How do you pick a version?

Gen I: Blue. Blue is my favorite color.
Gen II: Silver. Because I liked Lugia from the 2nd Pokemon movie.
Gen III: Sapphire. Because my favorite color is blue.
Gen IV: Diamond. I like how Dialga looks compared to Palkia (Dialga being shaded blue while Palkia pink also possibly helped). Also I'm born in April so my birthstone is a diamond.
Gen V: White. I like how Zekrom looks compared to Reshiram.
Gen V2: White 2. Because I got White and this is meant to be a sequel.
Gen VI: Y. I like how Yveltal looks compared to Xerneas. Also I'm a male so I have a Y chromosome instead of a second X.
Gen IIIR: Alpha Sapphire. Because I got Sapphire. Had I got the other remakes I would have gone with the version that I originally gotten (with LeafGreen replacing Blue for the Gen I remakes).

Yeah, nothing that surprising, BUT here's some interesting trivia. The exclusive Legendaries for Alpha Sapphire was Lugia, Kyogre, Dialga, and Zekrom; the Legendary mascots of all the versions I bought!
What about FRLG and HGSS? Did you not pick them up?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What about FRLG and HGSS? Did you not pick them up?
I usually skipped the third version/remake since the third version was usually just an enhanced version of the pair games and being I played the originals games I never felt I needed to get the remakes which was for the most part the region with updated graphics and mechanics (yes they added stuff, but for some reason the added stuf never drew me in). Of course as of recently things started to change. For BW2 it wasn't an enhanced version of the pair games but rather a sequel with an entirely new story that continued from the previous one. As for ORAS the introduction of Mega Evolution and moving onto 3D graphics made me think they were going to change up the story and locations. And while they did, it wasn't to the extent I thought they were but I still enjoyed it (also it having all the new Mega Evolutions convinced me to get it. I was also hoping it would have the Battle Frontier but obviously that fell through). That said my brother did get Yellow and Crystal, however he fell out of the Pokemon fad. Also I watched playthroughs of Emerald, FRLG, Platinum, and HGSS so I know what changes they did in those games.

Sorry for double-posting, but I just realized I forgot something:

I also have one question in particular - do you think there is a bias in that people tend to pick the "leading version" more often? By leading version I mean, Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, X and so on.
I think most of the time the determining factor is the Pokemon on the box since it's at least known by everyone that you get that Pokemon but not the other one (usually). Let's go by generation:

Gen I: Red & Blue
While a turtle with cannons sticking out of its shell probably appealed to the hardcore kids (or the title's color was the player's favorite color), for most everyone else I think a dragon probably drew in more purchases. I'd argue in Japan where the choice was Red & Green the same rule applied: dragon over flower frog.
Gen II: Gold & Silver
Unfortunately for Ho-Oh, Lugia just starred in the most recent Pokemon movie. I guess Ho-Oh did have the most valuable metal as its game title, but I would think Lugia was on a lot of players' mind due to the movie.
Gen III: Ruby & Sapphire
Hulking dinosaur beast vs. odd big-finned fish. Though like with Gen I favorite color would play a role.
Gen I-R: FireRed & LeafGreen
As I said above, dragon vs. flower frog. Though once again favorite color could play a part.
Gen IV: Diamond & Pearl
Dialga had a bit more of the fiercer design (not being pink probably helped with that) and diamond is a more valuable and harder gem than a pearl. However I could understand those who didn't like Dialga being a quadruped dinosaur and preferred the more dragon-like Palkia despite being pink.
Gen II-R: HeartGold & SoulSilver
Hmm, hard call. No movie bolstering one of them so I would say Ho-Oh probably had the better chance here because of the gold in the name. However the "heart" part could have driven away some to SoulSilver since "soul" is a gender-neutral thing. I suppose you could also say Lugia looks a bit more dragon-like, but I don't think its enough to balance the scale in favor of the more obvious phoenix-based Ho-Oh.
Gen V: Black & White
A graceful white angel-bird vs. black mecha dragon. I don't think color played a role unless you wanted to go with a race joke.
Gen V2: Black 2 & White 2
I actually imagine this was more driven by what first Gen V you got. But if you didn't get those then I think MAYBE Kyurem Black would attract more simply since it incorporates themes from the previous popular black mecha dragon.
Gen VI: X & Y
Death vulture vs. life deer. Color could also play a part and maybe even gender if a player knows a person's gender is based on the 23rd chromosome.
Gen III-R: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
The hulking dinosaur beast is now covered in magma while the odd big-finned fish only got some transparent skin.

