Hydreigon (Analysis)

The Sazandora set I've had the most luck with is Substitute+3 Attacks.

@Life Orb / Leftovers
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

~Substitute
~Dark Pulse / Dragon Pulse
~Fire Blast
~Focus Blast / Surf

Dark Pulse is particularly good for hitting both Burungeru and Latios hard. Fire Blast is there of course to nail Nattorei, breaking the common Nattorei/Burungeru walling combination. KOing Latios ontop of that is extremely helpful. Focus Blast KOs Doryuzu, Heatran and Tyranitar, all of whom might come in on a STAB attack. Surf is a fine second option, but may not OHKO the first two mentioned Pokemon, and definitely doesn't OHKO Tyranitar. Of course, it's a power vs. accuracy argument. The best thing about this set is that you can bluff the common choiced variants (if you're holding Life Orb) and get a sub up on the switch, allowing you to get the jump on a wide variety of Pokemon. Not running Dragon STAB may become a problem for dealing with the likes of Dragonite, Salamence and Garchomp, but not running Dark STAB could give you issues with Burungeru and Rankurusu. In this case it depends on your team and how you deal with these Pokemon.

edit: Playing Dragon Pulse on this set also helps in dealing with Kingdra, switching in on a Pokemon that can't hurt you too much (common on rain teams thanks to Water resist) and getting that sub up. Dark Pulse on the other hand has Dream World applications, helping deal with Shandera. Finally, choosing Focus Blast over Surf helps deal with opposing Sazandora, and in Dream World, Ditto switch-ins.

Idk about a SubLO set, as it will be losing HP rather quickly and lacks recovery while not being particularly fast.

@Above: Sazandora is too slow to effectively use cheer up.

The sets currently up there are fine as it is. Sazandora's speed is a let-down when considering Cheer-Up.

I see the Choice Scarf set all the time though. Causes much more trouble than the Wallbreaker. I think it should be first, but that's just me.

dark pulse should definitely be mentioned at least somewhere. its a great way to deal with burungeru/dusclops/rankurusu. my favorite set personally is an all out attacker meant to be similar to starmie with it's excellent coverage.

Sazandora @ life orb/expert belt
Levitate
4 hp 252 SpAtk 252 Spe
Timid

-dragon pulse
-fire blast
-dark pulse
-focus blast

u-turn is on most sets but not this one because it should have a move for anything that switches in. focus blast hits heatran hard and murders the rampant tyranitars trolling the metagame. the real selling point of this set is its unmatched type coverage. everyone know the power of dragon/fire, resisted by one poke. one of the moves has stab, the other naturally has 120 base power. fighting/dark is also very common resisted by only 2 pokes, both of which relatively unseen in 5th gen ou. once again one of the moves has stab, the other; 120 base power. Sazandora's analysis would be a mile long if you made every possible set it could run. higher attack than flygon, outrage, u-turn, could also make him as scarfgon was last gen.

...<p>Dark Pulse is an option over Surf and U-Turn, if only for the STAB you gain for it. It also hits Burungeru, Dusclops and Rankurusu hard.</p>...
Don't worry, Dark Pulse already has a mention. Thanks for pointing it out anyway M.Senior.

to be honest I dont see the big deal with this thing
Hmm maybe you need an eye checkup, then? I hope you will then be able to ''see'' what the big deal is with ''this thing''. Welcome to Smogon by the way.

As CTNC pointed out, the English name has not been confirmed.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone.

However, Burungru can take a Draco Meteor with its excellent Special Defense, hel off the damage taken before it gets Taunted, and then proceed to wear down Sazandora with Ice Beam.
Hello. I was just reading through some analyses when I saw this (underlined). I believe you meant "heal."

I think Charge Beam should be removed from even Option Changes, since if you're that determined to run a boosting sweeper, Cheer Up is far more reliable.

