Houndoom [Singles]

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Houndoom is one of the more lesser used Mega Evolutions in the Battle Spot metagame because there are much more reliable ones, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence. As a fast special attacker, it's also outclassed by Mega Charizard Y, although its base 115 Speed and access to Nasty Plot give it a niche. Mega Houndoom is able to act as an excellent wallbreaker on offensive teams due to its powerful Special Attack, tearing down walls such as Mega Sableye, Cresselia, Ferrothorn, Zapdos, and Gliscor. It also has a nice Dark / Fire typing, which lets it take on various threats in the metagame such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, and Aegislash. Even though it has a nice set of resistances, its typing leaves it weak to Rock-, Water-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves. Thanks to Solar Power, Mega Houndoom functions very well under sun, whether it comes from a teammate or from the opponent's Mega Charizard Y; however, the ability also makes it lose 1/8 of its HP every turn. Mega Houndoom has a nice movepool with options such as such as Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Pursuit, and Sucker Punch, providing support, utility, and a way to pick off foes that switch and foes that attack, respectively. However, Mega Houndoom's mediocre bulk makes it easy for foes to KO it, especially for faster Pokemon and priority attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lopunny, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Blaziken, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr.

[SET]
name: Mega Doom
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Destiny Bond / Hidden Power Grass / Taunt
item: Houndoominite
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot boosts Mega Houndoom's Special Attack by two stages, allowing it to hit harder. Dark Pulse hits Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia, Aegislash, and Gengar. Fire Blast is the preferred Fire-type STAB move, as it hits very hard after a Nasty Plot or under sun, but it has a chance to miss. Flamethrower is an alternative Fire-type STAB move with perfect accuracy but much less power. Destiny Bond allows Mega Houndoom to take down the opposing Pokemon upon being KOed, getting rid of a threat to its teammates or any other foe that it's not able to take down, such as Suicune. Hidden Power Grass gives Mega Houndoom coverage against Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as Rhyperior, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, and Swampert. Taunt can be used instead of Hidden Power Grass or Destiny Bond to make Mega Houndoom an efficient stallbreaker, allowing it to prevent Pokemon from setting up or inflicting status ailments, such as Chansey, Clefable, and Porygon2.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment allows Mega Houndoom to have more sweeping potential, hitting hard and fast. It also allows it to outspeed base 110 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, Latios, Latias, and Gengar. A Timid nature is preferred over a Modest nature, as Modest would put Mega Houndoom in a Speed tie with base 100 Speed Pokemon. The remaining 4 Special Defense EVs are used to prevent Porygon2 from getting a Special Attack boost from Download. If Hidden Power Grass is being used instead of Destiny Bond, an IV spread of 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 31 and an EV spread of 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe should be used. Flash Fire gives Houndoom immunity to Fire-type moves and allows it to switch into a predicted Fire-type attack, increasing the power of its own Fire-type attacks before Mega Evolving. Houndoominite is used to Mega Evolve Houndoom, boosting its Special Attack, Speed, and bulk and granting it the ability Solar Power, allowing its attacks to hit harder under sun.

Usage Tips
========

It should be noted that Houndoom should also switch in after its teammate has fainted so that it doesn't take any damage. Mega Houndoom should set up Nasty Plot on defensive Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, and Cresselia. Don't don't try to set up Nasty Plot if Mega Houndoom's checks or counters are not KOed yet.

Team Options
========

Gengar provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom, as it is immune to Fighting-type attacks, while Mega Houndoom is immune to Psychic-type attacks. Gengar can handle Mega Kangaskhan and Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir, Azumarill, and Sylveon. It can also stallbreak Chansey if it runs Taunt, and Mega Houndoom can take on Pokemon faster than Gengar such as Weavile and non-Focus Blast Alakazam in return. Rotom-W can be an excellent pivot with Volt Switch, bringing in Mega Houndoom safely. Rotom-W can also handle Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as Tyranitar, Garchomp, and Azumarill, respectively, while Mega Houndoom can handle Grass-types such as Serperior. Rotom-W can also wall Talonflame, which can potentially prey on Mega Houndoom's frailty. It can also burn Fighting-types with Will-O-Wisp, but it must be careful of those with Guts such as Conkeldurr and Heracross. Gyarados also provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom because it resists Fighting- and Water-type moves. It's also immune to Ground-type attacks and can use them to set up. Also note that Gyarados has Intimidate, which can help soften physical attacks aimed at Mega Houndoom. Klefki and Thundurus pair well with Mega Houndoom, as they both provide Thunder Wave support, allowing Mega Houndoom to gain the Speed advantage over the opposing team. Thundurus helps deal with Water-types as well. Houndoom can also make use of Ferrothorn and Scizor to lure in Fire-type attacks to get a Flash Fire boost, getting a free switch in.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Focus Sash can be used on a set running Destiny Bond, Counter, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. Focus Sash and Counter work well together because of Houndoom's terrible defenses. It can then use Destiny Bond on another Pokemon the opponent has sent out. Flamethrower and Dark Pulse are both filler moves in the set. It also doesn't need to run any defensive EVs due to Houndoom's frailty. Sunny Day activates Mega Houndoom's Solar Power, allowing it to hit harder, but it'll have to waste a turn to use it. The foe can attack it while it tries to set up Sunny Day, and Solar Power also makes Mega Houndoom lose a little health each turn sun is up, making it a risky strategy. Nasty Plot has essentially the same effect without the drawbacks. Solar Beam can be used together with Sunny Day instead of Hidden Power Grass so that it doesn't need a turn to charge. However, this means that Mega Houndoom's primary coverage move for Water-types is dependent on the sun being up, so there's no point in using it. Overheat can be used over Flamethrower or Fire Blast for even more power. It will deal a lot more damage after Houndoom has switched into a Fire-type move or when the attack is used under sun. However, Overheat lowers Mega Houndoom's Special Attack by two stages after each use. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers, which helps Mega Houndoom take physical hits better. Sucker Punch gives it priority to pick off weakened foes. Pursuit can be used to trap and deal extra damage to Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia and Gengar. Hidden Power Ice allows Mega Houndoom to hit Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-types such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Landorus-T for super effective damage. Protect allows Houndoom to Mega Evolve safely against against Pokemon that are faster than its base forme and slower than its Mega forme. However, Mega Houndoom has no room for that move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune, Rotom-W, and Mega Gyarados, can all take Fire Blast from Mega Houndoom and can retaliate with their Water-type STAB moves.

