Huntail

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: Tone114 / Raiza / GrimoireGod
GP: Antemortem / snobalt

[OVERVIEW]

Huntail has a decent boosting move in Coil, which makes it a decent Baton Passer. However, with the Shell Smash + Baton Pass combination banned, it cannot pass Shell Smash boosts to another Pokemon, so it relies on using Baton Pass to pass Coil boosts to its teammates. Although it's naturally bulkier, Huntail also faces competition with Bulk Up + Baton Pass Floatzel, which has access to Taunt and is faster than Huntail. It also faces competition from Barbaracle and Carracosta as a Shell Smash sweeper, as Barbaracle has Tough Claws and better Speed, while Carracosta has better bulk and Solid Rock. Huntail's low base 52 Speed limits its ability to be a Baton Passer, as it makes it vulnerable to Taunt and prone to being outsped by common Water-types, such as Poliwrath and Simipour.

[SET]
name: Coil Pass
move 1: Coil
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Veil
nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
============

Coil gives Huntail boosts in Attack and Defense, making it able to take physical hits while Baton Passing to a teammate. Waterfall deals decent damage after a boost and saves Huntail from being complete fodder for Taunt and phazing. Substitute can block status ailments as well as let Huntail setup with Coil and safely Baton Pass to a teammate. It also stops Poliwrath from phazing Huntail with Circle Throw. Baton Pass transfers Huntail's stat boosts to a teammate, which then threatens to sweep the opponent's team.

Set Details
==========

The EVs maximize Huntail's Defense so that it can set up easier. An Impish nature maximizes Huntail's Defense so that it can it tank physical hits more easily. Leftovers gives passive recovery to Huntail, which is the only recovery option Huntail has. Water Veil makes Huntail immune to burns, which is useful when it's attacking. Huntail can also switch into Scald without risking a burn and can setup on bulky Water-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
==========

Set up with Coil and attempt to Baton Pass, either to pass Huntail's boosts or gain momentum. Stat boosts should be passed while Huntail is behind a Substitute so that its teammate does not take much damage. Only attack if forced to, as otherwise, setting up with Coil, Substitute and using Baton Pass is the best option because Huntail won't do much much damage against foes without some Coil boosts. Be wary of Taunt users and do not attempt to set up in front of them. Huntail should avoid setting up against specially offensive Pokemon due to its poor special bulk, such as Zebstrika, Roselia, Simipour, and Raichu. Huntail should also avoid setting up in front of strong Pokemon such as Piloswine, Stoutland, and Pawniard. Huntail should set up in front of Pokemon that have moves that it resists, such as Pelipper and defensive Carracosta. There is no guarantee that Huntail can setup Coil and then Baton Pass. Sometimes Huntail can be used to take an attack it resists and Baton Pass to a teammate to bring it in safely.

Team Options
==========

Fire-types such as Ninetales, Monferno, and Rapidash are great partners, as they can deal with Grass-types, which Huntail hates. Huntail can also Baton Pass the boosted stats to the latter two, making them dangerous threats to the opposing team. Electric-types such as Zebstrika are also great partners to Huntail because they can deal with Poliwrath, and Zebstrika can also use Overheat to dispose of Grass-types. Stoutland, Sawsbuck, and Poliwrath appreciate being Baton Passed Coil Boosts, making them dangerous threats to the opposing team, especially considering that they already have decent bulk themselves. Golem, Piloswine, and Torterra are good partners, as they are immune to Electric-type attacks and can support Huntail with Stealth Rock. Roselia is a great partner to Huntail as well because it can check both Grass- and Electic-types while setting Spikes to aid Huntail's sweep. Jumpluff appreciates the Coil boost and can beat Grass-types. Huntail appreciates dual screens and Memento support, so Meowstic-M and Jumpluff are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Huntail can be a Shell Smash sweeper, but it is outclassed by Barbaracle and Carracosta, both of which have better coverage. An offensive Coil set can be used with Sucker Punch, Waterfall, and Ice Fang, but it's outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle as well because Carracosta and Barbaracle can have an easier time setting up. Aqua Ring can be Baton Passed to a teammate to grant it recovery, but Huntail has no room for that move.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Phazers**: Phazers such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, and Grumpig stop Huntail from setting up. The former can inflict damage with Circle Throw as well while resisting both of Huntail's STAB moves.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Grumpig and Simipour can stop Huntail from setting up and render it useless.