I tried a Physically-based Mixed set, which works very well. Gets Blissey everytime.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb

Lonely / Naughty
252 Atk - 44 SpA - 212 Spe

-Crunch
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast

I used to run max speed, but the added power from Adamant is more much significant from experience.
The advantage of this guy over, say, Mixmence, is the great dual physical STAB. Being able to hit hard on the physical side without resorting to Outrage is pretty neat. It also lures Special walls such as Blissey or Jellicent easily. It really catches Blissey off-guard, and with SR and Lefties factored in , you will be 2HKOing any version with Crunch+Outrage (even 2HKO with Crunch if you get a Def drop) 100% of the time.

Draco Meteor and Fire Blast slaughter physical walls who tries to come in after they've seen Crunch.

The speed lets it outspeed positive base 80. As I said, you can go 252 and Hasty but I haven't found the physical power drop to be worth it.

I've found this to be a great wallbreaker and an fun way of using Hydreigon, you should try it out.

However, Burungeru can take a Draco Meteor with its excellent Special Defense, heal off the damage taken before it gets Taunted, and then proceed to wear down Sazandora with Ice Beam. Therefore, running Dragon Pulse will help you stall out Burungeru.</p>
I'd remove this completely. Buru takes a fuckton from Draco Meteor (I don't think it can switch in to take 2 after SR), and is SLOWER, thus you can taunt it to prevent it from even using Recover. Surprised at the lack of Dark Pulse. It should at least get a mention, as it hurts Buru and can OHKO a few pokemon (the ones weak to it) without having to drop your SpA. Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Dark Pulse is actually fine coverage. I wouldn't worry about Heatran too much, as offensive versions still do not appreciate taking a Draco Meteor and this analysis imples that Heatran walls the set. Draco does a good 45-50%ish and pops the balloon....

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Iconic and I were discussing your analysis on IRC and decided that everything looks good. However, there are two minor changes we'd like you to make:

1. Change the name of the Stall Breaker to something along the lines of 'Life Orb' or 'Life Orb Special.' I don't really see how Sazandora is breaking stall; sure, it can Taunt Chansey and Blissey and prevent them from healing, but otherwise, you're completely walled by them, and they have the option of wearing you down with Seismic Toss. Additionally, without any form of recovery, Sazandora will eventually be worn down by Stealth Rock + Life Orb damage (if sandstorm is in play, it's even worse!); stall teams can also take advantage of their resistances to wear down Sazandora: go to a Steel-type to take the Draco Meteor, switch to another 'mon to take the Fire Blast. After that, it's basically a prediction game.
  2. Where you mention a mixed set in Other Options, make sure to list some moves Sazandora can actually use on the set: a set of Outrage, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Crunch / U-turn looks nice (Iconic and I aren't sure if mixed Sazandora should be its own set; other QC members are welcome to chime in here).
That's all. Just make sure to beef up your writing when you can; your analysis is quite terse at the moment.

QC APPROVED (3/3)

Now that my finals are (finally) over, I can devote almost all my time to my analyses. The suggested changes have been made, and once I beef up this analysis, I will add it to the GP Queue. Thanks for the QC Checks, PK Gaming and Bloo.

Just a quick note, in AC on the Scarf set, you mention that Modest is the preferred nature and then state that Timid is required. Timid is also the only nature listed on the set with no slash from Modest (as it should be). I'm guessing that Modest is a continued reference to the Specs set, but the line should be clarified.

Change the EVs from 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to avoid an extra Stealth Rock damage. Choiced Hydreigon is going to switch in and out very often, might as well have a spread that doesn't get hurt too much by the rocks. Same for Life Orb: you want to be as healthy as possible to abuse Life Orb to death.