**Special Walls**: Porygon2 and Chansey can wall Mega Houndoom's attacks. Porygon2 can Trace Houndoom's Flash Fire before it has Mega Evolved, making its Fire attacks useless. Chansey can take any special attack that Mega Houndoom can dish out and then cripple it with Toxic or Thunder Wave. Clefable has Unaware, which ignores Mega Houndoom's stat boosts from Nasty Plot, and can set up with Cosmic Power or Calm Mind, as well as stall it with Moonlight. Beware that Mega Houndoom can use Chansey as setup fodder for Nasty Plot after using Taunt.

**Mega Blaziken**: Mega Blaziken resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB moves due to its Fire / Fighting typing. It can use Protect to get a boost from Speed Boost, outspeeding Mega Houndoom and and OHKOing with High Jump Kick.

**Conkeldurr**: Conkeldurr resists Mega Houndoom's Dark Pulse and can survive a Fire-type attack, as it usually carries Assault Vest. It can then retaliate with Drain Punch or revenge kill it with Mach Punch.

**Azumarill**: Azumarill resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB attacks and use it as setup fodder to get a Belly Drum off. It can then OHKO it with Aqua Jet.

**Greninja**: Greninja outspeeds Mega Houndoom and OHKOes it with its Water-type STAB moves.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite has Multiscale, which makes it take only half the damage from any attack Mega Houndoom hits it with while it's at full health. It can set up with Dragon Dance and outspeed Mega Houndoom or OHKO it with a Choice Band-boosted Earthquake.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Tyranitar, resist Mega Houndoom's Fire-type moves and put offensive pressure on it. Both regular and Mega Aerodactyl outspeed Mega Houndoom and can OHKO it with Stone Edge. Tyranitar also resists Mega Houndoom's Dark-type moves and can KO it with its Rock-type STAB moves.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of what EVs and IVs that Mega Houndoom should have for Hidden Power Grass.

I'm not sure if I can, but I'm going to explain it later on in the analyses.

In the meantime, I'll start on it once I get back from soccer practice.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's there to explain? Let's assume the IV spread is 31/even/31/30/31/31, the EV spread should simply be 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

Too bad you can only use Ninetales to autoset sun for this guy. Manual sun from either Houndoom itself or a teammate should really be looked into since NP + SP = a lot of power. It would be a shame to see its ability go to waste. Also Solar Beam.. I guess you can just try to take advantage of enemy M-ZardY's but...

Yes I was planning on talking about the IV and EV spread if they want to use Hidden Power Grass in the Set Details. Also, yes I agree that Mega Houndoom relies on other Pokemon to support it, which is why I'm personally going to stick Solarbeam as part of the other options. Mega Charizard Y has really taken the bait as always for Mega Houndoom due to its ability. Sunny Day for Mega Houndoom isn't as reliable in Battle Spot Singles because of the many hard hitting Pokemon I had to deal with. I bred two Houndooms to test two different sets. One with what you see above and the other with Sunny Day set on it. I find Sunny Day to be inferior to its set above because you have to waste a turn setting up sun. It is kind of impossible for me to set up with both Nasty Plot and Sunny Day when I'm using only Mega Houndoom because it isn't really bulky with 75/90/90. Also, going back to Solarbeam, I find it to be only useful if you have sun support on your team. I can also just run Hidden Power Grass instead. One of the issues I ran into is I have to waste a slot on Ninetails just to help Mega Houndoom with Sunny Day. To be honest, I much more prefer Dual Screen support from Klefki instead and set up Nasty Plot from there. The Ground-types from Choice Scarf Lando-T for example was annoying enough so I decided not to use Ninetails anymore.

Also, I find Destiny Bond to be very helpful in getting rid of bulky Pokemon because it seems like the majority of Japanese players I battled against assumed I had Hidden Power Grass, so they try to freely set up on me, like I took out bulky DD Gyarados and finished off their Lando-T with Pory2's Ice Beam.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The difference between Nasty Plot and Sunny Day is that NP allows Dark Pulse to hit harder, and SD allows Flamethrower to hit harder, allow Solar Beam to be used (hits much harder than HP Grass) and allows you to tank weaker Water moves, at the cost of HP every turn. So a Mega Houndoom set that carries Sunny Day over Nasty Plot and Solar Beam over Hidden Power grass should be totally viable imo...
  • +2 248 SpA (30 IV) Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D: 150-176 (95.5 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
  • +2 248 SpA (30 IV) Mega Houndoom Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D: 84-99 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 248 SpA (30 IV) Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D: 38-45 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO

• 252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D in Sun: 114-134 (72.6 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D in Sun: 94-112 (59.8 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D in Sun: 56-67 (35.6 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I could try to find calcs against something relevant but I'm not home so I just used Deo... Sunny Day is also cool since it can help a teammate if you have something that benefits from it switch in (whereas Nasty Plot goes away when you switch). It also helps massively against Tyranitar (Solar Beam OHKOs DD Ttar in sun)

Lets sort this one out.

That's one of the main benefits that I saw against Water-types when a player expected to OHKO my Mega Houndoom with STAB Hydro Pump from Greninja and I ended up retaliating with Hidden Power Grass. I never said that Mega Houndoom Sunny Day isn't viable, I just find it to be more inferior than the set above lol.

Looking at the usage stats, no one even uses Sunny Day Mega Houndoom and the reason behind it is that people probably don't want the risk of a Pokemon with that can change weather ruining their sun such as T-Tar or its Mega for example. But my question is, when is it good for me to have Sunny Day up on the field, while T-Tar has Sand Stream right now? I certainly won't be hitting T-Tar with Solarbeam when it comes out on the field. I don't see Solarbeam as something that's truly reliable "over" Hidden Power Grass. Nasty Plot and Hidden Power Grass are more favorable. >.<

It's just better to have Sun support and run Nasty Plot than to run Sunny Day on Mega Houndoom, Nasty Plot is also safer because you don't take damage while using it. The drawback is that you're putting up Sunny Day while you have an opponent that has a high chance of attacking you. Set up Sunny Day, opponent attacks you, and you lose HP from Solar Power. Also that ability is so crucial because that can really cause you the game if you're hit by an attack and Mega Houndoom barely survives with little HP after putting the sun up. Then pretty much you just wasted a turn not only using Sunny Day, but also you killed yourself in the process if you're left with little HP after an attack because Mega Houndoom isn't bulky. XD

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
The drawback is that you're putting up Sunny Day while you have an opponent that has a high chance of attacking you. Set up Sunny Day, opponent attacks you, and you lose HP from Solar Power. Also that ability is so crucial because that can really cause you the game if you're hit by an attack and Mega Houndoom barely survives with little HP after putting the sun up. Then pretty much you just wasted a turn not only using Sunny Day, but also you killed yourself in the process if you're left with little HP after an attack because Mega Houndoom isn't bulky. XD
What? This argument doesn't make sense to me since it's the same thing for Nasty Plot. You can't just set either up willy nilly. You bring in Houndoom against something that sucks against it and set up [move of choice] if appropriate. Sometimes you may not have the turn to set up [move of choice] and it may be better to just outright attack.