**Grass- and Electric-types**: Huntail has a tough time breaking through Grass- and Electric- types, such as Zebstrika, Gourgeist of all sizes, Roselia, and Sawsbuck and risks getting KOed by their STAB moves, which can prevent Huntail from doing its job as a Baton Passer.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Simipour and Barbaracle take little damage from Huntail's STAB moves and can attack Huntail with their coverage move or use Huntail as setup fodder, making setup difficult for Huntail.

**Kadabra**: Kadabra can use Encore make Huntail use Coil repeatedly and can 2HKO it with Psychic.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I recall correctly, the main set for Huntail is Coil Pass, as it isn't an amazing Shell Smash Sweeper when put up against Barbaracle or Carracosta, bar Sucker Punch. Coil Pass gives it a small niche, whereas it would be mostly outclassed. You can ask some QC members about the set (if they can actually come to a consensus this time).

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm thinking that would actually be better than smash. I'll put smash in OO while putting coil pass as main set.

feen

control
Ready for QC. As for the main set, I'm unsure about the EVs and I don't think Shell Smash deserves an individual set because it's highly outclassed. I've been thinking of a rain sweeper set as well but it's outclassed by Golduck and Poliwrath. Should I add that in OO?

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
The EVs are Max Defense and HP I'm pretty sure, just wait for the QC team to weigh in about Shell Smash.

feen

control
Max SpD and Max HP lets it live a tbolt from Zebra, and Coil boosts its Defense anyways, anyways yeah I'm gonna wait for QC team.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Arifeen

Huntail is (now) e-rank in viability rankings so the overview should be redone to reflect that; ie mention that it is outclassed, what by and why. Also certain things that you say make me think your PU knowledge is shaky, for example, flareon do not run willowisp (dusk often wont either), the majority of missy run taunt which means you cant set up on them, and PU banned smash pass long before the new BP clause.

feen

control
I know they banned smash pass beforehand. But that seemed irrelevant since the new clause came to be. And yes, I did ladder in PU for a while but idk the tier entirely. I'll fix this up. Thanks

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
way way way too positive. Huntail sucks and this makes it seem way to good. emphasize how poorly it performs
"Huntail has one of the best boosting moves in the game in Coil and Shell Smash, making it a versatile sweeper." that's two moves, it isn't used as a sweeper but as a BP user, and it isn't too versatile
Setting up on wisp isn't anywhere near important enough to mention here, especially since those mons shouldnt use wisp versus and huntail anyway. Delete that whole bullet. Flareon also doesnt run wisp
"Huntail is not able to outspeed common Choice Scarf users such as, Sawsbuck, Simipour, Dodrio and Mr. Mime even after a Shell Smash, and is prone to being revenge killed." It's coil now, delete this
Mention how it's totally outclassed by BU+BP Floatzel

Set Details
Beef this up
Mention its nature
Mention water veil

Usage Tips
Emphasize how Huntail should be baton passing more than attacking, especially with the defensive EVs
The bottom three bullet points are either talking about wisp users which all beat it/dont run wisp or talk about smash. Change this to reflect the new set. Talk about what it can set up on (weaker special attackers like Pelipper or something), when it should baton pass, what to keep it away from, etc

Team options
I feel like there could be more TO stuff to mention, but this is all extremely basic and could at least be expanded on even if there isn't more stuff
At least mention screens/memento support from meowstic or jumpluff

Other options
You don't need two bullets for smash, make one and talk about how it's a mixed smash set. Also say what it runs (smash, sucker, waterfall, ice beam)

Sorry about formatting, something weird popped up or somth

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll come back and check this later, but personally, I feel like special defensive Huntail is bad as even though you live a Thunderbolt from Zebstrika and Raichu, you shouldn't be trying to set up on them at all. So run max HP max Defense and Impish nature on Huntail and replace Sucker Punch with Substitute. Also give examples or Pokemon Huntail can set up on (it can set up on defensive varients of Carracosta as well).

feen

control
I'll come back and check this later, but personally, I feel like special defensive Huntail is bad as even though you live a Thunderbolt from Zebstrika and Raichu, you shouldn't be trying to set up on them at all. So run max HP max Defense and Impish nature on Huntail and replace Sucker Punch with Substitute. Also give examples or Pokemon Huntail can set up on (it can set up on defensive varients of Carracosta as well).
Implemented. Thanks!