But as we've discussed everyone has their own reason and from what I'm reading its just as often getting the opposite version of a friend/sibling then for choosing due to color/Pokemon on the box/or whatever other reason.

Tl;dr: No, I don't think a version being "first" or "second" have anything to do with it. Infact I'm sure a lot of players don't even see it that way as that sort of makes the false connotation that one version is superior over the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for double-posting, but I just realized I forgot something:

I think most of the time the determining factor is the Pokemon on the box since it's at least known by everyone that you get that Pokemon but not the other one (usually). Let's go by generation:

Gen I: Red & Blue
While a turtle with cannons sticking out of its shell probably appealed to the hardcore kids (or the title's color was the player's favorite color), for most everyone else I think a dragon probably drew in more purchases. I'd argue in Japan where the choice was Red & Green the same rule applied: dragon over flower frog.
Gen II: Gold & Silver
Unfortunately for Ho-Oh, Lugia just starred in the most recent Pokemon movie. I guess Ho-Oh did have the most valuable metal as its game title, but I would think Lugia was on a lot of players' mind due to the movie.
Gen III: Ruby & Sapphire
Hulking dinosaur beast vs. odd big-finned fish. Though like with Gen I favorite color would play a role.
Gen I-R: FireRed & LeafGreen
As I said above, dragon vs. flower frog. Though once again favorite color could play a part.
Gen IV: Diamond & Pearl
Dialga had a bit more of the fiercer design (not being pink probably helped with that) and diamond is a more valuable and harder gem than a pearl. However I could understand those who didn't like Dialga being a quadruped dinosaur and preferred the more dragon-like Palkia despite being pink.
Gen II-R: HeartGold & SoulSilver
Hmm, hard call. No movie bolstering one of them so I would say Ho-Oh probably had the better chance here because of the gold in the name. However the "heart" part could have driven away some to SoulSilver since "soul" is a gender-neutral thing. I suppose you could also say Lugia looks a bit more dragon-like, but I don't think its enough to balance the scale in favor of the more obvious phoenix-based Ho-Oh.
Gen V: Black & White
A graceful white angel-bird vs. black mecha dragon. I don't think color played a role unless you wanted to go with a race joke.
Gen V2: Black 2 & White 2
I actually imagine this was more driven by what first Gen V you got. But if you didn't get those then I think MAYBE Kyurem Black would attract more simply since it incorporates themes from the previous popular black mecha dragon.
Gen VI: X & Y
Death vulture vs. life deer. Color could also play a part and maybe even gender if a player knows a person's gender is based on the 23rd chromosome.
Gen III-R: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
The hulking dinosaur beast is now covered in magma while the odd big-finned fish only got some transparent skin.

But as we've discussed everyone has their own reason and from what I'm reading its just as often getting the opposite version of a friend/sibling then for choosing due to color/Pokemon on the box/or whatever other reason.

Tl;dr: No, I don't think a version being "first" or "second" have anything to do with it. Infact I'm sure a lot of players don't even see it that way as that sort of makes the false connotation that one version is superior over the other.
There's an edit button.

I basically always go with the mascot that I think is cooler, except Red (got it as a gift when I was super young), FireRed (because I got Red), and X (I wanted Charizardite X).

Got Blue for my birthday once since my brother had Red. Got Gold for Christmas then Silver for my birthday (like 2 months apart so eh) but finished Silver before Gold (first Pokemon game I finished). Ever since I always bought the 2nd one first. If I get both at the same time (like I do now) I will always play and finish the 2nd one before the first and name my rival after my brother.

I think the leading version play a much bigger role for older games. Whenever you look up gen 1, 2 and 3 glitches, it is mostly done on Pokemon red, gold, ruby and fire red or their remakes. For some reasons every run, challenge, story or glitch seems to be on the first version, while when someone actually go out and purchase the game, the ''coolest'' version get chosen the most.

On a side note, it makes me really sad that so many people hate FR/LG ;-; aren't there any 1st gen remake fans here?

^I do, I like how it updated Gen 1 and it's broken gameplay. Plus I loved the redesigns of the characters and even gave us things like the Fame Checker (love learning something new about the gym leaders) and more importantly Vs Seeker :)

Anyway back to topic. Actually, more so in the later games I would get both versions, but I have pretty much played at (almost) both versions of each game.