I know the PGL stats are great and all, but for stuff like Houndoom that are pretty well underused in the format, the stats may not be the greatest representation of what to use, since there is only a small group of people using the Pokemon and for all we know they may not even know how to use it properly. There are no stats for Houndoom yet in season 10, and Hidden Power doesn't even pop up in season 8. The gimmicky Sash + Counter set also appears in the usage stats, will you add that set due to it being used?

As for your argument about Sunny Day being less viable then Nasty Plot, I totally agree! It isn't as viable, but it is an option, and I think it should be analysed. Referring back to my points about Nasty Plot vs Sunny Day; NP pretty much just boosts Dark Pulse's power but is more reliable, whereas SD boosts your Fire-STAB further and allows for a more powerful Grass-type coverage move, but is a little riskier. I just think it may be worth testing / discussing is all..

Not that it matters much here, but UU has a SunnyDoom set. Probably because you can't use Drought there but whatever. Tbh, I feel like we'll have lots of discussions like these when we do analyses for niche / underused Pokemon here. Houndoom definitely isn't a top tier threat in Battle Spot so it's not like we have a lot of experience to base these things off, so discussions like this are all we have

What? This argument doesn't make sense to me since it's the same thing for Nasty Plot. You can't just set either up willy nilly. You bring in Houndoom against something that sucks against it and set up [move of choice] if appropriate. Sometimes you may not have the turn to set up [move of choice] and it may be better to just outright attack.

I know the PGL stats are great and all, but for stuff like Houndoom that are pretty well underused in the format, the stats may not be the greatest representation of what to use, since there is only a small group of people using the Pokemon and for all we know they may not even know how to use it properly. There are no stats for Houndoom yet in season 10, and Hidden Power doesn't even pop up in season 8. The gimmicky Sash + Counter set also appears in the usage stats, will you add that set due to it being used?

As for your argument about Sunny Day being less viable then Nasty Plot, I totally agree! It isn't as viable, but it is an option, and I think it should be analysed. Referring back to my points about Nasty Plot vs Sunny Day; NP pretty much just boosts Dark Pulse's power but is more reliable, whereas SD boosts your Fire-STAB further and allows for a more powerful Grass-type coverage move, but is a little riskier. I just think it may be worth testing / discussing is all..

Not that it matters much here, but UU has a SunnyDoom set. Probably because you can't use Drought there but whatever. Tbh, I feel like we'll have lots of discussions like these when we do analyses for niche / underused Pokemon here. Houndoom definitely isn't a top tier threat in Battle Spot so it's not like we have a lot of experience to base these things off, so discussions like this are all we have
I agree, but Nasty Plot is a much safer option than Sunny Day without Solar Power taking your HP every turn, which Nasty Plot doesn't is where I'm getting at. If I were to have Sunny Day, then Drought Ninetails would be preferred atm. I don't necessarily like using the PGL stats, but I was curious of what everyone else used on Mega Houndoom after I was 2 weeks in testing it. I will add the Counter set as well.

I was planning on putting Sunny Day and Solarbeam as part of the Other Options lol. Also I like discussions such as these because it gets me engaged in Battle Spot more. I even had a debate with someone in the Battle Spot room of how underrated Mega Beedrill is lol. But aside from that, I'm not going to throw away the Sunny Day set I had for one of my Houndooms. It is something I'll still be looking at in the future for further testing. If it works out more than I expect it would, I will add the set on Mega Houndoom, or if I finish it already I'll make another thread on its set.

Misaka Mikoto when will this be finished? You seem to be almost done, just some things need to be filled in.
This'll be finished around Tuesday or before then. I'm going to add the Focus Sash + Counter set that cant say requested. I been fiddling around with it some more but there's nothing much to say about it because it is straightforward. Counter, Destiny Bond, Fire Blast / Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. I'll get started on completing this tonight.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I didn't request a Sash + Counter set, I asked if you would add it due to it showing in the usage statistics on the PGL (~16%). I don't rate the set super highly but it can be used, but I know some of the QC guys *cough* ethan06 *cough* hate it

• A Focus Sash set can be used with Destiny Bond, Fire Blast / Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. An EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe is used to help Houndoom take a couple of physical attacks and retaliate with Counter. Destiny Bond is used to take another Pokemon down with Houndoom.
I'm no Focus Sash Houndoom expert but I feel like HP investment on a sash set is kind of unnecessary. I don't think the point of the Counter set is to invest in taking hits, but more so to fall back on sash then retaliate with counter.

Last edited:
I'm no Focus Sash Houndoom expert but I feel like HP investment on a sash set is kind of unnecessary. I don't think the point of the Counter set is to invest in taking hits, but more so to fall back on sash then retaliate with counter.
Idk the EVs came from Ethan a while back. It should just run max special attack and speed imo.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The HP EVs are more used to maximise the damage that Counter reflects back, not to take hits. Houndoom is frail as hell either way so a Sash survival is pretty likely against most hits, so the more HP that is lost, the more gets inflicted on the enemy. That's the theory anyway, Special Attack investment could be more useful but attacking isn't the primary function of the set. More input on this from other QC members + Misaka Mikoto would be good :]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
comments in bold because that's the easiest way

[OVERVIEW]
  • One of the more underrated Mega Evolutions. why is it underrated?
  • Able to act as an excellent wallbreaker on offensive teams. why?
  • Has a nice offensive typing in other to take on various threats in the metagame while also having more weaknesses. are you just trying to say that Dark-type is easily spammable due to its great neutral coverage? why is it not a good defensive type? what common attacking types (and common users) is it weak to? I would mention that its Fire typing is great for neutralising its weakness to Fairy, a common problem for other Dark Pulse spammers like Hydreigon.
  • Function very well under the sun after Mega Evolving. yeah but how do you get that sun tho?
  • Has a wide utility and offensive movepool. which includes what?
  • Has mediocre bulk, making it easier for foes to KO it. especially fast ones / priority spammers, ie: Mega Salamence, Greninja, Blaziken, Talonflame, Azumarill, Conkeldurr, Mega Lopunny... that's quite a long list so chose what you think is most relevant to keep it concise.
  • Excellent Special Attack and Speed stats. when mega evolved. regular doom isn't so strong or fast
  • Access to Nasty Plot making it a great sweeper.
you just need to be a little more specific when listing pros / cons, especially since mega houndoom is super niche / underused. it must have notable advantages to using it (otherwise you'd just use something else) and there are obviously huge flaws that stop it from being a top tier threat. mediocre bulk isn't the only thing. be specific!

