How you feel about the Kalos Champion

How do you feel Diantha matches up to her previous counterparts?

• Total voters
only Champion who just doesn't care that the world is dying.

> Blue, you're trying to stop Team Rocket, he try to stop you before face Giovani. Also, what the E4 was doing when Team Rocket take over the pokemon Tower? Besides nothing?

-Nobody Panics-

> Lance, he is the champion because the 2 eleven years old kid that beat the shit of him doesn't want be the champion. Call evil Team Rocket for forcing pokemon to evolve, has 3 underleved Dragonites. After helping you to defeat a group of grunts with level 15 ratattas he totally ignores Golden Rod city being attacked for the Team Rocket. E4 still doesn't give to cents.

-Nobody Panics-

> Steven/Wallace always late. No signs of E4

-Nobody Panics-

> Cynthia, instead of defeating herself Team Galactic, let's you face satan itself and the guy who wants to destroy the freaking world. Actually the only who actually help you is Looker. E4 not even tried.

-No body panics-

> Blue, you're trying to stop Team Rocket, he try to stop you before face Giovani. Also, what the E4 was doing when Team Rocket take over the pokemon Tower? Besides nothing?

-Nobody Panics-

> Lance, he is the champion because the 2 eleven years old kid that beat the shit of him doesn't want be the champion. Call evil Team Rocket for forcing pokemon to evolve, has 3 underleved Dragonites. After helping you to defeat a group of grunts with level 15 ratattas he totally ignores Golden Rod city being attacked for the Team Rocket. E4 still doesn't give to cents.

-Nobody Panics-

-Nobody Panics-

> Cynthia, instead of defeating herself Team Galactic, let's you face satan itself and the guy who wants to destroy the freaking world. Actually the only who actually help you is Looker. E4 not even tried.

-No body panics-
> Alder, instead of creaming N with his lv. 60+ mons, loses.

But Diantha is really bad because she doesn't even appear. At least everyone before her had the decency to at least appear. Also don't diss Blue, he's cool.

I don't think Wallace was a bad a champion. I did think it was strange when I found out, but they did a good job with making him challenging, despite having a mono-Water team imo.

I don't think Wallace was a bad a champion. I did think it was strange when I found out, but they did a good job with making him challenging, despite having a mono-Water team imo.
The problem with Wallace was that there was no real explanation as to why he was the Champion instead of Steven. Also, Steven actually sorta did stuff by giving you things and talking with you from time to time. Wallace... didn't do squat.

> Alder, instead of creaming N with his lv. 60+ mons, loses.

But Diantha is really bad because she doesn't even appear. At least everyone before her had the decency to at least appear. Also don't diss Blue, he's cool.
That is like saiying "At the least the fireman give candy after did nothing for stop the fire".

I like how no one counts N but everyone counts Blue.
That is because N implied that he was not a champion when he said, "As a Trainer who far outmatches the Champion..." instead of calling himself the Champion.

Besides, N would be too amazing for it to be a fair contest. He would get an undisputable first place, while the other champions are on an atleast somewhat level playing field.

after how challenging black/white 2 was, this gen was a real let down in terms of the main story. wayyyy too easy...I struggled in black/white 2 using a weak team as usual for the story, which never happens in pokemon even when you use the worst.
The second game is usually harder, so why do people complain about the first set in a gen being too easy as if the entire gen will, and then the next game ends up kicking their butt a few times? Also, Pokemon was never that hard. 1st gen had minimal strategy to it compared to the current gens.

That is because N implied that he was not a champion when he said, "As a Trainer who far outmatches the Champion..." instead of calling himself the Champion.

Besides, N would be too amazing for it to be a fair contest. He would get an undisputable first place, while the other champions are on an atleast somewhat level playing field.
Remove Blue too, he's too awesome for a contest between champions.

And for most of the game he isn't one...so yeah. I guess we have...Lance in Kanto. lol.

I kind of find it odd how every game past first gen has a designated champion, but not the first gen games.
Actually, the first gen does specify a champion, just not until you beat Lance. After beating Lance, he says that Blue is the Champion, and Blue calls himself the champion.

Just, first gen doesn't have a specified champion until your E4 challenge. It still gets a champion.

This question maybe was answered in-game but why is she the champion??Did she saved Kalos from any sort of catastrophe or helped mankind in some way or another??I just find it really random to put an actress as the Champion of whole freakin' Kalos :P

If you are battling the E4 to grind, you are grinding in the wrong place. Use the 3-star restaurant in Luminose City with triple-battles instead. It's an order of magnitude faster to grind XP, and you'll never have money troubles again.

