1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

HP bar colours

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Cathy, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Cathy

Cathy

Hi,

As of an hour ago, we've implemented coloured HP bars in Pokemon Showdown. This thread is to inform everybody of a relevant game mechanic that has some relevance to competitive play in Gen 5.

Marty researched the Gen 5 HP bar behaviour and discovered that, in Gen 5, the colour of the HP bar actually gives additional information over and above the number of pixels in the HP bar in some cases. Specifically, the colour of the HP bar is determined as follows: it is green if the pokemon's health is > 50%, yellow if the pokemon's health is <= 50% but > 20%, and red if the pokemon's health is <= 20%.

As a consequence of this:
    • an HP bar with exactly 9 pixels can be either yellow (if the pokemon's health is > 20%) or red (if the pokemon's health is <= 20%); and
    • an HP bar with exactly 24 pixels can be either green (if the pokemon's health is > 50%) or yellow (if the pokemon's health is exactly 50%)

In other words, when the opponent pokemon's HP bar has exactly 9 pixels or exactly 24 pixels, the colour of the HP bar conveys some additional information.

These mechanics are correctly implemented on Pokemon Showdown now and are live on the main server. I'm posting this thread because people are unlikely to be aware of these mechanics otherwise, as they are rather obscure. Credit goes to Marty for the research.
  2. Fuzzycuffs

Fuzzycuffs

I like them! They're sparkley!
  3. StarmanXL

StarmanXL

A simple but helpful change.
  4. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

colors*

You're asking for it...
  5. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

This is so cool ♪

Good job
  6. Queen of Randoms

Queen of Randoms I'm So Crown
    is a Battle Server Moderator

7. Exclamation!

Exclamation!

Very nice change, thank you very much.
  8. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

OHKOs hurt my eyes. The colors change quickly one after another.

Also, the yellow is very close to the white.
  9. Raichoice

Raichoice

I like the change a lot
    Thanks for putting it in
  10. ScraftyIsTheBest

ScraftyIsTheBest GHOSTS
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

It was so fucking cool. Good job implementing it :)
  11. Spirit

Spirit
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

This really is amazing. Awesome job Cathy.
  12. Zackattackk2

Zackattackk2

I really like it, it just seems better in general with it
  13. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name

Non-American spelling.

Anyway, a nice little change. Just asthetic, but, like in-game, pretty cool.
  14. Joim

Joim Navigate the pitfalls, cross the great divide!
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The pun is that Smogon uses american spelling.
    I like the HP bars, it makes sense for the colors to change as in any RPG, also more cartridge-accurate which is good.
  15. Ayepae

Ayepae

hmm interesting change, surprised me a bit the first time i saw it, thought my comp was acting up heh
  16. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It's actually not a solely aesthetic change, which is explained by Cathy's post at the top of the thread. :) The HP bar colour is governed by a nifty mechanic which can give you additional information on the enemy Pokémon in certain situations. It does look very cool, though~

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)