[SET]
name: Mega Attacker
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Overheat
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Destiny Bond / Hidden Power Grass
ability: Flash Flare

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Nasty Plot boosts Mega Houndoom's Special Attack by two stages allowing it to hit harder.
  • Fire Blast is a very powerful STAB move, which hits very hard after a Nasty Plot or when the sun is out. But it has a chance to miss.
  • Flamethrower is an alternative move to use over Fire Blast with perfect accuracy but with much less power.
  • Overheat can be used over Flamethrower and Fire Blast for even more power. It will deal a lot more damage when switching into a Fire-type move or when the attack is used under the sun. The downside, Overheat lower's Mega Houndoom's Special Attack two stages after each use which nullifies any Nasty Plot boost is this really a worthwhile mention? I would never use it myself
  • Dark Pulse is another STAB move that hits Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia and Gengar. I would argue that Dark Pulse goes in slot 2. it doesn't have a slash and is much more spammable than your fire move due to it having better neutral coverage. also mention the chance to flinch works great with Mega Houndoom's speed in a clutch situation.
  • Destiny Bond allows Mega Houndoom to take down the opposing Pokemon upon being KOed, getting rid of threats to its teammates. or anything else it cannot take down itself. what Pokemon are good targets to use this move against? I'm thinking stuff like Suicune,
  • Hidden Power Grass gives Mega Houndoom coverage against Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as Rhyperior, and Swampert. this is only stronger against stuff that is 4x weak to it or resists Dark Pulse since STAB DP against a neutral target hits at 120 BP (the same as 2x HP Grass). Rhyperior and Swampert are good mentionings but they aren't super common, so more often than not it's better to just roll with both DP and [fire move]. Add Azumarill, Mega Gyarados as targets as they are more common / troublesome.

Set Details
========

• Maximum Special Attack and Speed allow for Mega Houndoom to have more sweeping potential, hitting hard and fast. It also allows it to outspeed base 110s which notable things do you outspeed? why not go modest?
  • The remaining 4 Special Defense EVs are used to prevent Porygon2 and Porygon-Z not relevant from getting an increase in Special Attack from their ability, Download.
  • If Hidden Power Grass is being used instead of Destiny Bond, an IV of 31/31/30/31/31 and an EV spread of 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe are used.
  • Flash Flare gives Houndoom immunity to any Fire-type move and allows it to switch into a predicted Fire-type attack, increasing the power of its Fire-type attacks. pre mega evo only!!
  • Houndoomite is used to Mega Evolve Mega Houndoom, boosting its Special Attack, Speed, and bulk and grants it the ability Solar Power, allowing for its attacks to hit harder under the sun.

Usage Tips
========

• Would be best to have Pokemon such as Klefki and Latios set up dual screens and Memento this is more suited to team options. explain whether you should lead or not, when to switch in, what things are good to switch in on etc, respectively so Mega Houndoom can have an easier time to set up Nasty Plot easier. Should also be noted to set up Nasty Plot on defensive cores. what can you set Nasty Plot in front of specifically? what are these defensive cores?
  • Houndoom should always try and get an Flash Fire boost from opposing Fire-type Pokemon, getting a boost in its Fire attacks always? I mean yeah go for it if you can predict it but I wouldn't always go for it... Are there any common fire types that make this easy to do?
  • Houndoom should use Knock Off users as a way for it to switch in, Mega Evolving. what?
  • Make sure to also use Mega Charizard Y and Ninetails never seen one of these as bait for them to set up Drought so that Mega Houndoom's Solar Power activates. I mean if I see a Houndoom in team preview then I'm leaving my CharY at home but yeah OK. Maybe say if you suspect your opponent may use it, you can not lead with Houndoom / save it for when CharY has revealed itself so you cna switch in (hopefully getting the boost) and abuse the sun.
  • If Protect is being used, have Mega Houndoom Mega Evolve to get the Speed boost and scout the foe. protect isn't listed on the set though..

Team Options
========

• Ninetails has the ability Drought, which can activate Mega Houndoom's Solar Power ability and boost all its attacking moves. but running 2 fire types on the same team..?
  • Gengar is immune to Fighting-type attacks, whereas Mega Houndoom is immune to Psychic-types. so type synergy, cool
  • Latios is immune to Ground-type moves and can support Mega Houndoom in setting up dual screens and Memento. It can also use Safeguard to keep Mega Houndoom from being inflicted with status ailments. what sorta status is Houndoom prone to?
  • Rotom-W can be an excellent pivot with Volt Switch, bringing in Mega Houndoom safely. Rotom-W can also handle types such as Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types, while Mega Houndoom can handle Grass-types. Rotom-W can also burn Fighting-types with Will-O-Wisp. Be careful that some have the ability Guts. what, Conkeldurr and non-mega Heracross? Maybe also mention Blaziken as it is a fire type so immune
  • Klefki is a great partner for Mega Houndoom. It also can set up dual screens and paralyze sweepers and Choice Scarf users with Thunder Wave. why doesn't Houndoom like facing scarfers? what common scarfers an Klefki prey on to help Houndoom?
  • Gyarados provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom because it resists Fighting- and Water-types. It's also immune to Ground-types and can use them to set up. Gyarados has Intimidate, which can help soften physical attacks aimed at Mega Houndoom.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Sunny Day actives Mega Houndoom's Solar Power, allowing it to hit harder, making it a nice wallbreaker. But it'll have to waste a turn to upon using it. The foe can attack it while trying to set up Sunny Day, as Solar Power also makes Mega Houndoom lose a little health, making it a risky move. I would say it is instead an option over Nasty Plot, explain what it provides over Nasty Plot (ie: Fire moves hit harder under sun compared to non-sun with 1 NP boost, weakens water moves for you) but then explain why Nasty Plot is overall better (boosts Dark moves power more, doesn't hinder any water types you may be running yourself).
  • Solarbeam can be used together with Sunny Day instead of HP grass so that it doesn't need to get a charge. Also it hits for more damage due to Solar Power.
  • Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers
  • Sucker Punch gives it priority in picking off weakened foes.
  • Pursuit can be used to trap and deal extra damage to Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia and Gengar.
  • Overheat is Mega Houndoom's most powerful Fire-type STAB attack, but its Special Attack lowers after every use of it. leave this here if you scrap it on the main set, otherwise remove its mentioning.
  • Taunt can prevent any Pokemon from setting up or inflicting status moves. good targets for this? what stuff would Houndoom benefit from Taunting?
  • Hidden Power Ice allows Mega Houndoom to hit Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-types for super effective damage such as Mega Salamence, Mega Pidgeot Dark Pulse hits for the same base power., and Landorus-T. and Garchomp and Dragonite
  • Protect can be used to gain the Speed boost after Mega Evolving. allows you to mega evolve safely against something that is faster then regular Houndoom but slower than Mega Houndoom
  • A Focus Sash set can be used with Counter and Destiny Bond to surprise a physical attacker and potentially take another opponent out with Destiny Bond. Fire Blast / Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. An EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe is used to help Houndoom take a couple of physical attacks and retaliate with Counter. Destiny Bond is used to take another Pokemon down with Houndoom.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types such as Suicune, Rotom-W, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, and Greninja can all take a STAB Fire Blast from Mega Houndoom. and retaliate with their water moves ofc