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the Overview, mention that Huntail's low Speed compared to other Water-types in the tier such as Simipour and Poliwrath limits its to being a Baton Pass user. Also when you talk about competition from Bulk Up + Baton Pass Floatzel, mention that Floatzel is faster, but also say that Huntail has more bulk than Floatzel. In Moves, Sucker Punch shouldn't be on the main set as Substitute is too important to give up as it makes it easier for Huntail to set up Coil. In Usage Tips, mention that is should avoid setting up against Pokemon it can't handle such as faster Electric-types. You can also mention that it isn't a guarantee that Huntail will be able to set up Coil and that you can use Huntail to take an attack that it resists and then proceed to Baton Pass to bring a teammate in safely. Also, when you say that Huntail should only attack when it needs to, mention that it should use Waterfall against Pokemon that are weak to it and it's primary objective is to set up Coil or Substitute as the foe switches out. Also Huntail doesn't have poor attack, Base 104 is pretty good, just say it won't do much much damage against some foes without some Coil boosts. In Other Options, mention an offensive Coil set with Coil, Waterfall, Ice Fang, Sucker Punch and mention that it is outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle as well and it can't get past bulky-Water types such as Poliwrath. I guess you can mention something like Aqua Ring to Baton Pass along with Coil boosts (just trying to beef up Other Options with this). For Checks and Counters, I'd also make a mention of Encore users such as Kadabra as it force Huntail into using Coil and then 2HKO it with Psychic.
1/3.

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[OVERVIEW]
don't hype coil too much, it isn't that great after all
talk more about how huntail is outclassed as a non-baton passer(mention it is outclassed by costa and barbaracle as a shell smash sweeper)
mention that its low speed makes it vulnerable to taunt
mention the lack of a speed boosting move along a mono water-typing make it hard for huntail to succesfully pass boosts or set up at all

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
============
mention that coil's main purpose is not making huntail hit hard, it is on the set with the purpose of being baton passed to teammates

Set Details
==========
''Leftovers give residual damage to Huntail, which is the only recovery Huntail has.'' you meant Leftovers give passive recovery right?

Usage Tips
==========
mention huntail should avoid setting up on special attackers in general
mention huntail has to be weary about taunt users
mention baton pass can be used to also gain momentum
mention boosts should be preferably passed along with a sub to prevent the recipient from taking much damage

Team Options
==========
mention entry hazard support
mention ground-types for electric-types
mention an actually fast recipient

Checks and Counters
=============
add grumpig in phasers
mention roselia when you talk about grass-types
add water-types

Arifeen QC 2/3

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
''However, with the Shell Smash + Baton Pass banned, it cannot pass its boosted stats to another Pokemon''. You should rephrase this because while I know what you mean, what you say here isn't really true.
Say what Huntail has over Floatzel (more of a bulky passer instead of a fast and frail one, and passes accuracy as well).

Moves
============
Say that Waterfall prevents Huntail from being complete Taunt / phazing fodder.
Say that Sub also prevents defensive Poliwrath from phazing you out with Circle Throw, and Lickilicky with Dragon Tail.

Set Details
==========
Also say that Water Veil makes Huntail able to switch into stray Scalds from stuff like (again) defensive Poliwrath and set up on it without fear for a burn.

Usage Tips
==========
Make clear that Huntail does not always have to be behind a sub if the receiver can get a decently safe switch in anyway.
Say specifically why Huntail should not attempt to set up against specially offensive Pokemon (not so great special bulk).
Also say that you should avoid setting up in front of strong pokemon in general, and that you can also set up against only decently strong Pokemon such as Piloswine)

Other Options
===========
Also say that costa and barb have an easier time setting up.

