1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Huy and Duy's Excellent Adventure [Worlds 2009 Warstory]

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by Huy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

First off, thank yous and shout outs are in order for everyone that made it possible for me to participate in this year's Pokemon Video Game World Championships.

Thanks to matamato, Carl, TTS, pookar, aldaron, tad38 and the rest of #smogon for supporting me through the tournament!

Thanks to Fish and mysteryman for making it all the way out to San Diego to watch!

Thanks to Carl, TTS, Fish, mysterman, and tad38 for the countless practice battles and advice that you gave me throughout the season.

Last but not least, thanks to zerowing for making it all happen. Without you, I wouldn't have been as successful as I was. I know you were expecting me to win and I'm sorry I didn't, but it was still a damn fine run for us. Your teams are brilliant and I must say that I am a HUGE fan of scarf Aboma and ExpertBelt Slowking. I fucking love you, man.

Now onward to San Diego!

Wednesday
    Though most of the VGC finalists arrived in San Diego on Wednesday, I was sadly stuck in Davis, attending my classes like a good boy. Such is life, I suppose.

Thursday
    The train used Screech! Defense down!
    This is where the fun starts. After another full day of classes, I made my two hour drive back home so I could pick up my parents and my brother. And thus begins the Excellent Adventure.

We arrive in San Diego just as the sun was setting. While the plane was landing we caught a glorious sunset over the ocean and I could feel that it would be a good weekend.

We pulled up to the Hilton at about 7 or 8 and we yelled to the cabbie "Yo homes smell you later!" After checking into the hotel and checking out the sweetass view:

[​IMG]

I decided to give mysteryman and zerowing a call to see what was going down that night. Mysteryman said that he would be back at the hotel after dinner and poor zerowing's tire blew on his way to SD so he was going to be late. Duy [my brother] and I wandered into the game room to check out the venue and needless to say it was quite breathtaking.

After taking in the glorious sights and sounds of the 4th floor ballroom (where the resident Pokenerds would be spending their weekend) we ran into one, PokemonBattleBrain, fresh off the train, also admiring the nerdery that was occuring in the 4th floor ballroom (referred to as the Sapphire Lounge of PKMN HQ from here on out]. After chatting for a bit, we decided to head down to the lobby to meet up with mysteryman and Team Deustchland. I was awestruck by both their immense size and their ability to down two-liter bottles of soda in one breath (or so it seemed). While we got acquainted with each other and prepared for a friendly warm-up tournament, mysteryman called up OmegaDonut to see if he would be down with playing with us. After shooting down his suggestion of having 14 dudes playing Pokemon in the hot tub, I was quite surprised to see him show up.

And so the practice tournament begins.
    I ran a team with Transform Smeargle (ala zerowing's fun zone aka Team SF) along with Relicanth, trying to set up double Relicanths for amazing HEAD SMASH POWER YEA! (it failed pretty badly).

While losing to Honchkrow a number of Team Smogon appeared in the lobby, namely Professor mingot, imperfectluck, Pokemom44, NeoSyrex, and ultimatedra. We hung out for a bit and caught up with each other and played some Pokemon. Good shit, like always with the smogon crew.

Soon after, I got a call from Fish and zerowing saying that they had just arrived in San Diego. After practicing with Vince (zerowing's apprentice as seen throughout the story) we rounded up a group of people to wander through the streets of San Diego to meet up with Grand Master zerowing. After traversing through the ghetto our fair little group (sixonesix, mattj, OmedaDonut, PBB, mysteryman, Duy, and myself) finally made it to their hotel.
    [​IMG]

After getting trolled by Fish and zerowing (pretty badly I might add! Come on guys. Fire stairs?) we hung out for a while as OmegaDonut was trying to ninja his way through the hotel room and stole various amounts of things from their hotel room (he managed to get out with just a flower and a sewing kit)
    [​IMG]

It was getting a little late so we headed back on the road to the hotel. We got caught behind a train for what seemed to be forever and made some Pokemon references along the way. And thus ended day 1 of the adventure.

Friday
    This is gameday son! In it to win it. Quack quack quack!

I got there especially early because I had late registration to do. After getting all of my registration stuff done, I wandered the venue with Duy, checking out stuff while waiting for everyone to show up. Close to 9, everyone began to shuffle into PKMN HQ. After filling out my info sheets and doing some trolling with zerowing and Fish, it was time to take our seats.