**Special Walls**: Porygon2 and Chansey can wall Mega Houndoom's attacks. Porygon2 can Trace Houndoom's Flash Fire before Mega Evolving, making its Fire attacks useless. Chansey can take any Special Attack that Mega Houndoom can dish out can cripple it with Toxic or Thunder Wave. Beware that Mega Houndoom can use Chansey as a setup fodder for Nasty Plot. how?

**Revenge Killers**: Breloom, Conkeldurr and Talonflame OHKO Mega Houndoom with priority Mach Punch and Brave Bird, respectfully. Choice Scarf Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill can outspeed and OHKO with Earthquake. Because of Multiscale, Dragonite can take any of Mega Houndoom's attacks and KO it back with Earthquake, Outrage, and Superpower. split this up

**Conkeldurr**: resists Dark Pulse and doesn't mind a [fire move] coz of it often carrying AssVest. can tank a move and OHKO with Drain Punch, or revenge with Mach Punch

**Azumarill**: resists stabs, can use as belly drum fodder. has aqua jet

**Greninja**: is faster and OHKOs with [water move]

**Choice Scarf Users**: common users like chomp, lando, exca etc.

**Dragonite**: has multiscale so can come in and take an attack, either boosting with DD or straight up killing it with banded EQ.

**Mega Blaziken**: Mega Blaziken resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB moves due to its Fire / Fighting typing. It can use Protect to get a boost from Speed Boost, outspeeding and OHKO Mega Houndoom with High Jump Kick, Superpower or Low Kick (85% chance but still good).

**Talonflame**: im actually a bit shaky about this. choice band doesn't even have a guaranteed OHKO (44%) and boosted Dark Pulse will OHKO back. great revenge killer tho is doom has been weakened.
Overall, just very vague. info seemed OK but yeah you just need to be specific even though this is just a bulleted list. as I've said to others already, treat us like we know absolutely nothing about the pokemon and you're trying to teach us!

Yep, I'm almost done with it. I was slowly inputting everything from the bold comments you told me (was working on another thing on here so I had put this off for a bit)!

I've been over the place with the analyses and I think I have a few more things to talk about and it should be ready again (just a couple more threats I'll need to add in terms of checks and counters as well because I came across a "little" more often towards Mega Houndoom a few weeks ago).

Last edited:
Able to act as an excellent wallbreaker on offensive teams due to its powerful Special Attack boost, tearing down walls after Mega Evolving.
Walls such as?

Has a nice Fire / Dark typing lets Mega Houndoom take on various threats in the metagame.
such as?

In usage tips, talk about when to set up a nasty plot and what pokemon houndoom can set up nasty plots on pretty safely. Mention you shouldnt set up if the opponent still has houndoom checks in the back.

Would be best to have Pokemon such as Klefki and Latios set up dual screens and Memento, respectively so Mega Houndoom can have an easier time to set up Nasty Plot easier
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Unless houndoom w/ screens memento is actually some common core in the metagame it seems very excessive. And really you can put screens and memento along with any pokemon for it to set up. Im not seeing why it should be talked about with houndoom specifically.

Mention counter when you talk about the sash set.

everything else looks solid, although my knowledge of houndoom is pretty limited. 1/3 once all the stuff i mentioned is done

Curious, what about a Mixed (revenges w/ Sucker Punch and traps with Pursuit) and/or a Stallbreaker (W-o-W + Taunt) set? Nasty Plot/Sunny Day is obviously much more powerful in general, but Houndoom can't always set-up safely, and it has trouble against more offensive teams and special walls.

Curious, what about a Mixed (revenges w/ Sucker Punch and traps with Pursuit) and/or a Stallbreaker (W-o-W + Taunt) set? Nasty Plot/Sunny Day is obviously much more powerful in general, but Houndoom can't always set-up safely, and it has trouble against more offensive teams and special walls.
Mixed Doom along with its base 90 Attack isn't really all that viable in Battle Spot unfortunately. I don't necessarily see Mixed Doom to be really effective imo unless you have to run Life Orb on it, which still means that regular Houndoom would still be in a tight spot regardless. Battle Spot is a fast pace metagame so the only main Pokemon I see Will-O-Wisp + Taunt work against are Chansey, Clefable, Mandibuzz, Skarmory, and a few others, but I see much more offensive presence. Pursuit trap isn't much useful on Mega Houndoom either. Well, the only move I would take into consideration is Sucker Punch due to priority in picking off weakened foes or getting a little damage off before it faints. I just don't think Mega Houndoom needs a set of its own pertaining to Mixed sets for this metagame.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
  • One of the more underrated Mega Evolutions because there are much more reliable Mega Pokemon in the metagame such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence.
  • It is also outclassed by Mega Pokemon that are Fire-types such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Blaziken. I'd reduce this to just Mega Charizard Y, as the other two are primarily physical set-up sweepers rather than special nukes so their roles don't overlap as much with Mega Houndoom's
  • Able to act as an excellent wallbreaker on offensive teams due to its powerful Special Attack boost, tearing down walls after Mega Evolving such as Mega Sableye, Cresselia, Ferrothorn, Zapdos, and Gliscor.
  • Has a nice Fire / Dark typing lets Mega Houndoom take on various threats in the metagame such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, Talonflame, and Aegislash. Its Fire typing is nice for neutralizing Fairy attacks. 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Houndoom: 118-141 (78.6 - 94%) - Disagree. Sure, it's a neutrality, but Mega Houndoom is pretty frail and it's not switching into most Fairy attacks despite not being weak.
  • Even though it has a nice set of resistances, its typing leaves it weak to Rock-, Water-, Ground-, and Fighting-types.
  • Function very well under sun support or bait from Mega Charizard Y after Mega Evolving thanks to its ability, Solar Power. Be sure to acknowledge it
  • Has a wide movepool such as Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Pursuit, and Sucker Punch. Providing support, utility, and a way to pick off foes that switch and with priority, respectively.
  • Has mediocre bulk, making it easier for foes to KO it, especially against faster Pokemon and priority attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lopunny, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Blaziken, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr.
  • Excellent Special Attack and Speed stats after it Mega Evolves. Make more of its Speed - 115 is a great Speed tier and Mega Houndoom's main niche over stuff like Zard Y