Checks and Counters
=============
You set up on Poliwrath, don't list it as a counter / check lol.
Give examples of Taunt users (Grumpig, Simipour).
Also say that Grass- and Electric-types prevent Huntail from doing its job as a passer instead of just saying they threaten it with super effective STABs.
Barbaracle doesn't resist Water. Also say Water-types like the ones you listed can use it as setup fodder.

3/3 after you've done this.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
[OVERVIEW]

Huntail has a decent boosting move in Coil, which makes it a decent Baton Passer. However, with the Shell Smash + Baton Pass combination banned, it cannot pass with Shell Smash boosts to another Pokemon, which stops its main usage nullifies its original niche, and therefore so it relies on Coil to Baton Pass to its teammates. Although naturally bulkier, Huntail also faces competition with in Bulk Up + Baton Pass Floatzel, which has access to Taunt and (removed comma, added "and") is faster than Huntail, but Huntail has better bulk. It also faces competition from Barbaracle and Carracosta as a Shell Smash sweeper, as Barbaracle has Tough Claws as an ability and a better Speed, while Carracosta has better bulk and the ability Solid Rock. Huntail's low base 55 Speed stat of 55 limits its ability to be a Baton Passer, as it makes it vulnerable to Taunt and prone to being outsped and outclassed by Poliwrath and Simipour. Poliwrath and Simipour outspeeds and outclasses Huntail because of its low speed.

[SET]
move1: Coil
move2: Waterfall
move3: Baton Pass
move4: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
============

Coil gives Huntail a boost in Attack and Defense, making it able to take physical hits while Baton Passing to a teammate. Waterfall is the primary STAB which deals decent damage after a boost and it saves Huntail from being a complete fodder for Taunt and phazing fodder. Substitute can be used to block status ailments as well as let Huntail set up with Coil and give a safely Baton Pass to its teammate, giving Huntail an easy time to setup with Coil. It also stops Poliwrath from phazing it Huntail with Circle Throw. Baton Pass is used to transfers its stat boosts to its a teammates, which then threatens to sweep the opponent's team.

Set Details
==========

The EVs maximize Huntail's Defense making it able to so it can setup easier. Impish nature maximises maximizes Huntail's Defense, making it so it can tank physical hits more easily. Leftovers give passive recovery to Huntail, which is the only recovery option Huntail has. Water Veil makes Huntail immune to burns, which is useful when it's attacking. Huntail can also switch into Scald without risking the burn, and can setup on bulky Water-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
==========

Set up with Coil,(RC) and attempt to Baton Pass, either to pass its boosts of or gain momentum. It is recommended Stat boosts should be passed while Huntail is behind a Substitute so that its teammate does not take much damage. Only attack if forced to, otherwise,(RC) setting up with Coil, Substitute and using Baton Pass is the best option since because Huntail won't do much much damage against some foes without some Coil boosts. Be wary of Taunt users and do not attempt to set up in front of them. Huntail should avoid setting up against specially offensive Pokemon due to its poor special bulk, such as,(RC) Zebstrika, Roselia, Simipour,(AC) and Raichu. Huntail should also avoid setting up in front of strong Pokemon as well, such as Piloswine, Stoutland, and Pawniard. Huntail should set up in front of Pokemon that have moves which Huntail that it resists, such as,(RC) Pelipper and defensive Carracosta. There is no guarantee Huntail can setup Coil and then Baton Pass. Sometimes Huntail can be used to take an attack it resists and Baton Pass to a teammate to bring it in safely in.