Should clarify this:

Hydreigon with 4 HP EVs:
HP: 326
Damage taken from Stealth Rock: 326 * 12.5 / 100 = 40.75
= 40 (rounded down)
Damage taken from Life Orb: 326 * 10 / 100 = 32.6
= 32 (rounded down)

Hydreigon without 4 HP EVs
HP: 325
Damage taken from Stealth Rock: 325 * 12.5 / 100 = 40.625
= 40 (rounded down)
Damage taken from Life Orb: 325 * 10 / 100 = 32.5
= 32 (rounded down)

Unless I am badly mistaken, Hydreigon is going to take the same amount of damage from LO recoil and SR, regardless of whether it invests 4 EVs in HP or not.

I am also beefing up the analysis. Once I am done, I shall add it to the GP Queue and open it for GP Checks.

I think that you should maybe slash Dark Pulse in the Specs set over Dragon Pulse, since it squashes stuff like Jellicent and Reuniclus without having to rely on Draco Meteor.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
GP Check. However, I am not a member of the GP team so I can only give you a tramp stamp, not a GP stamp.

[OVERVIEW]
<p>With a fantastic movepool, wonderful mixed attacking stats, and nice 92 HP / 90 Def / 90 SpD base defensive stats defenses, Hydreigon is a Pokemon to watch out for. It can switch in easily using its good defenses and Levitate, and then proceed to punch holes in the opponent's team. However, Hydreigon is severly hampered by its odd 98 base Speed, which leaves it outsped by an entire a host of Pokemon. Dark / Dragon is not exactly a great defensive typing either, as the Dark typing gives Hydreigon unwanted weaknesses to Fighting- and Bug-type attacks. Still, underestimate Hydreigon at your own peril, as it can easily plough through entire teams if given even the slightest chance to do so.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Taunt
move 4: U-turn / Surf
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
ability: Levitate
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Taunt, U-turn, and a powerful Draco Meteor coming from 125 base Special Attack, Hydreigon can function as an effective stallbreaker. STAB Draco Meteor, coming from 384 Special Attack, can significantly dent even special walls like such as Chansey, Blissey and Jellicent. However, due to the resulting two-stage Special Attack drop, Hydreigon will more often than not be forced to switch after using Draco Meteor once. For this reason, Dragon Pulse can be used instead of Draco Meteor as a safer, albeit much weaker, option. Taunt is a must on this set, as it shuts down walls like such as Blissey and Ferrothorn, and helps to break through stall in general.</p>

<p>Fire Blast roasts Steel-type Pokemon like Nattorei and Skarmory who think they can take Hydreigon's STAB Dragon-type attacks, providing good neutral coverage along with Hydreigon's Dragon-type attack of choice. For the last move, there are two options. U-turn allows you to maintain offensive pressure and deal heavy damage to Reuniclus, Celebi, and other Psychic-type Pokemon. On the other hand, Surf hits Heatran, who would otherwise wall this set. hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>252 EVs are invested in Speed, giving Hydreigon 295 Speed. When using a Timid nature instead of a Modest nature, Haxorus is the only other Pokemon of note who is outsped. A Modest nature thus gives Hydreigon more power without much loss in reliabilty. Since U-turn is meant primarily for scouting, the Attack drop from using a Modest nature does not cause any issues isn't a problem. 252 EVs are put in Special Attack, maximising the power of Hydreigon's special attacks. The remaining 4 EVs are invested in HP.</p>

<p>Even though Blissey walls this set and can wear down Hydreigon with Seismic Toss, Taunt prevents it from healing any damage taken. This will allow a teammate to eliminate Blissey easily. Dark Pulse is another STAB move that Hydreigon can put to good use. It hits Pokemon like Jellicent, Reuniclus and Latios hard. However, finding a moveslot for it is difficult, as Hydreigon is hard-pressed for moveslots as it is.</p>

