1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

How to train your Magikarp

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Karpi, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Karpi

Karpi

As many of you have learned, Gyarados is a very powerful and useful pokemon. How does one obtain such a pokemon? By evolving a Magikarp, of course!

But none of you do it the right way. You all cheat up the Magikarp's battle experience by switching it in and out of battle, or giving it the Exp Share item.

This makes for a Magikarp with an inferiority complex, which later becomes Gyarados with an aggression problem. The solution is to train your Magikarp like a real man, by making Magikarp fight all its own battles.

This is a tutorial to show you how.

1. Obtain a Magikarp, preferably with the Old Rod, as our lovely assistant Karplie has already done.
    [​IMG]

2. Find a harmless-looking patch of grass.
    [​IMG]
    Proceed to use up all the PP of the move Splash against weak opponents such as Ralts. This allows you to unlock Magikarp's secret technique, known only to the most patient of trainers.
    [​IMG]

3. Discover that Struggle actually does a surprising amount of damage against your opponents.
    [​IMG]

4. Cue training montage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Eventually Magikarp will reach the point where his power is growing so rapidly he must disguise it with more ordinary battle techniques. Take the time to learn Tackle, and then you can finally use pokemon centers again.
    [​IMG]

6. After exhausting all available trainers for battles that Magikarp can reasonably beat (read: not roselia, lotad, shroomish), head to the grass to train for the last level needed to gain ultimate power.
    [​IMG]

7. Watch as your well-trained Magikarp evolves into the terrifying monster of the seas.
    [​IMG]

8. Use Gyarados to utterly destroy the people who caused you torment when you merely had a Magikarp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's it, really. Now that you know the secret to training Magikarp the correct way, I expect everyone to do it from now on.

Bonus: Some "Oh ****" Moments from me doing this:
    [​IMG]
    So close...

[​IMG]
    Just the fact that a Rock/Steel pokemon exists this early in the game...
  2. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

My Magikarp only has half a fin, but I constructed an apparatus to make it my partner in swimming. Hopefully Gyarados will have the same deformity
  3. Blue_Star

Blue_Star
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

4. jumpluff

jumpluff silent all these years
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

it genuinely never occurred to me that you could manually raise a magikarp w/o tackle
  5. Snorlaxe

Snorlaxe 2 kawaii 4 u
    is a Contributor Alumnus

lol the entire time i was reading this thread, this song was just playing over and over in my head
  6. NatGeo

NatGeo sun's coming up
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Is this somehow related to sweeping red with your fish

Lmao

iPhones ftw
  7. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Ok, but how do I do this on PO?
  8. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

honestly this is what i expected the topic to be about

so disappointed :(
  9. Yamata no Orochi

Yamata no Orochi capes are cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, the way I train my Magikarp is very similar to this, but the only difference is that I keep them in the Day Care center and explore Hoenn for a long time.
  10. blarajan

blarajan i was born under the same star as shakeitup
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Leader

11. Darkmalice

Darkmalice Like a facepalm, but better
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I only raise my Magikarps in Platinum. It's too cruel to order it to Struggle against opponents, literally forcing it to give up Health Points every time it tries to fight back. But in Platinum, I can teach it Bounce. I watch my Magikarps joyfully jump around the battlefield like a Spoink, literally crushing any opponent who dare underestimate my Magikarps.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)