That important announcement out of the way: Diantha and the whole E4 were the biggest let-down in XY. The pacing of the whole game was way off. They upgraded the XP share but didn't upgrade the challenge to go with it, and the result was that your team is always overpowered at every pinch point.

This problem is compounded by the game handing you a kick-ass team on a plate: Blaziken, Greninja, Venusaur, Tyrantrum without you having to throw a single pokeball, plus Snorlax and Lucario for absolutely minimal investment of effort.

The best champion was clearly Youngster Joey. His rattata was in the top percentage of rattatas, after all.

Last edited:
This question maybe was answered in-game but why is she the champion??Did she saved Kalos from any sort of catastrophe or helped mankind in some way or another??I just find it really random to put an actress as the Champion of whole freakin' Kalos :P
For the same reason any other champion, because they are. You don't need to be a nice person or even care about your pokemon to be called the Champion, look at Blue, he is an dou** who gives to sh**s about other people and doesn't threat his team with love.

Look a Wallace, he is more dandy man, an artist and he does pokemon contest, Steven is a rock maniac who spent his time searching for rare stones, Lance is random guy from Johto or "Dragon tamer" class trainer, Cynthia is a gothic girl who likes myths, plays piano and is shy about hers body or using swimsuits.

Diantha is an actress who doesn't fear to age, she wants to made characters related to her age, she cleary is more dedicate to her career rather to be a Champion, after all everyone reconizes her as "an actress" rather than the champion of the Leage.

I was actually surprised to see that Diantha was the champion because she had so little involvement in the story.

It's like expecting Scott to be the champion in Emerald.
That's probably why they didn't make her do squat. They probably didn't want to have an another Cynthia. However, they could have done so much more with Diantha's character in the Overworld. Such as:
It would of been cool if her picture had been plastered on some of the bill boards in Lumiose, or randomly dotted around Kalos on posters advertising her latest film (Maybe giving a brief mention to Unova's PokéStar Studios too).
Or GF could have made her explain why she didn't help out in Geosenge Town because she decided to provide comfort for the region as an entertainer.
Or We could go with that Malva traps her.

When you face Diantha, she should have a 3D model for the versus screen just like the rivals with a redesign of her with a long dress. Her team feels like they were just showcasing.
Flying Press?
Strong Jaw with Crunch only?
Trick Or Treat?
Really?

I feel like Game Freak should have gone for a Iconic, Popular Movies and/or Pokestar Studios theme.
Gardevoir- Disney Princesses such as Cinderella. Also it could've been for playing The Haunted Kid in Ghost Erasers.
Tyrantrum- The T-Rex from Jurassic Park.
Lucario- Brycen Man Series.
Salamence- Mushu from Mulan who wants to be a full-fledged guardian. Salamence wants to be able to fly.
Durant- The ants in Them!
Milotic- The giant serpent in The Magic Serpent.

First of all, this thread has been the most fun I've had on Smogon in a good while. Gotta thank you all for that!

I noticed that a lot of people complained that Diantha had no personality: I think it's more accurate to say that her implied personality traits are bordering on offensive, but because they are not overtly displayed (or they just did a poor job writing for her), you're left not liking her while not exactly knowing why.

For one, she's kind of a smug eliteist. She's very sure of herself being higher than you, while at the same time not even taking Pokemon battles (her other career) seriously. And remember, she is also the figurehead of Kalos.

For one, she doesn't even disagree with Lysandre on any higher level - moral, intellectual... The man is a Progressive idealist, and really, a page right out of the book of Hitler himself. Add to this the fact that she had a Team Flare member as a coworker or comrade the whole time, but does nothing about it, and you have an affront to justice. Even if the police will not put Malva in prison for conspiracy or accessory to terrorism or crimes against humanity (let's even chalk that up to lazy game design and give her a pass), where is honor? Where is accountability? The figurehead of Kalos has killed the soul of the nation with her moral bankruptcy and refusal to care about much of anything... Except, perhaps, her own career. She is very concerned about her own perception in the public eye, her own beauty, her own reputation. In that way, she reminds me of an American politician or activist Hollywood actress...

But even in that, I give her too much credit. For you see, because she is a work of fiction, she is merely a reflection of the minds who made her. She just encapsulates my fears for the people behind Pokemon (Nintendo, Game Freak, et all): they are confused; they are without direction; they don't know what's going on in the real world, and so their priorities are askew. If anything, money is their compass... and they have captive the minds and imaginations of the youths of the world.

On a related note, professor Sycamore isn't a whole lot better, himself.