Gen 1- Honestly cannot remember I think it was Red. At least the first game I finished was Red. No real reason, I did like Blue as a better and would have probably gotten that first.

Gen 2- Gold was the first one I got. I don't think I really got to play Silver. I preferred Gold's sprites anyway and exclusives. Oh and Ho-oh. Also I don't think I was up for going through the early routes with all those Weedles poisoning my pokemon. Crystal would still be my favourite though.

Gen 3- I think Ruby was the one I first touched, even though again Sapphire would be my preferred first pick since it was also closer to my favourite colour. I did like the Ruby's exclusives better like Solrock and Zangoose.

I think I got Fire Red first also just because it was more available then Leaf Green, even though I always wanted to use the LG exclusives more.

Gen 4- My brother got Diamond so we shared that. Never got Pearl since Palkia didn't appeal to me whatsoever. Dialga looked really cool.

For the remakes I got Heart Gold first, since again, better exclusives and Ho-oh. Lugia doesn't really appeal to me as much.

Gen 5- Black first since I loved the exclusives more. Also Black City seemed better than White Forest for grinding/levelling to evolve Pokemon for the Dex.

I played Black 2 first as well. Mostly for unlocking Challenge mode to give to White 2 which I played after.

Gen 6- Version exclusives wasn't as big as a factor for this one because I didn't want to be spoiled and wanted to do a blind run, but I still went with Y first because of Yveltal's design. Even though Charizardite X and the Clauncher line was tempting, I really enjoyed Y and the stroyline seemed to fit better.

For ORAS, definitely did Omega Ruby first to for Primal Groudon- I was just so interested in using the Desolate Land ability and boy it did not disappoint! Water attacks evaporating in the face of my Camerupt was just so satisfying! I also finally got to use Zangoose as a main team member- always loved that pokemon. Version exclusive-wise though, Alpha Sapphire had the preferred bunch- also interestingly because they were all mostly blue in colour.

On a side note, it makes me really sad that so many people hate FR/LG ;-; aren't there any 1st gen remake fans here?
I remember one of the complaints was that FRLG did not have Johto as a post-game region - some people were expecting a "reverse-Gold/Silver" in that sense.

Back on topic, interesting to see some people picking a version based on the pokemon sprites! I recall there is a "worst pokemon sprites" thread here somewhere - always cracks me up. When did Gamefreak stop doing different sprites for different versions? Gen IV?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Back on topic, interesting to see some people picking a version based on the pokemon sprites! I recall there is a "worst pokemon sprites" thread here somewhere - always cracks me up. When did Gamefreak stop doing different sprites for different versions? Gen IV?
Gen II was the only game that had different sprites between the paired versions. However the third version and remakes for all generations usually gave the Pokemon in the regional dex new sprites.

I find it interesting picking a game based on the sprites, never crossed my mind.

Well it's not so much me picking Gold because of the sprites but when I saw Silver's sprites I went 'wow glad I got Gold, I enjoyed Gold's sprites better!'

So it really justified me enjoying Gold better. Oh and Gold had one of my favourite pokemon Sandshrew too in the wild. Even more plus points for that.

That said I strongly remember as a kid wanting Crystal the most when I saw the box art for it at a toy shop. Even stronger than any other Pokemon game at the time because of the cover art and Suicune was one of my favourite legendary Pokemon designs. The other features like playing as a girl or animated sprites were just secondary to the neat box art so if it came out with Gold and Silver at the same time I would have definitely picked Crystal straight away for box art alone.

Last edited:
Gen 1: Red, albeit that my parents only let me rent it, and after I played so much on it, they wouldn't actually buy a Gameboy for me. I only got stuck at around the third Gym before it had to be returned. I now have my own Red version that a friend gave me, but the save file won't last 24 hours, so the internal battery must be dead. I have never finished a Gen I game, and it looks like I never will.

Gen 2: Silver.
I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it was because someone else who played Pokemon that I befriended was going to get Gold, but it might have only been on a whim. I played that game for many hours on end, and remember getting my Typhlosion and Politoed into the 90s, though I can't check, seeing as how the save file went poof. Same thing went for my Crystal version.

Gen 3: Sapphire.
I think partially because the box art was blue, which was closer to my first game's silver coloration than Ruby's, so I choose Sapphire out of tradition, and because I liked Kyogre better. Emerald however had more of the things that I thought that Sapphire lacked (namely animated sprites and being able to catch Pokemon not found in the Hoenn 'Dex).