<p>Hydreigon will find it tough to cannot take on Heatran if it does not carry Surf. For this reason, Pokemon such as Starmie or Blaziken can be used along with Hydreigon. Blaziken, in addition to taking care of Heatran, can also eliminate Chansey and Blissey with its powerful STAB Fighting-type attacks. Starmie can also permanently cripple the aforementioned special walls with Trick.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Surf / U-turn
item: Choice Specs
EV's: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hydreigon is also an excellent Choice Specs user. This set aims to hit as hard as possible with Hydreigon's huge 125 base Special Attack [/s]which is[/s] , further boosted by Choice Specs. Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse allow Hydreigon hit very hard while also maintaining reliability Reliability was spelled incorrectly. Also, Draco Meteor does not maintain reliability, which your sentence implies. Flamethrower decimates Steel-type walls like such as Nattorei and Skarmory.</p>

<p>Once again, there are two options for the last moveslot. Surf deals massive damage to Heatran, who will otherwise wall this set or even and possibly gain a Flash Fire boost by switching into a predicted Flamethrower. On the other hand, U-turn maintains offensive pressure, and also hurts Blissey. Both moves can be run on the same set, but this is not advised, as it requires the removal of either Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The 64 HP EVs help Hydreigon take Mach Punch from Adamant Roobushin, along with other strong priority attacks. 192 Speed EVs give Hydreigon 280 Speed, enabling it to outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 90 and a neutral nature. 252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature, in conjunction with Choice Specs, give Hydreigon a huge 576 Special Attack. However, if you wish to outspeed Jolly Haxorus and tie with other Hydreigon, run a Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Hydreigon punches holes in the opponent's team, allowing a fast sweeper such as Starmie to clean up the remains. However, you need to need to eliminate Blissey and Chansey to let this set function to its reach maximum potential. Taunt Thundurus is an excellent choice, as it can 2HKO Blissey with Hammer Arm, preventing and prevent recovery with Taunt.</p>

<p>Dark Pulse is an option over Surf and U-Turn, if only for the STAB you gain for it. It also hits Jellicent, Dusclops and Reuniclus hard super-effectively. Earthquake or Earth Power can also be used instead of Surf, but its only purpose is to hit both Heatran and Empoleon for super effective damage in addition to Heatran. Surf is generally the better option, as it offers better coverage overall.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Scarf, Hydreigon can function as an effective revenge killer; abusing its great movepool. Draco Meteor is your primary STAB move, and coming off base 125 Special Attack- will severely (spelling) dent if not or OHKO a large number of Pokemon. Fire Blast has excellent coverage, finishing off any Steel-type Pokemon who switch in to wall Hydreigon's STAB Dragon- or Dark-type moves.</p>

<p>U-turn allows Hydreigon to switch out and scout any switch-ins. Focus Blast is used in the last slot to let Hydreigon hit Heatran, Tyranitar, Porygon2 and Empoleon hard super-effectively. Without Focus Blast, Hydreigon will struggle to damage the aforementioned Pokemon significantly since its other attacks are not boosted by its hold item. For this reason, Focus Blast is preferred to Surf.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>252 EVs are invested both in Speed and Special Attack, while the remaining 4 EVs are put in HP. A Timid nature helps Hydreigon outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Haxorus, along with Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp. Since U-turn is meant mainly for scouting purposes, the Attack drop from using a Timid nature is not an issue. Using either a Hasty or a Naive nature will lower Hydreigon's defenses, and is thus not advised.</p>

<p>Dragon Pulse can be used to have a reliable STAB option, instead of having to rely on Draco Meteor as your only Dragon-type STAB attack. A moveslot for the same can be created by dropping U-turn, but keep in mind that you will lose the ability to scout switch-ins and maintain offensive pressure, which is important on just about any Pokemon with a Choice Scarf. Special walls like Blissey and Jellicent will wall this set cold. A stallbreaker such as Thundurus will thus make a great teammate for Hydreigon, as it can deal with the aforementioned walls with a combination of Taunt and either Hammer Arm or Thunderbolt.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>A Ghost-type Pokemon would help helps Hydreigon immensely by taking the Fighting- and Bug-type attacks that Hydreigon is weak to. As such, Jellicent is an excellent choice since it has excellent defensive synergy with Hydreigon. It can cripple opposing sweepers with Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, and also soften up Pokemon with Surf, Shadow Ball or Ice Beam to help Hydreigon net KOes. Eviolite Dusclops is another good option. It has excellent mixed defensive stats, and can wear down both sweepers and walls alike with Night Shade, Toxic and Pain Split.</p>