And can we have another generation where the protagonist's family isn't a broken one? Absent fathers are enough of a reality in real life... Why fill your fictional world with them? "Where's dad?" I so appreciated Norman in generation 3. As primitive as the scope of that story medium was, Norman made me feel like Hoenn wasn't a world out of control.

Stone RG

Megas are broke

-Nobody Panics-

-Nobody Panics-

-Nobody Panics-

-No body panics-
> Green's personality is all about that, a douchebag who couldnt give 2 flying ducks less about what is happening unrelated to his goal, at least in the games, to contrast with Red's actions which are highlighted at the end of the battle at Indigo Plataeu by Proffesor Oak and is set up for a bit of maturity 3 years later.

> Lance is actually, by strict definition, the one who helped the most with the evil team, since Silver mentions comfronting him at Goldenrod and loosing, as well as beating the shit out of them in their hideout.

> Steven helps up at the Space Center both being and NOT being the champion, and through the story, like Cynthia, gives you leads as to how to deal with Magma/Aqua. Wallace did absolutely nothing, ill give you that.

> Would the protagonist have any clue as t what the fuck is Team Galactic doing and how to deal with Them without Cynthia? In my opinion she helps dozens of times more than she would fighting, tho i have no doubt she wouldve defeated Cyrus handily.

> Not gonna talk about Alder and Iris since i see no mention of them.

The difference between all those champions (bar Wallace) and Diantha is that they help the prota in one way of another, always, even Green, who pushes Red further always. As for the E4, well, im pretty sure if GF wanted, they couldve involved them in a great plot, but this is no Adventures, they are still working on that.

You know what like opinons? That are not facts.

Fact: Either champion in the end of the day did nothing to stop the evil team in turn, because for some BS reason only you, the underaged kid has the powa to stop the evil/Plot thing ever. I mean in gen 1 Team Rocket captured Saffron City, either Sabrina, Karate master and the E4 DID NOTHING to stop them.

Fact: fans over react about something that intentaniolly has no porpouse of the story AT ALL.

Fact: The only reason that games has a Champion and elite 4 post Gen 1 is for tradition rather than anything else.

Fact: XY is the first games when people actually gives 2 cents about YOU as player being the champion, the people in the main city talk about you AS THE CHAMPION, the REAL DEAL. That's the reason to give 0 delop to Diantha, like they give Steven, Wallace or even Lance. Because Lance character is "being cool and had a cape." or "The guy with 3 dragonities".

Fact: every single gen people say "This Champion Sux"

Fact: Lance, indeed is the worst champion ever, is not an opinion his team has no variaty, has under leveled pokemon, is the champion with the lowest level EVEN IN REMATCH, because you can Re-fight Diantha in Battle Chateu at level 60, 70 and 80 depending what "Wrist" you use and she change some moves and abilities between levels. Not mention that he is the champion because 2 underaged kids doesn't want to be the champions anymore.

Fact: GF does something diferent > Hate it > GF tries something diferent to prevent the blackflash > You hate it because they remove "that thing" that you "hated" before. > GF tries again > Hate it > etc.

I don't think Diantha is the best champion, but Steven and her has the same delop, they appaer randomly and they are the champions, the only difference is that was Sycamore who told Diantha "You must come to the city, to met the new champion".

And happens to be Steven my Favourite champion, but Cynthia is the best champion in terms of team and raw power. And yeah, everyone is better than Lance.

You know what like opinons? That are not facts.

Fact: Either champion in the end of the day did nothing to stop the evil team in turn, because for some BS reason only you, the underaged kid has the powa to stop the evil/Plot thing ever. I mean in gen 1 Team Rocket captured Saffron City, either Sabrina, Karate master and the E4 DID NOTHING to stop them.

Fact: fans over react about something that intentaniolly has no porpouse of the story AT ALL.

Fact: The only reason that games has a Champion and elite 4 post Gen 1 is for tradition rather than anything else.

Fact: XY is the first games when people actually gives 2 cents about YOU as player being the champion, the people in the main city talk about you AS THE CHAMPION, the REAL DEAL. That's the reason to give 0 delop to Diantha, like they give Steven, Wallace or even Lance. Because Lance character is "being cool and had a cape." or "The guy with 3 dragonities".

Fact: Lance, indeed is the worst champion ever, is not an opinion his team has no variaty, has under leveled pokemon, is the champion with the lowest level EVEN IN REMATCH, because you can Re-fight Diantha in Battle Chateu at level 60, 70 and 80 depending what "Wrist" you use and she change some moves and abilities between levels. Not mention that he is the champion because 2 underaged kids doesn't want to be the champions anymore.