FR/LG: Neither, due to being perfectly and contently busy with Emerald, even though I had planned to get one, and even got the guide book. And unless either appears on my doorstep, or I manage to both do every single starship design that I can think of, and IV train an example of each and every Pokemon there is, as well as IV breed every competitive set there is, or otherwise run out of things to keep me occupied, I get the feeling it just isn't going to happen. Besides, there is no Johto for me to return to!

Gen 4: Diamond
Again, Diamond's box color was blue, so I choose that out of tradition, and I liked Dialga better anyways. It helped that a friend that I made who also played Pokemon decided to choose Pearl. Once again, I liked Platinum even better, due to the Battle Frontier and being able to catch even more Pokemon.

HG/SS: Soul Silver
I was really looking forward to this, as Silver was my very first game, and so I figured why not let history repeat itself? It helped that my friend Patrick chose to get HeartGold. And indeed, Soul Silver was one of the funnest of the series I've ever played. In comparison, White was a bit of a disappointment, but I forced myself to stop playing SoulSilver eventually, seeing as how it was now obsolete, and that was no longer where the competitive battles were.

Gen V: White
I mostly choose White because I liked Zekrom better of the two, and the fact that it just so happened that he was in the White version was even better, because the choice of choosing Black or White could also be seen as a philosophical choice of choosing between dark and light, and I naturally choose the light side.

B2/W2: Neither, and that was a choice that I regret. Pokestar Studios looked fun, and if not for Pokedit, I would have never gotten a Genesect. At the time, I was busy with college, wasn't playing Pokemon very much, and in fact didn't even use the Dream World when it first opened. I don't think I had even beaten the Elite Four at the time B2/W2 came out, so I saw no reason to get either of them, seeing as how I wasn't playing White very much. B2/W2 was the only time in a Generation after Gen II that I didn't get a second version.

Gen 6: Y
I liked Yvetal better, plain and simple. Normally, I'd go for the version with the blue on the box art, but not this time. If they go the B2/W2 route again, I'll probably get X2.

OR/AS: Alpha Sapphire
Once again, a case of allowing history to repeat itself, and what better way to see how the games had changed from the original? Besides, I think Kyogre looks more majestic than the hunched over Groudon, who looks like his back is aching, as opposed to the proud, tall stance of Tyranitar or the predatory stance of Tyrantrum.

This is pretty interesting to read.

My case might be a bit odd, because I played a ton of those games far before I could afford to buy my own one.
I remember getting my friends out of many sticky situations in Red and Blue (when it finally arrived in Germany...) but the best thing was hunting the roaming beasts in Silver for a friend during some great four weeks of holiday.
I enjoyed every version I played because version exclusive details didn´t show up for me that much.

Then came the time I finally bought my own game... years later. What remains to be my personal priority for choosing the version until now is pure aesthetics. I started with HeartGold because of that shiny bright bird giving my heart a bump.
Later on I got a huge bundle of games from Ebay with many Gen 4 games and also some Ranger stuff, where the only reason to buy it was Platinum tbh. I just loved the distortion world story, so that is another aspect for me.

I stayed true with picking fierce looking birds as mascots and got Y. I even got it around release time for the first time ever :)
Now I got OmegaRuby because I like it hot Groudon was very appealing for me, but I regret the decision story wise. Team Magma seems very stiff compared to Team Aqua and the hideouts seem very badly chosen.

So yeah pretty much the only aspects I consider are official art especially the cover art of the version and exclusive story details.

Gen I: Blue
It was the only one I owned at that time so no choice to make there. I eventually got Red and Yellow though.

Gen II: Silver
I think they sold the game around the same time as the Pokemon Movie 2: The Power of One. Since Lugia was so Bad Ass in the movie, I had to choose this. The fact that Ho-oh looks more like a turkey than a phoenix (at least it looks like that to me at that time) doesn't help. I eventually warmed up to Ho-oh though.

Gen III: Sapphire
I thought Kyogre looked cooler than Groudon. Furthermore, it summons Rain. Nobody can say no to rains :)

Gen I-R: FireRed
When the Remakes come, I had Charmander as my starter in mind (since I had used Squirtle and Bulbasaur previously). Since I wanted it to be the same as the mascot, I chose Fire Red

Gen IV: Pearl
Well, my sister wanted to play Diamond so I played Pearl instead. This allows us to trade and make completing the Sinnoh Dex easier.

