1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Hurricane Hunters

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Dakar, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Dakar

Dakar

Hello Smogon RMT! I wanted to have a team for the upcoming Autumn Friendly (http://pglhelp.pokemon.com/en/gbu/autumn_friendly_2012/), but I was at a loss as to where to start, and how to(possibbly) intefrate members of my singles team. After reading up on the helpful articles on here, and doing some random matchup testing, I beleive it's ready to be presented, and critiqued!

Team At A Glance

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Iron Barbs
    Relaxed 128/0/252/0/130/0
    - Thunder Wave
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Curse

Ferrothorn is my bulky physical wall, and also a great lure for Chandelure (Heh!). Ferrotorn works wonders against rain teams, and unsuspecting Trick Room teams. I'll often switch into him to force a switch, and then set up a Thunder Wave on the incoming Pokemon. Especally if it's a Fire-type, I'll switch into Chandelure, absorb the Fire attack, and set up a sub. When not doing that, a Curse-boosted Gyro ball is often enough to 2HKO most threats.

[​IMG]
    Chandelure @ Leftovers
    Flash Fire
    Timid 0/0/0/252/6/252
    - Heat Wave
    - Substitue
    - Calm Mind
    - Shadow Ball

Chandelure works as a brilliant switch in for Ferrothorn and Scizor. Immune to both Fire- and Fighting- type attacks, as well as Hitmontop's Fake Out, he was made for double battles, He is always included when there's suspicion of a sun team, because with a Sun + Flash Fire + Sub-CalmMind, He can handle just about anything, and sweep like no one's business. I've noticed that my opponents will often ignore him when he's subbed, instead focusing on the un-subbed teammate, allowing him to get up 1 or 2 Calm Minds.

[​IMG]
    Haxorus @ Life Orb
    Mold Breaker
    Adamant 0/252/6/0/0/252
    - Dragon Claw
    - Outrage
    - Brick Break
    - Earthquke

Haxorus is my Speedy Attack sweeper. Outrage works well, although it's random, which is why Dragon Claw is there.When he gets brought out, it's to blast through anyting slower than 149 speed, untill he is killed, or kills himself. And that's about as advanced as he gets.

[​IMG]
    Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
    Dry Skin
    Adamant 246/252/12/0/0/0
    - Sucker Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Bulk Up
    - Substitue

This guy is like Chandelure's mirror image. Whereas Chandelure is a strong, Special wall/sweeper who does well in the sun, Toxicroak is a strong Physical wall/sweeper who does well in the rain. He pairs up great with Latios, letting Latios heal the substitute damage with Surf.

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Expert Belt
    Levitate
    Timid 6/0/0/252/0/252
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power (Fire)

Latios is a great mixed bag. His moveset gives almost perfect type coverage (The reason for the Expert Belt), rain boosts Surf, sun boosts Hidden Power. He teams well with Toxicroak, and Dragon pulse is a ridiculously powerful STAB move, without the stat drop that Draco Meteor brings.

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Technician
    Adamant 252/252/0/0/0/6
    - U-Turn
    - Pursuit
    - Bullet Punch
    - Super Power

And, finaly: Scizor! He's the bow to tie the whole team up. An immunity to sandstorm, a priority STAB move, great Chandelure bait, and able to reset the Choice Band untill the bitter end. He's a great revenge killer, and works as an Attack sweeper when Haxorus isn't viable. He's also a great lead, being able to get off a Bullet Punch first, do a U-Turn, or Pursuit on a predicted switch!

And that's all, folks! Rate, comment, give helpful advice, because the registration date is quickly approaching! Thanks for reading!​
  2. Mdevil

Mdevil

First off, liked for a doubles team on RMT, hardly ever seen. Now about your team, I understand your use of chandlure (I'm a chandy fan boy actually,) but for the sake of competitive play I do suggest using a Heatran, at least for your team. Reasoning time, you mentioned chandlure is here to abosrb the fire attacks aimed at scizor and ferro. Frankly, I feel your scizor should cover psychic and ghost types enough to have no need for chandy's shadowball and Heatran, of course, has his own fire stab while also being able to carry other moves for better coverage. The set (pretty new to posting so excuse bad formatting please)

Heatran @ Air balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Flame Charge
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden power Ice
    (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472141 not my set I just changed the item and one move)

This set seems odd at first but as Thespike323 (set's creator) put it, a plus one tran can out speed a dugtrio... Makes this a great sun counter...But in the end it is your call, thx for listening.
  3. Metroid78

Metroid78

Hi,

This is a cool team.But one problem I can think of is you don't have entry hazards so you should replace Chandelure for Heatran that Mdevill suggested but with this set:

[​IMG]

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power

I might edit this post later with more changes

Good Luck!
  4. PDC

PDC oasis
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Hello, and welcome to Smogon!

This team seems to be a bit mixxed up in some parts, and I really dislike how you have a lot of strange movesets on these Pokemon. For one, I suggest changing Latios to a Life Orb Varient over your current Expert Belt version. Using Psyshock and Recover over Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire gives you a bit more power along with some form of Recovery. I can also suggest trying a slightly different spread on Scizor of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef to give you a Stealth Rock number and a little bit extra special defense in the mix. You should also have Stealth Rock over Curse on Ferrothorn as a priority, as almost every team needs Stealth Rock support to break through tough Pokemon like Multiscale Dragonite. You should also try Flamethrower over Heat Wave on Chandeulure, as it is a much more accurate option.

Your team suffers from quite a lot of threats. Volcarona can destroy you along with some other sun threats, especially once they set up a Growth. Tornadus - T also can put a huge amount of damage on your team. You also have a large problem with having Toxicroak, who serves no use outside of Rain. Instead of adding a third steel type, I suggest trying out a different Pokemon over Toxicroak. You struggle with Mamoswine and would really appreciate a different check to it, so I suggest trying out Bulk Up Conkelldurr over Toxicroak. Not only can it perform well in this metagame thanks to the abundance of things it can set up on, but it also is a great option for your team, which really would appreciate a strong physical attacker. Now to help with the issue of Tornadus - T, which is quite the hard decision to make. I suggest trying out Bulky Rotom-W over Haxorus. Not only does this add a second check to the likes of other bulky waters, but it also gives you a firm check to the notorious Tornadus - T.

sets (open)

Conkelldurr @ Leftovers | Guts
    120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Ice Punch / Stone Edge

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
    248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)