Fact: GF does something diferent > Hate it > GF tries something diferent to prevent the blackflash > You hate it because they remove "that thing" that you "hated" before. > GF tries again > Hate it > etc.

I don't think Diantha is the best champion, but Steven and her has the same delop, they appaer randomly and they are the champions, the only difference is that was Sycamore who told Diantha "You must come to the city, to met the new champion".

And happens to be Steven my Favourite champion, but Cynthia is the best champion in terms of team and raw power. And yeah, everyone is better than Lance.
I don't quite agree with a lot of what you said, here.

Just as one example, attepting to strawman all of us by saying, "well, every gen everyone hates what Game Freak did with the champion." Excuse me? First of all, it's not fair too speak for everyone's feelings. Secondly, I distinctly remember thinking that Lance, Steven, Alder, Iris, and Cynthia were the coolest thing since sliced bread when I first fought them.

Etc.

"well, every gen everyone hates what Game Freak did with the champion."

Where I said that?

People: Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers; for simple definition calling a group of person "People" doesn't turn it into the mayority or speaking for you.

A simple example, I'm Mexican, from the province/stated named Tabasco, the average height here is "163 cm" . If somoene says: "The regular heigh on Tabasco is 163 cm" and just because my height (195, cm) doesn't fit that avarege height doesn't make it wrong and of course that doesn't prove that is a lie or wrong.

Secondly, I distinctly remember thinking that Lance, Steven, Alder, Iris, and Cynthia were the coolest thing since sliced bread when I first fought them.
And this is know as OPINION. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Call something cooler, nice or better giving not real facts, is an opinion and is nothing wrong with it. But I have to remember you that for the average old pokemon player (me included) Charizard was the most amaizing thing ever, even being a fan favourite and overrated pokemon doesn't chaged the fact that he sucked. People strictle remember how "temible" Miltank was... but really was not big deal at all once you understand the gameplay mechanics.

Hey even a lot of people (me included) love Yamcha from DBZ and they believes that he is cooler than other characters, but that doesn't change the fact that he sucked as fighter compared with other characters from the show.

"well, every gen everyone hates what Game Freak did with the champion."

Where I said that?
Try actually reading what you write. Your spelling and grammar alone is worth throwing out your "facts". But just while I'm here, let's look at your other "facts".

That's funny, I distinctly remember being mobbed by fans in the trainer fan club in Emerald. In fact, I remember not being allowed in certain places until I became the champion as early as Yellow. It's almost as if you pulled that fact out of your backside.

What do the words "intentaniolly" and "porpouse" mean? Use your spell checker.

And what are you talking about? The Gyms/ Elite Four/ Champion challenge are a HUGE part of the story. They even went as far as to hijack it in B/W. If something that pretty much drives your progression through the story and marks the "endgame" isn't part of the main story, then what is?

And this is know as OPINION. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Call something cooler, nice or better giving not real facts, is an opinion and is nothing wrong with it. But I have to remember you that for the average old pokemon player (me included) Charizard was the most amaizing thing ever, even being a fan favourite and overrated pokemon doesn't chaged the fact that he sucked. People strictle remember how "temible" Miltank was... but really was not big deal at all once you understand the gameplay mechanics.
So their opinions are just opinions, but your opinions are fact. Seems legit.

Except for all of the times that champions did intervene, as noted earlier this page. You chose to ignore all of those examples and whine "IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH" at the top of your lungs though, so it's not surprising you forgot.

Also, what the hell is "powa"? There's no way you can possibly be over 13, let alone 26, if you can't spell even simple words correctly.

Last edited:
Intentionally I use "Powa" instead of power, in spanish "Powa" sound similar to "Power", like instead of "awesome" usually we said "Osom". I admit is a dumb mistake. Is cleary my fault due the lenguage barrier

People =/= everyone. Once again you can call people a group of human beings and that doesn't mean "Everyone".

I didn't mention anything about BW/BW2 simple because those games had that theme, between 2 (or more) viewpoints/ideals, because that you cannot have simple bland bosses/Gym leaders than before, because those games were story driven games.

XY in other hand, made everything more simplistic because they want to bring back players who stopped played pokemon since Gen 1-3, I not approve Diantha being so simple either, but she have a totally different role than Adler, Iris, Steven, etc. She is just bland, not terrible, just bland , but is not a bad champion (in term of team or challange), just meh. In fact could be an excellent move Lysandre being the real champion and Diantha being the post game boss.