[​IMG]

After the opening ceremony, we got our battle pairings and I saw my first matchup. Chiaki Fukumori (JP). I was nervous as fuck going to my first match since Nationals. I had no idea what to expect. After winning my first match pretty handily, I failed to seal the deal during the second match because of same bad luck. Taking some wise advice that mysteryman gave me before the tournament, I pulled it out during the third match.
    [​IMG] Chiaki and I.

Relieved that I had made it through the first round against a very skilled opponent, I moved onto my second match. I was paired with resident Smognite NestW. Again, taking it to 3 matches, I made it to the third round undefeated.
    [​IMG]
    After beating NestW.

Round 3, however, was not so kind to me. I was matched against the Collector, slimceagirl and I had no idea what to expect. After winning the first match pretty handily, it was not a pretty sight the rest of the way through. I lost my first match of the day.

After Round 3, they gave us a lunch break. My parents had ordered Chinese food for everyone there so we had a nice lunch (while Paul just made a huge ass mess on the table cause he can’t use a fork.) The fortune cookies gave me some wise advice – to forget what happened the last round and to keep my eye on my goal.

Round 4, I was matched against another smogoner, Shoe. This match was very close and went right down to the wire. After losing the first match, I stole the next two in an improbable fashion, giving everyone that was watching the match a heart attack.

After that win, I was left at 3-1 with one of the highest opponent’s win percentage, so I controlled my own future from here on out. If I win, I make Top 4. If I lose, I end up somewhere in the Top 8. My opponent, Tasuko Mano (2nd place overall) proved to be no easy task. I was caught off guard by his Pokemon and everything ended up getting destroyed. I did manage to take it to a third match, but that did not end well either. I ended up disappointing the team.
    [​IMG]
    It's a bromance thing. Nick the announcer hearing I didn't make Top 4.

After watching the Top 4 matches and whatnot with TAY, sixonesix, mysteryman, and a host of other smogoners, my parents decided to take the group out to dinner. zerowing suggested Hooter’s so my parents obliged. Was it awkward with my parents and a bunch of Pokenerds hanging out at Hooter’s? Naw. That’s not how it is. We’re a damned close bunch of people. One of the girls in the party next to ours caught TAY and mysteryman on their DS’es playing Pokemon and turned around in disgust. Pft. What does she know? After parting ways with Fish and zerowing, the rest of the crew headed back out to the hotel.

As we got back to the hotel, we found Alakapimp and mingot chillin at PKMN HQ. Duy and I joined then and after a multi battle with Alakapimp and mingot’s daughter and some fine trolling from Professor mingot (THAT’S HOW YOU ROCK A HAT), we decided to call it a night and turn in.

Saturday
    Do you guys wanna play Mario and Luigi with me?
    Duy and I got downstairs pretty early and found zerowing and Fish waiting for Masuda’s autograph. Though we were there two hours early, it was still a good time. Soon after, mingot came down to chill with us while we did a MULTI BATTLE.

This was the highlight battle of the weekend.
    Duy and I had the thing in hand until I decided it would be a good idea to Waterfall zerowing’s Moltres with Fish’s Gastrodon in play. “Gyarados used WATERFALL! Gastrodon’s STORM DRAIN DREW IN THE ATTACK!” Fuck.

[​IMG] PAUL AND MASUDA.

After dealing with a creeper dude for a while and getting our autographs, we went to hunt for Pokemon Sunday. Our results are as follows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good times. Soon after, I went out with the family, came back to watch the finals and wandered over to play some Mario Party with Fish and zerowing where Duy and I pretty much rocked the entire game.

We came back to watch the closing ceremonies.
    [​IMG]

Afterwards, we gathered outside for some TEAM SMOGON PICTURES YEAH!
    [​IMG]
    I’m gonna miss all of you guys.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah. I know.

We parted ways with smogon afterwards. Fish, zerowing, ad my family decided to wander over to Seaport Village to hang out for a bit.

[​IMG]
    Oceanside bitches.

We discovered that all food items at this one shop was 4 dollars after 7pm and just went to town on the food, feasting on the menu. Except Fish. Him and his provolone fries cause they ran out of cheese for cheese fries. Heh.