<p>Hydreigon also appreciates team support to help it outspeed faster foes. This can either be in the form of from Baton Passing Speed boosts through Ninjask, or through Thunder Wave support from bulky support Pokemon like Blissey, Jirachi and Ferrothorn.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Hydreigon also has the defenses to run a bulky support set consisting of Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, Taunt, and Substitute with defensive EVs, but it would be a sheer waste of its offensive potential. However, such a set would work out well with entry hazard support.</p>

<p>Charge Beam is an option to boost your Special Attack and attempt a sweep, but its inaccuracy can cause issues. Moreover, the SpA boost is not a guaranteed one. Hydreigon can also run a mixed set as it has a with its usable base 105 Attack and a good mixed movepool to go with its high base 125 Special Attack. A mixed set consisting of Outrage, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Crunch / U-turn might work out works well on paper. However, the given sets pretty much cover Hydreigon's offensive capabilities perfectly.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Hydreigon's counters are far and few between few and far between, as with its good defensive stats it can take just about any neutral hit and retaliate with a strong attack. However, its weakness to common Fighting-type attacks and low Speed will ultimately be its bane.</p>

<p>Conkeldurr with a 252 HP / 252 SpD EV spread can take any attack which Hydreigon's throws at it barring a Choice Specs Draco Meteor, and KO Hydreigon with a combination of Drain Punch and Mach Punch. Speedy Fighting-type Pokemon such as Infernape, Keldeo (Keldeo is an unreleased event pokemon, should it be listed here?), and Terrakion can exploit Hydreigon's average Speed and KO it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, these Pokemon have to be careful when they switch into Hydreigon, since they will take massive damage from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p> FewPokemon that can actually wall Hydreigon are few in number. Heatran walls Hydreigon with its Fire / Steel typing unless it carries Surf, and can 2HKO it Hydreigon with Dragon Pulse. Special walls such as Chansey and Jellicent can easily wall the Choice sets, and wear down Hydreigon with Seismic Toss and Ice Beam respectively.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Hydreigon gets no ability through the Dream World.</p>

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check. However, I am not a member of the GP team so I can only give you a tramp stamp, not a GP stamp.

[OVERVIEW]
<p>With a fantastic movepool, wonderful mixed attacking stats, and nice 92 HP / 90 Def / 90 SpD base defensive stats defenses, Hydreigon is a Pokemon to watch out for. It can switch in easily using its good defenses and Levitate, and then proceed to punch holes in the opponent's team. However, Hydreigon is severly hampered by its odd 98 base Speed, which leaves it outsped by an entire a host of Pokemon. Dark / Dragon is not exactly a great defensive typing either, as the Dark typing gives Hydreigon unwanted weaknesses to Fighting- and Bug-type attacks. Still, underestimate Hydreigon at your own peril, as it can easily plough through entire teams if given even the slightest chance to do so.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Taunt
move 4: U-turn / Surf
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Taunt, U-turn, and a powerful Draco Meteor coming from 125 base Special Attack, Hydreigon can function as an effective stallbreaker. STAB Draco Meteor, coming from 384 Special Attack, can significantly dent even special walls like such as Chansey, Blissey and Jellicent. However, due to the resulting two-stage Special Attack drop, Hydreigon will more often than not be forced to switch after using Draco Meteor once. For this reason, Dragon Pulse can be used instead of Draco Meteor as a safer, albeit much weaker, option. Taunt is a must on this set, as it shuts down walls like such as Blissey and Ferrothorn, and helps to break through stall in general.</p>

