Houndoom

Unless you feel like using Purgatory, just use the same sets as Smogon has right now, right?

Plus a Nitro Charge/Fire Blast/Dark Pulse/[Nasty Plot/HP Flying/HP Ground/Sucker Punch] set.

Also, why does Houndoom need Cheer Up when it has Nasty Plot (and Nitro Charge)?

I'm just going to say, Houndoom is boss this gen. It is easily the best answer (that isn't overhyped like 'Zukin) to the Nattorei/Burungel defensive core that people seem to think is effective, and can come in after Shandera has killed something and turn the momentum by using NP on the switch. There are alot of oppertunities for it to set up in the current metagame. At +2 it can also OHKO all but the most SpDef based variants of Zuruzukin with Flamethrower.

Strangely, its best set is the same this gen as it was last gen, as that sexy STAB priority is just too good to pass up.

Like others have said, just keep it away from Roob and Breloom.

I just love passing dances from venomoth to this guy in UU, especially if you pass into a fire attack. There really isn't anything in UU that can stop a Houndoom with two or three dances. Azumarill, Sharpedo and some fighting priority can force the switch. People talk about passing to Nidoking, but i've found houndoom more effective.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
The Natt/Burungeru combo is shut down by a 4th gen infernape. Houndoom taking it out is nice and everything, but not overwhelmingly impressive. I wonder if houndoom can take on gliscor with fire blast after a nasty plot? That would certainly help him case as I see more Natt/Gliscor more than anything.

Additionally, I've also found houndoom useful for pursuiting spin blockers if you don't want tyranitar. There is szicor however, and houndoom is weak to SR. Unfortunately, shandera is not a very popular spin blocker.

The Natt/Burungeru combo is shut down by a 4th gen infernape. Houndoom taking it out is nice and everything, but not overwhelmingly impressive. I wonder if houndoom can take on gliscor with fire blast after a nasty plot? That would certainly help him case as I see more Natt/Gliscor more than anything.

Additionally, I've also found houndoom useful for pursuiting spin blockers if you don't want tyranitar. There is szicor however, and houndoom is weak to SR. Unfortunately, shandera is not a very popular spin blocker.
But it is extremely popular in other roles, so I think that argument is moot. As a pursuiter, its beaten by a lot of other Dark types with better Atk, as 90 Base Atk isn't even average anymore.

Also, Fire Blast from +2 184 SpA neutral natured (aka the standard) Houndoom does 105.1% - 123.7% to 252HP/252 SpD Careful Gliscor (aka the most Sp. Defensive Gliscor can get). So its always a KO.

While I don't think Houndoom will be OU, I think it'll definitely have more utility than in past Gens due to the introduction of Burungeru, Shandy, Natt and others whom the meta has shifted to accomodate.

I think in particular that he could be of value on Sun teams - Flash Fire is very useful for them to take boosted Fire hits, Priority is always valuable (especially as the Latis give Sun trouble) and a strong Pursuit to beat spinblockers will prove very useful for a team which often runs some very SR weak pokemon. Also, in Sun Burungeru's Boiling Water is halved, making it an even better counter.

Essentially his ability, typing and movepool combo is very unique, so he may well be able to find a niche.

alphatron

OHKO'ing defensive gliscor is excellent. I've run Houndoom on a few sun teams before. In dreamworld, he constantly revenged shandera or launched sun boosted STAB Fire blasts at incoming roopushin. At one point, I recall running taunt on him to keep him from being set up fodder (blaziken using you as setup when you're running a sun team is a gigantic pain in the rear, but +2 LO Timid Fire blast in the sun deals around 70-88% of Blaziken's hp if he attempts to set up). But I also recall HP Fighting handling those lousy heatran and tyranitar who didn't think you could touch them as well.

