[HTMLized] Prediction (Advance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Current Article
The Basics of Prediction

Prediction is that crazy thing that all of those veterans talk about. I'm sure you've all heard one of the following things in some variation or another:
  • "Slaking requires a lot of prediction to use."
  • "If you know how to predict you can easily beat it."
  • "lol learn to predict you noob."
However, what does it actually mean? What is actually prediction? Well, to tell you the truth, it's quite simple. You've done a lot of prediction in your battles already, you just don't know it. Basic prediction is basically common sense when playing online. Take this example:
Kaleido Star vs PkmnMaster Toes. Begin!
Kaleido Star sent out Yuuri (Lv.100 Salamence)!
PkmnMaster Toes sent out Starmie (Lv.100 Starmie)!
Yuuri's Intimidate cuts Starmie's Attack!

Begin Turn #1

Kaleido Star withdrew Yuuri!
Kaleido Star sent out Layla (Lv.100 Blissey)!
---------------------------------
Starmie used Thunder!
(101 damage)
Layla is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Layla's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #1
Kaleido Star's Layla: 644 HP (Par)
PkmnMaster Toes's Starmie: 100% HP Any player should know that leaving Salamence in against a Starmie, which is faster and cannot be killed in one hit, is death. Starmie normally carries Ice Beam which would take my Salamence down in one hit. I switched to Blissey, my special absorber, to take the Ice Beam. However, my opponent had guessed that I was going to switch to a Water type, although I don't know why, and predicted with a Thunder attack. No sane person would leave in Salamence against a Starmie, so he predicted that I would bring in something, most likely a water type, to take the assume Ice Beam. Common sense is prediction.

You're not going to leave that Swampert in against a Sceptile, are you? No, of course not. It's common sense to switch it out. That's predicting that the Sceptile will use Leaf Blade. This is a form of very basic prediction.

Alright, now it's time to step it up a notch. This is what will separate a good player from a mediocre one if the teams were identical. Common sense is good, but it'll only get you so far, and more experienced players will steamroll you with all kinds of predictions. Take this example, for instance:
Begin Turn #10
Mia used Megahorn!
(50% damage)
It's super effective!
Cradily fainted!
War Archangel sent out Blaziken (Lv.100 Blaziken)!
Mia is hurt by poison!
End of turn #10
War Archangel's Blaziken: 100% HP
Kaleido Star's Mia: 194 HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #11
Kaleido Star withdrew Mia!
Kaleido Star sent out Yuuri (Lv.100 Salamence)!
Yuuri's Intimidate cuts Blaziken's Attack!
Blaziken used Blaze Kick!
(84 damage)
It's not very effective...
Yuuri's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #11
War Archangel's Blaziken: 100% HP
Kaleido Star's Yuuri: 268 HP It was obvious that Blaziken was going to do something to Heracross, attempting to kill it. Blaziken nearly always uses Fire or Fighting moves, and Salamence resists both. I switch it in and hurt Blaziken with Intimidate and take a weak Blaze Kick.

These types of predictions, shown above, most likely wont win you games right there, however. These next batches are risky enough to be game winners, but when there's a risk you can fail. Take this example:

My Salamence is at around 50% HP, and my opponent has Heracross in, which is of the Endure/Reversal variety. He has just finished off my Snorlax, but wants his Salac activation. Salamence is definitely going to use a Flying move and kill the Heracross, right?
  • Heracross used Endure.
  • Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Even if Endure works the next turn, Salamence will still be faster than a Salac boosted Heracross. I proceeded to sweep, and have done this exact situation many times. What if Heracross has used Hidden Power Rock or Rock Slide? There was a risk involved, but I knew he wanted to sweep my time with Salac/Reversal. I predicted his Endure and in turn swept the rest of his team.

The final stage is Prediction Wars. You're an experienced veteran playing another experienced player and both of you predict well. Do you predict their prediction to beat them? Do you not switch at all? These types of games are very intense, and there is only one person that I play that continually leads to these matches, and that is Dweedle in RBY. Unfortunately I deleted all of those logs a few months ago, but it is basically 100% prediction the entire game.

These games often include such insanities on my part as switching in Rhydon to take a Starmie Thunderbolt, and then switching in Jynx to take a Blizzard so that I can sleep something without taking two hits. After doing it once, Dweedle might be ready, but do I predict that he'll try to predict me? It gets insane after a while.

The more you play the more you should be able to predict. If chaos has switched his Tyraniboah into to face my Blissey once, why wouldn't he do it again? I bring out my Blissey to take a special attack and then immediately switch to Dugtrio. I simply adore this combo of luring something and then bringing in Dugtrio.

Though many of you thought chaos' Pokecommunity account "Pokémon is Chess" funny and ridiculous, it's not. Chess is a game where you basically make your moves off of what your opponent does, and your opponent's plan. I do this about 50% of the time when I play Pokémon. If you know what your opponent is going to do, you're going to brutalize him. You notice your opponent always loves try and trap your Blissey with Dugtrio? Show him Salamence next time he brings it in and give yourself a free turn. Prediction. Prediction. Prediction.

This is probably the one reason why I seem to win when I make crappy teams. No matter how bad the team really is, with things like Beedrill and Blastoise, I still get a good number of wins, like 70%. I still predict like I normally do every game. Prediction is key in Pokémon.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
- The formatting is off in this post - can you fix it?
- This is a fairly short article. Is it even good enough as is to be considered for rewrite/corrections? I'll read it after the formatting is fixed.

Though many of you thought chaos' Pokecommunity account "Pokémon is Chess" funny and ridiculous, it's not. Chess is a game where you basically make your moves off of what your opponent does, and your opponent's plan. I do this about 50% of the time when I play Pokémon. If you know what your opponent is going to do, you're going to brutalize him. You notice your opponent always loves try and trap your Blissey with Dugtrio? Show him Salamence next time he brings it in and give yourself a free turn. Prediction. Prediction. Prediction.
I don't know if mentioning my accounts is appropriate in an article

However, my opponent had guessed that I was going to switch to a Water type, although I don't know why,
the bolded segment can probably be changed to something along the lines of ", perhaps thinking so since it scores 1x damage on salamence in case I don't decide to switch and nails a likely water switch-in, since those are resistant to ice-type attacks", for another example of prediction?? with proper verbosity tonedowns ofcourse.

* Heracross used Endure.
* Salamence used Dragon Dance.
make style consistent by rewriting in an NB-log style format.

you're going to brutalize him
brutalize is perhaps the wrong term. it means "To make brutal; beasty; unfeeling; or inhuman." or "To become brutal, inhuman, barbarous, or coarse and beasty.".

good guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)