<p>Fire Blast roasts Steel-type Pokemon like Nattorei and Skarmory who think they can take Hydreigon's STAB Dragon-type attacks, providing good neutral coverage along with Hydreigon's Dragon-type attack of choice. For the last move, there are two options. U-turn allows you to maintain offensive pressure and deal heavy damage to Reuniclus, Celebi, and other Psychic-type Pokemon. On the other hand, Surf hits Heatran, who would otherwise wall this set. hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>252 EVs are invested in Speed, giving Hydreigon 295 Speed. When using a Timid nature instead of a Modest nature, Haxorus is the only other Pokemon of note who is outsped. A Modest nature thus gives Hydreigon more power without much loss in reliabilty. Since U-turn is meant primarily for scouting, the Attack drop from using a Modest nature does not cause any issues isn't a problem. 252 EVs are put in Special Attack, maximising the power of Hydreigon's special attacks. The remaining 4 EVs are invested in HP.</p>

<p>Even though Blissey walls this set and can wear down Hydreigon with Seismic Toss, Taunt prevents it from healing any damage taken. This will allow a teammate to eliminate Blissey easily. Dark Pulse is another STAB move that Hydreigon can put to good use. It hits Pokemon like Jellicent, Reuniclus and Latios hard. However, finding a moveslot for it is difficult, as Hydreigon is hard-pressed for moveslots as it is.</p>

<p>Hydreigon will find it tough to cannot take on Heatran if it does not carry Surf. For this reason, Pokemon such as Starmie or Blaziken can be used along with Hydreigon. Blaziken, in addition to taking care of Heatran, can also eliminate Chansey and Blissey with its powerful STAB Fighting-type attacks. Starmie can also permanently cripple the aforementioned special walls with Trick.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Surf / U-turn
item: Choice Specs
EV's: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hydreigon is also an excellent Choice Specs user. This set aims to hit as hard as possible with Hydreigon's huge 125 base Special Attack [/s]which is[/s] , further boosted by Choice Specs. Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse allow Hydreigon hit very hard while also maintaining reliability Reliability was spelled incorrectly. Also, Draco Meteor does not maintain reliability, which your sentence implies. Flamethrower decimates Steel-type walls like such as Nattorei and Skarmory.</p>

<p>Once again, there are two options for the last moveslot. Surf deals massive damage to Heatran, who will otherwise wall this set or even and possibly gain a Flash Fire boost by switching into a predicted Flamethrower. On the other hand, U-turn maintains offensive pressure, and also hurts Blissey. Both moves can be run on the same set, but this is not advised, as it requires the removal of either Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The 64 HP EVs help Hydreigon take Mach Punch from Adamant Roobushin, along with other strong priority attacks. 192 Speed EVs give Hydreigon 280 Speed, enabling it to outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 90 and a neutral nature. 252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature, in conjunction with Choice Specs, give Hydreigon a huge 576 Special Attack. However, if you wish to outspeed Jolly Haxorus and tie with other Hydreigon, run a Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Hydreigon punches holes in the opponent's team, allowing a fast sweeper such as Starmie to clean up the remains. However, you need to need to eliminate Blissey and Chansey to let this set function to its reach maximum potential. Taunt Thundurus is an excellent choice, as it can 2HKO Blissey with Hammer Arm, preventing and prevent recovery with Taunt.</p>

<p>Dark Pulse is an option over Surf and U-Turn, if only for the STAB you gain for it. It also hits Jellicent, Dusclops and Reuniclus hard super-effectively. Earthquake or Earth Power can also be used instead of Surf, but its only purpose is to hit both Heatran and Empoleon for super effective damage in addition to Heatran. Surf is generally the better option, as it offers better coverage overall.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Scarf, Hydreigon can function as an effective revenge killer; abusing its great movepool. Draco Meteor is your primary STAB move, and coming off base 125 Special Attack- will severely (spelling) dent if not or OHKO a large number of Pokemon. Fire Blast has excellent coverage, finishing off any Steel-type Pokemon who switch in to wall Hydreigon's STAB Dragon- or Dark-type moves.</p>