Gen II-R: HeartGold
It was a gift I got so no choices there.

Gen V: White
I felt Zekrom looks more Bad Ass compared to Reshiram. Come on, black metallic dragon who can spew lightning bolts, who wouldn't want that?

Gen V2: White 2
It's a sequel to White.

Gen VI: X
Xerneas just oozes class and elegance to me. No comparisons there.

Gen III-R: Alpha Sapphire
Kyogre, but with more power? Yes, please!!! (I know Primal Groudon is more dominant in Ubers but I am more of a Kyogre fan myself).

Gen I: Blue. Its been too long, I can't remember why.
Gen II: Silver. Can't remember to well, either, but Lugia was pretty well-liked at the time!
Gen III: Ruby. I think this ended up being more about my friends ^.==.^! My close friend already had Sapphire at the time, or we were both mutually talking and making plans to get the opposite version and help each other out =).
Gen IIIb: Fire Red. Haha, I actually only got this game on this year. I chose Fire Red probably because I like how Red in Pokemon Origins was so intent on completing the Pokedex, so it was easier for me to imagine Red using the same species I used.
Gen IV: Pearl. I remember asking my cousin at a restaurant for the sake of casual chit-chat whether he would prefer to have the power to control time, or to control space. He preferred time, but I preferred space. I loved the idea of being able to morph environments into different textures (land into water, etc), I think that's what space control is, right? Well nowadays, I play fighting games, and that involves controlling space! Yeah!
Gen IVb: Heart Gold. Another close-friend collab! He chose Soul Silver, so I went with Heart Gold.

Gen V: Black. More close-friend collabs. She chose White, so I chose Black. Hopefully I won some social points at college too, because black and gold where there colors ;).
Gen Va: Haven't bought it yet...

And that goes double for anything after that, so I stop here, for now.

Mostly when I 'picked' a version I basically was unfamiliar with what was going to be featured in that particular game, so I went with the looks.

R/B:
I picked Blue, because I thought Blastoise looked more badass than Charizard.

G/S:
I picked Gold, because I had a Ho-Oh Pokémon card and thought it was awesome.

R/S:
I picked Ruby, because I thought Groudon looked cooler than Kyogre.

D/P:
I picked Diamond, because I thought Palkia was ugly.

HG/SS:
I picked Heart Gold, because I knew what both Gold and Silver were like, and I knew I liked Gold better.

B/W:
Didn't really 'pick'. Friend gave it to me because she didn't like it. She gave me White.

B2/W2:
Never played them.

X/Y:
I picked X, because I think Xerneas looks cooler than Yveltal.

OR/AS:
I picked Omega Ruby, because I knew from back in the day I found the Groudon storyline insanely awesome.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I usually pick the colour leaning towards blue. I skipped gen 1, got Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, Black, and X. Same goes for the remakes; SoulSilver and Alpha Sapphire.

Gen 5 was weird cuz neither colour leans to blue and I don't remember why I chose Black. I think it was because of white guilt lol

In regards to a perceived bias on people choosing the "leading version" more, from what I've seen amongst friends and family it's mostly true, and probably the reason I always tended to go with the other version eg:silver, sapphire, soul silver and pearl, white and white 2. Only this gen I switched it up and got X.

Red/Blue

This was before I had internet access, so I didn't even know about the existence of different versions like Blue, Yellow. I got red and just played it!

Gold/Silver

Played Gold (and Crystal) at my friend's house. Never got them for myself though.

Ruby/Sapphire

Groudon looked way more cooler than Kyogre. In hindsight, I also liked Solrock and Zangoose so it turned out to be a great choice for me.

However, I like Kyogre a lot more now, after encountering the power of Choice Specs Water Spout in Ubers!

Fr/Lg

My dad gifted me a fire-red. It worked out well for me, since it had Growlithe, one of my favorite mons of all time.

Diamond/Pearl

Played Platinum directly. Although Pearl would've been my choice for Palkia.

HG/SS

Now this was the first game where I actually made an choice based on exclusives. Growlithe, Donphan, Kyogre swung me to Heart Gold.

B/W

Chose White for Zekrom and White Forest Exclusives. Also like Reuniclus.

B2/W2

Now, I made a huge error here. I was really excited about the new Challenge mode (and got b2 just for this) and I thought that you could just use the key to unlock the harder difficulty in black 2 and restart in challenge mode. It was only after finishing the game, I realized that you need more than 1 ds and cart to actually use it. Shoddy design, which pissed me off. I still curse myself for not researching this properly.