[SET]
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower Flamethrower to set comments. Much like Zard Y, Houndoom needs as much power as it can get, and given that its main draw is against stall, the occasional miss is a drawback that is outweighed by the additional power. Just my opinion :]
move 4: Destiny Bond / Hidden Power Grass
ability: Flash Flare

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Nasty Plot boosts Mega Houndoom's Special Attack by two stages allowing it to hit harder.
  • Dark Pulse is another STAB move that hits Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia and Gengar and Aegislash. It also has a 20 percent chance of flinching the foe.
  • Fire Blast is a very powerful STAB move, which hits very hard after a Nasty Plot or when the sun is out. But it has a chance to miss.
  • Flamethrower is an alternative move to use over Fire Blast with perfect accuracy but with much less power.
  • Destiny Bond allows Mega Houndoom to take down the opposing Pokemon upon being KOed, getting rid of threats to its teammates and any other foe that it's not able to take down such as Suicune.
  • Hidden Power Grass gives Mega Houndoom coverage against Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as Rhyperior, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, and Swampert.

Set Details
========

• Maximum Special Attack and Speed allow for Mega Houndoom to have more sweeping potential, hitting hard and fast. It also allows it to outspeed base 110s such as Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, Latios, Latias, and Gengar. Timid is preferred over Modest nature because ??? 115 is a clutch speed tier and a Modest nature dips you low enough that you speed tie with +Spe base 100s. Yuck
  • The remaining 4 Special Defense EVs are used to prevent Porygon2 from getting an increase in Special Attack from their ability, Download.
  • If Hidden Power Grass is being used instead of Destiny Bond, an IV of 31/31/30/31/31 and an EV spread of 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe are used.
  • Flash Flare gives Houndoom immunity to any Fire-type move and allows it to switch into a predicted Fire-type attack, increasing the power of its Fire-type attacks before Mega Evolving.
  • Houndoomite is used to Mega Evolve Mega Houndoom, boosting its Special Attack, Speed, and bulk and grants it the ability Solar Power, allowing for its attacks to hit harder under the sun.

Usage Tips
========

• Houndoon should try and get an Flash Fire boost from opposing Fire-type Pokemon, such as Heatran, Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, getting a boost in its Fire attacks.
  • Make sure to also use Mega Charizard Y as bait for them to set up Drought so that Mega Houndoom's Solar Power activates. If you suspect your opponent may use it. Make sure not to lead with Houndoom, instead save it for when Mega Charizard Y reveals itself so Mega Houndoom can switch in and abuse the sun after it Mega Evolves. Try not to make this central to how Houndoom should be played in a Charizard matchup - the vast majority are X and most Zard Y players will see it coming a mile off and prepare accordingly. Be sure to mention it as something to take into account but don't necessarily encourage it
  • Mega Houndoom should set up Nasty Plot on defensive Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, and Cresselia. But don't try to set up Nasty Plot if Mega Houndoom's checks or counters are not KOed yet.

Team Options
========

• Gengar provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom, as it is immune to Fighting-type attacks, whereas Mega Houndoom is immune to Psychic-types. Such as??? mention specifics - Gengar beats Kangaskhan and fat Fairies for Mega Houndoom, while also stallbreaking Chansey if it has Taunt, whereas Houndoom can take down faster Pokémon that threaten Gengar like Weavile and Focus Blast-less Alakazam
  • Rotom-W can be an excellent pivot with Volt Switch, bringing in Mega Houndoom safely. Rotom-W can also handle types such as Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as??? mention things like Tyranitar, Garchomp and Azumarill, while Mega Houndoom can handle Grass-types such as Serperior. not Breloom because Mach Punch is a thing. Rotom-W can also burn Fighting-types with Will-O-Wisp. Be careful that some have the ability Guts such as Conkeldurr and Heracross. Also assurance against Talonflame which can potentially prey on Houndoom's frailty
  • Gyarados also provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom because it resists Fighting- and Water-types. It's also immune to Ground-types and can use them to set up. Gyarados has Intimidate, which can help soften physical attacks aimed at Mega Houndoom.
  • Latios and Klefki pairs well with Mega Houndoom, as both can set up dual screens. Latios is immune to Ground-types and can use Safeguard to keep Mega Houndoom from being inflicted by poison, paralysis, and sleep. Latios also can use Memento to force a Pokemon out, allowing for Mega Houndoom to freely set up Nasty Plot. Klefki also has access to Thunder Wave, which allows for Mega Houndoom to gain Speed control over the opposing team, especially Choice Scarf Pokemon. But be careful with Ground-types such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill. Remove Safeguard, screens and Memento mentions as they apply to any sweeper and Mega Houndoom can create its own setup opportunities against things like Aegislash (mention this in usage tips!!). Thunder Wave can be kept as speed control is useful against faster things like Greninja, but don't limit it to Kleffki: mention T-Wave more generally or add more examples such as Thundurus