Team Options
==========

Fire-types such as Ninetails Ninetales, Monferno, and Rapidash are great partners,(AC) as they can deal with Grass-types, which Huntail hates. Huntail can also Baton Pass the boosted stats to the latter two, making them dangerous threats to the foe. Electric-types such as Zebstrika is also a great partner are also great partners to Huntail because it they can deal with Poliwrath, as well as Grass-types with Overheat in Zebstrika's case. Stoutland, Sawsbuck,(AC) and Poliwrath appreciates the Coil Pass,(AC) which makes them dangerous threats to the foe, especially since as they already have decent bulk themselves. Golem, Piloswine, and Torterra are good partners, as they are immune to Electric-type attacks and can support Huntail with Stealth Rock. Roselia is a great partner to Huntail as well because it can check both Grass- and Electic-types while setting Spikes to aid Huntail's sweep. Jumpluff appreciates the Coil boost and can beat Grass-types. Huntail appreciates screens and Memento support, so Meowstic and Jumpluff are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Huntail can be a Shell Smash sweeper, but is outclassed by Barbaracle and Carracosta, who both of which have better coverage. An offensive Coil set can be used with Sucker Punch, Waterfall, and Ice Fang, but it's outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle as well,(RC) because Carracosta and Barbaracle can have an easier time setting up. Aqua Ring can be used to Baton Passed to a teammate giving to grant it recovery, but Huntail has no room for that.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Phazers**: Phazers such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, and Grumpig stops Huntail from setting up. The former can inflict damage with Circle Throw as well, while resisting both of Huntail's STAB moves.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Grumpig and Simipour can stop Huntail from setting up and rendering it useless.

**Grass- and Electric-types**: Huntail has a tough time breaking through Grass- and Electic- types, such as,(RC) Zebstrika, Gourgeist, Roselia,(AC) and Sawsbuck and risks getting KOed (' to e) by their STAB moves, which prevents Huntail from doing its job as a Baton Passer.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Simipour and Barbaracle take little from Huntail's STAB moves and can attack Huntail with their coverage move or use Huntail as setup fodder, making setup difficult for Huntail.

**Encore Users**: (removed dash, added colon) Encore users such as Kadabra can make Huntail use Coil repeatedly and can 2HKO with Psychic.

I made a few tense/possessive changes that only remove or add one letter from the end of a word so keep an eye open when implementing.

GP 1/2

feen

control
[OVERVIEW]

Huntail has a decent boosting move in Coil, which makes it a decent Baton Passer. However, with the Shell Smash + Baton Pass combination banned, it cannot pass with Shell Smash boosts to another Pokemon, which stops its main usage nullifies its original niche, and therefore so it relies on Coil to Baton Pass to its teammates. Although naturally bulkier, Huntail also faces competition with in Bulk Up + Baton Pass Floatzel, which has access to Taunt and (removed comma, added "and") is faster than Huntail, but Huntail has better bulk. It also faces competition from Barbaracle and Carracosta as a Shell Smash sweeper, as Barbaracle has Tough Claws as an ability and a better Speed, while Carracosta has better bulk and the ability Solid Rock. Huntail's low base 55 Speed stat of 55 limits its ability to be a Baton Passer, as it makes it vulnerable to Taunt and prone to being outsped and outclassed by Poliwrath and Simipour. Poliwrath and Simipour outspeeds and outclasses Huntail because of its low speed.

[SET]
move1: Coil
move2: Waterfall
move3: Baton Pass
move4: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
============

Coil gives Huntail a boost in Attack and Defense, making it able to take physical hits while Baton Passing to a teammate. Waterfall is the primary STAB which deals decent damage after a boost and it saves Huntail from being a complete fodder for Taunt and phazing fodder. Substitute can be used to block status ailments as well as let Huntail set up with Coil and give a safely Baton Pass to its teammate, giving Huntail an easy time to setup with Coil. It also stops Poliwrath from phazing it Huntail with Circle Throw. Baton Pass is used to transfers its stat boosts to its a teammates, which then threatens to sweep the opponent's team.

Set Details
==========

The EVs maximize Huntail's Defense making it able to so it can setup easier. Impish nature maximises maximizes Huntail's Defense, making it so it can tank physical hits more easily. Leftovers give passive recovery to Huntail, which is the only recovery option Huntail has. Water Veil makes Huntail immune to burns, which is useful when it's attacking. Huntail can also switch into Scald without risking the burn, and can setup on bulky Water-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
==========

