Hosting Requirements

Is that one of the finished games? I've only looked at a few finished ones Luigie, FF and one other one

Popping in here to say that me and danmantincan are currently in the process of making an Advance Wars Mafia, and although I'm the main host dan's been a big help, we're splitting up writing the role pms, etc.

So yeah, cohosts can play a pretty big role in game design.

tbh, you can't really argue either way for the cohost, since some do a lot, but some do very little, while some games are just fine with one host.

My two games I did an almost equal amount of work in RotS in role pms and design with Yeti, and ended up doing almost everything for TTV (with some notable exceptions), so I can't really say a cohost definitely helps.

It could also be argued in cases like MUDS where if there had never been a cohost, the mistakes may not have been made, although it's too early to say if it has made the game significantly worse. However, it would be best to emphasize that all hosts are human, and we all do make mistakes, so it's not necessarily true that the mistakes may not have been made if there was no cohost.

Either way, to try and get this back on track, could someone point out a game where there was a legitimate mistake made by someone who had not really ever played mafia before on this site that led to disaster, besides some of the earliest games?
Before anyone mentions Luigi, there weren't that many options other than US ot sub in, and he would've likely pulled the scheme no matter what he was. It could also be blamed on the villagers for trusting him so much when he had such a horrible role for leading, even with the Dickens attached.

From what I've read, co-hosts seemed to be what was beign implyed, and I know from games that I played, and co-hosted, hosts have both writen role pms, thats what I'm basing it on, I understand that smogon is not the same, so what I am saying might not be as true here as as well.
And I'm telling you it's not true.

It's simple: I'm not trying to make you look bad or anything, just correcting you so you know.

Best reason to have a cohost: Gives you someone to discuss the game with who will 100% not sub in or give away classified info. I would have gone insane if I didn't have Eep to chat with during Handicapable (and I actually did go insane during the 4 days he was on vacation XD).

Well when I was co-hosting, the main host was in the USA for the first week and a bit, so I was a help to him since I could deal with problems then and there.

I'm not trying to say co-hosts are bad, but from the little experience I have of no clue mafias I was saying that there might be a problem with co-hosts (Which thanks to all of you I now understand that there isn't) and that not all hosts (new or old) would want to be a co-host, or have a co-host.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If anything, I think that a person should have to have played at least one game on smogon before hosting, if only because smogon mafia is a completely different experience from anywhere else. Having started playing mafia on EpicMafia and then trying it out here, I was initially shocked at how different the two game styles are, and I think a person shouldn't host until he feels comfortable with the style of game here.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And we already have mods that deny games from new users who would host games that aren't worth having on the site. This isn't a problem worth adding a new rule for.

What I don't get is the fact that mafia games are controlled by mods, is there a reason for this, since on ONM mafia games are run by Twi (soon to be taken over by two other people though). Also for the smogon style of game play, well not all games fit that style, like I'm planning on doing a clue mafia on here, that hasn't been the smogon style for over two years now.

Mods are here to make sure that games aren't run by incompetent people and that the game design isn't horribly broken (or just horrible).

What I don't get is the fact that mafia games are controlled by mods, is there a reason for this, since on ONM mafia games are run by Twi (soon to be taken over by two other people though).
Well, if Circus Maximus was on ONM, Twi would probably be a mod. Circus Maximus is basically Mekkah's baby, and LightWolf and billymills are two of the most respected forum regulars with a good knowledge of game balance, so they were picked to approve games / suggest fixes to prospective games as a form of quality control. As such, LW and billy have mods so that they can run Circus Maximus, close unapproved games, edit/delete posts and thread titles (although everybody can edit their own thread titles now), etc. Mekkah was already an admin, so yeah. Basically, they (except for Mekkah) are the mods because they run Smogon mafia. You're thinking of it the other way around, where they run Smogon mafia because they're mods. :o

Also for the smogon style of game play, well not all games fit that style, like I'm planning on doing a clue mafia on here, that hasn't been the smogon style for over two years now.
Not too sure what that has to do with anything. :s

Ok then, thanks for the explaining the whole mod thing for me, and basicly someone said that people should play a couple of games on here to get use to the style, so all I said in return to that comment is that not all hosts will host there game in the style that is most commonly used in mafia games here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)