the metagame and Colossoil itself. Dont forget to visit us at the CAP server for Colossoil playtest!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Props to both of you (matchup maker really did pit you two up first round, i swear!), easily the best battle in that LNT and displayed Colossoil's impact nearly perfectly. This was way more informative than any of the posts in the playtest thread to be honest, so great job for making a warstory that accurately depicts the colossoil metagame.

Good job reach and rey! I was worried rey's mexico-ness would get in the way of this great warstrory, but it didn't. And plus is right, this is better than all of the playtest thread posts. Oh and props to rey for his amazing piece:

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
That was a great match entertaining till the end. I'm also enough of a sucker to have believed rey when he said jirachi had bright powder.

Infernape's attack missed!

JIRACHI HAD BRIGHTPOWDER?!

Too bad I told you all earlier I had Expert Belt. :P You better have been paying attention!

Fuk, you ruined my joke reach...
Oh wow, that was one of the greatest things I ever read... besides that one warstory with a fake ending (even then, that one was worse)

Great read.

Great Warstory, I really enjoyed it. Both teams illustrated the power of collosoil well and showed how offensive the playtest is at the moment.

this was a great battle to watch. the ending really caught everyone off-guard. the comments and discussion here were great (i liked the way you both assumed your opponent had colossoil, it really is on every team isn't it)

scarf colossoil is pretty underrated. it makes a really good revenger killer in many ways and guts is a godsend.

well played, both of you.

that brightpowder part was indeed awesome. but i seriously don't recall you saying you had expert belt >_>

There were some unclear things here and there, but the battle was great and the format was great as well. I wanted to maybe make a Colossoil warstory too, but I have no luck with finding a battle for now. I'm glad to see one already!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fantastic warstory! Even for people not interested in CAP pokemon, this is a great read for general battle strategy and prediction. Both of you have well-constructed teams, and the mix of commentary on how each of you were looking ahead in the battle, it really highlighted how your pokemon support each other.

I agree with Plus -- this warstory tells more about the state of Colossoil playtesting than most of the posts in the playtesting thread. I hope that everyone interested in Colossoil reads this in detail.

Great job to both of you!

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice warstory Reach and Rey. Pretty entertaining battle, and I like how reachzero ruined your joke at the end. :p

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It was a great read! I still don't get how a 1500lbs giant diglett does 宙返り (とんぼがえり、Midair-Somersault, U-Turn), but I suppose there are weirder things in Pokemon. Nice battle!

This was a fantastic battle. Not only does it show how the CaP metagame works and Colossoil's place in it, it is a fascinating study in prediction and overall strategy. Plus, it was really exciting to read, which is always great. Excellent warstory you two.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
All I can say is "Wow!" The whole battle was engaging and the commentary was what I would expect from players of your skill levels. Even for someone who isn't a CAP player, this was an excellent read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)