Set up with Coil,(RC) and attempt to Baton Pass, either to pass its boosts of or gain momentum. It is recommended Stat boosts should be passed while Huntail is behind a Substitute so that its teammate does not take much damage. Only attack if forced to, otherwise,(RC) setting up with Coil, Substitute and using Baton Pass is the best option since because Huntail won't do much much damage against some foes without some Coil boosts. Be wary of Taunt users and do not attempt to set up in front of them. Huntail should avoid setting up against specially offensive Pokemon due to its poor special bulk, such as,(RC) Zebstrika, Roselia, Simipour,(AC) and Raichu. Huntail should also avoid setting up in front of strong Pokemon as well, such as Piloswine, Stoutland, and Pawniard. Huntail should set up in front of Pokemon that have moves which Huntail that it resists, such as,(RC) Pelipper and defensive Carracosta. There is no guarantee Huntail can setup Coil and then Baton Pass. Sometimes Huntail can be used to take an attack it resists and Baton Pass to a teammate to bring it in safely in.

Team Options
==========

Fire-types such as Ninetails Ninetales, Monferno, and Rapidash are great partners,(AC) as they can deal with Grass-types, which Huntail hates. Huntail can also Baton Pass the boosted stats to the latter two, making them dangerous threats to the foe. Electric-types such as Zebstrika is also a great partner are also great partners to Huntail because it they can deal with Poliwrath, as well as Grass-types with Overheat in Zebstrika's case. Stoutland, Sawsbuck,(AC) and Poliwrath appreciates the Coil Pass,(AC) which makes them dangerous threats to the foe, especially since as they already have decent bulk themselves. Golem, Piloswine, and Torterra are good partners, as they are immune to Electric-type attacks and can support Huntail with Stealth Rock. Roselia is a great partner to Huntail as well because it can check both Grass- and Electic-types while setting Spikes to aid Huntail's sweep. Jumpluff appreciates the Coil boost and can beat Grass-types. Huntail appreciates screens and Memento support, so Meowstic and Jumpluff are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Huntail can be a Shell Smash sweeper, but is outclassed by Barbaracle and Carracosta, who both of which have better coverage. An offensive Coil set can be used with Sucker Punch, Waterfall, and Ice Fang, but it's outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle as well,(RC) because Carracosta and Barbaracle can have an easier time setting up. Aqua Ring can be used to Baton Passed to a teammate giving to grant it recovery, but Huntail has no room for that.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Phazers**: Phazers such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, and Grumpig stops Huntail from setting up. The former can inflict damage with Circle Throw as well, while resisting both of Huntail's STAB moves.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Grumpig and Simipour can stop Huntail from setting up and rendering it useless.

**Grass- and Electric-types**: Huntail has a tough time breaking through Grass- and Electic- types, such as,(RC) Zebstrika, Gourgeist, Roselia,(AC) and Sawsbuck and risks getting KOed (' to e) by their STAB moves, which prevents Huntail from doing its job as a Baton Passer.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Simipour and Barbaracle take little from Huntail's STAB moves and can attack Huntail with their coverage move or use Huntail as setup fodder, making setup difficult for Huntail.

**Encore Users**: (removed dash, added colon) Encore users such as Kadabra can make Huntail use Coil repeatedly and can 2HKO with Psychic.

I made a few tense/possessive changes that only remove or add one letter from the end of a word so keep an eye open when implementing.

GP 1/2
Thanks bro. All implemented.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Huntail has a decent boosting move in Coil, which makes it a decent Baton Passer. However, with the Shell Smash + Baton Pass combination banned, it cannot pass Shell Smash boosts to another Pokemon, which nullifies its original niche, so it relies on Coil to Baton Pass to its teammates. Although it's naturally bulkier, Huntail also faces competition with Bulk Up + Baton Pass Floatzel, which has access to Taunt and is faster than Huntail. It also faces competition from Barbaracle and Carracosta as a Shell Smash sweeper, as Barbaracle has Tough Claws as an ability and a better Speed, while Carracosta has better bulk and the ability Solid Rock. Huntail's low base 55 52 Speed limits its ability to be a Baton Passer, as it makes it vulnerable to Taunt and prone to being outsped and outclassed (you sure this is the right word?) by Poliwrath and Simipour.