<p>U-turn allows Hydreigon to switch out and scout any switch-ins. Focus Blast is used in the last slot to let Hydreigon hit Heatran, Tyranitar, Porygon2 and Empoleon hard super-effectively. Without Focus Blast, Hydreigon will struggle to damage the aforementioned Pokemon significantly since its other attacks are not boosted by its hold item. For this reason, Focus Blast is preferred to Surf.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>252 EVs are invested both in Speed and Special Attack, while the remaining 4 EVs are put in HP. A Timid nature helps Hydreigon outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Haxorus, along with Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp. Since U-turn is meant mainly for scouting purposes, the Attack drop from using a Timid nature is not an issue. Using either a Hasty or a Naive nature will lower Hydreigon's defenses, and is thus not advised.</p>

<p>Dragon Pulse can be used to have a reliable STAB option, instead of having to rely on Draco Meteor as your only Dragon-type STAB attack. A moveslot for the same can be created by dropping U-turn, but keep in mind that you will lose the ability to scout switch-ins and maintain offensive pressure, which is important on just about any Pokemon with a Choice Scarf. Special walls like Blissey and Jellicent will wall this set cold. A stallbreaker such as Thundurus will thus make a great teammate for Hydreigon, as it can deal with the aforementioned walls with a combination of Taunt and either Hammer Arm or Thunderbolt.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>A Ghost-type Pokemon would help helps Hydreigon immensely by taking the Fighting- and Bug-type attacks that Hydreigon is weak to. As such, Jellicent is an excellent choice since it has excellent defensive synergy with Hydreigon. It can cripple opposing sweepers with Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, and also soften up Pokemon with Surf, Shadow Ball or Ice Beam to help Hydreigon net KOes. Eviolite Dusclops is another good option. It has excellent mixed defensive stats, and can wear down both sweepers and walls alike with Night Shade, Toxic and Pain Split.</p>

<p>Hydreigon also appreciates team support to help it outspeed faster foes. This can either be in the form of from Baton Passing Speed boosts through Ninjask, or through Thunder Wave support from bulky support Pokemon like Blissey, Jirachi and Ferrothorn.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Hydreigon also has the defenses to run a bulky support set consisting of Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, Taunt, and Substitute with defensive EVs, but it would be a sheer waste of its offensive potential. However, such a set would work out well with entry hazard support.</p>

<p>Charge Beam is an option to boost your Special Attack and attempt a sweep, but its inaccuracy can cause issues. Moreover, the SpA boost is not a guaranteed one. Hydreigon can also run a mixed set as it has a with its usable base 105 Attack and a good mixed movepool to go with its high base 125 Special Attack. A mixed set consisting of Outrage, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Crunch / U-turn might work out works well on paper. However, the given sets pretty much cover Hydreigon's offensive capabilities perfectly.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Hydreigon's counters are far and few between few and far between, as with its good defensive stats it can take just about any neutral hit and retaliate with a strong attack. However, its weakness to common Fighting-type attacks and low Speed will ultimately be its bane.</p>

<p>Conkeldurr with a 252 HP / 252 SpD EV spread can take any attack which Hydreigon's throws at it barring a Choice Specs Draco Meteor, and KO Hydreigon with a combination of Drain Punch and Mach Punch. Speedy Fighting-type Pokemon such as Infernape, Keldeo (Keldeo is an unreleased event pokemon, should it be listed here?), and Terrakion can exploit Hydreigon's average Speed and KO it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, these Pokemon have to be careful when they switch into Hydreigon, since they will take massive damage from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p> FewPokemon that can actually wall Hydreigon are few in number. Heatran walls Hydreigon with its Fire / Steel typing unless it carries Surf, and can 2HKO it Hydreigon with Dragon Pulse. Special walls such as Chansey and Jellicent can easily wall the Choice sets, and wear down Hydreigon with Seismic Toss and Ice Beam respectively.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Hydreigon gets no ability through the Dream World.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)