We got back to the hotel around 9 and met up with TAY in the pool area. Talked to some juniors and all of a sudden, FIREWORKS! OUT OF NOWHERE! SURPRISE EXTRA CLOSING CEREMONY FOR POKEMONS? YEAH!

We hung out for a bit and met up with OmegaDonut and mingot and talked for a long long while. Had some good laughs before we all had to say goodbye to each other. I’m gonna miss all of you guys.

Duy and I walked zerowing and Fish out to the street to say our goodbyes. It’s safe to say that zerowing and Fish are the two people I’m closest to out of all these people that I met this summer. When it came time to handshakes, it turned to hugs. The hugs turned into me being carried across the street.

And so ended the adventure that I had in San Diego. It was one of the best weekends I’ve ever had in my life, and it was great to hang out with everyone. My only regret is that we only had one weekend to do it all. It was a short ride guys, but it was one hell of a ride.

To Fish, zerowing, and mingot:

I fucking love you guys. I mean it.

Also MoP. No homo. Love the Dong.
    Batpig out.
  2. EueuQ

EueuQ

10/10.

Would read again.
  3. Fish

Fish
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

posting because...

i fucking love you man

just wanna say

it wouldnt be the same without you

i fucking love you guys

oh wait, i feel obligated to point out the battle you and duy "had in hand" was because you brought a level 67 gengar and a level 78 gyarados to a level 50 battle. we still won. i love you all
  4. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

good read, i should of gone to hooters with yall ^_^

anyway hope to see you at worlds (or atleast nationals) next year
  5. POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN

POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN

"YOU GOT STORM DRAINED!"

batpig, awesome story, in fact I am going to read it again for the heck of it. I can't wait for next year and to see what kind of awesome team you will be sporting then. We should definitely meet up again at whichever stop for next year happens in the CA. ;)
  6. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

lol why didn't you go SLATERPORT CITY when you saw that nice view
  7. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Street PKMN means no rules brah.
  8. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

Ha! The train used screetch! I just now got it! XD

Excelent read man!
  9. dtrain

dtrain

Dude it was awesome hanging out with you. Why did it have to end so fast :( Oh and as for that girl at hooters, she was just jealous of our pokeman skilllzz;)
    I'm glad my advice paid off for you :D
    Lets do it again next year year and win it!!!!
  10. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

hi fish
  11. Diesel

Diesel

No battle recaps? >:(

Still great fun though.
  12. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

Great write-up dude! It's nice to see that you had a lot of fun and performed pretty well in the tournament. It's rather unfortunate that I didn't get to meet you at all this year but hopefully there will be a better selection process next year and I will see you next year!
  13. Picollo

Picollo

uuuh ooh

the real fish was there? .___." too bad that I didnt end up to meet him..you now old GSC Days blabla *nostalgia mode*

anyway nice read 10/10. =)
  14. Loki

Loki like seashells
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournamentis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Champion

shout out to my bro huy
  15. Aldaron

Aldaron wu tang clan ain't nothin to fuck wit
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

excellent
  16. Sidd

Sidd

nice adventure huy
  17. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

This was great. Mad props for writing all of this, I bet it was a huge effort!
  18. FiveKRunner

FiveKRunner

You're my hero Huy! I was really pulling for you to win it and even though you didn't go all the way, it was still a great performance.

It was awesome meeting you and your bro at Nationals and I look forward to next year's adventures of Team Bianca/Goblet/ZWing/Mighty Ducks!
  19. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah that was a pretty fun weekend man, it was good meeting you and Duy and zwing and fish and omegadonut and PBB and everyone else. Congrats on being the Pokemon hero of the USA!

Hope to see you guys next year if I can stop sucking at VGC =P
  20. Chill

Chill

Asian pokemon hitler.

That's all I have to say.
  21. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Fuckin love you man
  22. Alex Practice

Alex Practice

Transform smeargle? O_o

and hey! i used to live in oceanside XD
  23. KingEmpoleon

KingEmpoleon

I wish I could've been there..but yeah my team wasn't finished.
  24. its omar yo

its omar yo

good war story 10/10 from a nig
  25. Pokérob

Pokérob

Lmao, easy romeo. Sounds like you had a great time man. I'm sure we will all help you venture there again once more. ^_^

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)