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Sunny Day actives Mega Houndoom's Solar Power, allowing it to hit harder, making it a nice wallbreaker. But it'll have to waste a turn to upon using it. The foe can attack it while trying to set up Sunny Day, as Solar Power also makes Mega Houndoom lose a little health, making it a risky move. Also Nasty Plot has a similar effect without the drawback
  • Solarbeam can be used together with Sunny Day instead of Hidden Power Grass, so that it doesn't need to get a charge. Also it hits for more damage due to Solar Power. However, your primary coverage move for Water-types is dependent on Sun being up so that's not ideal in a pinch
  • Overheat can be used over Flamethrower and Fire Blast for even more power. It will deal a lot more damage when switching into a Fire-type move or when the attack is used under the sun. The downside, Overheat lower's Mega Houndoom's Special Attack after each use.
  • Pursuit can be used to trap and deal extra damage to Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia and Gengar.
  • Taunt can prevent any Pokemon from setting up or inflicting status moves such as Chansey and Porygon2. Maybe move this out of OO? I like Taunt Houndoom a lot as it nullifies a lot of its T-Wave problems and makes it a stellar stallbreaker
  • Hidden Power Ice allows Mega Houndoom to hit Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-types for super effective damage such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Landorus-T.
  • Protect allows it to Mega Evolve safely against against Pokemon that are faster than Houndoom and slower than Mega Houndoom. However, it wastes a moveslot and isn't really necessary in most cases
  • A Focus Sash set can be used with Destiny Bond, Counter, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse.

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune, Rotom-W, and Mega Gyarados, can all take a STAB Fire Blast from Mega Houndoom and can retaliate with their STAB Water-type moves.
  • **Special Walls**: Porygon2 and Chansey can wall Mega Houndoom's attacks. Porygon2 can Trace Houndoom's Flash Fire before Mega Evolving, making its Fire attacks useless. Chansey can take any Special Attack that Mega Houndoom can dish out can cripple it with Toxic or Thunder Wave. Beware that Mega Houndoom can use Chansey as setup fodder for Nasty Plot after using Taunt.
  • **Mega Blaziken**: Mega Blaziken resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB moves due to its Fire / Fighting typing. It can use Protect to get a boost from Speed Boost, outspeeding and OHKO Mega Houndoom with High Jump Kick.
  • **Conkeldurr**: Conkeldurr resists Mega Houndoom's Dark Pulse and can survive a Fire-type attack, as it carries Assault Vest. I can then retaliate with Drain Punch or revenge kill with Mach Punch.
  • **Azumarill**: Azumarill resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB attacks and use it as a setup fodder to get a Belly Drum off. It can then KO with Aqua Jet.
  • **Greninja**: Greninja outspeeds Mega Houndoom and KOs it with its STAB Water-type moves.
  • **Dragonite**: Dragonite has Multiscale which takes only half of any attack Mega Houndoom hits it with while at full HP. It can set up with Dragon Dance and outspeed or OHKO with Choice Band Earthquake.
  • **Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Tyranitar, resists Mega Houndoom's Fire-type moves and puts offensive pressure on it. Both regular and Mega Aerodactyl outspeeds Mega Houndoom and can OHKO it with Stone Edge. Tyranitar also resists Mega Houndoom's Dark-type moves and KO it with its Rock-type STAB moves.

QC 2/3

e: post 600!!!

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Going back to the Counter+sash combo, the usage stats have increased to over 20%. Now like cant say said earlier this is probably because Houndoom is hardly seen anywhere and therefore a few people using it creates a big change in stats, but it might be better to move it up to the front of OO instead of in the back where it seems really unimportant, because it really isn't. At least before your opponent reveal their mega it's risky to carelessly attack houndoom with a physical hit.

Well, here goes nothing...

add
remove
(comments)

[OVERVIEW]
  • One of the more underrated Mega Evolutions because there are much more reliable Mega Pokemon in the metagame such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence.
  • It is also outclassed by Mega Pokemon that are Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y.
  • Able to act as an excellent wallbreaker on offensive teams due to its powerful Special Attack boost, tearing down walls after Mega Evolving such as Mega Sableye, Cresselia, Ferrothorn, Zapdos, and Gliscor.
  • Has a nice Fire / Dark typing lets Mega Houndoom take on various threats in the metagame such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, Talonflame, and Aegislash.
  • Even though it has a nice set of resistances, its typing leaves it weak to Rock-, Water-, Ground-, and Fighting-types.
  • Function very well under sun support or bait from Mega Charizard Y after Mega Evolving thanks to its ability Solar Power.
  • Has a wide movepool such as Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Pursuit, and Sucker Punch. Providing support, utility, and a way to pick off foes that switch and with priority, respectively.
  • Has mediocre bulk, making it easier for foes to KO it, especially against faster Pokemon and priority attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lopunny, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Blaziken, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr.
  • Excellent Special Attack and Speed stats after it Mega Evolves. It's base 115 Speed gives it a niche over Mega Charizard Y.
(When you write this part up, you can merge/remove some of these points. Just explain why its typing is good and/or bad offensively and defensively, that its bulk and speed aren't that great (esp. before MEvo) and which common Pokemon can take advantage of that, and most importantly, why you'd use it over other Mega Evolutions (namely it's STABs, access to Nasty Plot, and base 115 Speed after MEvo). The part about its ability and wide movepool can be removed since the former will rarely (if ever) come into play if Sunny Day isn't being used, and most of those moves aren't on the main set.)

[SET]
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower (This can be dropped to Moves.)
move 4: Destiny Bond / Hidden Power Grass / Taunt
ability: Flash Flare Flash Fire

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot boosts Mega Houndoom's Special Attack by two stages allowing it to hit harder. Dark Pulse is a STAB move that hits Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Cresselia, Aegislash and Gengar. It also has a 20 percent chance of flinching the foe. (not relevant enough) Fire Blast is a another more powerful STAB move, which hits very hard after a Nasty Plot or when the sun is out. But it has a chance to miss. Flamethrower is an alternative move to use over Fire Blast with perfect accuracy but with much less power. Destiny Bond allows Mega Houndoom to take down the opposing Pokemon upon being KOed, getting rid of threats to its teammates and any other foe that it's not able to take down such as Suicune. Hidden Power Grass gives Mega Houndoom coverage against Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as Rhyperior, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, and Swampert. Taunt can be used over Hidden Power Grass and or Destiny Bond to make Mega Houndoom an efficient stallbreaker, allowing to prevent any Pokemon from setting up or inflicting status moves such as sweepers, Chansey, and Porygon2.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed allow for Mega Houndoom to have more sweeping potential, hitting hard and fast. It also allows it to outspeed base 110s such as Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, Latios, Latias, and Gengar. Timid is preferred over Modest nature, as Modest would put Mega Houndoom in a Speed tie with base 100 Pokemon. The remaining 4 Special Defense EVs are used to prevent Porygon2 from getting an increase in Special Attack from their ability, Download. If Hidden Power Grass is being used instead of Destiny Bond, an IV of 31/31/30/31/31 and an EV spread of 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe are used. Flash Flare Flash Fire gives Houndoom immunity to any Fire-type move and allows it to switch into a predicted Fire-type attack, increasing the power of its Fire-type attacks before Mega Evolving. Houndoominite is used necessary to Mega Evolve Mega Houndoom, boosting its Special Attack, (remove comma) and Speed, and bulk and grants it the ability Solar Power, allowing for its attacks to hit harder under the sun. (As mentioned before, its ability rarely comes into play, especially without Sunny Day, and its bulk still isn't that great after MEvo.)