[SET]
move(space)1: Coil
move(space)2: Waterfall
move(space)3: Baton Pass
move(space)4: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
============

Coil gives Huntail a boosts in Attack and Defense, making it able to take physical hits while Baton Passing to a teammate. Waterfall deals decent damage after a boost and saves Huntail from being complete fodder for Taunt and phazing. Substitute can block status ailments as well as let Huntail setup with Coil and safely Baton Pass to its a teammate. It also stops Poliwrath from phazing Huntail with Circle Throw. Baton Pass transfers its Huntail's stat boosts to a teammate, which then threatens to sweep the opponent's team.

Set Details
==========

The EVs maximize Huntail's Defense so that it can set(space)up easier. An Impish nature maximizes Huntail's Defense so that it can it tank physical hits more easily. Leftovers gives passive recovery to Huntail, which is the only recovery option Huntail has. Water Veil makes Huntail immune to burns, which is useful when it's attacking. Huntail can also switch into Scald without risking the a burn, (RC) and can setup on bulky Water-type Pokemon.

Usage Tips
==========

Set up with Coil and attempt to Baton Pass, either to pass its Huntail's boosts or gain momentum. Stat boosts should be passed while Huntail is behind a Substitute so that its teammate does not take much damage. Only attack if forced to, as otherwise, (AC) setting up with Coil, Substitute and using Baton Pass is the best option because Huntail won't do much much damage against some foes without some Coil boosts. Be wary of Taunt users and do not attempt to set up in front of them. Huntail should avoid setting up against specially offensive Pokemon due to its poor special bulk, such as Zebstrika, Roselia, Simipour, and Raichu. Huntail should also avoid setting up in front of strong Pokemon such as Piloswine, Stoutland, and Pawniard. Huntail should set up in front of Pokemon that have moves that it resists, such as Pelipper and defensive Carracosta. There is no guarantee that Huntail can setup Coil and then Baton Pass. Sometimes Huntail can be used to take an attack it resists and Baton Pass to a teammate to bring it in safely.

Team Options
==========

Fire-types such as Ninetales, Monferno, and Rapidash are great partners, as they can deal with Grass-types, which Huntail hates. Huntail can also Baton Pass the boosted stats to the latter two, making them dangerous threats to the foe opposing team. Electric-types such as Zebstrika are also great partners to Huntail because they can deal with Poliwrath, as well as Grass-types with Overheat in Zebstrika's case and Zebstrika can also use Overheat to dispatch of Grass-types. Stoutland, Sawsbuck, and Poliwrath appreciate the Coil Pass being Baton Passed Coil boosts, which makes making them dangerous threats to the foe opposing team, especially as considering that they already have decent bulk themselves. Golem, Piloswine, and Torterra are good partners, as they are immune to Electric-type attacks and can support Huntail with Stealth Rock. Roselia is a great partner to Huntail as well because it can check both Grass- and Electic-types while setting Spikes to aid Huntail's sweep. Jumpluff appreciates the Coil boosts and can beat Grass-types. Huntail appreciates dual screens and Memento support, so Meowstic-M and Jumpluff are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Huntail can be a Shell Smash sweeper, but it is outclassed by Barbaracle and Carracosta, both of which have better coverage. An offensive Coil set can be used with Sucker Punch, Waterfall, and Ice Fang, but it's outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle as well because Carracosta and Barbaracle can have an easier time setting up. Aqua Ring can be Baton Passed to a teammate to grant it recovery, but Huntail has no room for that move.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Phazers**: Phazers such as Poliwrath, Avalugg, and Grumpig stops Huntail from setting up. The former can inflict damage with Circle Throw as well, (RC) while resisting both of Huntail's STAB moves.

**Grass- and Electric-types**: Huntail has a tough time breaking through Grass- and Electric- types, such as Zebstrika, Gourgeist (which one?), Roselia, and Sawsbuck and risks getting KOed by their STAB moves, which can prevents Huntail from doing its job as a Baton Passer.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Simipour and Barbaracle take little damage from Huntail's STAB moves and can attack Huntail with their coverage moves or use Huntail as setup fodder, making setup difficult for Huntail.

**Encore Users Kadabra**: Encore users such as Kadabra can use Encore to make Huntail use Coil repeatedly and can 2HKO it with Psychic. (Can any other Encore users 2HKO Huntail with Psychic?)

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)