Sucker Punch or Pursuit/Crunch is a tough choice. Unless you catch him on the switch, you're always beat by gengar. He subs/disables crunch. He subs on the sucker punch. He focus blasts you. I generally found sucker punch to be better overall, since aside from burungeru (boil over is pretty pathetic even against houndoom), rankurusu, shinpora and scarfed pokemon, things rarely switch out from houndoom. I personally opted for sucker punch most of the time, nonetheless.

He was quite frail, but I ended up using him as a wall breaker, or an annoyance to walls with taunt, which works quite well with either pursuit OR sucker punch. I don't use him now because offense is everywhere and walls have dwindled from what I've seen. But in the future when the metagame irons itself out, I can definitely see him finding his place.

Can Houndoom effectively use Nitro Charge? I wanna try something like a mixed set w/ it but nothing comes to mind.
Houndoom is better known for using Nasty Plot than Nitro Charge. but it could work:
-Nitro Charge
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ground/Fighting)/Sucker Punch/Nasty Plot
Nature: Mild/Hasty/Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe (if someone can provide a better EV spread, it'd be appreciated)
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire

The only problem I can see is that it's hard to find a good move for the last slot.

I'm just going to say, Houndoom is boss this gen. It is easily the best answer (that isn't overhyped like 'Zukin) to the Nattorei/Burungel defensive core that people seem to think is effective, and can come in after Shandera has killed something and turn the momentum by using NP on the switch. There are alot of oppertunities for it to set up in the current metagame. At +2 it can also OHKO all but the most SpDef based variants of Zuruzukin with Flamethrower.

Strangely, its best set is the same this gen as it was last gen, as that sexy STAB priority is just too good to pass up.

Like others have said, just keep it away from Roob and Breloom.
Houndoom hasn't changed(much), but the environment has(in a positive way). That's the thing. Houndoom hasn't gotten much better, but his usage will rise (I think).

Its seems like it will be a strong UU with usage in OU but i havent played with it or against it very much

alphatron

Naive houndoom lives through a timid -2 Latios Draco meteor with no investment if stealth rock isn't down. Since Tyranitar can't see a place on sun teams, and since Scizor (and metagross) get smacked by sun boosted hp fire, I was planning on using a houndoom to revenge him. With a little investment in attack, houndoom can ohko a fleeing latios with pursuit or an attacking latios with sucker punch.

I'd totally use him if he didn't give my team a third free enemy heatran switch in, which I can't say while I run arcanine (yeah, I couldn't resist going back to him).

I have been totally destroying teams with this guy in uu... for some reason I never see him on other teams... what is it about this guy that people dont like? I reckon if there werent so many fighting types this gen he would have been bl

Yes the presence of so many high powered fighting types and bulky waters makes Houndoom a pretty risky pick for your team. About the only "good" pokemon more frail than Houndoom are Sharpeedo, Weavile and Exeggcutor (at least in my experience). It's sad really.

He's decent on a draught team, but doesn't outshine most fire types. He's good at revenge killing, but is easily switched into. Even if he nasty plots, he's easily walled and even killed by walls. Inferno did not help him much. And although Foul Play is really interesting its true usefulness is low (it's not very effective against most pokemon you'd want to use it on, and on the pokemon it's neutral to, it usually doesn't deal enough damage to warrant its use over dark pulse). You can't really run choice scarf on Houndoom either, because then you're just giving up his decent versatility.

It'd be nice if Hone Claws + Inferno could actually be run on him, but the only pokemon that can run that with any hopes of success seems like the semi-bulky Heatmor.

An average pokemon. But I'm mostly happy where he's at right now. I really wish Game Freak had given him and other pokemon like him more useful DW abilities to spice things up a bit but maybe 6th gen? Or maybe he'll get a good 5th gen move tutor move?

I have been using him to switch into fire attacks and to pretty much any ghost besides the ghost/ground dickhead... and he is doing his damn thing with the ghost busting set. I have noticed that most teams in uu are almost always running @ least 1 ghost and or one fire type so hes getting switch ins and tearing holes in teams... Yea Hitmontop is everywhere as you said, but i got teamates that handle him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)