1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 3 How can skarmory survive Magneton?

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by jamestown33, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jamestown33

jamestown33

I've heard of people using substitute skarmory to survive Magneton...can anyone tell me how exactly this works? does substitute prevent magnet pull? or am I missing something? I hate losing my physical wall especially with the growing number of Magnetons.
  2. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

We have a Simple Question, Simple Answer thread for questions like this. The purpose of Substitute is to set it up as Magneton switches in, allowing you to Whirlwind/Roar it away while it only breaks your Substitute.

Skarmory will never "beat" Magneton using it, but you will be alerted to the fact that your opponent has a Magenton in their team.
  3. jamestown33

jamestown33

oh sorry! thanks for the info I'll use the simple thread next time.
  4. Untelligent

Untelligent

If you have HP ground, and the right amount of attack/speed EV's, you can 2HKO it before it hits you if you substitute on the switch... But the lack of Drill Peck might make it less useful in most other areas...
  5. Umby

Umby I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

That's why most HP Ground variant Skarmories are CBed.
  6. Cruiselax

Cruiselax

ipl's skarm surived my 330ish maggy bot once, so i guess max hp/spdef works
  7. Great Sage

Great Sage

The primary reason to use Substitute is that Netbattle 0.96 has a glitch in which Rapid Spin doesn't remove Spikes against a Substitute. However, Substitute can also scout for Magneton, which Skarmory can Whirlwind off; like others have said, it still will not "beat" Magneton, though.
  8. The.Lost.Hylian

The.Lost.Hylian I'll have what you're drinking
    is a Researcher Alumnus

Choice Banding Skarmory is fucking stupid. If you're going to Choice Band Skarmory just to kill Magneton, then use something else. The point of using Skarmory is to take physical beatings, not kill the Pokemon that would be used to counter him. Giving Skarmory a Choice Band removes his usefulness on your team. He can't function. He wasn't made to attack. If you're worried about Magneton, use a different Pokemon as your physical wall.
  9. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Just switch out or Roar/Whirlwind first turn anyway?
  10. rekt

rekt

All Substitute does is make it so on the switch you get a Substitute up, and then you can Roar/Whirlwind the Magneton away.
  11. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Choice Band Skarmory is awesome. It still takes physical hits as a CBer (just add Wish Blissey or whatever), and the fact that it hits harder means it doesn't need to take as many hits. It 2HKOs Raikou with HP Ground, 2HKOs Zapdos, Gyarados, and Salamence with Rock Slide, 2HKOs Tyranitar with Steel Wing / HP Ground... I used Drill Peck, HP Ground, Rock Slide, Spikes (so if they have Steelix or Skarmory or whatever you can set up first instead of being walled).
  12. The.Lost.Hylian

The.Lost.Hylian I'll have what you're drinking
    is a Researcher Alumnus

Maybe you have better prediction than I do, but I found I had to switch way too often when I tried CB Skarmory. It wasn't very effective.
  13. Umby

Umby I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Reiterating on what Obi said, also adding in my two cents on having witnessed CBSkarm's decent success a while ago.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)