X/Y

Hypothetical, since I don't own them or a 3ds but Yveltal alone swings me towards Y.

Gen 1: Yellow. I was young and discovered Pokemon through the anime, so I skipped Red/Blue.

Gen 2: Silver. My friends got Gold so I wanted to be different.

Gen 3: Emerald, Leafgreen, Sapphire. Emerald was the only one I actually bought, the other two I got when my sister gave up pokemon. Otherwise I might have skipped this generation entirely, this was when pokemon became uncool in school.

Gen 4: Platinum, Heartgold. Skipped Diamond and Pearl due peer pressure, but then the popularity polynomial swung back (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PopularityPolynomial) and I picked up Platinum. Later got Heart gold just because I originally got Silver.

Gen 5: White, White2. Simply because I thought Zekrom and Kyurem-W were cooler looking.

Gen 6: Oh boy. Went with X first because I like Xerneas best but got Y later due to that Nintendo Club freebie. Went with OR, but that was a tough choice (and mainly got it as the opposite of Sapphire, like why I bought Heartgold).

Gen 1: I started with Yellow. At the time I had no idea about Red or Blue
Gen 2: Gold was always my favorite color and I liked how Ho-oh looked
Gen 3: Unfortunately I lost interest in pokemon at this time but the Gen 3 game I did end up playing was Emerald, however this wasn't until after Gen 4 came out
Gen 4: My resurgence into Pokemon games started with my decision to go with Diamond. Dialga looked awesome at the time. As for HGSS I had already decided to get both games because I absolutely loved the Johto region. Plus it was my first attempt at completing the Pokedex.
Gen 5: I chose White because I felt it was underappreciated compared to Black. Naturally this led to me playing White2 which was a smart move because White Kyurem looks amazing
Gen 6. Yveltal looked badass. thats my reason for choosing Y. And I chose Alpha Sapphire simply because all my friends wanted Omega Ruby

Gen 1: Nothing. :D

Gen 2: Nothing again! :D

Gen 3: Did you guess the answer is nothing? :D

Gen 4: I found Pearl for $5 at a garage sale without the box, but I didn't care. I believe that another game was there (Maybe Diamond) but I didn't get it, because Pearl seemed cooler.

Gen 5: My brother got B2 for his birthday, when he stopped playing I asked him if I could restart it and try.

Gen 6: X, because Xerneas seemed cooler than... this bird thing. And Alpha Sapphire because I knew all my friends would be getting Omega Ruby because Groudon was 'better' to them.

Gen 1: Yellow. I was like 5, and it was a Christmas present, so I didn't get to pick.
Gen 2: Silver. Again, didn't get a choice. I only got it because my stepbrother left it behind when he moved away.
Gen 3: FireRed. Emerald, later Ruby. My friends picked LeafGreen and Sapphire, and I wanted to be a special snowflake.
Gen 4: Pearl, SoulSilver. Everyone seemed to be all over Diamond. I had fond memories of Silver, before it lost its save file.
Gen 5: Started with White, transferred everything to Black. Later got Black 2. Black version 1 and 2 has a more aesthetically pleasing color scheme in-game.
Gen 6: Y. OmegaRuby. Everyone was all over X. My younger sister wanted AlphaSapphire, and we bought both versions together the day they released with money we had pooled together.

Ruby/Sapphire - Groudon Was Kickass and would rise again
FireRed/LeafGreen - Had to make up for getting the red dominant game
Diamond/Pearl - I wanted Diamond because it was the first one said in the duo, they ran out.
HeartGold/SoulSilver - Same as above
Black/White - The Yin Yang theme aside, Zekrom is too cool of a pokemon not to have been on the first name box art basis. I chose the obviously superior pokemon.
Black2/White2 - Had to continue my story
X/Y - Clearly there was a mistake as the red game should always be said first.
OmegaRuby/InferiorSapphire - See Ruby/Assfire

Pearl- I got my first game as a gift, and so I was basically forced with Pearl. And I love it.
Heart Gold- Went with my gut hoping it would end up being the better version of the two. I was wrong.
Black- Reshiram looks so much cooler
White 2- Kyurem White looks so much cooler
Y- Yveltal looks so much cooler
X- Already had Y
Omega Ruby- Fire! Red! Groudon!

Reactions: JES

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)