That's funny, I distinctly remember being mobbed by fans in the trainer fan club in Emerald. In fact, I remember not being allowed in certain places until I became the champion as early as Yellow. It's almost as if you pulled that fact out of your backside.

Enter on mewtwo's cave that is the only place that you don't have access until you beat Green, the trainer club you need to talk them to start the chain. What I talking about is random NPC even can reconize you as the champion , they even mention most of their clients just buy something to have a chance to met "The champion", we the players. On gen 2 feels odd how everyone on Kanto believes that you're just a whimp and nobody reconize you as the champion.

I that is the reason to make Diantha less interesting, nobody care about her being the champion and you as the new one become a symbol for the people of Kalos. In that aspect she does her role, right, but cleary could be executed a lot better.

Intentionally I use "Powa" instead of power, in spanish "Powa" sound similar to "Power", like instead of "awesome" usually we said "Osom". I admit is a dumb mistake. Is cleary my fault due the lenguage barrier
If you don't know how to speak English, then you shouldn't be here.

People =/= everyone. Once again you can call people a group of human beings and that doesn't mean "Everyone".
A generalization is a generalization. You meant everyone, and most people who read your post thought you meant everyone. Once again, learn the language.

I didn't mention anything about BW/BW2 simple because those games had that theme, between 2 (or more) viewpoints/ideals, because that you cannot have simple bland bosses/Gym leaders than before, because those games were story driven games.
So in other words, "WAAAAH IT DOESN'T COOOUNT". I provided a clear counter-example, but apparently that doesn't matter because "that was the theme of the game".

XY in other hand, made everything more simplistic because they want to bring back players who stopped played pokemon since Gen 1-3, I not approve Diantha being so simple either, but she have a totally different role than Adler, Iris, Steven, etc. She is just bland, not terrible, just bland , but is not a bad champion (in term of team or challange), just meh. In fact could be an excellent move Lysandre being the real champion and Diantha being the post game boss.
And in gens 1-3, the gym leader challenge was a major part of the plot. You just said it didn't matter because the elite four wasn't a major part of the plot. Which one is it?

Enter on mewtwo's cave that is the only place that you don't have access until you beat Green, the trainer club you need to talk them to start the chain. What I talking about is random NPC even can reconize you as the champion , they even mention most of their clients just buy something to have a chance to met "The champion", we the players. On gen 2 feels odd how everyone on Kanto believes that you're just a whimp and nobody reconize you as the champion.
1: I had to read this three times to get what you were saying. If you don't know how to speak English, get out.

2: Once again "WAAAAH IT'S NOT ENOUGH EVEN THOUGH IT PROVES ME WROOOONG". You said that no other game cared that you were the champion. I proved you wrong, stop moving the goal posts.

3: That's because, in Kanto, you are a wimp.You yourself admitted Lance was a wimp; so by your own logic, being the champion doesn't mean anything. Meanwhile, Kanto was home to a legendary trainer with very overleved Pokemon, so why should they be impressed by you?

4: And most of the normal dialogue doesn't change in X/Y either. Shopkeepers don't care that you're the champion, and you still have to get style points for people to care who you are in Lumoise. Very few NPCs care, so that's not an excuse.

I that is the reason to make Diantha less interesting, nobody care about her being the champion and you as the new one become a symbol for the people of Kalos. In that aspect she does her role, right, but cleary could be executed a lot better.
So you admit that every other champion did more then her, and that Diantha is uninteresting.

Last edited:
A generalization is a generalization. You meant everyone, and most people who read your post thought you meant everyone. Once again, learn the language.

Just for the records, please tell me how I should call a group of human beings (since People is a horrible generalization that totally destroy anything that I said.) that doesn't represent the 100% of the total demographic?

Because, if the last time that I checked people means this:

peo·ple(p
p
l)
n. pl. people
Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers: People were dancing in the street. I met all sorts of people.
2. A body of persons living in the same country under one national government; a nationality.
3. pl. peo·ples A body of persons sharing a common religion, culture, language, or inherited condition of life.
4. Persons with regard to their residence, class, profession, or group: city people.
5. The mass of ordinary persons; the populace. Used with the: "those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes" (Thomas Jefferson).
6. The citizens of a political unit, such as a nation or state; the electorate. Used with the.
7. Persons subordinate to or loyal to a ruler, superior, or employer: The queen showed great compassion for her people.
8. Family, relatives, or ancestors.
9. Informal Animals or other beings distinct from humans: Rabbits and squirrels are the furry little people of the woods.

I need to learn grammar, that is a fact, but Please, how in the world using the word "People = everyone".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)