Usage Tips
========

Houndoon should try and get an Flash Fire boost from opposing Fire-type Pokemon whenever possible, such as Heatran, Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, getting a boost in its Fire attacks. Make sure to also use Mega Charizard Y as bait for them to set up Drought so that Mega Houndoom's Solar Power activates. If you suspect your opponent may use it. M, make sure not to lead with Houndoom, instead save it for when Mega Charizard Y reveals itself so Mega Houndoom can switch in and abuse the sun after it Mega Evolves. Be careful because the majority of players run Mega Charizard X. Players that use Mega Charizard Y, will see Mega Houndoom and prepare accordingly. Mega Houndoom should set up Nasty Plot on defensive Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, and Cresselia. (watch out for a random status move though, esp. Thunder Wave) But don't try to set up Nasty Plot if Mega Houndoom's checks or counters are not KOed yet.

Team Options
========

Gengar provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom, as it is immune to Fighting-type attacks, whereas Mega Houndoom is immune to Psychic-type attacks. Gengar can handle Mega Kangaskhan and Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir, Azumarill, and Sylveon. It can also stallbreak Chansey if it runs Taunts, whereas Mega Houndoom can take on Pokemon faster than Gengar such as Weavile and non Focus Blast Alakazam. Rotom-W can be an excellent pivot with Volt Switch, bringing in Mega Houndoom safely. Rotom-W can also handle types such as Rock-, Ground-, and Water-types such as Tyrannitar, Garchomp, and Azumarill, while Mega Houndoom can handle Grass-types such as Serperior. Rotom-W can surely wall Talonflame, which can potentially prey on Mega Houndoom's frailness. It also burn Fighting-types with Will-O-Wisp. Be careful that some have the ability Guts such as Conkeldurr and Heracross. Gyarados also provides great synergy with Mega Houndoom because it resists Fighting- and Water-types. It's also immune to Ground-types and can use them to set up. Gyarados has Intimidate, which can help soften physical attacks aimed at Mega Houndoom. Klefki and Thundurus pairs well with Mega Houndoom, as they both provide Thunder Wave support, allowing for Mega Houndoom to gain Speed control over the opposing team. Thundurus also helps in dealing with Water-types as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• A Focus Sash set can be used with Destiny Bond, Counter, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. It also don't need to run any defensive EVs due to its frailness.
  • Sunny Day actives Mega Houndoom's Solar Power, allowing it to hit harder, making it a nice wallbreaker. But it'll have to waste a turn to upon using it. The foe can attack it while trying to set up Sunny Day, as Solar Power also makes Mega Houndoom lose a little health, making it a risky move. Nasty Plot has the same effect without the drawbacks.
  • Solarbeam can be used together with Sunny Day instead of Hidden Power Grass, so that it doesn't need to get a charge. Also it hits for more damage due to Solar Power. However, Mega Houndoom's primary coverage move for Water-types is dependent on the sun being up so there's no point in using it.
  • Overheat can be used over Flamethrower and Fire Blast for even more power. It will deal a lot more damage when switching into a Fire-type move or when the attack is used under the sun. The downside, Overheat lower's Mega Houndoom's Special Attack after each use.
  • Hidden Power Ice allows Mega Houndoom to hit Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-types for super effective damage such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Landorus-T.
  • Protect allows it to Mega Evolve safely against against Pokemon that are faster than Houndoom and slower than Mega Houndoom. However, Mega Houndoom has no room for that moveslot.
(No Substitute or Flame Charge?)

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune, Rotom-W, and Mega Gyarados, can all take a STAB Fire Blast from Mega Houndoom and can retaliate with their STAB Water-type moves. (This can be moved down, since most of them obviously won't like taking a +2 STAB DP or 2x effective HP Grass.)
  • **Special Walls**: Porygon2 and Chansey can wall Mega Houndoom's attacks. Porygon2 can Trace Houndoom's Flash Fire before Mega Evolving, making its Fire attacks useless. Chansey can take any Special Attack that Mega Houndoom can dish out can cripple it with Toxic or Thunder Wave. Beware that Mega Houndoom can use Chansey as setup fodder for Nasty Plot after using Taunt. (Add Clefable, with emphasis on Unaware variants, and the occasional Snorlax.)
  • **Mega Blaziken**: Mega Blaziken resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB moves due to its Fire / Fighting typing. It can use Protect to get a boost from Speed Boost, outspeeding and OHKO Mega Houndoom with High Jump Kick.
  • **Conkeldurr**: Conkeldurr resists Mega Houndoom's Dark Pulse and can survive a Fire-type attack, as it carries Assault Vest. I can then retaliate with Drain Punch or revenge kill with Mach Punch.
  • **Azumarill**: Azumarill resists both of Mega Houndoom's STAB attacks and use it as a setup fodder to get a Belly Drum off. It can then KO with Aqua Jet.
  • **Greninja**: Greninja outspeeds Mega Houndoom and KOs it with its STAB Water-type moves. (Can it switch in on a +2 STAB attack or 2x effective HP Grass though? It's rather shaky at best, so I'd remove it.)
  • **Dragonite**: Dragonite has Multiscale which takes only half of any attack Mega Houndoom hits it with while at full HP. It can set up with Dragon Dance and outspeed or OHKO with Choice Band Earthquake.
  • **Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Tyranitar, resists Mega Houndoom's Fire-type moves and puts offensive pressure on it. Both regular and Mega Aerodactyl outspeeds Mega Houndoom and can OHKO it with Stone Edge. Tyranitar also resists Mega Houndoom's Dark-type moves and KO it with its Rock-type STAB moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)